Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Script changes

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Apr 2010, 20:17

Script changes

Because I have my Dead Men script, I thought I'd start a thread for this, and put my Last of the Cybernauts...? script changes in to get things going. I have an actual four page document where I outline all the alterations between this draft of Last of, and what made it to screen. I wrote it as an e-mail a couple of years ago to my two TNA fic buddies. I tell you this to explain the conversational/informal tone of the writing, and also the occasional bit of snark (if you read our e-mail correspondance from that time, there's a heavy dose of humour there, and some hilariously strange ideas, too :lmao: ). Anyhow, I hope it proves interesting/informative, and makes you laugh a little. The script is available for download on my site for anyone who doesn't have it. Here we go:

Right, so I've gotten myself a copy of the first draft of "Last of," dated March, 1976 by Brian Clemens. Since "Eagle's" didn't even shoot til April, you can tell that Clemens is still feeling out how to write his new characters in some scenes, particularly Gambit. Some scenes are brand new, some are altered, and some are exactly the same. I'm going to go through and point out all the discrepencies, particularly my favourites. If I don't mention a scene, it's stayed the same. One of these days I'll scan the pages in question for ya, but for now summaries will have to do.

Right, the changes start on page one. The opening birthday is at Gambit's, not Steed's, and it's night. The set-up is the same as the novelisation (pull it out and give it a read)--all the jokes about Gambit, the bellows, and a wish. Steed's on the brink of dissing the creme brulee until Gambit reminds him Purdey whipped it up.

Kane is described as athletic and handsome. Er, not from what I remember. He actually gets out of the car park and hits a petrol tanker on the road.

Birthday 2. Huge change. Purdey prefaces her little chat with Steed about last year by telling him she's not crazy about birthdays. She meets Steed's eyes and "a secret is tacitly shared." She tells him the creme brulees were abominable, despite Steed's attempts to assure her otherwise. "They were. Gambit didn't have a broulee iron so I had to scorch them under the grill." How brilliant is that? I can just see her reaming poor Gambit out for not having the culinary equipment. She asks what happened to Tricia from last year. Steed reveals that she left him for a merchant banker. Purdey: "They don't discard you, Steed." Another moment, then Gambit wanders in (get in there, Mike!). "Hey, no sneaking into corners and holding hands!"

P: "We're not holding hands."

G: "You can hold hands with your eyes. I know." Old Gambit's got eyes. He knows what's going on. There seems to be a closer connection between Steed and Purdey here, as though Brian's not quite latched onto the Purdey/Gambit tension yet. Seems pretty heavy here--I feel like he realised that it would be better to tone one down for the other and tried to change the balance, finding his feet as it were.

Malov strikes his match over Steed's picture at Kane's, and smokes a cigar while talking to Goff instead of doffing an imaginary bowler. Professor Armstrong is renamed Dormeil, another link with the novel.

Steed tells Laura he learned his snooker at the Boy Scouts--"It beats tying knots." (Nothing about his misspent youth here).

Whole new scene--no sign of Laura getting a horse. Instead, we have Purdey just finishing a jump on horseback, with Steed timing. She ties him art a minute 32. Gambit's turn, with the prize Champagne--natch. Steed's sure he'll win--"it's my stopwatch." Gambit goes. Purdey asks if Steed cheated her on her time, despite his hurt look. She admits she started a fraction ahead, and Steed tells her he compensated by ten. Purdey claims two or three, but Steed blames the government and decimalisation. He's set for a "John Steed..." scolding, but Gambit suddenly veers off into a thicket. They run after him.

Gambit's taken out Fitzroy this time--with his horse! Fitz is laying under the horse. G saw him sneaking through the shrubbery--F sighs about running into "another set of those finely honed reflexes." S introduces F to P and G, claims he's told them about F. P and G and S then ignore F as they argue about this. Steed claims he mentioned Fitz "when we were working out on the mats," so S is obviously doing the gym with the other two, obviously dropped in the eps. Purdey lists off a bunch of names, but Fitz isn't among them. We get a snippet about Mike--he claims that Fitz couldn't have been mentioned because he knew one "When I was with the regiment." An actual mention in the show of his military service. And they dropped it. Only sailor jokes for you, Gambit dear.

