Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Purdey & Steed

<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 07 Jun 2009, 16:12

Purdey & Steed

So what does everyone think the relationship between Purdey and Steed is ? Ovbiously there collegues and friends but could there be more to it?

Does purdey like Steed or is it just admiration..
I always thought it was admiration then i watched Dead Men Are Dangerous and this scence in the car:

P: If we were in a diffrerent car id put my head on your shoulder would you mind ?
S: If i were to say yes you could shoot me or cerdify me
P: Shouldnt dream of doing either, very comfatable shoulder
S: Seen alot of service
P: That means its a very experienced shoulder. You know the chinese dont think in terms of age only experience
S: But im not chinese
P: Which could be your only fault

Steed doesnt really go into it further but in other episode he seems to apperciate Purdey more than usual. Does Steed like purdey.

What do you guys think ?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 07 Jun 2009, 17:34

Re: Purdey & Steed

I'm quite bored by the Purdey/Steed relationship, to be honest. It seems too much like a retread of the Steed/Tara relationship, with Purdey all admiring of Steed all the time. And it inevitably means that Gambit gets the short end of the stick because it doesn't matter how much he gets clobbered saving everyone's skin, it's Steed who gets the accolades. Plus, the writers went for more Purdey/Steed in season 2, and that really hit the humour factor for the episodes. There just isn't much of a spark between Patrick and Joanna, the way there was between Patrick and Diana, or Honor, or even with Gareth, and between Gareth and Joanna. It actually gets a bit annoying after awhile. :mad:

Does Purdey admire Steed? Definitely. Does Steed admire Purdey? I'd say almost certainly. Does Purdey have feelings for Steed? Well, yeah, I think so, but in a sort of "Oh, wow, it's John Steed," goggle-eyed hero-worship sort of way. Some people are quite convinced Purdey starts sleeping with Steed during season 2 (she's hanging around his flat in Medium Rare, tells him "something" in Angels of Death, and there's the Dead Men sequence you mention). It's all up to interpretation, but I think if Purdey did have a thing with Steed it's the sort of thing that would happen and then pass, leaving them just good friends. Does Steed have feelings for Purdey? Well, Steed likes women, and he likes Purdey, but there's something about his reaction in Dead Men that always makes me think he's not really interested in taking things further with her. Steed's been around the block. He's seen off three other women, one of which, Emma, was really the closest he ever got to finding someone he clicked with. I think he's tired of playing the game with his partners and just wants a friend to be honest. And I think Purdey, because of her failed relationship with Larry, flirts with him somewhat because she knows Steed is safe ground--nothing'll happen because Steed seems reluctant, whereas Gambit's more "let's go!" and she's afraid to take the leap. Plus, Purdey's reaction to Steed's "death" is to say he was a good man, partner, and friend, whereas her reaction to Gambit's seeming demise is to bawl uncontrollably, and then run around screaming about how he's dead and how he was 1000x better than "Terry Walton," then push him into a door in a "don't ever do that to me again" way when she finds out he's alive. That says it all for me.

So I'm not a fan of Steed/Purdey really. Steed's interactions with Gambit are much more interesting.
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 07 Jun 2009, 18:40

Some people thought Purdey and Steed were sleeping together in the 2nd series :lol: No way!
Id love to know what Purdey told Steed in Angels of death but we will never know :sad:

Yeah i always thought it was admiration after all he is John Steed, but i totally understand what you mean by the whole Gambit saving everyone yet never gettin the credit he deserved poor Gambit (N) its almost like Purdey uses Steed to get to Gambit. The best example i can think of would be hostage, Gambit saves the day fights off just about everyone yet Steed gets the hug and her attention.

Purdey likes Gambit she just wont admit it to herself or do anything about it :lol: :P
Steed like you said is the person she looks up to, admires and i dont think they would of ever had a relationship (:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Jun 2009, 19:06

M-J;;W wrote:Some people thought Purdey and Steed were sleeping together in the 2nd series :lol: No way!
Id love to know what Purdey told Steed in Angels of death but we will never know :sad:

Yeah i always thought it was admiration after all he is John Steed, but i totally understand what you mean by the whole Gambit saving everyone yet never gettin the credit he deserved poor Gambit (N) its almost like Purdey uses Steed to get to Gambit. The best example i can think of would be hostage, Gambit saves the day fights off just about everyone yet Steed gets the hug and her attention.

Purdey likes Gambit she just wont admit it to herself or do anything about it :lol: :P
Steed like you said is the person she looks up to, admires and i dont think they would of ever had a relationship (:

Oh, yes, some people are quite convinced. But then, some are very convinced Purdey and Gambit were sleeping together, too, so everyone's got a take on it. :lol: (I'm trying to figure out Purdey and Gambit since so much of their relationship is based on "one of these days." I've got a project exploring that at the moment).

