Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

"Purdey. Just Purdey ... "

<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Sep 2009, 23:03

"Purdey. Just Purdey ... "

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:I believe it's Bryde, but I don't remember if I know that from one of the episodes, or if I got that info from some fanfic.
But she doesn't wanna use her last name. She introduces herself as Purdey, just Purdey :lol:

We never do get told Purdey's last name, or even whether or not "Purdey" is her first or last name (although I tend to think first because her uncle, mother, and Larry all call her "Purdey" and I sort of doubt they'd be using her last name). I'm afraid you got "Bryde" from my fics, Philippa. I'm corrupting your mind. :lol: I called her that because I needed a last name, and since Joanna is 3/4's Scottish, I thought I'd give Purdey a good Scots name, albeit one in keeping with the Avengers trend of giving its characters names that a) you can look up in the dictionary, and b) reflect the character in some way (Purdey being the bride who never was after breaking her engagement to Larry).

'Purdey' could also just be a nickname. A throwback from the one-named celebrities from the 60's (Twiggy, Cher, Lulu). Purdey could have been a celebrity herself, if her career as a ballerina have taken off.

I have to say, after 30-odd years of knowing her as just 'Purdey', adding another name - no matter what it is - looks really strange. As odd as Twiggy calling herself 'Twiggy Lawson' today.

Worse - I read Lulu is using some crazy double-barrelled name of late (I forget what) at aged 60 and after 45 years as a recrding artist. Madness or pretentious? Or an equal measure of both?? :confused:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 00:06

Re: "Purdey. Just Purdey ... "

Avengerdan wrote:'Purdey' could also just be a nickname. A throwback from the one-named celebrities from the 60's (Twiggy, Cher, Lulu). Purdey could have been a celebrity herself, if her career as a ballerina have taken off.

I have to say, after 30-odd years of knowing her as just 'Purdey', adding another name - no matter what it is - looks really strange. As odd as Twiggy calling herself 'Twiggy Lawson' today.

Worse - I read Lulu is using some crazy double-barrelled name of late (I forget what) at aged 60 and after 45 years as a recrding artist. Madness or pretentious? Or an equal measure of both?? :confused:

Yes, "Purdey" could definitely be a nickname, although I never think that jibes with the idea that "official" Ministry files would use print as her alias. Some of the annuals make out that it's her surname, but that never makes sense to me, for the reasons I stated above. I personally think it's her first name--"just Purdey" the way it's just, as you say, Madonna, or Cher. It is strange to think of her with any sort of surname, but I needed one for fiction purposes.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 18 Sep 2009, 06:36

Oh, I'm sure she has a surname, but I guess it was just a little bit ofa joke, and it kinda works for the show, I think.

''Just Purdey'' was also quite a nice change after all the ''Mrs. Peel'' that was going on in the earlier series. Now, can you imagine Gambit calling her ''Mrs. Bryde''? :lol: (although I still think they definitely could have used that name, so well done Timeless!)
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 18 Sep 2009, 09:27

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Avengerdan wrote:'Purdey' could also just be a nickname. A throwback from the one-named celebrities from the 60's (Twiggy, Cher, Lulu). Purdey could have been a celebrity herself, if her career as a ballerina have taken off.

Yes, "Purdey" could definitely be a nickname, although I never think that jibes with the idea that "official" Ministry files would use print as her alias. Some of the annuals make out that it's her surname, but that never makes sense to me, for the reasons I stated above. I personally think it's her first name--"just Purdey" the way it's just, as you say, Madonna, or Cher. It is strange to think of her with any sort of surname, but I needed one for fiction purposes.

Purdey is a good name though. Although I remember it took my 16 year old mind a while to get used to it! :unsure: It actually has precedents in first and last names. Sue Purdie was an old friend of Joanna's who she secretly named her character after. As you know, officially it was the gun makers (and that's how the 16 year old me was won over by the name). As a first name it can be short for Perdita (or in this case Purdita I would suppose).

I agree that it's unlikely an official department of the Crown would tolerate a nickname but The Avengers did have a history of code-names it used (Tulip was one. And there was another (I've forgotten the name of) in the Tara King episode, Pandora, which I've recently watched the beginning of). So from nickname to codename is a possibility (at a stretch :wink: )
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 17:48

Maartje wrote:Oh, I'm sure she has a surname, but I guess it was just a little bit ofa joke, and it kinda works for the show, I think.

