Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Non-English (New) Avengers articles: the translations

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Oct 2009, 18:11

Re: Non-English (New) Avengers articles: the translations

I was probably the big exception, because I never wanted to become a ballerina :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Oct 2009, 00:35

Re: Dutch new Avengers articles: the translations

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:But yeah, Joanna took ballet lessons. I know I've read it somewhere.

Didn't we all want to become ballerinas at some point? I took ballet classes too when I was six, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. :lol:

I don't think I did--I don't think it ever occurred to me! I wasn't interested in thinking about my career as a kid. I still don't want to, come to think of it. :lmao:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 29 Oct 2013, 04:17

Joanna Lumley aka Purdey pits her Avenger skills against Dutch singer Adele Bloemendaal !Is there a translation of this article from PRIVÉ ?
<<

Philippa

Post 29 Oct 2013, 10:03

martyoreen wrote:Joanna Lumley aka Purdey pits her Avenger skills against Dutch singer Adele Bloemendaal !Is there a translation of this article from PRIVÉ ?

I've no idea to be honest, but if you send me a link to the article I'd be happy to translate it for you :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Oct 2013, 13:13

Philippa wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Joanna Lumley aka Purdey pits her Avenger skills against Dutch singer Adele Bloemendaal !Is there a translation of this article from PRIVÉ ?

I've no idea to be honest, but if you send me a link to the article I'd be happy to translate it for you :yes:

Yes, it sounds really interesting. I'd be interested in seeing it, too. :yes:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 29 Oct 2013, 15:21

Thank you ! Can it be uploaded to you ?
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Oct 2013, 16:20

I'm not sure what you mean by uploaded? If the article's online somewhere you can just post a link here in the topic. If you have scans of the article you can email them to me if you like.

<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 30 Oct 2013, 17:31

Dutch woman Adele Bloemendaal and English stunner New Avenger Joanna Lumley...ImageImage
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 09 Dec 2013, 02:07

Will scan up article... on above pics. of Joanna and Adele...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Dec 2013, 14:07

I've never seen these before! These must be from that trip to the Netherlands Joanna took during TNA--there are a few pictures floating around. I remember Joanna saying she had to go on a talk show, and they were all very disappointed to discover that she wasn't actually a martial arts master, just able to do stunts. She also said everyone had a Purdey bob, and Adele does--it's identical! Fabulous! :squee: Thanks for these. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Dec 2013, 18:18

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've never seen these before! These must be from that trip to the Netherlands Joanna took during TNA--there are a few pictures floating around. I remember Joanna saying she had to go on a talk show, and they were all very disappointed to discover that she wasn't actually a martial arts master, just able to do stunts.

Yup, that sounds like the Netherlands indeed. :lol: I remember reading something about this too but it's nice to finally see the pictures! My mother once told me everyone had a Purdey bob here back in the days, even she did.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Dec 2013, 21:13

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've never seen these before! These must be from that trip to the Netherlands Joanna took during TNA--there are a few pictures floating around. I remember Joanna saying she had to go on a talk show, and they were all very disappointed to discover that she wasn't actually a martial arts master, just able to do stunts.

Yup, that sounds like the Netherlands indeed. :lol: I remember reading something about this too but it's nice to finally see the pictures! My mother once told me everyone had a Purdey bob here back in the days, even she did.

She's talked about it a few times--it was one of the major international publicity things she did for TNA, and she always mentions how common the Purdey cut was, but it's so great to see a picture of it. It's literally exactly the same. It must have been strange to come to another country and have everyone walking around with your hairdo. The Dutch--the ultimate TNA fans. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Dec 2013, 23:09

And big AbFab fans! We're a very Joanna-loving country. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It must have been strange to come to another country and have everyone walking around with your hairdo. The Dutch--the ultimate TNA fans. :grin:

Oh yes - my mum said it was very fashionable at the time. We've always been influenced by the Brits, not sure why. Almost every popular British TV show makes it to the Dutch telly's at some point, even the semi-popular stuff. I think the British class and style appealed to the Dutch audience because it's something we so obviously lack. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Dec 2013, 02:28

Mara wrote:And big AbFab fans! We're a very Joanna-loving country. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It must have been strange to come to another country and have everyone walking around with your hairdo. The Dutch--the ultimate TNA fans. :grin:

Oh yes - my mum said it was very fashionable at the time. We've always been influenced by the Brits, not sure why. Almost every popular British TV show makes it to the Dutch telly's at some point, even the semi-popular stuff. I think the British class and style appealed to the Dutch audience because it's something we so obviously lack. :lol:

