Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Debra Stephenson as Joanna

<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 15 Sep 2011, 10:32

Debra Stephenson as Joanna

Not sure whether this has been seen before, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLxjHOnJ ... re=related
<<

Becky

Obsession

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Sep 2011, 10:37

Re: Debra Stephenson as Joanna

I've seen it :D
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 16 Sep 2011, 10:55

I've seen it before too. I have to admit that her look and the way she talks are pretty good, but the voice's totally off. Still, Jo must be very hard to parody though.
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 15 Jan 2012, 12:43

I know this is quite an old topic but I just felt I had to post as I remember watching this on TV and thinking how awful it was! :no:

OK maybe I'm being tad harsh; it was about 50% correct, but the other 50% was way off.

To be fair Jo's got a bloody difficult voice to impersonate as there's so much going on; it's deep and breathy (two things that shouldn't really go together anyway) yet at the same time there's a raspy-ness to it and a tinge of Alan Rickman-esque gutturality (yes that is a word, I checked! I'm talking about gutturality, not Alan Rickman-esque, which isn't, in fact, a word. Although it really should be!)

And the moral of the story is boys and girls; Jo is recognisable in various places all over the world for her voice alone. Why? Because it is utterly unique in every possible way. Do not even attempt to recreate it in public unless you've spent ten years locked away in a room perfecting it. :wink:

On a side note, has anyone seen Ronni Ancona's impression of Jennifer Saunders as performed at the The Secret Policeman's Ball a few years back? It's amazingly accurate! :hypnose:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 15 Jan 2012, 13:15

Oh I agree with you Helen, it's not perfectly accurate. (your description of her voice, on the other hand, is. Richmanesque? Love it) :lol: It must be because Joanna's voice has such an unique sound. However, I did think the impersonation was funny: not precisely accurate but she did her best and I laughed. I love how she immediately changed to Patsy when the cameras were switched off: clever.

''And I should know, I'm Joanna Lumley''

:lmao:

Heleno wrote:On a side note, has anyone seen Ronni Ancona's impression of Jennifer Saunders as performed at the The Secret Policeman's Ball a few years back? It's amazingly accurate! :hypnose:

Brilliant, isn't it? Ruby was good but the impersonation of Jennifer... Scary. (in case anyone doesn't know what we are talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09FLN7J2t0)
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 15 Jan 2012, 14:20

Mara wrote:Oh I agree with you Helen, it's not perfectly accurate. (your description of her voice, on the other hand, is. Richmanesque? Love it) :lol: It must be because Joanna's voice has such an unique sound. However, I did think the impersonation was funny: not precisely accurate but she did her best and I laughed.

Don't mind me, I'm just ridiculously pernickety and quick to criticise! :tongue:

Mara wrote:I love how she immediately changed to Patsy when the cameras were switched off: clever.

I agree, that was very clever indeed. :yes: :grin:

Mara wrote:
Heleno wrote:On a side note, has anyone seen Ronni Ancona's impression of Jennifer Saunders as performed at the The Secret Policeman's Ball a few years back? It's amazingly accurate! :hypnose:

Brilliant, isn't it? Ruby was good but the impersonation of Jennifer... Scary. (in case anyone doesn't know what we are talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09FLN7J2t0)

It is rather terrifying how good it is. I loved the way Ronni barely moved her lips, because actually Jen barely moves her lips when she talk which is what gives her such a characteristic voice, that and the fact she speaks entirely through her nose! Also, the head-flopping/aggressive nodding practically had me on the floor! :lmao:

Paying close attention to detail definitely pays off when it comes to impressions. :yes:
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 15 Jan 2012, 15:50

Ive seen vids of people trying to Be like Jo and no one can really pull it off. I must say I startled myself a few months ago I was laughing really hard out and for 2 seconds I sounded like Jo a bit and stopped

Return to Joanna discussion