Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Search button gone

<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Apr 2010, 13:29

Search button gone

Help! :huh:

I bookmark the forum at the 'New Posts' page, but it's telling me the 'search system' is not permitted. I've tried looking at my own posts, but I get the same message. :hypnose:

Can you rescue me, nice mods? :crybaby:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Apr 2010, 13:41

Re: Probs with the forum

Yes that's because we have temporarily disabled the search function. Esther pointed out to us that everyone, including guests, can access all parts of the forum (daily life, media etc) if they use the search function and click on 'unread posts'. So we had to disable the search function in order to maintain the privacy of our members and to shield the download links from the rest of the world. Maartje and I are trying to figure out how to up the security level of our vip section, and until we've figured it out the search function will remain disabled.

I hope we haven't cause too much inconvenience by doing this, but it was the only way.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 16 Apr 2010, 13:51

Re: Probs with the forum

That's right, I'm afraid. Luckily, Esther pointed out to us in time that even guests (!) could access all the download topics by clicking on ''show new posts'' (or by using the search function) which, of course, isn't the point of the media at all. I have no idea how many people got away with downloading this way, but at least we've put a stop to it now.

The problem we're dealing with now is that that we had to deny all members from browsing the forum with the search button as well. Many of you are already in the media, but we figured that members who aren't can view the media boards as well this way.

I've contacted the support forum and I have asked if there's anything they can do about it. We want to enjoy our members as many functions as possible but at the same time we want to make sure our ''private boards'' are really private. I'm sorry about this.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2010, 14:36

Re: Search button gone

Update: You now have your ''view new posts'' and search button back Dandy. :wink: I've found a way to keep these functions for all members without having regular members using them to find our media topics.

Sorry for all the inconvenience today guys. :lock:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Apr 2010, 17:19

I never used either function (occasionally I'll search if I'm trying to find a topic from ages ago), but I'm glad you've taken care of the privacy issue. I wasn't too keen about posting new stuff to the media section otherwise. But we're all secure now. Nice work. :thumb:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2010, 19:09

Yes, I think we've secured everything now so it should be alright. :yes: If not, please do drop me a PM or post it on the forum and I'll try to sort things out again. Laura, is everything working for you now?
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Apr 2010, 19:18

Yep, all running smoothly now. Thanks Mara :happy:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2010, 19:24

Laura wrote:Yep, all running smoothly now. Thanks Mara :happy:

Pfew, you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that. :lol: I spent about three hours on the forum this morning and another two this afternoon, so I'm glad everything's running smoothly now.

Oh by the way, you might have seen a few members called ''test'' suddenly appearing on the forum, but that was just me testing some settings. It should all be secured now, so it's safe to upload stuff! :thumb:

Return to Helpdesk