Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Reviews

<<

CurlyWurly

Target

Post 22 Feb 2009, 17:26

Reviews

I have a bunch of old articles saved on my laptop, including these reviews which might be of interest to someone LOL......

Series 1

The Times

Episode 2 - November 17 2005
SENSITIVE SKIN
BBC Two, 10pm
There is such a thing as poetry on television — moments when writing and acting combine to evoke a mood that, in some imperceptible way, cleanses the spirit and makes you a kinder and more thoughtful person, if only for a few moments. On the surface, the relationship between the husband and wife who have been married for more than 30 years (Denis Lawson and Joanna Lumley) is the stuff of comedy — endearing, ridiculous and easy to watch. But it is the introspection and sadness underneath that gives the work its richness and beauty. Poetry loses all of its power when paraphrased, but if you watch this episode — and I beg you to watch this episode — you’ll see what I mean.

Episode 3 - November 24 2005
SENSITIVE SKIN
BBC Two, 10pm
While David Warner’s oh-so- charming man of letters is busy making Joanna Lumley feel desirable, poor old Denis Lawson is stuck at home agonising about a book prize and what to say to his fellow judges. “Say what you think,” his wife tells him. Her advice doesn’t help. “Darling, darling,” he replies. “There are ways of saying what you think that make people think that what you’re thinking is actually more thoughtful than you actually think it is. I mean, what do you think?” But for all his spluttering confusion, by the end of this episode he has realised what it is that makes a work of art a classic. “It’s when you know something is true.” And it is the truthfulness behind the jokes that makes this series so haunting.

Episode 4 - December 1 2005
SENSITIVE SKIN
BBC Two, 10pm
Here are three theories worth testing while you wait for the medication to kick in. First, whatever object you can see in the room around you, you know how it would taste if you touched it with your tongue. Second, if you find yourself humming a tune or singing a song for no apparent reason, go through the lyrics and you’ll discover whatever is preying at the back of your mind. Finally — and a little more sensibly — the imaginative use of music is the guarantee that a programme is worth watching. Tonight, Al (Denis Lawson) is forced to take piano lessons, and piano music provides the backdrop to an unusually light and funny episode. When film- makers get the music right, it is odds-on that they’ve got everything else right as well.

Episode 5 - December 8 2005
SENSITIVE SKIN
BBC Two, 10pm
One of the most powerful images in modern drama is the illuminated mouth of Beckett’s Not I screaming out of the blackness. Tonight’s episode of Sensitive Skin begins with a brilliant comic variation on that image, and from there it gets funnier and funnier. After a lifetime in accountancy, the strait-laced brother-in-law (Nicholas Jones) has decided to break loose. “There are other and more exciting choices to be made,” he tells Davina (Joanna Lumley). “So I just wanted you to know that I have decided to open myself up to these experiences — to make myself available for new possibilities.” While he is being open and available, everyone else is getting stoned with his son.

Episode 6 - December 15 2005
SENSITIVE SKIN
BBC Two, 10pm
This may be the closest that a TV drama has come to evoking the serenity and sadness of a chamber piece by Schubert. Because it is the last in the series, it is difficult to preview without ruining it, so all I can reasonably do is beg you to watch it. It is a gem — and a precious one at that, even though it does have a flaw. The writer Hugo Blick has already established himself as the master of the monologue, and here he has written an inspired two-hander. With all attention on the relationship between Davina and Al (Joanna Lumley and Denis Lawson), the rest of the family are given little to work with apart from resentment. But when you’re listening to a haunting piece of music and someone coughs, does it matter?

The Daily Telegraph

Sensitive Skin
BBC 2, 10.00 pm
I don’t think the angst of the contemporary, affluent middle class has yet been so well captured as in this fine series. Via Denis Lawson and Joanna Lumley, it’s asked “what now?” for the aging first generation that really thought it could have it all. Love and happiness jostle with constant daily disappointment; a marriage splits up, a heart stops beating properly and even – amazingly – real honesty appears. Tonight’s poignant, sad and clever ending feeds into a second series, already commissioned, but not set to grace our screens until 2007.

Series 2

The Times

Sensitive Skin, BBC Two, 10pm – Episode 1
Hugo Blick’s sixtysomething drama starring Joanna Lumley returns for a second series. Broadly speaking, it is a story of love, money, sex, betrayal and loss. Apart from being hugely funny in places, it also achieves something that is rare in TV drama – it is beautiful. Although drenched in autumnal sadness, it is so sharply observed that it never subsides, like a bad French art film, into a sodden wallow. The last time around, in a desperate attempt to explain why it was so affecting, I compared it to a chamber piece by Schubert and wound up in Private Eye’s Pseuds Corner. Nonetheless, the series is a masterpiece – the kind of drama that makes up for the shallow and mediocre nastiness of so much television. Please, I beg of you, don’t miss it.