Gambit's sort of the underdog of the team, sadly, and Purdey does tend to use him, as well as a lot of the Ministry's other agents, to get a rise out of Gambit. Poor Mike keeps on coming through, though, even though it's a thankless job. Hostage is the best example, you're right, but there is that little smile Purdey gives him that sort of says she hasn't forgotten about him..

I definitely think Purdey likes Gambit, too, but is afraid of getting too serious with anyone because her last serious relationship ended so badly, and between that and the death of her father, she's been hurt too many times to make herself vulnerable again. She would feel safe with Steed, and I think that's why she's able to flirt so easily with Steed and let herself like him, but I don't think Steed ever wants to really cross the line with her, no.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 Jun 2009, 23:35

Well there's not much for me to add to this theory is there? :lol:
I'm not a fan of Steed/Purdey either. I think that Purdey/Gambit and Steed/Gambit works really well, but Steed/Purdey a lot less.
It's a shame that they went for a lot more interaction between Steed and Purdey in the 2nd series, because they show really lost something there. The humorous interaction between Gambit and Purdey is just so much more interesting to watch, and it makes for better dialogues :lol:
I think Purdey just really admires Steed, simply for him being "the great John Steed". And she just really likes him as a good colleague and loyal friend. And as with most men, Purdey likes to flirt, but it ends there. As Timeless pointed out, she doesn't go any further, because she was hurt too badly in her relationship with Larry, so basically flirting is all she does.
I can't believe that some people are convinced that Steed and Purdey had a thing going on, I really don't see it, and in my opinion it would just be utterly wrong.

Purdey and Gambit however... :lol: :whistle:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jun 2009, 05:45

Philippa wrote:Well there's not much for me to add to this theory is there? :lol:
I'm not a fan of Steed/Purdey either. I think that Purdey/Gambit and Steed/Gambit works really well, but Steed/Purdey a lot less.
It's a shame that they went for a lot more interaction between Steed and Purdey in the 2nd series, because they show really lost something there. The humorous interaction between Gambit and Purdey is just so much more interesting to watch, and it makes for better dialogues :lol:
I think Purdey just really admires Steed, simply for him being "the great John Steed". And she just really likes him as a good colleague and loyal friend. And as with most men, Purdey likes to flirt, but it ends there. As Timeless pointed out, she doesn't go any further, because she was hurt too badly in her relationship with Larry, so basically flirting is all she does.
I can't believe that some people are convinced that Steed and Purdey had a thing going on, I really don't see it, and in my opinion it would just be utterly wrong.

Purdey and Gambit however... :lol: :whistle:

It is a shame that Patrick complained and got Steed amped up, meaning less of Gambit, and thus less of the Purdey/Gambit banter that made the show so good in the first place. Gambit was really the show's core, and by cutting him out we were just left with a lot of fawning Purdey scenes that didn't do much for me at all. :yuck: Thankfully, near the end, someone seemed to realise Purdey was better if Gambit was with her, and we got episodes like Forward Base.

Purdey and Steed just seems wrong in my view, too, but I do think Purdey's sort of wrapped up in the idea of Steed. She thinks it would be all marvelous with him, but I think over time it'd wear off, and Gambit would be there. And I honestly don't think Steed's interested in taking things further with Purdey. Like I said, Steed is safe ground. Purdey can leave her inhibitions at the door and not worry about going some place she can't back out. But Gambit wants more from her than that, and she just isn't ready to give it. I think that's formed the basis of their whole relationship right there.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 12 Dec 2009, 01:02

As a 17 year old I remember being quite shocked by Purdey's closeness (in more ways than one) to Steed by the time of the crushing walls trap in Angels of Death. All through the previous season it was "will they/won't they" with Gambit and now this. So where does that leave Gambit's role. If, as I thought, the game has changed and Purdey is now a kind of ersatz Tara King surely Gambit will gentlemanly step aside. I thought it was a daft idea.

I agree with Timeless. The only way I could work it out was that Purdey was a bit confused with her emotions. She hero-worshiped Steed and he was 'safe' (compared to Gambit). She may have been testing him out too - plus the jealousy thing she had with Emma Peel comes into play - and she may have wanted a similar status in his affections to her.

I could imagine Purdey researching Steed and Emma's cases and whilst idolising Steed perhaps wanted to compete and better Emma.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Dec 2009, 03:34

Avengerdan wrote:As a 17 year old I remember being quite shocked by Purdey's closeness (in more ways than one) to Steed by the time of the crushing walls trap in Angels of Death. All through the previous season it was "will they/won't they" with Gambit and now this. So where does that leave Gambit's role. If, as I thought, the game has changed and Purdey is now a kind of ersatz Tara King surely Gambit will gentlemanly step aside. I thought it was a daft idea.

I agree with Timeless. The only way I could work it out was that Purdey was a bit confused with her emotions. She hero-worshiped Steed and he was 'safe' (compared to Gambit). She may have been testing him out too - plus the jealousy thing she had with Emma Peel comes into play - and she may have wanted a similar status in his affections to her.

