Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Assignment 6 discussion [contains spoilers]

<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2009, 07:34

Assignment 6 discussion [contains spoilers]

Here's the place to discuss Sapphire & Steel Assignment 6: The Trap!

Fire away! :party:
No Room For Secrets
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Jun 2010, 18:59

Re: Assignment 6 discussion [contains spoilers]

Only started this one--one episode in. But Jonathan Ross--I mean, Silver--is back. He must have been a fan favourite even back then. He's got a nice, slightly tacky silver waistcoat I'm not sure he had last time. He also cheats at slots, much to Steel's annoyance--"You're supposed to lose sometimes." "Oh, no wonder I'm not enjoying it." Great stuff. :lmao:

The humans that have travelled forward in time start out sympathetic, but by the end they've made you not like them. I don't know if that's intentional, but I tend to think so. Have to see the rest to get a good feel for it, but I have a sense of dread, because I know it's not going to end well. :no: Curse you, studio execs--give ATV its franchise back.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jun 2010, 16:59

Well, that's it. I have officially watched Sapphire and Steel from start to finish. All of it. Every single one of the 34 episodes. And now I've seen the ending for myself.

Well, that was depressing.

An anti-S&S conspiracy theory. I didn't see that one coming. I thought it was going to be some time beast or something that locked them up, but it wasn't--it was those darned Transients, who had it in for S&S because they were so good at their job and they were "free." And refused to work for them. Bitter, much? It's the equivalent of those Avengers episodes where Steed is set up by the turncoat members of his own side. Office politics exist everywhere it seems, even when you're some weird elemental time being. This was actually a very good story because it sketched out S&S's origins and purpose, as well as the structure and protocol of the "organisation," if you can call it that, that they work for. It lets us know that they can choose who they work for and why. But why their organisation doesn't sense that there's been a trap set up is a bit puzzling. And why pick on Silver? Come to think of it, what happened to Silver? He seemed to disappear by the end. He didn't seem to abandon them--even though he made out as though he might, before using the magical box. I guess he just didn't get swept up by the box at the end there. It's also a little unclear to me how they got S&S with the box, too--it's as though Steel was just too slow on the draw, but you'd think he'd go in a little more prepared to fire than that. And if S&S are trapped in the cafe at the end, how come the transients can leave? Is it some sort of basic rule that they don't have to follow that S&S do?

I will say I was suspicious of the girl, though--they really should have guessed that she was in on it more than she let on. It was freaky when everyone's eyes started glowing, and I started wondering about the girl's, but she seemed as worried as everyone else. Her story about why she wanted to help was pretty weak, though. So S&S kind of slipped up there, for once because Steel decided to be humane and dutiful and not abandon her. Great job, Steel--you're grouchy to humans the rest of the time, but the second you decide to side with the mortals, you pick the bad one. Nice work.

Anyway, it is a frustrating and hopeless ending--the transients leave them pocket chess of all things, just to be smug annoying jerks--made all the more frustrating by the fact that we know there was going to be a rescue. PJ Hammond just needed another series, but ATV went kaput. PJ was going to get another element to let them out--I suppose it might have been Silver, who knew what was going on. Maybe that's where he went, to get help or report in or something. So many questions. Argh! It really does make you want to get Joanna and David to do a one-off special to get them the heck out of there. TV is so unfair at times. But I'm still glad I watched it. This goes on the success pile with other recent joys, like Jason King. It's a great piece of cosy sci-fi/fantasy. ^^
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 16 Jun 2010, 16:38

Ah, just wait till I got my story ready where I get them out of the cafe. *lol*
Glad you enjoyed the TV show. Now, you can move on to the audio adventures. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

:D
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Jun 2010, 18:59

Khell wrote:Ah, just wait till I got my story ready where I get them out of the cafe. *lol*
Glad you enjoyed the TV show. Now, you can move on to the audio adventures. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Oh, yes, I'd love to read how you get them out. PJ Hammond has already said he had it worked out--another element would let them out, and yes, I think it would have been Silver--but I'd love to read your take on it. :yes: (Also that TNA/S&S crossover of yours you started. :whistle: )
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 18 Jun 2010, 11:16

