Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Canadian vs. French episodes

The Canadian vs. the French episodes:

Canadian (Complex, Gladiators, Emily, Forward Base)
100%
French (K is for Kill: The Tiger Awakes, Tiger by the Tail, The Lion and the Unicorn)
No votes

Total votes : 5
<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 21 Feb 2010, 17:42

Canadian vs. French episodes

Canadian episodes of TNA better than the French ones?

Series hits a low with K is for Kill think :no:
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Feb 2010, 18:05

Re: Canadian vs. French episodes

Why not add a lovely poll to this topic? :wink:

I have voted for the Canadian episodes, even though I find Gladiators one of the weakest episodes they ever did. (I don't think I could even be bothered to finish that episode) The K is for Kill have some really great scenes (wife swapping in broad day light, ''I'm a girl, a girl!'') but that's it for me.

I think the Avengers is just generally a show that works best within the borders of Britain. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 21 Feb 2010, 18:27

Mara wrote:Why not add a lovely poll to this topic? :wink:

I have voted for the Canadian episodes, even though I find Gladiators one of the weakest episodes they ever did. (I don't think I could even be bothered to finish that episode) The K is for Kill have some really great scenes (wife swapping in broad day light, ''I'm a girl, a girl!'') but that's it for me.

I think the Avengers is just generally a show that works best within the borders of Britain. :lol:

I think the Canadian episodes are better on balance, too, if only because they have more chances to redeem themselves. K is for Kill is incredibly draggy through the first half, and never should have been given a two-parter (the wife-swapping is pretty good, though, and the "I'm a girl!" Oh, and the sweet little bit where Gambit reiterates Purdey's "difficult decision: him or you" from The Midas Touch, and she smiles just the tiniest bit, with real affection. :wub: ) I really like The Lion and the Unicorn, though, but the Canadians have Forward Base, probably the best foreign-made ep, and Complex is pretty respectable. Even Emily is fun given the right mood. The Gladiators is the only really bad one (have you really never watched it to the end, Maartje? Not even for Gambit's over-the-top drop-kick?). So overall, I'd say Canada. But I would have left it in Britain if I could, yes.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Feb 2010, 01:19

I like The Lion and the Unicorn, it's a great episode. K is for Kill isn't a great one, but it does have its funny moments such as the "wife-swapping" scene. The Canadian episodes are ok. Forward Base is really good, Complex is ok and Emily is just plain fun. The only TNA episode that I loathe is Gladiators. So based on this I'll have to vote for the Canadian episodes :happy:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2010, 04:29

Go Canada! :lol:
<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 01 Mar 2010, 13:21

do you think these foreign episodes were intended for Uk filming? Emily filmed in Hertfordshire?
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Mar 2010, 18:30

shill wrote:do you think these foreign episodes were intended for Uk filming? Emily filmed in Hertfordshire?

No. They didn't write scripts that far in advance, and Brian Clemens and co. knew they were going to be filming overseas (foreign funding required it), so they would have sketched them out with the knowledge that they were going to be in France or Canada to take advantage of/make reference to the setting. The only story that wasn't constructed specifically for foreign filming was K is for Kill, which Brian Clemens wrote as a special short story for a British newspaper. It was published in installments before TNA began airing as a promotional tool. I have the original printing of the story, and Clemens clearly just tweaked a few things and recycled it. I suspect it was used to take some pressure off the scriptwriters. Otherwise I suspect all the scripts were written special.

Return to The New Avengers