Post-Cybernaut attack on Mason. The hit guard is a little more helpful--mentions feeling the roof fall in on him. Purdey talks about Gambit chopping building bricks for breakfast, and concludes no man could take out the door if Gambit couldn't.

Purdey and Gambit's Scrabble session. There's no mention of Gambit joining her at the barre, and he definitely doesn't cover her hand with his so she pulls away. Again, it looks like Brian added little P/G touches later on, maybe after he'd seen Gareth and Jo interact a couple times.

Steed tries to hook his brolly around the Cybernaut's ankle to trip it at the lab instead of staring at it gormlessly like he does in the ep. Should have left that in, Bri.

Steed sees Purdey, and then Gambit when he wakes up. He grips Purdey's arm--very high up! All before he touches her cheek. Gambit's the only one to help him up. Gambit uses the phrase "one will get you ten" instead of "even money" when he offers a bet on what hit Steed. We also get a brilliant note:

"NOTE: All this high-key dialogue is BECAUSE they are so relieved to find Steed O.K. This should be detected. Banter is covering real emotion."

How many times have we written that into our fics? Brian would be proud. Anyone got a time machine I can borrow? We could get a few episodes in. :-)

Purdey crashes Gambit's at night, not in the morning. I like the description:

"He doesn't stir--she reacts--then pushes a button--and Gambit's bed slides back into the wall--as it is a flush fit, he does not go with it--but ends up in a heap of bedclothes on the floor. He blinks bearily up at Purdey."

That is until she wants him--then his eyes flash. "He is on his feet holding bedclothes around him--making a concerted movement towards her--but she pushes button--bed comes out again--hits him behind the knees, and he ends up sitting on it."

Purdey actually picks up his clothes and chucks them at him, too.

I find it amusing that the word "Overrides" is used a lot with Purdey's dialogue. Don't mess with her when she's on a roll! Also, Gambit's the one who grins, not her, when he tells her about the missing PJ's.

J.B. Foster gets a short scene, reading the sports paper when he hears a knock (yes, the Cybernaut knocks before punching through the door. How polite).

Gambit doesn't sing "And I'll be in Scotland before ye," despite the high/low road quip--I wonder if Gareth adlibbed? JB's is supposed to be a house converted to flats, not a standard apartment block like we got.

Gambit doesn't kick the Cybernaut--instead he dents it and hits it once in the body to make it fold a little. Purdey arrives and "breaksaway" her dress--basically rips off her wrap-around skirt, I guess. She was supposed to wear more leotards underneath in the planning stages, but it looks like this was cut.

Gambit asks where Purdey learned her nursing. "Just now. Picking up hints every minute." She tells him he won't play the violin again, not the piano. Steed takes it as hope the robots can be beaten. Gambit: Yes, all it a takes is a mangled fist. A party trick. A convenient flight of stairs...and a lot of luck.

"Steed regards Gambit with immense respect": Correction. Guts, not luck.

(Yes, Steed was encouraging!)

Fitzroy appears. They gave the head the U.S.--utmost scrutiny.

No two week break--Gambit's fist stays in the wrapping. G: "It looks like a Christmas pudding!"

P: "There are two kinds of packaging. One--to present the product. And two--to preserve it. You've got the latter."

She tells it'll hurt, but that means it's getting better, then says they should go, and uses "Ciao!" at Steed. Gambit goes to follow, but Steed calls him back, gives Purdey the excuse "Man-talk." (Presumably the scene where she beat him over the head with his brolly for being a patronising git was cut out.)

Steed tells Gambit to keep an eye on Purdey because of Kane. Gambit's already thought of it. Gambit asks who will watch out for Steed. S: "I've survived this long."

We actually see Gambit's legs pass Purdey's window on the way downstairs. She hears him rather than sees the knob move.

Gambit sees Kane while sitting in his car, but doesn't clue in. Kane sees him, though: "Two for the price of one." He actually taps on Mike's window, and he rolls it down, sees the mask, grabs for his gun, but Kane slices right through the door "So hard that he is crushed against the other side of the door." Ouch! Presumably they didn't do this because trashing one of the Jags wasn't an option.