Aw, I'm sure that's not true. :hug: But you guys are literally right across from each other, so I can see why the influence would bleed over, including the Joanna love. :thumb:

My mom actually had a Purdey bob as well, but she didn't know that was where it was from at the time. She said she saw it in a magazine, and it was just generally a big hairstyle by the time it made its way over here--the origin was sort of lost, even though TNA was being shown over here. So it was pretty universal. :grin:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 10 Dec 2013, 03:56

DLooking forward to translation !
Last edited by martyoreen on 30 Dec 2013, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 11 Dec 2013, 20:17

..!Image
Last edited by martyoreen on 09 Sep 2014, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 13 Dec 2013, 03:24

Couple of pics...Purdey and Adele..ImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Dec 2013, 14:03

These get successively funnier the more you see. :lol: Both Joanna and Adele are hamming it up pretty good. :lmao: But I particularly like the last shot of them smiling together, proving all the fights were just for show. :thumb:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 14 Dec 2013, 03:50

Must have been quite a shoot...the girls wear three different outfits ! Love the last photo too...! Adele seems to have really enjoyed 'working out' with Joanna !
Cover photo looks as if Joanna and Adele agreed to a real tussle with kicks and blows not allowed !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Dec 2013, 15:56

martyoreen wrote:Must have been quite a shoot...the girls wear three different outfits ! Love the last photo too...! Adele seems to have really enjoyed 'working out' with Joanna !
Cover photo looks as if Joanna and Adele agreed to a real tussle with kicks and blows not allowed !

Yeah, I noticed they kept changing clothes. :lol: Clearly it was a well-planned out shoot. It was probably a huge coup to get ahold of Joanna as I don't think she was in the Netherlands for very long. :yes:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 15 Dec 2013, 21:24

It certainly was a great coup...showsImage how popular she was when you have a Dutch icon like Adele sporting the perfect Purdey bob ... Purdey ! Adele, being quite an action girl herself, obviously loved the idea of pitting her skills against the Top Action Girl of the era, Joanna Lumley, whose style made her far superior to such as Charlies Angels... Every girl wanted to be Purdey and quite a few fancied they could high-kick like her too ... :huh:ImageADELE: Ik hou van je laarzen :happy:
PURDEY: Proberen ze op :wink: What would Gambit think ? Purdey's choice of boots was first class :thumb: These mid-calf chestnut boots...made for a woman with strong, shapely and athletic legs... Purdey could certainly have worn these with shorts or a mini-skirt :thumb: Who could fill Purdey's boots anywhere near as impressively as her ? :wink:
Last edited by martyoreen on 16 Jan 2014, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 30 Dec 2013, 06:51

Mara wrote:

Love your 'Yup, that sounds like the Netherlands indeed. :lol: ' Adele Bloemendaal (Wow ! What a woman :blush: ) a girl 'more my style !' as Purdey would say; wears a perfect Purdey Bob, and looks so impressive in photos beside our iconic New Avenger Girl, PURDEY :thumb: Joanna was often spoken of (at 33) as the Pin-Up who had outlasted all others :happy: Obviously, Adele (at 44), put that view to her test :wink: ... :thumb: ]ImageImageImageImage Like Joanna ,Adele travelled a bit...here seen striding out in China :thumb: and in such incredible shape to boot :thumb: Wonder what Purdey (Joanna), thought of Adele or what Adele thought of Purdey ?
Last edited by martyoreen on 19 Jun 2014, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 12 Mar 2014, 03:06

'' I particularly like the last shot of them smiling together...'' So do I ! Did Joanna do any more promotional work of this nature ?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Mar 2014, 13:43

martyoreen wrote:'' I particularly like the last shot of them smiling together...'' So do I ! Did Joanna do any more promotional work of this nature ?

Not that I know of. They were pretty busy filming, so their promotional work was squeezed in at the edges for the most part. This was done in the short gap between seasons, so a bit of an exception.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 27 Apr 2014, 03:19

martyoreen wrote:Image

Joanna Lumley should have been back as New Avenger Purdey ...she looks incredible in this pose from 1979 .:thumb: Joanna looks a lot bigger ,fitter , stronger and sexier than she did in her Purdey days :thumb: Wonder if she'd done some serious physical training in a hope of a return to filling the boots of New Avenger Purdey ? A unique outfit in which Joanna looks the perfect Avenger Girl....Lumley shows every woman how leopardprint should be worn..yet I've never seen a woman in a similar outfit to what Joanna wears so splendidly here !
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers