Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 11:44

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

We really can't do without a topic on this fabulous Bond film! Even though Joanna had only one line (which she seems still proud of today, hihi) this movie is still worth watching.

My favourite Bond movie really, the final scene is so sad!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:44

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Read the book--it's even sadder. Some of those late Fleming Bonds were absolute heartbreakers. :cry:

The scenary in this one is especially stunning. Joanna knitted a blanket for Jamie while she sat on set, and saw a ghost of a dead mountain climber in her room. :hypnose:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:50

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The scenary in this one is especially stunning. Joanna knitted a blanket for Jamie while she sat on set, and saw a ghost of a dead mountain climber in her room. :hypnose:


I knew the story of the scarf but the ghost one I can't remember. I'm not sure if I believe in ghost stories anyway, at least not the one they always tell in crap TV programmes. Jo's experience must have been freaky though.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:53

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

I knew the blanket story, and the ghost mountain climber story sounds vaguely familiar as well. Dear Jo, seeing ghosts everywhere :lol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:55

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

He was sitting on her bed putting his boots on, looked up at her when she came in, then faded away--she talks about it in NRFS. Joanna's always experiencing spooky, supernatural stuff, and she has no reason to lie about it. I suspect there's something going on out there that we don't understand...
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 16:04

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Oh no, I'm sure she wouldn't lie about it either. I don't usually tend to believe ghost stories but I see no reason why Jo would make this up. I remember she talked about it in NRFS as well but it doesn't really seem to upset her. :shock:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 31 Dec 2010, 16:07

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Maartje wrote:Oh no, I'm sure she wouldn't lie about it either. I don't usually tend to believe ghost stories but I see no reason why Jo would make this up. I remember she talked about it in NRFS as well but it doesn't really seem to upset her. :shock:


Some people just seem to see this sort of stuff, and Joanna appears to be one of them. I meant to say she talks about the mountain climber in SBAS, btw, but she talks about ghosts lots in NRFS.
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 31 Dec 2010, 19:05

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

I think you have to have a sensitive and open nature to experience Other Worldly occurances. That's why I've never seen a ghost - I'm too hard-nosed and cynical. ^^
Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 31 Dec 2010, 20:48

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Avengerdan wrote:I think you have to have a sensitive and open nature to experience Other Worldly occurances. That's why I've never seen a ghost - I'm too hard-nosed and cynical. ^^


Maybe one day, Dandy. If there's hope for Michael Gambon in the last Who Christmas special, it can happen to anyone. :thumb:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 22:15

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Avengerdan wrote:I think you have to have a sensitive and open nature to experience Other Worldly occurances. That's why I've never seen a ghost - I'm too hard-nosed and cynical. ^^


I think you're right - I guess this also goes for me. Jo's stories are fascinating though, I'm surprised she's been willing to share them.
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 03 Jan 2011, 14:52

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

I managed to watch the movie during the Christmas holidays. When I watched it I knew I had seen it before because I remembered some of the scenes. the end was really very sad, I guess that's what I remembered most. But it was fun to watch Joanna knitting her blanket. I feel in love with the music and yesterday I found a CD in my rack "best of James Bond" and there it was. Now at least I can listen to the music over and over again :lmao:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jan 2011, 14:56

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

LunaFive wrote:I managed to watch the movie during the Christmas holidays. When I watched it I knew I had seen it before because I remembered some of the scenes. the end was really very sad, I guess that's what I remembered most. But it was fun to watch Joanna knitting her blanket. I feel in love with the music and yesterday I found a CD in my rack "best of James Bond" and there it was. Now at least I can listen to the music over and over again :lmao:


It's very sad, isn't it? But also very well-made--the scenary is breathtaking.

I have a "Best of Bond" CD, too, with both major songs from OHMSS. Wonder if it's the same one?
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jan 2011, 15:07

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

OHMSS is on the Best of Bond, I have that too. The Louis Armstrong We Have All The Time In The World song is on it as well. It's worth getting the official OST as a lot of the music are variations of that great theme and I also have a Propellerheads/David Arnold 9 min. remix which is splendid.

YouTubey! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFjQXkEfz2c
Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jan 2011, 16:39

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Avengerdan wrote:OHMSS is on the Best of Bond, I have that too. The Louis Armstrong We Have All The Time In The World song is on it as well. It's worth getting the official OST as a lot of the music are variations of that great theme and I also have a Propellerheads/David Arnold 9 min. remix which is splendid.

YouTubey! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFjQXkEfz2c


There have been a lot of Best of Bond albums over the years, so it's tough to know if we all have the same one. I have the 2002 release with the blue cover:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bestofbondcd.jpg

It has a cover of the Bond theme by Moby that I love--there's a gorgeous bridge in the middle that I wish they'd use in more versions. :wub:
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jan 2011, 18:19

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Ah, I think mine is an earlier edition to that. I think it stops at Tina Turner.
Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jan 2011, 18:30

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Avengerdan wrote:Ah, I think mine is an earlier edition to that. I think it stops at Tina Turner.


Mine stops at The World is Not Enough--it was supposed to be a fortieth anniversary one. I've played it to death over the years, though. Bond themes have produced some amazing music. :yes:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 03 Jan 2011, 19:54

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Mine has 19 tracks on it, the last one is Tomorrow Never Dies.

I agree with you, Timeless, it is very sad but the scenery is great. I just found out that I'm too far away from the area they shot it (I asked our friend who visited us for Christmas, he lives in Switzerland). But I sure want to see these mountains on my own some day, the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau! (but no knitting for me, :lmao: )
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Jan 2011, 21:32

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

The ghost story is freaky-- and I didn't know about it!

It was funny, when Dad received his special envelope it said 'On Her Majesty's Service' on the envelope only I read it as 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service.' :wink:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jan 2011, 22:49

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

LunaFive wrote:Mine has 19 tracks on it, the last one is Tomorrow Never Dies.

I agree with you, Timeless, it is very sad but the scenery is great. I just found out that I'm too far away from the area they shot it (I asked our friend who visited us for Christmas, he lives in Switzerland). But I sure want to see these mountains on my own some day, the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau! (but no knitting for me, :lmao: )


Mine's slightly more recent, then, but not by much. ^^

I think it would be awesome to travel up to Piz Gloria one day. You really couldn't build a better set than what they have up there. I hear the wait to go up is huge, though.

JackieO wrote:The ghost story is freaky-- and I didn't know about it!

It was funny, when Dad received his special envelope it said 'On Her Majesty's Service' on the envelope only I read it as 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service.' :wink:


Oh, didn't you? It's in her bio, and it's definitely freaky. If I saw a ghost, I don't think I'd handle it half as calmly as Joanna. ^^

Maybe your dad is a spy, Laura, and this OBE is a reward for his last mission. :wink:
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Jan 2011, 23:28

Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Haaah maybe :wink:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"

Return to Other

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred