Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The music

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Oct 2009, 16:30

The music

The music it is then! The first thing that comes to my mind is the Kinky Boots record. I think I learnt about it through French and Saunders, because they'd used it on their show, but it just works for the Avengers. Unfortunately, when I was looking for some videos on Youtube, I strumbled across a discussion based on the line ''sexy little schoolgirls''. Sometimes it's just so hard to believe people actually waste their time with such things, isn't it?
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Oct 2009, 18:40

Re: The music

I must admit I cringe over that line today, but it was a far more innocent age back then. :angel:

I prefer Let's Keep It Friendly anyway, and could imagine the characters singing that to each other in a kind of fantasy Avengers musical kind of way ...
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Oct 2009, 19:22

Avengerdan wrote:I must admit I cringe over that line today, but it was a far more innocent age back then.

True. Someone on Youtube indeed commented that any other singer who would dare to release a song which such a line in it nowadays, would get a lot of rocks thrown through his windows. I never really paid attention to that particular line, I think it's just a funny song. Same goes for Let's Keep It Friendly.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Nov 2009, 20:34

I got my Avengers CDs out, and I'm playing the soundtrack on the loop. I just couldn't believe they actually still sold these, but they're so good. :hyper: It's amazing how welll the intro tune is known, still. I was humming it the other day, and both my parents immediately recognised it.

Anyway - Peel the Reel, the famous remix, is on now - it's fantastically done. ''Hey, might catch on!''
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Nov 2009, 20:49

Mara wrote:I got my Avengers CDs out, and I'm playing the soundtrack on the loop. I just couldn't believe they actually still sold these, but they're so good. :hyper: It's amazing how welll the intro tune is known, still. I was humming it the other day, and both my parents immediately recognised it.

Anyway - Peel the Reel, the famous remix, is on now - it's fantastically done. ''Hey, might catch on!''

I love my Avengers soundtracks. I'm so jazzed they decided to release them for both the original series and TNA. Good stuff. The theme gets used lots of places.

And I love "Peel the Reel." It's so much fun. Have you seen the video someone put together for it? The found all the clips that the dialogue came from. Amazing! :squee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKeVtWDEPw
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 04 Nov 2009, 22:57

I never tire of that ... ah, Mrs. Peel .... :wub:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Nov 2009, 23:18

Oh yes, I love it too. I got that song from Youtube, I assumed it just accompanied the video because the lines fitted so perfectly. I must say that this guy did a bloody great job!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Nov 2009, 00:51

Mara wrote:Oh yes, I love it too. I got that song from Youtube, I assumed it just accompanied the video because the lines fitted so perfectly. I must say that this guy did a bloody great job!

No, he went through and put it all together. I tip my bowler to him. That bit reminds me why I fell in love with Steed and Emma in the first place. Brava! :hearteyes:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 05 Nov 2009, 21:14

Yes, The Avengers (Peel The Reel) comes from an album released in 1990 called Power Themes 90. It was supposed to be released as a 12" single after they'd revamped Thunderbirds Are Go (The Pressure Mix) and The Prisoner (Free Man Mix). Shame it never happened. But this feller, very cleverly, has matched each bit of footage to the dialogue. Genius.

More info from the original album release here
http://www.discogs.com/FAB-Power-Themes ... ase/215875
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Nov 2009, 21:19

Avengerdan wrote:Yes, The Avengers (Peel The Reel) comes from an album released in 1990 called Power Themes 90. It was supposed to be released as a 12" single after they'd revamped Thunderbirds Are Go (The Pressure Mix) and The Prisoner (Free Man Mix). Shame it never happened. But this feller, very cleverly, has matched each bit of footage to the dialogue. Genius.

More info from the original album release here
http://www.discogs.com/FAB-Power-Themes ... ase/215875

I'd heard it was part of an album, but I didn't know the whole story behind it. So they did a whole whack of themes, did they? No TNA in there I suppose?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 05 Nov 2009, 21:27

Interesting - I didn't know that either! That's for clearing that up.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 05 Nov 2009, 23:14

I had the vinyl album at the time, after a mate had bought the Thunderbirds 12". I can't remember a thing about it now - almost 20 years later! :roll:

I was really out the Avengers loop back then - no Internet, and just Avengers fan mags to keep me informed (which were often late and out of date by the time they were posted to subscribers, I have to say).

That sleeve really scream 1990 though. :hearteyes:

Return to The New Avengers