Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Parodies on AbFab

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 May 2010, 18:01

Parodies on AbFab

Apparently this semi-funny Dutch TV show did a parody on AbFab and it's rubbish! I wish I could move abroad as we speak, I hope neither Jennifer nor Joanna will watch this because it doesn't do their show justice.

I am just so pissed off right now that I consider making a complaint and explain these producers what talent is really about and that they should stop this hideous parodying now before I ask a bunch of Lumley and Saunders fans threat them forever if they do not apologise.

Or something like that. :lolol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 May 2010, 18:51

Re: Random Freak-Out Moment / Random Ranting thread

An AbFab parody on Dutch TV? Which programme? Whatever it is, I'm not surprised it's crap :lolol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 May 2010, 18:55

De TV Kantine, with Carlo Buggery Bozhard en Irene Bollocky Morse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88rfW19rtmA Am I right in thinking Saffy is played by Georgina Verbaan?
<<

Philippa

Post 22 May 2010, 21:04

Well I normally quite like them, they can be really funny, but this wasn't all that great. It started off alright I have to say, but it just carried on for far too long and they lost the plot halfway through. I mostly cringed at Patsy and Eddie doing a hi5, because that's something they'd never do. Georgina's accent was quite good though :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 May 2010, 03:20

I actually thought it was pretty good. The sets and costumes were spot-on, and the woman playing Saffy sounded eerily like Julia Sawalha. Patsy looked pretty believable, too, especially with the sunglasses on. You can tell they're fans because they hit the notable running jokes--Eddie's fall down the staircase, Patsy burning Saffy, etc. Sure, Eddie and Patsy would never high-five, and I have to admit, there were way too many "Sweetie darlings" thrown in there, but you can tell it was done with a great deal of affection for the show. I didn't actually find it very funny in itself--I was more impressed by the attention to detail. It was clearly done with a great deal of affection. The biggest problem I have ever have with parodies is when it's clear the writers/performers haven't watched it properly and the jokes fall flat because they haven't even bothered to make it recognisable. But I think Joanna and Jennifer would be quite pleased to see somebody loved their show enough to want to put that much effort into making it look right--it's a compliment. But then I'm pretty forgiving about these things--even when Benny Hill gets an old guy to play Gambit. :lmao:

http://www.ping.be/~pvandew1/avengers/spoof01.htm
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 May 2010, 08:25

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I actually thought it was pretty good. The sets and costumes were spot-on, and the woman playing Saffy sounded eerily like Julia Sawalha.

Well, that is true - I'm willing to give them that much credit. The voice sounds so much like Julia's it's almost hard to believe it's not her, and to be honest: it's almost as if they did some smart editing on a computer, because I've heard Georgina Verbaan (the actress who plays Saffy) speak English before and it's by far not as fluent as it is here.

Part of me disliking this parody is that I don't like the people who do it - they're a famous TV duo over here but I just can't stand the guy. Perhaps they do like the show and they can be funny when it comes to other program they take the piss out of, but it's wrong do to a parody on something that is already over the top and exaggerated.

So that's three minutes of still parodying then, now someone please bring Jennifer Saunders back in! :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 23 May 2010, 08:30

Random Freak-Out Moment / Random Ranting thread

Some of their parodies are extremely funny, and I have to say that as a duo they're really good and can be really funny. They definitely paid a lot of attention to detail, when it comes to the set and clothing etc. You could instantly recognise from which episodes certain things came from (like the burning with a cigarette etc). But Carlo (who played Eddie), who's normally spot on with his impersonations, really lacked something here. I think he was just enjoying himself far too much, thereby losing the plot and what he was doing in the process, and it showed.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 May 2010, 08:41

Philippa wrote:But Carlo (who played Eddie), who's normally spot on with his impersonations, really lacked something here. I think he was just enjoying himself far too much, thereby losing the plot and what he was doing in the process, and it showed.

That's true - some of his impersonations are spot on. Perhaps he got too caught up in the whole exaggerated way of acting which is so typically AbFab, but I always feel he's just a tiny bit too arrogant to really accurately observe and impersonate a character or a person. Surely either one of them must be a fan, they got the details right, that much is true. But like I said, I don't really feel AbFab is the kind of show you really want do to a parody on because it's already so cleverly written and performed.