''Just Purdey'' was also quite a nice change after all the ''Mrs. Peel'' that was going on in the earlier series. Now, can you imagine Gambit calling her ''Mrs. Bryde''? :lol: (although I still think they definitely could have used that name, so well done Timeless!)

Purdey also made for a change because she wasn't a widow! (Linda Thorson finally put her foot down on that one, and Purdey followed suit). They gave her an ex-fiance instead--much racier! So she would have been "Miss Bryde" (as she will be in one of my future fics. You'll hear Gambit call her it more than once, but man, it's weird for me to even write it. Glad it works on one level, though. So stay tuned for that). The one-name moniker also suits the eccentricity of the character. Purdey's the maddest Avengers girl. Cathy's no-nonsense, Tara's the sweet one, Emma's the brainy sophisticate. That leaves Purdey as the marshmallow-addicted, movie-loving, "I'm not a frog" spouting eccentric. In a lot of ways she's actually madder than Steed, which is saying something! :hypnose:

Avengerdan wrote:Purdey is a good name though. Although I remember it took my 16 year old mind a while to get used to it! :unsure: It actually has precedents in first and last names. Sue Purdie was an old friend of Joanna's who she secretly named her character after. As you know, officially it was the gun makers (and that's how the 16 year old me was won over by the name). As a first name it can be short for Perdita (or in this case Purdita I would suppose).

I agree that it's unlikely an official department of the Crown would tolerate a nickname but The Avengers did have a history of code-names it used (Tulip was one. And there was another (I've forgotten the name of) in the Tara King episode, Pandora, which I've recently watched the beginning of). So from nickname to codename is a possibility (at a stretch :wink: )

Sue Purdie was a model from Joanna's catwalk days. She also got it from Ron Purdie, who worked on the series, the aforementioned shotgun, and also the "purty/purdy" American slang for pretty (plus it sounded cat like with the "purrr"). So lots of reasons for it. In Canada it's better known as a chocolate company--Purdy's--but when I was a kid I knew Perdie from 101 Dalmatians.

There are lots of codenames scattered throughout the series--from Tara's Agent 69, to Steed' "New D"--and all the flower men in Who's Who? But Purdey is a straight-forward agent, not undercover, and not in a special position at the head of a department. She has no reason to have a codenam--why her and not Gambit? I've come up with my own reasons for why she goes by one name, but there are lots of ways you could work it. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Sep 2009, 19:12

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Sue Purdie was a model from Joanna's catwalk days. She also got it from Ron Purdie, who worked on the series, the aforementioned shotgun, and also the "purty/purdy" American slang for pretty (plus it sounded cat like with the "purrr"). So lots of reasons for it.

So, I did get that right then. I came across the word ''purdy'' an awful lot of times when reading American websites, but I could never been bothered to look it up. I know a bit of English slang, but I'm affraid I'm rather lazy when it comes to the American language...

I do like the name ''Purdey'' for an Avenger girl - it is, indeed, way more eccentric than the other names used in the show, which suits her character. After all, ''Cathy'' and ''Emma'' are really rather common names, even over here! It sounds femine, yet strong, and I think that's exactly what Joanna aimed for.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 19:32

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Sue Purdie was a model from Joanna's catwalk days. She also got it from Ron Purdie, who worked on the series, the aforementioned shotgun, and also the "purty/purdy" American slang for pretty (plus it sounded cat like with the "purrr"). So lots of reasons for it.

So, I did get that right then. I came across the word ''purdy'' an awful lot of times when reading American websites, but I could never been bothered to look it up. I know a bit of English slang, but I'm affraid I'm rather lazy when it comes to the American language...

I do like the name ''Purdey'' for an Avenger girl - it is, indeed, way more eccentric than the other names used in the show, which suits her character. After all, ''Cathy'' and ''Emma'' are really rather common names, even over here! It sounds femine, yet strong, and I think that's exactly what Joanna aimed for.

