Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Gurkha: The True Story of a Campaign for Justice

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Jul 2012, 11:01

Gurkha: The True Story of a Campaign for Justice

Stephen Fry just posted the link on Twitter! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurkha-True-Sto ... 184954137X

This book showed up in my Amazon recommendations before, but I wasn't really sure if this book would provide a reliable source. Peter Carroll (who was behind the campaign) wrote this book though, so this really could be an interesting read :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jul 2012, 11:22

Re: Gurkha: The True Story of a Campaign for Justice

Well, that sure does sound interesting and the cover is an interesting choice. Are you going to read it?
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Jul 2012, 15:46

Yes, I think I will. I've made myself promise that I won't order anymore stuff from Amazon in the next couple of months, but I expect the price might be lower when I do decide to place an order.

They received a lot of criticism after the campaign, and I want to know how the campaigners dealt with that. These causes don't just end because the media stop paying attention to it :wink:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jul 2012, 19:38

It looks like an interesting read, and I would love to hear the campaigners' side of the story and how they dealt with the criticism. I've too many books at the moment that I still need to read, but I do think I'll buy it at some point :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Jul 2012, 06:41

Philippa wrote:It looks like an interesting read, and I would love to hear the campaigners' side of the story and how they dealt with the criticism. I've too many books at the moment that I still need to read, but I do think I'll buy it at some point :yes:

Well, if you ever read it, let us know how you liked it, okay? :thumb:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Jul 2012, 13:03

Philippa wrote:It looks like an interesting read, and I would love to hear the campaigners' side of the story and how they dealt with the criticism. I've too many books at the moment that I still need to read, but I do think I'll buy it at some point :yes:

Mara wrote:Yes, I think I will. I've made myself promise that I won't order anymore stuff from Amazon in the next couple of months, but I expect the price might be lower when I do decide to place an order.

I love how we all have these self-imposed Amazon/book-buying limits. :lol: I'm with you, girls--too many books and all sorts of other stuff piled up to think of buying more. I've made it my summer goal to get through as much of it as possible and not buy new stuff. Stay strong! :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jul 2012, 14:13

It's not just books though - there are plenty of DVDs on my wish list, too. :whistle:

The rating's are pretty good so far though! 4,5 stars based on 11 reviews, it seems mr Carroll did quite a good job here. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Jul 2012, 09:52

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Mara wrote:Yes, I think I will. I've made myself promise that I won't order anymore stuff from Amazon in the next couple of months, but I expect the price might be lower when I do decide to place an order.

I love how we all have these self-imposed Amazon/book-buying limits. :lol: I'm with you, girls--too many books and all sorts of other stuff piled up to think of buying more. I've made it my summer goal to get through as much of it as possible and not buy new stuff. Stay strong! :lmao:

That's my goal too, Timeless :lmao: So far I've succumed to buying a book just once this summer, but it was at a flea market and only €0.50, so I'd say that was allowed :whistle:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Jul 2012, 13:02

Mara wrote:It's not just books though - there are plenty of DVDs on my wish list, too. :whistle:

Ah, yes, the ban extends to DVDs, too--no more of those until I watch all the ones I've already bought. I'm doing pretty well, actually--just started the last set, though it's Man in a Suitcase, which has 30 episodes, so I'll be on it for awhile. Why is there so much good stuff out there darn it? :lol:

Philippa wrote:That's my goal too, Timeless :lmao: So far I've succumed to buying a book just once this summer, but it was at a flea market and only €0.50, so I'd say that was allowed :whistle:

Yay, we can all hold out together! :hug: I'm down to 16 books now--I finished one yesterday. :yes: I have to do this now, because when I'm in school I read so much for class, I just don't have much time to do it for pleasure. And you are forgiven the flea market buy--I broke down and bought two books this summer, but they were ones I wanted so badly--a Life on Mars book of essays and a novelisation of Douglas Adams' Doctor Who script, Shada. I have justified this by telling myself I did it to test out Bookdepository.com, which sells books with free shipping. I'm pleased to report it works just fine. :whistle: But, um, yeah, this isn't helping you guys, is it? :lmao:

Return to Other