(By the way - I've separated our posts because were taking over the ranting thread pretty much, haha)
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 23 May 2010, 09:22

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I actually thought it was pretty good. The sets and costumes were spot-on, and the woman playing Saffy sounded eerily like Julia Sawalha.

^ I agree. Bravo to the set, costumes and make up. The actress playing Saffy was spot on - accent and voice uncannily accurate.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 May 2010, 16:36

Avengerdan wrote:

^ I agree. Bravo to the set, costumes and make up. The actress playing Saffy was spot on - accent and voice uncannily accurate.

They did a pretty good job of doing her up to look right, too. It was almost creepy she looks so right.

Mara wrote:Part of me disliking this parody is that I don't like the people who do it - they're a famous TV duo over here but I just can't stand the guy. Perhaps they do like the show and they can be funny when it comes to other program they take the piss out of, but it's wrong do to a parody on something that is already over the top and exaggerated.

I have to agree that AbFab wouldn't be my first choice to do a parody because it essentially is a parody--it is so over-the-top that there's nowhere really left to go--it's hardly possible to get more outrageous. It honestly felt like an actual, condensed episode of AbFab than a parody trying to take the mickey out of it. So it feels more like a tribute to me, but taken that way I think it was very well done.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 23 May 2010, 19:18

Re: Parodies on AbFab

Yes, visually very good, but it had no content.

All the gurning in the world cannot be a substitute for a Jennifer Saunders script.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 May 2010, 12:54

I have to agree, this really sounded like Julia Sawalha... but the rest, not my thing, "Patsy" looked pretty real with the sunglases on but that was it. :confused:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 28 May 2010, 10:31

:lmao: :lmao:
Haha thank you for sharing.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jun 2010, 14:06

This parody really worked well among the Dutch audience, but that's partly because of the references to Dutch celebs they've put in. Stacey van Rookhuizen is a jury member of our Dutch X-factor, similar to Cheryl Cole in the British version of the show. Patty Brard used to be a singer in the seventies and was a member of a populair girl group in the seventies, but I think it'd be fair to say none she's one of those celebrities none knows how on earth they got even famous for in the first place.

Plus, they've used a fair amount of Dutch words like 'rondvaart' (boat trip) and 'kok' (chef). So that's two new words to add to your Dutch vocabulary, heigh-ho. :lol:

Avengerdan wrote:All the gurning in the world cannot be a substitute for a Jennifer Saunders script.

I couldn't have put it better myself. :worship:

So, nice try. Now now please stick with parodying Dutch TV shows again guys.
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jun 2010, 16:06

Their 'Allo 'Allo parody was hilarious though. Have you seen it? :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jun 2010, 16:08

Philippa wrote:Their 'Allo 'Allo parody was hilarious though. Have you seen it? :lol:

I have, but I haven't seen enough 'Allo 'Allo to be able to understand all the funny references. I did get the whole Keeping Up Appearances (another of my favourite britcoms) though - that one was spot on, I'll give them that. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jun 2010, 16:12

Oh I thought the 'Keeping Up Appearances' one wasn't that funny to be honest. They did their best, but it was far worse than their AbFab parody. And tut tut for not having seen 'Allo 'Allo, it's a classic :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jun 2010, 16:13

Philippa wrote:Oh I thought the 'Keeping Up Appearances' one wasn't that funny to be honest. They did their best, but it was far worse than their AbFab parody. And tut tut for not having seen 'Allo 'Allo, it's a classic :lol:

Well, I have seen some of it... just not enough. :lol: I can see why you don't like the Keeping Up Appearances one, the ending's a bit too much. But the classic impersonation of Hyacinth picking up the phone and inviting Elizabeth over for coffee, I thought that was very nicely done.
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jun 2010, 16:15

Oh I've not seen that one. Just the one of Onslow and Daisy and it wasn't that good.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jun 2010, 16:17

Philippa wrote:Oh I've not seen that one. Just the one of Onslow and Daisy and it wasn't that good.

I didn't really like that one either, but this? Good stuff. Even Frans Bauer is funny in this one! :lol:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 14 Jun 2010, 12:27

^ ^ ^ ^ Haha I love that one. :lolol: :lolol:

Return to Absolutely Fabulous