Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Joanna Lumley in the land of the Northern Lights

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 14 Jan 2012, 19:49

Re: Joanna Lumley in the land of the Northern Lights

Heleno wrote:Although what I loved above everything else was Jo's willingness to give anything a go, she truly captures the spirit of adventure. Also there was something so endearing about her desire to find the lights, so much so that I was so happy for her when she found them that I shed a little tear. :blush:

How lovely that you finally got to see it. It's a beautiful documentary, and my favourite, still. The moments she sees the light and is truly moved by the sight of it, still touches me, even though I've watched that documentary a dozens of times already.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Jan 2012, 00:15

Heleno wrote:I've managed to miss this every single time it's been broadcast but finally, last night, I watched it. Stunning scenery, exquisite music and the beautiful Joanna -- what more could a girl ask for? ^^

Although what I loved above everything else was Jo's willingness to give anything a go, she truly captures the spirit of adventure. Also there was something so endearing about her desire to find the lights, so much so that I was so happy for her when she found them that I shed a little tear. :blush:

Marvellous stuff indeed!

So great that you finally got to see it. It's still my favourite out of all her documentaries, and the way you described it is just perfect. It's not just the imagery that makes it my favourite one, but also the way in which Joanna approaches it all, and how she shows herself in front of the camera. Truly magical :wub:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

JoannaFan

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 15 Jan 2012, 09:51

wow, yeah I love this doco! I saw it when it came out and I thought it was fantastic. She is able to capture the real essence of a country the way she speaks and describes it. She really portrayed an interesting and exciting image on a country that isn't the most popular place to visit in the world and made it seem enchanting. I love how she does this!! :wub:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Jan 2012, 11:13

Becky wrote:It's a brilliant doco. Poor jo's eyelashes lol

And may I add poor Jo's legs! I felt her pain in that ice-hotel, let me tell you! I wouldn't last ten seconds in an environment like that; I struggle when it gets a bit nippy over here so I'd pretty much die in the Arctic. But that's what I love about Jo; in the ice-hotel she heard herself starting to complain and get a little bit down and she was like 'right, let's stop moaning and get on with it,' and completely pulled herself together.

JoannaFan wrote:She really portrayed an interesting and exciting image on a country that isn't the most popular place to visit in the world and made it seem enchanting. I love how she does this!! :wub:

To be honest, Jo's the sort of person who could make a rock seem enchanting merely by describing it. :grin:

But I think that's probably because she genuinely has the ability to see the magic within absolutely everything, couple that with a passion for discovery and an effortless way with words and you have some mesmerising documentaries on your hands. :wub:
Previous

Return to Documentaries