Fitzroy dispels any doubt about the print to Steed--talks about oils and such, explains it must be recent.

Purdey "breaksaway" her dress again to fight Kane--but her floaty dress is referenced explicitly--"feminine."

Steed parks beside Gambit's car and opens the door to get him out. He has to lean on Steed, but Steed tells him to take the front, so he shakes it off and Steed wanders off to the back of Purdey's place. He spots a sign, but we don't see what it is.

Interestingly, they toned down Purdey and Kane's fight in the ep--he only ever grabbed her arm a couple times. Here he actually hits her so hard she flies across the room. Clemens describes her as "slightly" battered, but that's still more than we see. Steed starts calling Kane from behind her place, taunting him "It's me you want. Or can you only deal with women?" (Yeah, Steed's kind of sexist in this one. Good thing he cleared that up. It gets annoying).

Kane goes out the back after Steed. Gambit comes in the front. Here's the slight bit of angst:

"He quickly moves to find and cradle the beaten, frightened Purdey."

*swoon* That's how it struck me. And again, she sounds a lot more damaged than she was in the ep. Gambit holding her in his arms will put that right soon enough. But they sadly have no time to gaze into each other's eyes--they hear Steed beckoning Kane and rush to help him.

Steed has lured Kane onto a patch of fresh tar--he actually steps in it and then falls, getting all gooed up. Works much better actually. Purdey and Gambit show up, and Steed holds up the "Keep off--wet tar" sign from earlier. He tosses it away and delivers the closing line.

"Not with a bang--but with a whimper."
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 Apr 2010, 10:25

Re: Script Changes

I totally forgot to reply to this topic - very interesting though! I wonder if they it were the writers or the cast to change these scripts. Thank you for posting Timeless, I'm looking forward to seeing the other script that you've got.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2010, 18:44

Mara wrote:I totally forgot to reply to this topic - very interesting though! I wonder if they it were the writers or the cast to change these scripts. Thank you for posting Timeless, I'm looking forward to seeing the other script that you've got.

Sometimes I get the sense that it was just the cast delivering the lines slightly differently than what was written (I see a lot of stuff like that in the Dead Men script), but other scenes are pretty obviously altered, as the dialogue, and sometimes whole scenes, is startlingly different. In the case of this one, I tend to think more rewrites were involved because Brian Clemens was still feeling out how to do the characters. The Dead Men script is later in the run when he has a better handle on them, and so would the actors, so I suspect more changes there are down to the cast adlibbing a little. I'll try and get that one up soon. ^^
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Apr 2010, 09:05

Thanks, that was really interesting to read! It's fun to see that some serious rewriting went on before the episode was actually filmed and broadcast. I'm glad they changed it to focus more on P/G instead of P/S, and some of Steed's lines were a bit sexist indeed, so I'm glad they cut those too.
Though I would love to have seen Purdey riding a horse :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Apr 2010, 18:05

Philippa wrote:Thanks, that was really interesting to read! It's fun to see that some serious rewriting went on before the episode was actually filmed and broadcast. I'm glad they changed it to focus more on P/G instead of P/S, and some of Steed's lines were a bit sexist indeed, so I'm glad they cut those too.
Though I would love to have seen Purdey riding a horse :lol:

Heh, glad you enjoyed. I'm a bit snarky in it, if only because it was a conversational e-mail, and I'm having fun playing with the changes. There were huge rewrites in some parts here, probably because it was such an early story and so little had been "solidfied." I, too, am relieved they shifted it to be more P/G and less P/S, and Steed most definitely comes across as more of a sexist git, so I'm happy there was some tweaking going on there (although the scene in Cat Amongst the Pigeons where Gambit and Steed practically pat Purdey on the head and tell her to make the tea while they go off and do manly investigating always annoys me, too, especially since Purdey doesn't object to being left at home like an obedient little woman. It's so out of keeping with what had gone before that it grates :roll: ).

I would've liked to see Purdey on a horse, too--at least she could ride, unlike Gareth! :lol: They seem to have cut it in favour of more of Steed's girlfriend Laura. Yawn. But at least we get said swoonworthy Gambit-cradling-Purdey scene. For me, that pretty much made the script. :wub:

I'll sit down and write one of these for Dead Men one day, too. Have to finish some other stuff first. ^^
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 22 Apr 2010, 11:27

Re: Script changes

Great stuff, Timeless. Finally read your observations.