I could imagine Purdey researching Steed and Emma's cases and whilst idolising Steed perhaps wanted to compete and better Emma.

I always feel that season 2 undermines a lot of the character development built up in season one. You can just feel that the overemphasis on Steed has thrown the balance off horribly. Like you said, it throws the established relationship between Purdey and Gambit off to one side and starts playing up the Purdey's Steed infatuation with little to explain the shift from A to B. Behind-the-scenes, they were clearly trying to go back to the old "Steed and the girl" formula, but the problem with that was the series was never structured to be like that, and it exposes a lot of the weaknesses inherent in the Patrick/Joanna interactions (they have their moments, but for the most part Patrick always seemed to spark better off Gareth, and just smiled fondly at Jo). It also means that the writers suddenly had no idea what to do with Gambit, so he starts phasing in and out without much regard for any of his history with Purdey, and ends up getting all the blundering klutz moments. It doesn’t do Purdey any favours, either—she comes across either as a horribly cruel tease who led Gambit on only to switch over to Steed and rub his nose in it, or a schoolgirl with a crush., neither of which is very appealing (Tara was always at her best when she got away from Steed—fawning isn’t attractive). Doesn’t do much for team spirit, either. Thankfully, towards the end, someone seemed to figure out that all the best TNA moments came from sticking Purdey and Gambit together and letting them have mad little conversations the previous Avengers never quite got to have because they were too busy getting on with the plot.

Of all the Avengers characters, Purdey’s the one most written with “issues.” She really is quite confused. I’ve already written my “Steed is safe-ground” view, so all I’ll just say that I think Purdey’s character, for the most part, indicates a genuine love for Gambit, and a more passing fancy for Steed. That said, she’s just a teeny bit possessive—she’s got a monopoly on the Ministry’s two most eligible bachelors, and she knows it. That makes the untouchable Emma Peel a bit of a threat. I’m sure she wants to best Emma on a personal level, but I’m sure Steed’s obvious affection for her (and, I tend to think, Gambit’s as well. I can see him being very interested in Emma, and letting Purdey know it, just to get her hackles up) doesn’t hurt. :wink:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 13 Dec 2009, 13:13

Yes, some of those lines Purdey says to Steed are cringeworthy. And it's a bit bad taste for a young agent (Purdey acts a lot younger than her years) to think of a 55 year old man in a romantic way.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Dec 2009, 20:09

Avengerdan wrote:Yes, some of those lines Purdey says to Steed are cringeworthy. And it's a bit bad taste for a young agent (Purdey acts a lot younger than her years) to think of a 55 year old man in a romantic way.

It doesn't do her any favours, that's for certain. I always picture Purdey younger than Joanna (about 27-28, as opposed to 30). It's not so much Steed's age that bothers me (there are some very attractive men in their fifties and sixties out there. Bill Nighy and Alana Rickman come to mind), but how they portray Purdey (and Tara) as so obviously fawning after him. Emma never did that. Cathy would definitely never do that. Purdey didn't do that until season 2 rolled around, and she apparently had some sort of personality transplant. The way she switches from Steed to Gambit is jarring and makes her out to be fickle at best, and callous at worst. But some of her dialogue makes you wonder whether she left her self-respect in her other pants. Purdey was always quite sharp-tongued and tart, and that meant whenever she showed tenderness, it meant something (tending to Gambit's hand in Cybernauts comes to mind). But throwing herself at Steed all the time is just tiresome. :doubt:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 14 Dec 2009, 12:10

I always thought Purdey acted even younger than 27 - Emma Peel's age in '65, if I've worked it out correctly.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Dec 2009, 18:19

Avengerdan wrote:I always thought Purdey acted even younger than 27 - Emma Peel's age in '65, if I've worked it out correctly.

In some ways she does. Part of it might be the way they wrote her as sort of the "junior" member of the team--getting words of wisdom from Gambit and Steed, and eager to run off and prove herself, even if that's not the best idea. On the flip side, she's very good at holding her own in an argument, and at dissuading advances. It's hard for me to compare her to Emma and say she seems younger, because Emma seemed mature beyond her years. There were 16 years between her and Steed, but it feels like nothing at all, because Emma always seems to have picked up the sort of poise and confidence that takes another couple of decades to achieve. Part of it might be Purdey's vulnerability--as a character, she's written the most as someone who's a little "broken" from her past experiences (unlike, say, Emma, who never seemed too upset about the fact that Peter Peel went AWOL), and as a result she comes across as vulnerable, and young. If Purdey acts inexperienced, it's as an agent, not as a human being.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 12 Dec 2013, 21:02

Now here's the Joanna Lumley look... perfect to partner Steed...a couple of years (I think she's 33 here) later !Image Sophistication ,poise , and that unbeatable Lumley hauteur with the aid of an expertly chosen outfit...?

Return to The New Avengers