Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

US remake

<<

Geesus

Donkey

Post 30 Apr 2009, 12:33

Re: US remake

I AM SHOCKED.

That's all I have to say, I agree with all of you. WHY????

I hope it flops so bad...... :angry: :angry: :angry:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Apr 2009, 12:38

I hope so too. And I'm sure it will flop!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:01

From Wikipedia:

American premium cable network HBO has announced an upcoming adaptation of the show starring and Kim Cattrall of Sex and the City fame. The US version will be written by Emmy-winning “The Sopranos” writers Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green and will take place in New York City. “Sensitive Skin” falls under a development deal Cattrall inked with HBO when she signed on for the “Sex and the City” feature. Cattrall, Burgess, Green and Blick are exec producing with Henry Normal, whose Baby Cow Prods. was behind the British series.

I'm not happy.
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:04

Is this recent?
I had started to think that nothing would ever come of this, since we haven't heard anything about it for so long.
And I'm very surprised that they've announced a different writer. In all previous news items about the remake, it was said that Hugo Blick himself would be a part of all this, but apparently he's not (anymore). And with that, my last bit of hope that this could become anything half decent, has gone, too.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:08

Philippa wrote:Is this recent?

I wanted to look up something about the series so I checked Wikipedia, and I spotted this. It's so detailed, it's hard to believe it's not true. Kim Catrall is a good actrice, but let's face is: American acting is nothing compared to what the Brits can do. Anyway, don't give up all hope: after all, the filming of the American remake of AbFab had also already started, and it never made it to the telly. (thank god)
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Oct 2009, 17:17

Without Joanna's acting, and Hugo Blick's writing, producing and directing, I am predicting an epic fail :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2013, 06:57

Look what I've just found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SensitiveSkinTV

Seems like this remake is finally happening. There's even an IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2490030/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Oct 2013, 13:55

Mara wrote:Look what I've just found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SensitiveSkinTV

Seems like this remake is finally happening. There's even an IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2490030/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Well, I still question the wisdom of remakes in general, but at least they have the brilliant Bob Martin onboard. He's a Canadian playwright and TV writer who wrote the critically acclaimed The Drowsy Chaperone and Slings and Arrows. If anyone will do a decent job of it, he will.
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 02 Oct 2013, 15:34

I'm glad that they're bringing this show back, but gah, Kim will NEVER be THE Davina: there's only one... I'm sorry D: x
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2013, 20:53

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:I'm glad that they're bringing this show back, but gah, Kim will NEVER be THE Davina: there's only one...

Sounds like they've found a decent playwright but I do agree with this. I still have this theory that the Davina was written for Jo and no one will convince me otherwise :lol: I'll keep an eye on that Twitter page though!
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 02 Oct 2013, 21:55

Mara wrote:Sounds like they've found a decent playwright but I do agree with this. I still have this theory that the Davina was written for Jo and no one will convince me otherwise :lol: I'll keep an eye on that Twitter page though!

I'm glad that they've (hopefully) used a decent playwright: but one will have to watch it on the grounds of pure intrigue haha! There'll only ever be on "Miss Jackson" though... :whistle: xx
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Oct 2013, 00:16

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:
Mara wrote:Sounds like they've found a decent playwright but I do agree with this. I still have this theory that the Davina was written for Jo and no one will convince me otherwise :lol: I'll keep an eye on that Twitter page though!

I'm glad that they've (hopefully) used a decent playwright: but one will have to watch it on the grounds of pure intrigue haha! There'll only ever be on "Miss Jackson" though... :whistle: xx

I still think it would be better to just leave it alone as well, but if they're going to do it, I'd rather they put decent people on it. And Bob Martin will work hard to keep them from mucking it up. :yes:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 03 Oct 2013, 16:38

If they do muck up, they'll have us to answer to *aggressive face* ;D
But, personally... Series 3 with JOANNA would be preferable xD
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Oct 2013, 17:49

I never thought they'd actually go through with this, because the rumour of a remake is about 4 years old now. But I guess if anyone can pull it off it's Kim Cattrall, even though she'll never be as good as Jo. I'm against remakes in general because I just really don't see the point of them, especially when both are in English, but we'll see how it goes. I would definitely want to watch it, if only to compare the two :yes:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Oct 2013, 10:14

Philippa wrote:But I guess if anyone can pull it off it's Kim Cattrall, even though she'll never be as good as Jo. I'm against remakes in general because I just really don't see the point of them, especially when both are in English, but we'll see how it goes.

Seems like they're finally up and running - lots of pictures on the Twitter account: https://twitter.com/SensitiveSkinTV/sta ... 56/photo/1

She'll never be more suitable for that part than Jo was (I still have this theory Davina's based on her) but Kim does look lovely.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Nov 2013, 00:54

<<

Philippa

Post 11 Nov 2013, 10:23

This is exactly why I find remakes in general so strange. It's like "hey, I remember this scene!", only suddenly there's someone else playing the role and it's kind of uncanny. I just hope they'll be able to capture the very unique atmosphere of the series, because without that it's probably not going to work.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Nov 2013, 19:04

Philippa wrote:This is exactly why I find remakes in general so strange. It's like "hey, I remember this scene!", only suddenly there's someone else playing the role and it's kind of uncanny.

Oh yes, the Americans and their remakes... :roll:

I'm just going to post just one more tweet: https://twitter.com/SensitiveSkinTV/sta ... 4991052800

That scene had me in tears when Joanna played it.
Previous

Return to Sensitive Skin