Yep, "purdy" is American slang for "pretty." We're getting some education in there, too. :lol:

Joanna said all in all Purdey seemed like "a good tough name," and I think it was well-chosen. I like the shotgun reference the best. What else to call an Avenger girl but after a very expensive, well-made gun? Emma, of course, had her first name pre-determined because of the "Man-Appeal/M-Appeal" play on words. Linda chose "Tara" herself, which is more unusual. Otherwise the trend seemed to be to pick a surname that reflected the character--like "Gale" or 'Gambit"--and to throw in a very traditional first name in. Catherine, Michael, John, and David are all pretty conventional.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 18 Sep 2009, 22:47

I agree that all the Avenger girls names were well chosen and memorable, and I liked the linking of a traditional every day name with a zestful one. Usualy the trad name was the first one, but I think Tara is more stirring than King.

I much prefer 'Purdey' to 'Charly', the first choice. I've seen lots of mis-spellings of 'Purdey' so imagine the interpretations of the idiosyncratically spelt 'Charly'! It's worth noting that 'Emma Peel' was going to be Samantha or Mantha, another potentially just-one-name character.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Sep 2009, 00:03

Avengerdan wrote:I agree that all the Avenger girls names were well chosen and memorable, and I liked the linking of a traditional every day name with a zestful one. Usualy the trad name was the first one, but I think Tara is more stirring than King.

I much prefer 'Purdey' to 'Charly', the first choice. I've seen lots of mis-spellings of 'Purdey' so imagine the interpretations of the idiosyncratically spelt 'Charly'! It's worth noting that 'Emma Peel' was going to be Samantha or Mantha, another potentially just-one-name character.

I liked the traditional/unusual thing, too, although it does seem to have been reversed in Tara's case (rather fitting since she was the first of the girls to be called by her first name on a more regular basis by other characters, including Steed).

I've seen "Charly" done several ways as well, so either way the character was going to suffer from as many creative variants as I have over the years (don't ask). Emma was indeed going to be "Samantha/Mantha." Mathan. Ugh. I'm glad Marie Donaldson had a brainstorm. :yuk: Don't know if she was going to only have one name, though, or if they just hadn't gotten as far as choosing a surname.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Sep 2009, 10:44

In the end, I think, they did very well. The first and surnames of the characters sound pretty good, and they're either not too common but not too eccentric either. I guess Purdey is the big exception, but then again, I don't think she's the typical Avengers girl.

The ''Emma Peel'' being a play on words is fantastic. I think ''Samantha'' would have been too long, because there's another thing: all the first name's are pretty short. Cathy, Tara, Purdey: syllables. The names of the guys are even more straight forward: John and Mike. Can you imagine the hilarity of a long name in the heat of a fight? Think - for instance - Jane Austen here, with her preference for names like ''Willoughby'' and ''Dashwood'', haha. Definitely a no. :lol:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 19 Sep 2009, 13:07

Can you believe Brian Clemens was going to replace Purdey with a new girl called Carruthers. Now there's a mouthful. :shock:

Of all The Avengers Brian Clemens only ever named Mike Gambit (a surname that I don't think actually exists), I think he did well there but Carruthers? Suzi Stride? Christopher Cambridge? (proposed Avengers c. 1985) :sleepy:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Sep 2009, 13:28

Please tell me that was meant to be a last name :lol:

All in all I think the Avenger girls have been named really well. Both Cathy Gale and Emma Peel just sound really classy, with the nice touch that Emma Peel stands for man appeal. Tara King is a bit more "out there" but still not a very unusual name and it fits well with the show. And so does Purdey; I'm really glad they went with that instead of Charly (cringes at miss-spelling), I don't think it would've fitted very well.
Personally I don't think Purdey is a nickname, nor a last name. I find it hard to imagine Purdey with a last name at all, I love the fact that she's "just Purdey", it suits her :happy:

And were they seriously considering to name Emma Peel Samantha? That would've been horribly wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with the name, but it is indeed quite a mouthful (I loved your comparison to Jane Austen names Maartje :lol:) and it really doesn't fit into the show in my opinion.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 19 Sep 2009, 13:46

I agree. 'Purdey' is certainly not a surname. Her mum would never called her by her last name (as Timeless has said). As I say, a nickname/stagename/codename is a stretch. I would go with Purdey as a first name (and not necessarily a shortened form of Purdita). It's good we don't know, and can speculate.

I think we all agree Samantha is not an Avengers name (Mantha is worse!). The only 60s icon called Samantha should be Samantha Stevens from Bewitched!

