Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The New Avengers Return (Film)

<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 21 Dec 2013, 16:03

The New Avengers Return (Film)

Who would be cast in the major roles ? A storyline ? etc., etc.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Dec 2013, 21:08

Re: The New Avengers Return (Film)

Recasting the Avengers--either the original series, or the new one--has always been extremely difficult, as evidenced by the movies. The thing about the series was that it always moved forward--it didn't just take the Cathy Gale character, put a new actress in, and carry on as if nothing had happened. Every era brought new characters with new actors to give them life, and as a result, most of the characters are wedded to the actors who played them to a certain extent. It wouldn't be impossible to recast, but it would be tough. I think back in the mid-nineties, Stephen Fry could have done a good Steed, but nowadays I don't know. And I couldn't even begin to think of who could replace Gareth and Joanna--Purdey and Gambit owed so much to them that to take out the actors would be to take out a lot of what made the characters tick.

If I'm honest, I'd rather they didn't do a movie or TV series if they brought the show back. I'd rather see a comic, like they did with the recent Steed and Mrs. Peel run, or a radio series, like they're doing with the Steed and Keel Big Finish releases coming next year, or even a series of new novels using the characters. That way you can avoid the recasting issue--new voices are much easier to accept in the roles than people with a whole new look. That would be the way I'd bring it back.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 23 Dec 2013, 00:02

Thanks for very interesting reply ! You've got me thinking of who might be good in the roles of Steed, Purdey and Gambit ! Certainly Steed, Purdey and Gambit are to a certain extent wedded to the people who played them. The Avengers as a series (as you said) always moves forwards -an opportunity to develop the characters even further ! I love the idea of a film and even more the idea of The New Avengers Return in a new series :yes: Like the idea of comics !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Dec 2013, 14:27

martyoreen wrote:Thanks for very interesting reply ! You've got me thinking of who might be good in the roles of Steed, Purdey and Gambit ! Certainly Steed, Purdey and Gambit are to a certain extent wedded to the people who played them. The Avengers as a series (as you said) always moves forwards -an opportunity to develop the characters even further ! I love the idea of a film and even more the idea of The New Avengers Return in a new series :yes: Like the idea of comics !

To move forward in the Avengers tradition, new characters would be the thing to do, not reinventing old ones. I don't know that I really want to see Steed, Purdey, or Gambit recast, except maybe by voice actors (I'm cringing a bit as I try to imagine who they'd shoehorn into the roles nowadays, regardless of whether or not they were suitable). I get the feeling that a new series or movie would tinker with them to the point that they'd be nothing more than people who happened to have the same names. In Avengerland, it's better to go completely new, or use a medium that lets you keep whatever era of the series very close to the way it was.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 24 Dec 2013, 04:06

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Thanks for very interesting reply ! You've got me thinking of who might be good in the roles of Steed, Purdey and Gambit ! Certainly Steed, Purdey and Gambit are to a certain extent wedded to the people who played them. The Avengers as a series (as you said) always moves forwards -an opportunity to develop the characters even further ! I love the idea of a film and even more the idea of The New Avengers Return in a new series :yes: Like the idea of comics !

To move forward in the Avengers tradition, new characters would be the thing to do, not reinventing old ones. I don't know that I really want to see Steed, Purdey, or Gambit recast, except maybe by voice actors (I'm cringing a bit as I try to imagine who they'd shoehorn into the roles nowadays, regardless of whether or not they were suitable). I get the feeling that a new series or movie would tinker with them to the point that they'd be nothing more than people who happened to have the same names. In Avengerland, it's better to go completely new, or use a medium that lets you keep whatever era of the series very close to the way it was.

New characters :yes: but with some connection to the old ...even family connections...Purdey's daughter, Gambit's son playing the new roles ...maybe :yes: ?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Dec 2013, 14:28

martyoreen wrote:New characters :yes: but with some connection to the old ...even family connections...Purdey's daughter, Gambit's son playing the new roles ...maybe :yes: ?

Purdey and Gambit's daughter, with a partner of her own, with Purdey and Gambit popping up occasionally as the Ministry heads. :wink:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 24 Dec 2013, 20:21

Absolutely love your idea ! :thumb: I think Avenger/New Avenger fans would too ! ^^ Now for a storyline and cast...any ideas ...? :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Dec 2013, 21:05

martyoreen wrote:Absolutely love your idea ! :thumb: I think Avenger/New Avenger fans would too ! ^^ Now for a storyline and cast...any ideas ...? :happy:

Too many ideas, but something that linked the old series with the new version is the usual default plot--the Cybernauts, maybe. Cast, I can't even begin to fathom. Where do you find a woman who looks like a cross between Gareth and Joanna? :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 25 Dec 2013, 03:52

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Absolutely love your idea ! :thumb: I think Avenger/New Avenger fans would too ! ^^ Now for a storyline and cast...any ideas ...? :happy:

Too many ideas, but something that linked the old series with the new version is the usual default plot--the Cybernauts, maybe. Cast, I can't even begin to fathom. Where do you find a woman who looks like a cross between Gareth and Joanna? :lol:

Love response 'Too many ideas ' :thumb: Link idea is a sine qua non for success of the new series ! Cybernauts ...yes ...but other possibilities ! Cast would need a little thought but not impossible :happy: A woman who looks like a cross between Gambit and Purdey...would need to check the files ( as Purdey once teased Gambit about doing ) on that one :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 11 Jan 2014, 03:04

Anyone got any ideas for 'a woman who looks like a cross between Gambit and Purdey ? Other Cast members ? Rhonda Returns ? ImageImage For a start there has to be a Top Female Russian Agent :thumb: No shortage of Real Russian Girls to fill this role ! Steeds grand-daughter (pity he didn't have a niece to work with Purdey !) would have to be fitted into the script :thumb: ... and maybe a nephew of Gambit's :lol:

Return to The New Avengers