I would have much preferred the wet tar ending to the plastic skin. All that aerosol spraying was a bit juvenile I thought. And '101 uses'? I can't think of any uses for plastic skin. Ugh.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 18:08

Avengerdan wrote:Great stuff, Timeless. Finally read your observations.

I would have much preferred the wet tar ending to the plastic skin. All that aerosol spraying was a bit juvenile I thought. And '101 uses'? I can't think of any uses for plastic skin. Ugh.

Thanks. :grin: I'm hoping to start on the ones for Dead Men soon. I kind of wish they'd done the tar idea, too, or something a bit more believble than the plastic skin. It didn't do Gambit many favours--people still bring up the whole "gun stance with the spray can" thing. It's getting a bit old. :roll: The best bit is Purdey's expression while she's spraying--she's actually grinning the whole time, really enjoying herself as she plays duck/dodge/spray. I always knew she was a little nuts. :wink: And this version doesn't feature the obligatory walk around Kane that Steed and Emma pioneered with the robots (even if Purdey or Gambit can't tip him over--that'd look a bit cruel). So maybe a middle ground would have been best.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Apr 2010, 20:44

Finally, finally, the infamous Dead Men are Dangerous script is available on my site. You can download it on the usual page:

http://www.avengersanew.com/scripts.html

Also available is a summary of the changes from the script to the filmed episodes here. I can also post it in this thread, too, if people want. I've written a little bit about the history of the episode, too, which is fitting because Joanna filmed it on her birthday, so we know the script was with Joanna 33 years ago exactly, when she was filming TNA. :grin: Exciting, eh? I hope everyone enjoys reading the script and seeing what was changed, even though we are missing a few scenes, thanks to Joanna. :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Apr 2010, 16:58

I have to say, just on a personal note, that the Gambit/Penny scenes (we don't have much in the way of Gambit/Purdey stuff since Joanna ripped out the fight :lmao: ) feel as though they've been cranked up slightly on the raunch scale compared to what came up in the episode. Half of me sort of expects them to get down to business in the trophy room. :lmao: Penny's a great character, and the revised lines crackle just as much as the filmed ones, plus we get a little class-consciousness on Gambit's part, not that Penny minds. I don't blame her. :whistle: It's still Purdey and Gambit for me, but if there wasn't a blonde running around, I know who'd be my next choice. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Apr 2010, 21:15

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can also post it in this thread, too, if people want.

Yes, please! :squee: Your website is a real treasure for the Avengers fan and I'm ever so glad you dedicated it to TNA. It's wonderful that you're willing to share all your buys with the world. (even though they've cost you hundres of pounds) Don't you just sometimes love the internet?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Apr 2010, 00:43

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can also post it in this thread, too, if people want.

Yes, please! :squee: Your website is a real treasure for the Avengers fan and I'm ever so glad you dedicated it to TNA. It's wonderful that you're willing to share all your buys with the world. (even though they've cost you hundres of pounds) Don't you just sometimes love the internet?

Will do! :grin: I'm so glad that you're enjoying the site. I always wanted more resources that focussed on TNA, so I figured I may as well make my own. :lol: I like sharing my stuff because, once I've bought it and read it, if it's not something I can readily display, what good is it to store it away where no one can see it? Why not share it with other fans who'd appreciate it, too? Fandoms can only thrive if everyone contributes, as this forum's media section has shown. I've gotten to read and see a lot of stuff I never would have otherwise because other people took the time to post it. So yes, I buy these things for myself because I want them, and I've probably spent something like thousands of dollars on it, but I figure it's even more fun for everyone if I share, and the internet makes that easy, so yay for it! :grin: I shall do so as long as there's interest, and it's given me the added bonus of giving me content so I can make the site. I'm really, really glad you enjoy the site, and I hope to be updating it for a long while. :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Apr 2010, 00:44

To answer Maartje's request, here's a reposting of all the changes made to the Dead Men episode from script to screen. :grin:

Dead Men Are Dangerous: Scene Changes

This is meant to be a brief summary of differences between the dialogue and stage directions of the scripted episode and the filmed version that eventually made it to the screen. Since this is an original copy of the script personally used by actress Joanna Lumley, it is missing three scenes which featured her character, Purdey, prominently, likely because the actress tore them out so she could rehearse with them, and thus I am unable to determine whether or not those scenes were altered from what was scripted. This guide is meant to be used in conjunction with the script, so it is recommended that you have it on hand as you read through. Changes are classified by scene number.