I'd feel a sense of betrayal if Gambit was teamed up with anyone else but Purdey, so I'm glad 'Carruthers' came to nought. :huh:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Sep 2009, 16:48

Maartje wrote:The ''Emma Peel'' being a play on words is fantastic. I think ''Samantha'' would have been too long, because there's another thing: all the first name's are pretty short. Cathy, Tara, Purdey: syllables. The names of the guys are even more straight forward: John and Mike. Can you imagine the hilarity of a long name in the heat of a fight? Think - for instance - Jane Austen here, with her preference for names like ''Willoughby'' and ''Dashwood'', haha. Definitely a no. :lol:

I think they were going for masculine, so how can you get any more masculine than a name with "man" right there in it? (Particularly if you called her "Mantha.") Again, thank goodness for Marie Donaldson. :grin:

It is usually a one-syllable last name with a relatively short first name. They are quite neat and clipped. Again, where possible they seemed to have gone for tradition when naming characters, particularly the men--I don't know if you can get much more common than John, David, or Michael. Maybe if they threw a Matthew in there. Of course, Steed and Gambit were each once referred to as "Jonathan" (in The Quick-Quick-Slow Death) and "Michael" (in House of Cards), and in both cases it jars a little. Steed's name is quite clearly John, so I've no idea why they decided to change it on that occasion. Gambit's introduced as "Michael" early in the series, so they may have originally intended to refer to him as that more often, and then dropped it (several of the novels have Purdey calling him "Michael," and they were often based on early script drafts). Of course, if the stage play is to be believed, Steed does have a very Austen-esque name--John Wickham Gascoine Berresford Steed.Say that three times fast. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Sep 2009, 16:58

Avengerdan wrote:Can you believe Brian Clemens was going to replace Purdey with a new girl called Carruthers. Now there's a mouthful. :shock:

Of all The Avengers Brian Clemens only ever named Mike Gambit (a surname that I don't think actually exists), I think he did well there but Carruthers? Suzi Stride? Christopher Cambridge? (proposed Avengers c. 1985) :sleepy:

Avengerdan wrote:I agree. 'Purdey' is certainly not a surname. Her mum would never called her by her last name (as Timeless has said). As I say, a nickname/stagename/codename is a stretch. I would go with Purdey as a first name (and not necessarily a shortened form of Purdita). It's good we don't know, and can speculate.

I think we all agree Samantha is not an Avengers name (Mantha is worse!). The only 60s icon called Samantha should be Samantha Stevens from Bewitched!

I'd feel a sense of betrayal if Gambit was teamed up with anyone else but Purdey, so I'm glad 'Carruthers' came to nought. :huh:

Clemens had a real thing about the name "Carruthers," as well as "Turner" and "McKay." Someone needed to buy him a name book for Christmas. All those character monikers he dreamt up were cringeworthy--I remember reading the script excerpts and shaking my head. It never occurred to me that he only ever named Gambit, but he did, and I agree he did a good job there. Gambit isn't a surname, though, as near as I can tell, but I did go to school with a guy named "Gamble" once upon a time, so it's not totally outside the realm of possibility. Khell, I remember, wrote one explanation into a fic, that Gambit's great great grandfather was an Italian named Alfredo Gambetti, who Anglicised his name to fit in when he moved to Britain. Anything's possible. :lol:

I felt really annoyed about the idea of pairing of Gambit with Carruthers, too. I don't think TNA would have been able to survive cast changes as well as its predecessor. The characters are a little too tightly entwined because they're "thicker cardboard," and what with Purdey and Gambit meant to carry on after Steed, it doesn't make much sense for Purdey wander off. I don't know if Joanna was busy or didn't want to do it or what. She and Gareth had five-year contracts, though, so TNA would have been good for three more seasons with Purdey and Gambit, at which point pulling the plug would have been the best.

Still think Purdey's her first name. (Now I keep thinking about Bewitched, pretty much the only show I quit watching in disgust because I couldn't take her trying to placate Darren anymore. It was hard to swallow after I'd seen Emma. :yuk: )
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 19 Sep 2009, 17:39

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Clemens had a real thing about the name "Carruthers," as well as "Turner" and "McKay." Someone needed to buy him a name book for Christmas. All those character monikers he dreamt up were cringeworthy--I remember reading the script excerpts and shaking my head.

