Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Fabulous devotees

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Jan 2009, 23:57

Fabulous devotees

I must admit that I found out about Joanna through AbFab, like probably many others.. I didn't exactly like the show at first, I just didn't get what it was about. I loved French and Saunders though, and I started to appreciate AbFab as Jen's writing more and more, decided to buy the whole box set (it was quite a gamble though) and I'm proud to admit I'm an absolute devotee.

I've seen all the episodes at least ten times, watched and read inteviews about it, got DVDs and a book, and I've got all the official material that was ever released. (incl. specials and extra stuff) Joanna herself once said that some fans probably know more of the lines than the cast does (or at least Jennifer :lol:) and I guess that might be true. My fave character is - of course - the legendary Pats. (who else?)

Is anyone else as crazy about the show as I am?! (I do hope so...)
<<

mond257

Target

Post 12 Jan 2009, 01:21

Re: Fabulous devotees

possibly not QUITE as crazy about the show as you are maartje hehe but crazy all the same.

think i've watched the episodes about 5 times, and my favs more than that.

plus I kept rewinding the crisp revolution!! to me that is one of the funniest little snippets in the whole of Ab Fab!!!

Rock on Patsy yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2009, 08:12

Oh gawd, I'm SOOOOOOOOO crazy about Ab Fab, yess!!!! :squee: :wub: I too discovered Joanna through Ab Fab!! I'd never laughed at anything so hard before I saw Ab Fab. Completely brilliant. The writing is on an totally different level from any other comedy series. Jen Saunders is just too brilliant, as we're all well aware. Combine Joanna's brilliance with Jen's and you've got an explosive combination of talent that is just unbeatable (except by F&S, perhaps!! hehe). But yeah, I too own all of the episodes including all the specials, and I'm so glad to have them because it means I can enjoy Ab Fab whenever I want!! :cloud9:
No Room For Secrets
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jan 2009, 12:54

AbFabLaur89 wrote:Jen Saunders is just too brilliant, as we're all well aware. Combine Joanna's brilliance with Jen's and you've got an explosive combination of talent that is just unbeatable (except by F&S, perhaps!! hehe).

Haha, well said! I really do adore Dawnie, and F&S is great... But it doesn't beat AbFab for me. It might be the type of comedy, F&S is more 'unrealistic', while AbFab is completely focused on the latest trends, and fashion - it's feminine humour, and that's something rare cos comedy used to be male dominated.. Like for instance Menopause, it's terribly funny cos it's written by a female, and played by women, and therefore somehow recognisable...

I love AbFab, I've never regretted buying the box set. Joanna and Jen are - indeed - absolutely fabulous.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:17

I discovered Joanna through AbFab as well (how original are we :lol: )
I remember watching AbFab when I was really young, and I didn't really get it (I can't have been older than 8 ) because my dad and grandma loved it.
I instantly favoured Patsy over Eddie, I don't really know why. Even though I absolutely love Eddie to death as well, so it's not a case of liking and disliking, but loving and worshipping :lol:
I can definitely say I'm AbFab obsessed, I own all the dvd's, I know nearly every episode by heart including the audio commentary on series 4 and Gay ahaha.
Personally I don't think I could live without AbFab, it's just the most brilliant series ever in my opinion, and that's never going to change. No other series will ever win over AbFab :wub: :heart:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 19 Jan 2009, 07:33

^ That was beautiful Philly *wipes away tear* :cry: :worship: :wub:

LOL
No Room For Secrets
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Jan 2009, 08:17

Philippa wrote:Personally I don't think I could live without AbFab, it's just the most brilliant series ever in my opinion, and that's never going to change. No other series will ever win over AbFab :wub: :heart:

Ah, that is so cute! But you're completely right about AbFab being the best show you've seen so far: I feel exactly the same way about it, but sometimes I'd be so forget about all the episodes and watch everything for the first time.. :lol:

Do you remember your first episode?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 25 Mar 2009, 19:57

What always suprises me is the type of people that seem to love AbFab. It's a very femine sort of humor (for example the episode 'Menopause') and that's probably why I like it so much: it has never been shown before.

The fan base usually seems to exist of woman that love fashion and gay's. None of my friends knew who Jennifer Saunders was, except my gay friend who immediately recognised her as 'Eddie' and claimed he loved her and Pats. :tongue:
<<

Philippa

Post 25 Mar 2009, 20:54

Ahaha that's so funny! And true though for the most part I guess.
Though my dad really loves it as well :d

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 Jun 2009, 16:28

Did you ever notice how the most devoted AbFab fans are either fashion addicts, women and gay people? I've always wondered why exactly that is, because the cast is female, I think it's a very feminine sense of humor. Here's a good example.

In fact, the fact that is was pretty ground-breaking is another reason for me to love AbFab. It's so great that there are today more women in comedy than ever before!
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Jun 2009, 23:19

Definitely, I agree! There are so many female comedians around, though I have to admit that a lot of them aren't that funny. There are more funny male comedians around for some reason :lol:
But French & Saunders reign supreme over comedyland. Together of course with people like Joanna and Catherine Tate. Oh and Jane Horrocks is really funny too :d

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 May 2010, 15:28

You know i'm crazy about Ab Fab!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 16 May 2010, 16:59

There are some things that confuse me and I get things mixed up in Absolutely Fabulous but I love it.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 May 2010, 17:28

bexyshortcake wrote:There are some things that confuse me and I get things mixed up in Absolutely Fabulous but I love it.

You can always ask us, if you have any questions. :wink: I think I've figured this show out pretty much, haha.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 16 May 2010, 18:39

Ok thank you.
I did get a bit confused with who was older Saffy & Serge but I know now.

Return to Absolutely Fabulous