Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The books

<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 22 Mar 2010, 23:35

The books

can anyone recommend the 6 books of the new avengers? good reads?
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Mar 2010, 00:27

Re: the books

Well, they're all adaptations of the episodes, with changes, some better than others. Fighting Men is best of the bunch, an adaptation of Dirtier by the Dozen with superb characterisation, great plot expansion, and some of the best dialogue that was never onscreen. Also pretty good and faithful to the characters are Hostage, and The Cybernauts, and The Eagle's Nest isn't too bad. House of Cards isn't bad on plot, but completely messes up the characters, and To Catch a Rat is just a hideous, disturbing, out-of-character mess. I'd only go for that one if you're a completist. But Fighting Men tops them all--it's just brilliant.
<<

shill

Post 23 Mar 2010, 03:55

yeah, i read to catch a rat. half of it takes place in east germany and steed and co appear in the second half. weird
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Mar 2010, 06:14

shill wrote:yeah, i read to catch a rat. half of it takes place in east germany and steed and co appear in the second half. weird

And they appear horribly out-of-character to boot. Go for Fighting Men. It's ridiculously entertaining, and the Purdey/Gambit banter is spot-on. ^^
<<

avenger

Post 10 May 2010, 23:17

Re: The books

The only New Avengers book I have is Hostage which is a good read.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 May 2010, 23:33

Re: The books

avenger wrote:The only New Avengers book I have is Hostage which is a good read.

Hostage is pretty good, I agree, and it does some fun things changing up the storyline. Not as good as Fighting Men, but one of the better novels. ^^

Return to The New Avengers