Scene 9: Purdey, of course, is actively playing cricket with Steed and Gambit in the episode. Here she's sitting by as a spectator. Gambit's dialogue is longer: “A yard, Steed. We had a back yard,” whereas Gareth simply said “It was a back yard.” He also adds an “anyway” before asking what's wrong with his bowling. Purdey's also missing line out of the debate between them about cricket vs. baseball—in the episode she follows up Gambit's opinion that baseball is more interesting to watch with “What, than cricket?” We also lose part of the Purdka drink conversation—nothing about Purdey adding the bitters to cheer up the vodka (from Gambit or Steed) or the gin.

When Steed sees Mark in the distance, Purdey asks Steed if he's all right in the episode, but follows up by asking him if he's going to cancel their dinner date, which there was no mention of in the episode. We just see them coming back from dinner later on—here it's prefaced.

Scene 10: Hara (Crayford's soon-to-be henchman) gets some dialogue in the bar before setting off to attempt to mug him. He says nothing in the episode. Mark's dialogue is also slightly different—his piece about being able to turn Hara into more if he had time didn't make it to film.

Scene 16: Purdey and Steed's conversation as they drive back from dinner is completely changed. Purdey actually puts her head on his shoulder, rather than simply attempting it, and they flirt back and forth with completely different lines. The only ones that are the same are the bit about the Chinese going by experience, not age, and Steed not being Chinese. When they discover Steed's placed has been trashed, Steed's line is not “The only thing that can't be replaced is the love and life of an old friend,” and he adds a “done” to the end of the “If the Chinese didn't say that…” line.

Scene 17: Stage direction change—Mark thumps a bureau, while in the filmed ep he grabs a chain and squeezes it.

Scenes 18-20, presumably featuring Purdey and Gambit's fight in the gym, have been torn out by Joanna.

Scene 22: In the filmed story, the Bentley's gas tank survives, while here it's the radiator.

Scene 23: Steed accuses Purdey of betraying her own gender, not sex as in the filmed version. We also actually see the coffin being delivered by delivery men, whom Purdey talks to, and who bring the coffin into the house. In the filmed story Purdey goes to the door and finds it outside. No one is there to deliver it. Steed's final line is changed, too. Nothing about “digging” into the files or memories in the filmed episode—they use “check” instead.

Scene 24: Sandy, not Purdey, passes the Emma, Cathy, and Tara's files on the shelf.

Scene 28: Steed says “Which medal?” not “What medal?” in the filmed version. And uses the word “trousers” rather than “pants.”

Scene 31: Gambit's dialogue is slightly altered. In the filmed version he says “No, but I'm good with figures.” He also pre-empts Penny before she can ask what she can do for him, which is what happens in the filmed version. He also doesn't list off his requests as “first,” etc., and the bit about “romantic surroundings” doesn't make it into the filmed version. The line in the filmed version about his flat is changed to “The service there is highly recommended.” His response when asked if he can mix a martini is “Well enough” in the filmed version, not “Does it matter?”

Scene 32: Gambit's comment about Mark being “distinctive looking” changes to a simple “What did he look like?” in the filmed version. He's also the one who picks up the plaque in this version, whereas Penny does it in the filmed version, and exclaims “Look at that!” Gambit's description of going up the mizzen is also different than the filmed version—there was nothing in the episode about scratching a living, looking down at the deck, being sick, etc. The exchange between him and Penny about his lack of education is missing from the filmed version completely.

Scenes 33-40 are missing. They encompass Crayford's dialogue about the sniper rifle to Hara, Steed examining his damaged belongings, and Purdey's phone call to Steed to tell him Mark has been certified dead.

