Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Joanna on Roger Royle Radio show

<<

ash3011

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 11 Apr 2012, 17:30

Joanna on Roger Royle Radio show

I recently found a(n old) recording of Joanna on the Roger Royle Radio Show where she talks about her life and beliefs. It was a 30 minute programme and her music choices were Paul Robeson's All God's Children Got Wings, The Prisoners' Chorus from Fidelio and Pavarotti's Santa Lucia.
I'm trying to date the programme. Does anyone have any ideas when it was broadcast? :unsure: Or is no one old enough to remember? :grin:
Thanks guys.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Apr 2012, 11:38

Re: ROGER ROYLE RADIO SHOW

Sorry, I never heard of that before, but I would love to listen to it of course!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Apr 2012, 13:25

I confess I'd never heard of this, either, but I did a quick search on Roger Royle, and he used to a host of the BBC Radio 2 Sunday Half Hour show, which I've heard about but never listened to. I'm guessing that's the radio show you mean. He hosted it from 1990 to 2007, so that narrows the date for your Joanna recording somewhat. Radio 2's archive only goes back to 2007 (with one show logged for 2006), and none of them mention Joanna in their brief summaries, but that doesn't mean anything. The only other way I can think of dating it is if she mentioned anything in it about her life or career that would narrow it down--how old her son is, or whether she has grandchildren, etc. I'm afraid I can't be of more help than that, having never listened to the show.
<<

ash3011

Post 14 Apr 2012, 12:06

Thanks for replying people, and thanks Timeless for your input and for using some of your Timeless time to search for Roger Royle :grin:.
Of course I'd already approximated the date of the show from the information contained in it. It was after Stare Back and Smile and shortly after Shirtley Valentine but pre-Absolutely Fabulous I think, so probably 1990. I just wanted an exact date if anyone knew it.
I always think it's possible to find ANYTHING on the internet and I'm disappointed when I can't :crybaby:. I'm sure I'll live with it :grin:.
Thanks again.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Apr 2012, 13:11

ash3011 wrote:Thanks for replying people, and thanks Timeless for your input and for using some of your Timeless time to search for Roger Royle :grin:.
Of course I'd already approximated the date of the show from the information contained in it. It was after Stare Back and Smile and shortly after Shirtley Valentine but pre-Absolutely Fabulous I think, so probably 1990. I just wanted an exact date if anyone knew it.
I always think it's possible to find ANYTHING on the internet and I'm disappointed when I can't :crybaby:. I'm sure I'll live with it :grin:.
Thanks again.

No problem at all, Ash. :happy: If it was around the time of Stare Back and Smile and Shirley Valentine, which both came out in 1989, then I agree that it's more likely than not to have been recorded in 1990. Short of digging up a comprehensive episode guide, it'll be hard to find an exact date, sadly--the internet has failed you! :lol:

Anyway, sorry we couldn't be of more help, but a year's better than nothing. All the best. :grin:
<<

ash3011

Post 14 Apr 2012, 14:07

Hi again Timeless.
After a bit more research I've discovered that before Sunday Half Hour, Roger Royle did the Good Morning Sunday show between 1985 and 1990.
Sunday Half Hour was always (and still is) an evening programme I think, and as well as having a woolly recollection that I recorded this in the morning, the time of day is also alluded to in the conversation - "we won't mention the part you played in Shirley Valentine recently, it's not ENTIRELY suitable for a Sunday morning" :grin: - so I'm pretty sure it was GMS and not SHH.
ANYWAY... it's only me who cares about this so I'll pop off now.
Cheers again :wave:.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Apr 2012, 13:18

ash3011 wrote:Hi again Timeless.
After a bit more research I've discovered that before Sunday Half Hour, Roger Royle did the Good Morning Sunday show between 1985 and 1990.
Sunday Half Hour was always (and still is) an evening programme I think, and as well as having a woolly recollection that I recorded this in the morning, the time of day is also alluded to in the conversation - "we won't mention the part you played in Shirley Valentine recently, it's not ENTIRELY suitable for a Sunday morning" :grin: - so I'm pretty sure it was GMS and not SHH.
ANYWAY... it's only me who cares about this so I'll pop off now.
Cheers again :wave:.

Ah, well, that makes sense, then. It may well date from 1989, then (again, as the release of Shirley Valentine was that year). Again, a shame we weren't able to pinpoint it better, but a year is better than nothing. Cheers. ^^

Return to Joanna discussion