Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Joanna on the French & Saunders Radio 2 show

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Jan 2011, 11:11

Re: Joanna on the French & Saunders Radio 2 show

Haha I love it!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Jan 2011, 11:42

Avengerdan wrote:But you certainly fed the comedy, with Jen stumbling and Dawn saying "That's alright ... " or something - and then the Primula commet (which I looked up - is Norwegian!) Pity Joanna wasn't there - she'd have known how to pronounce it! :lol:

Ahaha! I didn't sound familiar at all but I was too lazy to look it up to be honest... nice geographical skills indeed, Jen. :lmao:

It's kinda hilarious because this wasn't the first time she was trying to spell my name - she wrote it down over two years ago on one of her own tour flyers but I can't really blame her for not remembering the correct spelling, ahaha.

The thing is, it doesn't have the 'hh' in the middle which is what gets especially Britons confused. It's just a really long 'aaa' sound which you guys are not familiar with in your pronunciation and are finding it therefore hard to pronounce. Believe me, I've had British teachers who have been living here for over 20 years and still had trouble getting it right. Jo's attempt was amazing knowing how little experience she must have with pronouncing the Dutch language.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Jan 2011, 21:10

Maartje wrote:Primula, I know right? :lmao: Nice one, Jen.

First one here to pronounce my name properly will get a cookie! (except for Philippa 'cause that wouldn't be fair really, wouldn't it?) :lol:

I've asked you about this already, so it's not really fair. It's essentially a feminised take on the English "Marty," yes? Only less "t" and more "ah"?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jan 2011, 23:05

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've asked you about this already, so it's not really fair. It's essentially a feminised take on the English "Marty," yes? Only less "t" and more "ah"?

You have and I think you'd be able to get it right now. You could teach Jen! :lol:

Also Timeless, I should also point out that they used the I Don't Feel Like Dancing track on their show. Is that reason enough for you to listen to it? :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jan 2011, 03:31

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've asked you about this already, so it's not really fair. It's essentially a feminised take on the English "Marty," yes? Only less "t" and more "ah"?

You have and I think you'd be able to get it right now. You could teach Jen! :lol:

Also Timeless, I should also point out that they used the I Don't Feel Like Dancing track on their show. Is that reason enough for you to listen to it? :wink:

Woo, look at me, saying Dutch names and everything! :hyper:

I'd happily listen to the show if I wasn't working so hard this week. :doubt: If you gave me a times for your bit in the program I might be able to catch that, though (and possibly my beloved Scissor Sisters, too, yes :whistle: ).
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 Jan 2011, 12:40

Timeless A-Peel wrote:If you gave me a times for your bit in the program I might be able to catch that, though (and possibly my beloved Scissor Sisters, too, yes :whistle: ).

I think I posted the time in one of my first posts already but here we go: I believe it was 1:30:47 minutes into the show. ^^ The Scissor Sisters were part of the playlist of a different episode though, I'm not sure if that one's still available on iPlayer...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jan 2011, 17:28

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:If you gave me a times for your bit in the program I might be able to catch that, though (and possibly my beloved Scissor Sisters, too, yes :whistle: ).

I think I posted the time in one of my first posts already but here we go: I believe it was 1:30:47 minutes into the show. ^^ The Scissor Sisters were part of the playlist of a different episode though, I'm not sure if that one's still available on iPlayer...

That's okay--I have all the albums, so if I have a hankering, I can listen to "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" any time I want. ^^

I'll go and look for your bit, though. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jan 2011, 03:35

I listened to it. That's awesome, Maartje! :hyper: They spelt your name out and everything. Look at me, I know someone who was mentioned on Radio 2. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jan 2011, 12:24

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I listened to it. That's awesome, Maartje! :hyper: They spelt your name out and everything. Look at me, I know someone who was mentioned on Radio 2. :grin:

Haha, thanks. I'm still finding this hilarious to be honest, I wish they would have used the studio's webcam so I could have seen Jennifer's face whilst spelling my name. I'm sure it must have looked a bit like :huh: and :lolol:, haha.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jan 2011, 18:26

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I listened to it. That's awesome, Maartje! :hyper: They spelt your name out and everything. Look at me, I know someone who was mentioned on Radio 2. :grin:

Haha, thanks. I'm still finding this hilarious to be honest, I wish they would have used the studio's webcam so I could have seen Jennifer's face whilst spelling my name. I'm sure it must have looked a bit like :huh: and :lolol:, haha.

No doubt. The perils of pronunciation across languages. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Jan 2011, 19:36

I wish I could have listened to it, but when I tried to do so, it wasn't any longer available. Only 55 minutes. :no:
*Listen to the song of life*
Previous

Return to Other