Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Jane Horrocks

<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Sep 2009, 11:14

Jane Horrocks

Is this okay to chat about Jane here? I couldn't think of a section that's more appropriate or another thread about Jane, and I didn't want to comandeer the 'movie' thread. :angel:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:No Jane isn't Scottish. She's from Lancashire.

Well, she does a good accent then. And she actually looks rather Scots as well. Maybe she has the heritage? She almost burbles, does Jane. Either way she sounds adorable. It's amazing how well you hear the voice when there are no visuals to pair with it. I heard Billy Boyd in Dirk Gently, and paid much more attention to his voice than I ever had in Lord of the Rings. Gorgeous. ^^

I can't remember Jane ever doing a Scottish accent, but I'm sure she can - she can do any accent - she's brilliant at them. She is from Rawtenstall, which is pronounced Rotten-stall in Lancs. I love that accent.

Jane was in her own comedy special a few years ago called Never Mind The Horrocks. These two sketches are may favourite. (Warning: there is one rude word in the first one)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpOvv2VFJY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLa4e0ihOE

Jane reminds me a little of the actress Fenella Fielding in those clips. There are other clips from her show on there as well ... ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Sep 2009, 11:19

Re: Jane Horrocks

Of course it's Ok to have a thread about Jane here - feel free to open one for Julia and June if you like too. :wink:

Recently, I watched her in the fantastic movie Little Voice and her performance touched me somehow. She's the cutest thing because of her high voice and her height, but it's amazing what she can do when it comes to both acting and singing.

Also... Don't you just love her in this video? ^^
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 13 Sep 2009, 11:32

Not seen that clip before. She's adorable.

A theatrical version version of 'Little Voice' is going on tour (sadly without Jane), but does include Marc Warren.

Details and pics here
http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertai ... wds&bbkid=[Little+Voice]&x
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Sep 2009, 12:08

Oh, that's a shame, I would have loved to see it if it was Jane playing the main character.

I do like Never Mind The Horrocks a lot as well - I had a really good laugh watching that first video, haha. ''Marching!'' :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Sep 2009, 12:10

Oh yes a thread about Jane, very nice! :happy:
I love her, she's so multitalented. I haven't seen Little Voice yet, but I'd really love to.
Never Mind The Horrocks was great, shame it was only a one-off. I wish she'd do more.
Another nice video: Robbie Williams and Jane Horrocks - Things :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Sep 2009, 12:18

Philippa wrote:Another nice video: Robbie Williams and Jane Horrocks - Things :grin:

Haha, that's the very same video I posted earlier. Too cute, isn't it? :wub:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 13 Sep 2009, 12:40

Ah well it didn't specifiy anything about the content and I was too busy with schoolwork to watch the video :lol:
I wasn't even on the forum though, I was studying :whistle:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Sep 2009, 13:27

Philippa wrote:I wasn't even on the forum though, I was studying :whistle:

Of course you were, I have no doubts. :lol:

Anyway - back to Jane. You should really watch Little Voice sometime, it's a rather simple, but really lovely movie. Jane plays her character so well, and her impersonations of all the old stars are fantastic.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 13 Sep 2009, 13:43

I read that the part, indeed the whole play, was written for Jane by Jim Cartwright when he heard her singing backstage on another project they were working on together called Road - another very disturbing play.

Jane's next project is a biopic of the wartime singer Gracie Fields for BBC4. She had already sung Gracie Fields' song in the Little Voice movie.

If anyone has a copy of Getting It Right, a movie she made in 1990, please let me know. She broke my heart in that film. :cry:

Meantime, here is a clip from The Amazing Mrs Pritchard, a BBC series from 2006, where Jane plays a woman who becomes the Prime Minister
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tckpv6D9owE
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Dec 2010, 17:56

Lovely 5 minute interview with Jane Horrocks on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment ... um=twitter

So that's Joanna and Jane in... come on Julia and June! :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Dec 2010, 11:21

Maartje wrote:Lovely 5 minute interview with Jane Horrocks on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment ... um=twitter

So that's Joanna and Jane in... come on Julia and June! :lol:

That's a lovely interview. I like the fact that she doesn't understand Shakespeare, so I am not alone :lmao: And I love the fact that she would like to do AbFab. I just hope that Julia and June will do it, too!!!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 05 Dec 2010, 12:28

Well I can clearly see why she doesn't understand Shakespeare but it does take some courage to fully admit that on TV. :lol: I really enjoyed the interview as well but I'm rather surprised she doesn't know much about the AbFab reunion!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Dec 2010, 15:43

Fab!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"

Return to Absolutely Fabulous