Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Non-English (New) Avengers articles: the translations

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jul 2009, 14:27

Re: Dutch new Avengers articles: the translations

Yeah I just read LUV and thought the same thing. Ah well, everyone can have their guilty pleasures, especially as teenagers :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 19 Jul 2009, 17:49

Philippa wrote:Yeah I just read LUV and thought the same thing. Ah well, everyone can have their guilty pleasures, especially as teenagers :lol:

Well , you all know mine now ... :whistle: :grin:
But don't worry , I'm over it ... ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 Jul 2009, 19:12

Eric wrote:But don't worry , I'm over it ... ^^

Well, I can see why: their most recent performances were a true embarrassement, I thought.

But yeah, guilty pleasues, we've all got them. Mine is reality TV. :whistle:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jul 2009, 19:34

The translation:

Mystery involving a bed scene in The New Avengers

“Will Purdey fall for Gambit in the end?”

Of course everyone knows the beautiful Purdey and the tough Gambit, the two young assistants of John Steed in the popular TV series The Avengers. Their cool and hidden away love for each other is well known to the viewers by now. The two clearly have feelings for each other, but so far there have been no signs of any romantic scenes. However, in the new series this will change.
“I want to get rid of Purdey’s cool image, she recently told our English correspondent.
In the new series I’ll of course still handle guns and give karate kicks, because that’s what it’s all about, but you’ll get to see another side of Purdey as well. A girl of flesh and blood, who’s capable of falling in love.
So far a few bed scenes have been shot. Nothing vulgar, but really beautifully shot. If it’s Gambit who gets me there? I’m not going to tell. Let’s keep the suspense going a little while longer.

So far we got to see re-runs of the previous series. Soon we’ll get to see the first episodes of the new series, for which filming is still taking place in London. So will Purdey eventually fall for Gambit, or will have a romantic adventure with another boy? For now that question will remain unanswered. The truth is, that off-set, the two get along really well.
“He’s become a very close friend of mine, but there’s no romantic involvement. I’ve been through too much in my life to want to get involved with anyone right now. For now I’m enjoying my freedom far too much.”

I'm not too happy with this translation, but I just did this quickly. It wasn't written very well either, and they kept referring to Joanna and Gareth as Purdey and Gambit. Plus they are mentioning things that aren't true at all, or were at least never shown..

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 Jul 2009, 19:57

Philippa wrote:The translation:

Mystery involving a bed scene in The New Avengers

“Will Purdey fall for Gambit in the end?”

Of course everyone knows the beautiful Purdey and the tough Gambit, the two young assistants of John Steed in the popular TV series The Avengers. Their cool and hidden away love for each other is well known to the viewers by now. The two clearly have feelings for each other, but so far there have been no signs of any romantic scenes. However, in the new series this will change.
“I want to get rid of Purdey’s cool image, she recently told our English correspondent.
In the new series I’ll of course still handle guns and give karate kicks, because that’s what it’s all about, but you’ll get to see another side of Purdey as well. A girl of flesh and blood, who’s capable of falling in love.
So far a few bed scenes have been shot. Nothing vulgar, but really beautifully shot. If it’s Gambit who gets me there? I’m not going to tell. Let’s keep the suspense going a little while longer.

So far we got to see re-runs of the previous series. Soon we’ll get to see the first episodes of the new series, for which filming is still taking place in London. So will Purdey eventually fall for Gambit, or will have a romantic adventure with another boy? For now that question will remain unanswered. The truth is, that off-set, the two get along really well.
“He’s become a very close friend of mine, but there’s no romantic involvement. I’ve been through too much in my life to want to get involved with anyone right now. For now I’m enjoying my freedom far too much.”

I'm not too happy with this translation, but I just did this quickly. It wasn't written very well either, and they kept referring to Joanna and Gareth as Purdey and Gambit. Plus they are mentioning things that aren't true at all, or were at least never shown..

Thanks Philippa! I got the gist when I tried the translator, and I noticed how they kept calling them Purdey and Gambit, not Joanna and Gareth. Sounds a bit like a tabloid rumour mill article, actually, because knowing Joanna's stance on sex in the series, I can't imagine she'd say what they have her saying. I certainly can't see her talking about the beauty of love scenes. :lol:

I do like the idea of some action on the Purdey/Gambit front though. Not love scenes maybe, but it would have been nice if they got together at the end of the series. :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jul 2009, 20:10

Yes it seemed a bit gossip-y, didn't it? Totally not the kind of things Joanna would ever say :lol:
But of course I wouldn't mind Purdey/Gambit together-ness either :wub:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jul 2009, 20:31

Philippa wrote:Yes it seemed a bit gossip-y, didn't it? Totally not the kind of things Joanna would ever say :lol:
But of course I wouldn't mind Purdey/Gambit together-ness either :wub:

Somebody at that magazine was a Purdey/Gambit fan, methinks. :wub: It's a little bit right, because we did have Obsession, with Purdey and Larry, but that's not quite the same. Here they're talking full-on romance with bedroom shots. Full-on sex scenes would never have been allowed on TNA, but a little of Purdey and Gambit getting, er, "interested" in each other wouldn't go amiss.
<<

Philippa

Post 20 Jul 2009, 16:31

Yes I wonder how much of that article was just made up. I would be surprised if full-on romance and bedroom shots were ever made. It's so very un-avengerish, and it could've done a lot of damage to the credibility of the show, especially with it being a continuation of such a succesful show which already underwent so much criticism.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Jul 2009, 17:07

Philippa wrote:Yes I wonder how much of that article was just made up. I would be surprised if full-on romance and bedroom shots were ever made. It's so very un-avengerish, and it could've done a lot of damage to the credibility of the show, especially with it being a continuation of such a succesful show which already underwent so much criticism.