Scene 41: Penny's dialogue regarding choosing between Gambit and the school was changed from “you're going to be short one maths teacher” to “I'm afraid the school loses.

Scene 42: Steed and Purdey's discussion of his headache is simplified to “Headache?” “Definitely” in the filmed version.

Scene 52: Minor direction changes. We open on Gambit lying on the couch in the filmed version, not the bowl of iodine, and we don't see him with the number plate or throwing it in the trash. He also doesn't have his back to her when she offers to have a sandwich with him. He's also the one who tells her she can't dress his “serious” wounds “yet” in the filmed version, whereas Penny put the “yet” in here and lets him repeat it. Gambit doesn't say anything about a “rain check” when he leaves her, just that they'll meet up again “Very, very soon.” He certainly doesn't only kiss her on the nose, either! They have a long liplock in the filmed version, and there's no dialogue for Penny in the episode after he leaves, either.

Scene 55: Steed says “I've been and well truly warned,” which is slightly different from the script.

Scenes 63-69 are missing. They contain Steed's phone call to Purdey to warn her to take care of herself, and her subsequent capture by Crayford.

Scene 74: There are slight changes to both Steed and Gambit's dialogue here, but very tiny and probably just the result of not saying the lines exactly as written.

Scene 83: Crayford telling Purdey how he's going to kill her, he doesn't say anything about it being instantaneous, instead finishing by repeating “naturally.”
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Apr 2010, 09:09

Joanna, why on earth did you tore out those scenes? Gambit and Purdey in the gym is the best part of that episode, you silly woman. :lol:

I have to say that reading all this is great though - I like to think that all the changes that were made (like the Purdka) were scenes that were added by the cast members themselves. Thank you for typing this up!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Apr 2010, 16:38

Mara wrote:Joanna, why on earth did you tore out those scenes? Gambit and Purdey in the gym is the best part of that episode, you silly woman. :lol:

I have to say that reading all this is great though - I like to think that all the changes that were made (like the Purdka) were scenes that were added by the cast members themselves. Thank you for typing this up!

I know--if there's one scene that I wanted to read, it was Gambit and Purdey's bout in the gym. I wanted to see if they actually had it written that she ends up between his legs. :brows: Bad Joanna! No biscuit for you! :lmao:

Some alterations to the dialogue are minor and sound more natural, so I tend to think those were the actors ad-libbing. More elaborate ones, like the Purdka and Steed and Purdey's date, I tend to think would have been changed by Clemens himself, maybe on-site with the consultation of the cast, or maybe by himself in rewrites. I love reading what was changed, though--it's fascinating. I wish I had a script of every episode so I could compare. I'm glad you found it interesting, too. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Apr 2010, 20:23

Well, most people who have worked with Joanna have confirmed how devoted she is to a series once she's working on it. Jennifer was known to often call Joanna to ask her about Patsy, what her biggest fear would be, things she would and wouldn't do... I expect it all went a bit like that on set of TNA, although I assume Clemens can't possibly have been as chaotic as Jennifer when it comes to the writing, haha.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Apr 2010, 20:48

Mara wrote:Well, most people who have worked with Joanna have confirmed how devoted she is to a series once she's working on it. Jennifer was known to often call Joanna to ask her about Patsy, what her biggest fear would be, things she would and wouldn't do... I expect it all went a bit like that on set of TNA, although I assume Clemens can't possibly have been as chaotic as Jennifer when it comes to the writing, haha.

Joanna sort of fleshed Purdey out in terms of traits, not background, by putting as much of herself in Purdey as possible, simply to make things easier and more natural so she didn't have to remember all sorts of weird facts, but then Brian Clemens did that, too. He had a tendency to bring as much of the actor into the character as possible--hence Gambit, like Gareth, went into the Navy at a young age (the difference being Gambit was 14, and Gareth 15). Sometimes they would try to argue against certain points and whether they were true to the character or right for the show, and they won some, and lost most. So Purdey on the page is Brian Clemens writing it himself, but Purdey on-screen is Joanna taking that script and interpreting it to be the Purdey she thought the character was, with a lot of Joanna stuck in for good measure.

Return to The New Avengers