Sensitive Skin, BBC Two, 10pm – Episode 2
Why is this series such essential viewing? Because it describes loneliness and loss using the language of comedy; because it is sharply written and beautifully performed by actors with decades of experience and no vanity, and because – unlike most television nowadays – it recognises that the 20 to 30-year-old demographic does not represent the entire population of this country. It also uses a soundtrack to brilliant effect, including everything from Bach and Mozart to Chris Isaak and Cat Stevens. The comedy in tonight’s episode, which stars Maureen Lipman as a diabolical feminist and Jean Marsh as a gentle fantasist, is broader than in previous episodes, but – like all the funniest comedy – it is still profoundly serious at heart.

Sensitive Skin, BBC Two, 10pm – Episode 3
One of the many wonderful aspects of the BBC’s production of Bleak House was the way familiar faces — actors such as Johnny Vegas — gave such unexpected performances. Something similar happens tonight with Anthony Head, who in the past has always seemed too smooth by half. Davina (Joanna Lumley) is, in her own words, sitting there like Elsa the lioness without a clue what to do with her freedom. Along comes Head, full of charm and laughter, and it isn’t long before the two of them are bobbing up and down on the Thames. This is the one occasion when, if Anthony Head offered you a cup of coffee, it would be churlish to refuse.

The Times - TV Review - 5 out of 5 stars

Apart from “Bolly, sweetie?” and “Lacroix” one of the most revealing of Patsy Stone’s expressions in Absolutely Fabulous was “Super smashing thanks a lot”, which Joanna Lumley muttered very quickly. It was curt, dismissive, fantastically shallow, so Patsy.

In Sensitive Skin, Lumley’s character Davina again swallows almost every word to the point of inaudibility. She couldn’t be less Patsy-like, yet the ghost of Patsy’s beehive, and Purdey from The New Avengers and a general air of roughed-up 1960s glamour, still hangs around her. The sound of a ticking clock played over the opening moments of the first episode of the second series. Time was passing, yet Davina was frozen in stasis. “He’ll be here soon,” Davina said in a voiceover about husband Al.

But Al was dead. We flashed back to the end of the last scene of the last series and her emerging from his hospital room screaming for medical help; that scream smashed, like a hammer shattering glass, the hushed restraint of Hugo Blick’s drama.

Sensitive Skin is one of those odd-balls of the schedules: it was initially sold as a sixtysomethings-living-it-up comedy drama, Lumley and Denis Lawson (as Al) residing in a fantastically trendy flat in East London, and out-cooling every skater boy in a 20-mile radius. But Blick instead minutely deconstructed a floundering marriage. Davina toyed with the idea of leaving Al for the younger Greg (Adam Rayner) in his crotch-hugging leathers. There was comedy, but it also felt so bleak and compressed that it might have been one of those bitter French arthouse films.

Any laugh was bracketed with piercing sadness. Now Davina seemed blasted by Al’s demise; she drifted almost invisibly into work at the art gallery in Clapham run by Sam (Oliver Cotton) and had been to see 34 flats since Al’s death. Her son Orlando had gone missing. Davina’s sister Veronica (Maggie Steed) and her husband Roger (Nicholas Jones) had taken her in.

The trio went to a restaurant where a sleazy plumber tried to pick her up, only for his wife to turn on Davina viciously, assuming she was a lonely divorcée “looking for a jolly good rodding”. Veronica couldn’t stand having her stay: Roger was sexually fascinated by Davina (“She is to me as a piano is without a player”) and it was killing their marriage.

Blick’s brilliance as a writer was to make us laugh at his absurdity while also showing the strangulating anger and bitterness of Veronica, furious at how Davina had “looks, beauty, money and freedom”, while she – who had stayed true to her marriage – was trapped. She erupted on a bus after a shopping trip, leaving Davina with most of her bags.

Greg returned in his leathers but Davina gently sent him packing. The horrible plumber bought a painting of Davina, Widow in the Wilderness, which showed her naked and screaming. His jealous wife slashed it to pieces – in her fury only just missing an electrical cable, and near-death, by inches.