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Khell wrote:Ah, just wait till I got my story ready where I get them out of the cafe. *lol*

Oh, yes, I'd love to read how you get them out. PJ Hammond has already said he had it worked out--another element would let them out, and yes, I think it would have been Silver--but I'd love to read your take on it. :yes: (Also that TNA/S&S crossover of yours you started. :whistle: )

Aaaah, that one. Yeah, I think I'll be going back to that one. So far, it's a larger part at the beginning and then - bits and pieces. *lol* But I gotta kinda finish my original fic first, that I'm working on right now. My NaNo-story from last year. Cos the free proof copy code for createspace.com is only valid till July 2nd and I want that free proof copy ... After that, though, it's only two more weeks to my vacation and then ... who knows ... ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jun 2010, 17:49

Khell wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Aaaah, that one. Yeah, I think I'll be going back to that one. So far, it's a larger part at the beginning and then - bits and pieces. *lol* But I gotta kinda finish my original fic first, that I'm working on right now. My NaNo-story from last year. Cos the free proof copy code for createspace.com is only valid till July 2nd and I want that free proof copy ... After that, though, it's only two more weeks to my vacation and then ... who knows ... ;)

Oh, goodie--glad you haven't forgotten about it. :grin: I get the drift--original fic first, but there's hope for Gambit and Sapphire and Steed. ^^ Hope you get the free draft. :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Aug 2010, 12:54

Just watched the episode last night and I agree on all points with Timeless. I don't understand why S&S had to end up in space all alone. That ending really sucks, sorry to be so direct. And I don't get it why Silver wasn't with them, for me it looks like he's a collaborator or so... anyway, the end was really sad and I felt bad for them both, I mean, come on, they did nothing wrong, so why punish them. Naw, lets say this episode isn't my favourite one!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Aug 2010, 14:27

That sounds really good! :grin: *does happy dance*

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Marina_Wilkie

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: Sapphire & Steel

Post 21 Jan 2013, 20:57

This episode is the worst out of all of them!! I hate cliffhangers, don't judge me i just do haha! But this one was even worse because it didn't really make sense, where did Sler go? And all the other thingys just disaapeared as well! It just seemed as if they didn't really know how to finish it all off so they just left Sapphire and Steel stranded in a cafe?, and it also makes you feel kinda bad for them because they don't exactly do anything wrong!! Sorry but this assignment just annoys me, silver is there as well and lets just say he isn't my favourite character!
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Feb 2013, 16:07

I can understand your frustration, because it really was a horrible ending. I dislike open endings, and this was one of the worst kinds I've ever seen. It's just very frustrating, isn't it?

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Feb 2013, 16:20

Philippa wrote:I can understand your frustration, because it really was a horrible ending. I dislike open endings, and this was one of the worst kinds I've ever seen. It's just very frustrating, isn't it?

It's doubly frustrating because it was never meant to end that way--if it hadn't been for all that behind-the-scenes trouble with the network and such, we would have had a proper resolution. Even Joanna's still frustrated by it.

This reminds me that I still need to post that S&S fanfic I wrote awhile back. Memo to self...
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 07 Feb 2013, 23:28

Does the radio series (released on CD) take up where the TV series left off? I believe Mark Gatis is in some of these episodes as a character called Lead.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Feb 2013, 18:29

Avengerdan wrote:Does the radio series (released on CD) take up where the TV series left off? I believe Mark Gatis is in some of these episodes as a character called Lead.

I think I remember either being told, or reading somewhere, that they do pick up after the end of the series, but they leave it a mystery as to how S&S actually make it out of the cafe. Apparently they're supposed to be really good. I had no idea about Mark Gatiss, but I do know that the fellow who played Silver reprised his role.
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Feb 2013, 20:43

Oh yes I forgot about the audio series. Interesting :yes:

Return to Sapphire & Steel