Clemens also had a thing about the name 'Suzy'/'Suzie'. It crops up a lot. Off the top of my head there was a New Avengers girlfriend-of-the-week of Steed's in Hostage, Suzy from House Of Cards (played by Annette Andre), Suzy from Escapade/Avengers: USA (played by Morgan Fairchild), Suzy Stryde from the proposed Avengers International, a character from his Thriller series, Suzy Bassett from his sitcom My Wife Next Door (played by Hannah Gordon) and so on ...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Sep 2009, 17:53

Avengerdan wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Clemens had a real thing about the name "Carruthers," as well as "Turner" and "McKay." Someone needed to buy him a name book for Christmas. All those character monikers he dreamt up were cringeworthy--I remember reading the script excerpts and shaking my head.

Clemens also had a thing about the name 'Suzy'/'Suzie'. It crops up a lot. Off the top of my head there was a New Avengers girlfriend-of-the-week of Steed's in Hostage, Suzy from House Of Cards (played by Annette Andre), Suzy from Escapade/Avengers: USA (played by Morgan Fairchild), Suzy Stryde from the proposed Avengers International, a character from his Thriller series, Suzy Bassett from his sitcom My Wife Next Door (played by Hannah Gordon) and so on ...

Not to mention "George Cowley" popping up in both TNA and The Professionals. Was he the one who wrote both the Boris Kartovski episodes, too? I know that name popped up twice in the series as well. I think I would've started going around asking for names eventually--clearly his bank of them was understocked.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 19 Sep 2009, 19:59

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Not to mention "George Cowley" popping up in both TNA and The Professionals. Was he the one who wrote both the Boris Kartovski episodes, too? I know that name popped up twice in the series as well.

Yes! The Emma Peel ep A Touch Of Brimstone and Tara's Split! were both the work of Mr. B. Clemens!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Sep 2009, 22:52

Philippa wrote:(I loved your comparison to Jane Austen names Maartje )

Thank you. *bows* But really - can you imagine Steed constantly calling Emma ''Mrs. Dashwood'', like the girls in Sense and Sensibility? :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Clemens had a real thing about the name "Carruthers," as well as "Turner" and "McKay." Someone needed to buy him a name book for Christmas.

Carruthers, are you kidding? Was he mad? :whistle: The names suit perfectly, that's for sure. I only wish if they'd decided to for Mara instead of Tara - that would have been really cool. :lolol:

But seriously - I love being surrounded by such devoted Avengers fans. You keep suprising me with your knowledge of the show, amazing!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Sep 2009, 00:18

Avengerdan wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Not to mention "George Cowley" popping up in both TNA and The Professionals. Was he the one who wrote both the Boris Kartovski episodes, too? I know that name popped up twice in the series as well.

Yes! The Emma Peel ep A Touch Of Brimstone and Tara's Split! were both the work of Mr. B. Clemens!

I thought as much. And he thought we wouldn't notice. :wink:

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Clemens had a real thing about the name "Carruthers," as well as "Turner" and "McKay." Someone needed to buy him a name book for Christmas.

Carruthers, are you kidding? Was he mad? :whistle: The names suit perfectly, that's for sure. I only wish if they'd decided to for Mara instead of Tara - that would have been really cool. :lolol:

But seriously - I love being surrounded by such devoted Avengers fans. You keep suprising me with your knowledge of the show, amazing!

Yes, Carruthers. Horrible, isn't it? :yuk: You have Linda to blame for Tara, though--she named her after Scarlett O'Hara's house in "Gone With the Wind." (Yes, we're old fans. This past August marked 11 years in love with this show. And my relatives thought it was a phase. :lmao: )
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 20 Sep 2009, 08:53

It's interesting that Linda Thorson named her character after the place in Gone With The Wind as I've often thought she resembles Vivien Leigh (and also a touch of Lynda Carter, but I can't see LT wanting to call her Avengers character 'Themyscira* King'!
:lmao: )

*Themyscira is aka Paradise Island where Wonder Woman grew up
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Sep 2009, 16:44

Avengerdan wrote:It's interesting that Linda Thorson named her character after the place in Gone With The Wind as I've often thought she resembles Vivien Leigh (and also a touch of Lynda Carter, but I can't see LT wanting to call her Avengers character 'Themyscira* King'!
:lmao: )

*Themyscira is aka Paradise Island where Wonder Woman grew up

That really would be a mouthful. Maybe she was Tara's second cousin twice-removed. :wink:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 01 Nov 2013, 04:15

Purdey-a good tough name and the sleek bob certainly adds to the image(season 1 bob) !

Return to The New Avengers