Blick, who writes, directs and produces the show, is a master of such detail. It’s there in his direction, too: he makes London, so overfilmed and overexposed, feel unfamiliar. In some scenes the camera stays quite still and far from his actors, so you feel like a spectator at an art gallery watching a moving picture. He has crafted a weird, compulsive curio that is quite unlike anything else on TV. Lumley’s character is so pared back that she sometimes feels invisible. It is a brilliant portrayal of true grief; less wailing, more numb, stumbling. The second season will be the last, so savour this bitter, strange fruit while you can.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Feb 2009, 19:54

Re: Reviews

Thanks, these are great :claps: :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 23 Feb 2009, 20:53

Thanks for posting these!
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 15 Jan 2012, 14:35

I know this is quite an old topic but I just wanted to thank you CurlyWurly for posting these; it's so rare of reviews to be so consistently full of praise, especially here in good ol' Britannia where the media is really quite cynical. I was going to watch the series anyway, but after reading those articles, I absolutely can't wait! :hyper:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jan 2012, 09:56

Oh yes you should defnitely watch Sensitive Skin! In my view it's a masterpiece, and one of Joanna's best performances :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jan 2012, 12:45

Uh, Sensitive Skin, a great series, Joanna is wonderful in it, a definately must-watch!!! :yes:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 21 Jan 2012, 04:49

I'm definitely going to watch it. I'm having to be careful as far as streaming/downloading is concerned at the moment though; I've been watching so much Joanna related footage online lately that I exceeded my Gb limit on such an extraordinary level that I ended up being charged an extra £100 penalty fee. I say 'I', I mean 'we.' Let me just say this; mother was not impressed. :blush: :whistle:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jan 2012, 12:42

What? You actually have to pay for streams nowadays? Where is this (online) world going to? :roll: The war on terrorism has now become a war on downloadism haha.

I'm glad you're enjoying this series of much Helen, it's possibly one of my favourite things Joanna has ever been in. How many episodes have you seen so far?
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 22 Jan 2012, 00:45

Oh sorry Mara, I wasn't very clear. What I meant was that I exceeded my broadband provider's 10 gigabyte usage limit by watching and downloading loads of footage in December -- I used about 40 gigabytes if you can believe it! They charge you extra for every gigabyte you exceed so we ended up with a £100 added to our bill! :faint:

So now I'm having to careful as to how much stuff I download/watch online. The only working download links I can find for the first episode of the series are 1gb in size, which really is quite large and the series isn't available to watch anywhere online (I've searched all the likely places), hence why I haven't been able to watch a single episode. :no:

I think I'll probably end up buying the first season dvd, it'll probably be much easier! :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Jan 2012, 00:51

I think buying the DVDs will save you a lot of trouble, not to mention money :lol: They're only £4.49 and £3.97 on Amazon

<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 22 Jan 2012, 00:59

I didn't think they'd be too expensive, but that's ridiculously cheap! :lol:

Unfortunately a lack of bank/savings account (long story) means lack of an ability to buy things online. However, I think I might be able to convince my sister to buy them for me...we'll see. It sort of depends on whether she's in a good mood or not! :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Jan 2012, 09:48

Be extra nice to her. Make her cups of tea and stuff :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Jan 2012, 12:11

Philippa wrote:I think buying the DVDs will save you a lot of trouble, not to mention money :lol: They're only £4.49 and £3.97 on Amazon

Oh my, that's ridiculously cheap! I remember buying mine (Dutch edition) for 7 euros each and I thought I'd scored a bargain. :lol: That was years ago though, might even considering buying the UK edition now. :whistle:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 23 Jan 2012, 17:11

Philippa wrote:Be extra nice to her. Make her cups of tea and stuff :lol:

You'd think that'd be enough, wouldn't you?

Alas, she visited yesterday (she's 31 and long since flown the nest.) I made her several cups of tea and was the epitome of charm and flattery during her stay. However, when I asked her she replied that she would only help me out if I did something for her in return. I made sure that she knew I was planning on giving her the money to buy them with, but she said she would need to be 'compensated' for her 'hard' work; this compensation would take the form of either a five pound fee or an agreement that I enlist as a flat/dog sitter next weekend when she's planning on visiting some friends. I reluctantly agreed to the five pound levy; I gave her a tenner, the smallest amount I had on me at the time, and asked for my change back to which she refused. Seriously pissed off by this point I told her she could keep the bloody tenner as long as she bought me the bloody dvd, but no; once again I was rebuffed. Apparently the casual request for my change back was an act of 'impertinence.' And so with no other way for me to get her to agree to help me out, I am now going to be spending the entire duration of next weekend house-sitting with only a springer spaniel for company.

I love my sister dearly, I would do anything for her, would die for her, by my god is she a bitch! :lolol: (<----That's me laughing out of a combination of anger-induced hysteria and sheer incredulity as to the behaviour of my own flesh and blood.)

Return to Sensitive Skin