Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Assignment 4 discussion [contains spoilers]

<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2009, 07:32

Assignment 4 discussion [contains spoilers]

Here's the place to discuss Sapphire & Steel Assignment 4: The Man Without a Face!

Fire away! :party:
No Room For Secrets
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 07 Jun 2010, 18:10

Re: Assignment 4 discussion [contains spoilers]

I've made the tiniest start on this one, just one episode, although it's a short one. This is the famous Man-without-a-face episode about people popping out of pictures, I see--the guy looks like something out of a Magritte painting. Joanna's grown her hair back, though it's still a bit dark. I love her outfit--very floaty and quite Purdeyesque, actually. S&S also seem to have acquired a new power, to make people more likely to talk and be friendly to them just by touching them. At least, the woman in the flat above the shop they're investigating seems to be friendlier to them every time they put their hands on her shoulder, or maybe it's just me. Not much else to say thus far, except that the bit where Joanna was attacked by the umbrellas was a bit sniggerworthy. But this one has a good setting and looks like it'll be suspenseful and creepy. Better review when I've seen more.
<<

Kim

Post 08 Jun 2010, 13:44

I need to watch this one again, but from what I remember, I liked this one much better then assignment three.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Jun 2010, 17:23

Kim wrote:I need to watch this one again, but from what I remember, I liked this one much better then assignment three.

No wonder--I think I'd put 3 at the bottom of the ones I've seen thus far. This one's quite good--short but sweet. I finished it last night. For the disturb quotient, we have the little kids who want to actively torment Sapphire and Steel. I actually found that more disturbing than the faceless guy, who was really who I was dreading--he just looked like someone with plasticine over his head.

The premise is quite brilliant, though I don't quite get why S&S are only temporarily locked in pictures until the very end. The death of Ruth and the landlord in the photo as it's burned is very grusome and scary, and the way the kids snap like paper. We get some more S&S funny bits as Steel shows Sapphire how the faceless guy got out. She's sacastic--"No wonder Ruth was impressed"--and cheeky, quipping about how some people actually try to impress the ladies (hint, hint, Steel). Steel, on the flip side, is the jerkiest he's ever been, almost downright abusive as he berates Sapphire for not being able to get around the faceless guy's shield. But he's also at his most humane, insisting that no one else suffer Ruth's fate--he seems genuinely upset and angry about how she died. So quite a dichotomy there.

Liz is a great, sassy character, not taking any guff from Steel and Sapphire--"You're being creepy like your boyfriend." I was worried she was going to die, but she doesn't exactly come out unscathed. Can you imagine having to destroy every photo of you? That's not even possible. I thought the guy was trapped, but apparently he can still get out one way or another. Brrr.

If anything, this story is the opposite to 2--it's too short. The ending feels rushed as S&S try to escape the picture (love the reference to Silver and Mercury). I think it could have done with one more episode. It also gives us a nice bit of continuity--Sapphire makes reference to Assignment 1, when she got caught in the painting. Did anyone else notice that in the opening title sequence of episode 3, they've changed it slightly and replaced Lead with Mercury? It goes back to normal in the next story, and it's never happened before. Why the sudden change? So this was a good one. ^^

Return to Sapphire & Steel