Probably a lot of it was fabricated. I can pretty much guarantee they never shot bedroom scenes--Joanna and Gareth would never have agreed to it (Gareth was just as reluctant to do all the romance and stripping off as Joanna). I don't think Brian Clemens would have written it, either--he was all for ambiguity and interpretation and leaving it in the minds of the viewer. How much do you want to bet that this article came out of all the noise the French made about how the show and Purdey should be "sexier"? :roll:
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 21 Jul 2009, 14:31

Hmmm.. Intresting. :lol:
Thanks for translating Philippa
<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 21 Jul 2009, 16:53

Don't worry Philippa, it's great ! ^^
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Philippa

Post 25 Jul 2009, 08:21

Well it could've been better, I barely spend 10 minutes on it :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:04

I know it's not in Dutch, but German, but this seemed like the best place for the German TNA article. Here we go:

Page one
Page two
Photo Spread

I had to paste the photo spread together myself because it was too big for my scanner, and I botched it a bit. Best I could do, though. But there are some very good modelling shots of Joanna. She looks very fresh and healthy in these. :grin: Enjoy!
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:06

Thanks for the scans! I'll have a look at the article later, and see if I can make a half decent translation out of it. (mind you, my knowledge of German is not that brilliant)

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:12

Philippa wrote:(mind you, my knowledge of German is not that brilliant)

Neither is mine, but I think we should be able to do this. I love how they keep calling her ''the new mrs. Peel''. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:14

The 3rd Emma :lol:
Back then, they'd obviously never heard of Cathy.
And it says that they made her cut her hair short for the role..

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:16

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:(mind you, my knowledge of German is not that brilliant)

Neither is mine, but I think we should be able to do this. I love how they keep calling her ''the new mrs. Peel''. :lol:

Well, mine's pretty much non-existant, so whatever you can manage would be brilliant. Thanks guys! :grin:

Clearly they haven't seen the series yet, because Purdey isn't an Emma clone, but then Emma was the most famous girl of them all, so anyone who replaced her was pretty much lumped in as "new Emma." :lol:

Do they really say they "made" her cut her hair? She wanted to cut her hair! They were against it. Errror. Error. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:20

Well they called Linda Emma #2 and Joanna Emma #3, so they were just naming Linda and Joanna as Diana's replacements. (again, where's Cathy in all this?)
They also said they needed a new girl for TNA, instead of just using Linda again, because the Tara King character wasn't very popular. This, to my knowledge, isn't true either..

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:30

Philippa wrote:Back then, they'd obviously never heard of Cathy.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are couple of mistakes in it though - since when did she want to become a ballerina? Characters and actors, keep it seperated guys. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:33

Philippa wrote:Well they called Linda Emma #2 and Joanna Emma #3, so they were just naming Linda and Joanna as Diana's replacements. (again, where's Cathy in all this?)
They also said they needed a new girl for TNA, instead of just using Linda again, because the Tara King character wasn't very popular. This, to my knowledge, isn't true either..

Well, they'd never seen Cathy. On a couple of countries had. Anyway, they were all in love with Emma. Cathy was Emma -2, I guess. :lmao:

Well, Linda probably wasn't as big as Emma, but they really didn't want Linda because Brian Clemens didn't want her in the first place, so he wasn't going to ask her back, was he? Besides, it was the New Avengers, so he wanted a fresh start with a fresh girl. This is getting as bad as that "bed scene" Dutch article errorwise. :lol: Only the British TV Times seem to get their facts right. Someone had an inside edge there. :wink:

(oh, and thanks for changing the title of the thread. :grin: )
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:35

Mara wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are couple of mistakes in it though - since when did she want to become a ballerina? Characters and actors, keep it seperated guys. :lol:

Actually, Joanna did take ballet lessons when she was young, and did consider becoming a ballerina, but she, like Purdey, grew too tall. If they start talking about how her dad was shot as a spy, though, we have a problem. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:37

Mara wrote:

Ahaha I know. Get it together people :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:41

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Actually, Joanna did take ballet lessons when she was young, and did consider becoming a ballerina, but she, like Purdey, grew too tall. If they start talking about how her dad was shot as a spy, though, we have a problem.

Did she? I never knew, must have skipped those chapters in NRFS and SBAS then. :lol: What bothers me though, is that Gareth isn't even mentioned. It's the charming Patrick as Steed this, and the handsome male character that, but no Gambit. Bummer.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Oct 2009, 18:05

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Actually, Joanna did take ballet lessons when she was young, and did consider becoming a ballerina, but she, like Purdey, grew too tall. If they start talking about how her dad was shot as a spy, though, we have a problem.

Did she? I never knew, must have skipped those chapters in NRFS and SBAS then. :lol: What bothers me though, is that Gareth isn't even mentioned. It's the charming Patrick as Steed this, and the handsome male character that, but no Gambit. Bummer.

What, no Mike? Wah! :crybaby: But yeah, Joanna took ballet lessons. I know I've read it somewhere.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Oct 2009, 18:07

Timeless A-Peel wrote:But yeah, Joanna took ballet lessons. I know I've read it somewhere.

Didn't we all want to become ballerinas at some point? I took ballet classes too when I was six, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers