Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Aug 2010, 16:55

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Timeless A-Peel wrote:We're bred to pretend we don't see celebrities on the street and look past them at that really interesting tree. I know I'd feel like a jerk asking Joanna to do anything more than sign something, let alone talk to her and ask for a picture. I mentioned I'm an introvert, too, right? :lol:


I think that's what the Britons do too, at least, what they try to. I remember when Stephen Fry walked in that theatre I heard the ''buzz'' everywhere, people where talking about him and looking at him... Hence why I thought I might as well walk up to them and he didn't seem to mind it at all. (as he even said ''hi there'' to me after the show)

My experience is that - as long as you approach them in a polite and kind way - most ''famous'' people really don't mind you complementing them on their work. So if you ever see Joanna walking down the streets of Canada... go for it! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Aug 2010, 17:11

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:We're bred to pretend we don't see celebrities on the street and look past them at that really interesting tree. I know I'd feel like a jerk asking Joanna to do anything more than sign something, let alone talk to her and ask for a picture. I mentioned I'm an introvert, too, right? :lol:


I think that's what the Britons do too, at least, what they try to. I remember when Stephen Fry walked in that theatre I heard the ''buzz'' everywhere, people where talking about him and looking at him... Hence why I thought I might as well walk up to them and he didn't seem to mind it at all. (as he even said ''hi there'' to me after the show)

My experience is that - as long as you approach them in a polite and kind way - most ''famous'' people really don't mind you complementing them on their work. So if you ever see Joanna walking down the streets of Canada... go for it! :lol:


Most famous people love Canada precisely because we pretend we have absolutely no idea who they are, so I may ruin it for everyone. :lmao:

But no, I think if Joanna was over here for some strange/rare reason, I'd go up to her, just because it would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even to ask what the heck she was doing here. :lol:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Aug 2010, 17:28

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Most famous people love Canada precisely because we pretend we have absolutely no idea who they are, so I may ruin it for everyone. :lmao:

But no, I think if Joanna was over here for some strange/rare reason, I'd go up to her, just because it would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even to ask what the heck she was doing here. :lol:


Haha, really? I would make such a bad Canadian then, though I would love to go there some time. I wouldn't walk up to any random celeb either, just the people I really adore like Stephen or indeed Jennifer. I don't think I would ever have forgiven myself if I had not walked up to her that day. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Aug 2010, 17:50

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Most famous people love Canada precisely because we pretend we have absolutely no idea who they are, so I may ruin it for everyone. :lmao:

But no, I think if Joanna was over here for some strange/rare reason, I'd go up to her, just because it would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even to ask what the heck she was doing here. :lol:


Haha, really? I would make such a bad Canadian then, though I would love to go there some time. I wouldn't walk up to any random celeb either, just the people I really adore like Stephen or indeed Jennifer. I don't think I would ever have forgiven myself if I had not walked up to her that day. :lol:


Yes, in Vancouver especially because they shoot so much in terms of TV and movies there. People see them and pointedly look over their heads or past them. They love it. If they want to talk to people, or engage them, then of course we're more than happy to chat and ask for autographs. But we have this sense of boundaries and that these are people who deserve to be left alone. We don't just engage strangers, either. Joanna sounds very receptive, though, so if we get the sense that they're okay with it, we're more likely to talk to them. If I felt like I wasn't bothering her, I'd be more likely to chat. :yes:

Do come to Canada some day, though. It really is a lovely country, and I've seen a good chunk of it. Ottawa has millions of tulips gifted to us by one of the Dutch princesses. That's something to see. :yes:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 Dec 2013, 02:37

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Philippa wrote:Well, I'm not going to be writing the whole story here again since Maartje's already done that, but here's my picture :grin:

Image

Great picture Philippa... sitting beside one of my favourite women !Image What triggered your interest in The Avengers...?
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 Dec 2013, 02:47

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Mara wrote:As you've probably already read, we went to the signing session. We were by far the youngest people there, but we were most welcome. The shop owner was really kind and the whole thing was pretty well organised. We were one of the first to arrive, as we wanted to buy some more stuff there. (which we did, uploads later) We had to wait for some time however, because Honor, sweet as she is, took a lot of time to talk to everyone individually. They played the Goldfinger theme and Avengers songs (the Emma peel tune though, how silly...) but no Kinky Boots unfortunately haha. (so Philippa and I just sang it)

When Honor came in, everyone was just quit and just looking at her. She's so elegant and beautiful for her age, unbelievable. I think both Philippa and I stood there staring at her with splitting smiles as she walked past us: at least she greeted us and smiled back.

When it was our turn to walk up to the table she was sitting at, she was just casually drinking from her cappuccino and the first thing she asked us if she had a coffee mustache. :lmao: She signed Philippa Avengers book first as Pussy Gallore until Phil pointed out it was really the Avengers merchanse she was signing ahaha. So she just put + Cathy Gale and apologised haha. I'd brought my Words For You CD cover which she had apparently never seen because she commented on how lovely it had turned out to be. Philippa told her we were very happy to be at the signing session because it was just luck we'd booked our stay in London that weekend and would otherwise have still been in the Netherlands. She asked what we were doing in the Netherlands (work or so) so we told her we were Dutchies, which surprised her, I guess. Philippa told her she studies English to which she replied: ''Yes well, I study Spanish too but I sound nowhere fluent''.

Then she posed for a picture and thanked us for coming. A really lovely meeting that was. :grin:

Image

Great picture Mara..'.by far the youngest there' .How did you get interested in Avengers/New Avengers ?Image
Previous

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred