Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

AbFab the movie?

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Dec 2013, 19:32

Re: AbFab the movie?

Jennifer was on Simon Mayo's radio show promoting her memoir today. Simon asked her what she had planned for next year, and her answer was another series of PG Wodehouse's Blandings, and writing an AbFab movie. She said the rest of the cast has convinced her to do it while they're all still alive. :lol: Thought I'd pass that along as the last we heard it wasn't going to happen. You can hear the interview here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03jtgd3
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Dec 2013, 21:03

Ooh thanks for the heads up! I guess if she wants to do an AbFab film it's now or never probably :lol: I gotta say I've mixed feelings about it though. I mean I love AbFab, and I will always want more, but turning highly succesful series into films doesn't always work.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Dec 2013, 14:43

Philippa wrote:Ooh thanks for the heads up! I guess if she wants to do an AbFab film it's now or never probably :lol: I gotta say I've mixed feelings about it though. I mean I love AbFab, and I will always want more, but turning highly succesful series into films doesn't always work.

As Jennifer said, the cast wants to do it "while they're still on their own legs," or something like that, so yes, she figures she ought to do it soon. :lol: But I definitely understand your reservations. It's very difficult to take a hit show and apply that same formula to a movie, as a lot of the same rules don't apply, and it can end up a real mess. Fingers crossed Jennifer manages to pull it off, though. :yes:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Dec 2013, 12:50

Philippa wrote:I gotta say I've mixed feelings about it though. I mean I love AbFab, and I will always want more, but turning highly successful series into films doesn't always work.

I feel the same. A 1,5 movie is something different than a thirty minute episode, it's not just a matter of cracking jokes, it needs more of a storyline. I hope Jennifer knows where she wants to go with this.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Dec 2013, 14:55

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:I gotta say I've mixed feelings about it though. I mean I love AbFab, and I will always want more, but turning highly successful series into films doesn't always work.

I feel the same. A 1,5 movie is something different than a thirty minute episode, it's not just a matter of cracking jokes, it needs more of a storyline. I hope Jennifer knows where she wants to go with this.

Yeah, it's particularly tough given that the episodes are so short--it's not even an hour-long series, which would bring it a little closer to the running time. Maybe she has some ideas now, though, and that's why she's willing to write it?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Dec 2013, 20:26

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Maybe she has some ideas now, though, and that's why she's willing to write it?

Well, one thing's for sure - the word's gotten out and the pressure is on. People are now expecting a movie, so she'll have to start writing at some point. Poor Jen :lol:

What’s your biggest wish for 2014?
Inspiration to write the Ab Fab movie. I just need that extra spark. Joanna (Lumley) said I need to be pushed into a panic situation – which is true.

From this interview. Nice job, Joanna :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Dec 2013, 20:57

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Maybe she has some ideas now, though, and that's why she's willing to write it?

Well, one thing's for sure - the word's gotten out and the pressure is on. People are now expecting a movie, so she'll have to start writing at some point. Poor Jen :lol:

What’s your biggest wish for 2014?
Inspiration to write the Ab Fab movie. I just need that extra spark. Joanna (Lumley) said I need to be pushed into a panic situation – which is true.

From this interview. Nice job, Joanna :whistle:

That's probably part of it--she's talking about it so she can't back out of it now. :lol: Although I suppose she could always change her name and flee to Tahiti if inspiration doesn't strike. :lmao:
Previous

Return to Absolutely Fabulous