Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Avengers merchandise!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Jun 2011, 13:02

Re: Avengers merchandise!

Avengerdan wrote:Steed and Gambit doll?

http://www.megomuseum.com/teevee/newavengers.html

These were the mooted Steed and Gambit action figures (as you can see, they were meant to have little buttons you could press for actions). They were advertised along with the Purdey doll, which was produced, but while prototypes were made, the action figures never made it onto the market. The rumour is that a bunch of heads produced for the Gambit action figure were subsequently recycled and used as heads for Tom Baker Doctor Who action figures. I'm so serious. :lol:

The Purdey doll pops up on ebay occasionally, for a price of several thousand pounds. It's an extremely rare item, especially if you can find it on its card.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Jun 2011, 16:56

A couple of thousands? Okay, then I'm off the game, if they would ever show up on ebay again. :lmao: but it's still interesting, thanks for letting us know, Timeless!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 05 Jun 2011, 00:04

The Purdey dolls must have been rare even at the time they were issued as I don't remember seeing them back then. I would definitely purchased almost ANYTHING Avengers related at the time - I even bought New Avengers marshmallows! - so must account for that kind of value today.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jun 2011, 08:16

Avengerdan wrote:The Purdey dolls must have been rare even at the time they were issued as I don't remember seeing them back then. I would definitely purchased almost ANYTHING Avengers related at the time - I even bought New Avengers marshmallows! - so must account for that kind of value today.

Wow, New Avengers marshmallows? And I always thought that today the mercandising products are a bit out of hand. Do you still have them? :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jun 2011, 12:41

LunaFive wrote:A couple of thousands? Okay, then I'm off the game, if they would ever show up on ebay again. :lmao: but it's still interesting, thanks for letting us know, Timeless!

Yeah, the last time I saw one it was around that amount. They pop up very rarely, so there haven't been many examples. They're cheaper out of the packaging, but still would set you back a fair bit. More than I could pay, anyway. :lol:

Feel free to ask about pricing of any other Avengers stuff, Britta. I've been collecting a long time, so I usually know roughly whether or not something is a good deal. :thumb:

Avengerdan wrote:The Purdey dolls must have been rare even at the time they were issued as I don't remember seeing them back then. I would definitely purchased almost ANYTHING Avengers related at the time - I even bought New Avengers marshmallows! - so must account for that kind of value today.

I've always thought so, too--the number of examples, even ones that were taken out of the package and played with, is very small indeed. And the clothes that were produced for them must have had an even more limited run. I've only seen one example ever. I don't know why they were produced in such limited quantities.

I've always heard about the infamous TNA-brand Purdey marshmallows, so it's nice to know someone who actually bought some. Do you remember what they looked like?

LunaFive wrote:Wow, New Avengers marshmallows? And I always thought that today the mercandising products are a bit out of hand. Do you still have them? :wink:

They might be a bit hard by now, but I'd love it if he did. :lol: I've seen unopened cartoon-themed fruit snacks from the 1990s on ebay, so anything's possible. :lmao:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jun 2011, 14:49

It's unbelievable what people still have to sell, like old marshmallows :lmao: even if they are a collectors item.

Thanks, Timeless, I will remember to ask you if I'm unsure about an item I might like to buy, I'm sure you have a very good overview. :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jun 2011, 12:54

LunaFive wrote:It's unbelievable what people still have to sell, like old marshmallows :lmao: even if they are a collectors item.

Thanks, Timeless, I will remember to ask you if I'm unsure about an item I might like to buy, I'm sure you have a very good overview. :thumb:

In the collector's market, anything goes. Even stale marshmallows. :lmao:

And yes, feel free to ask about items. May as well use some of the info rattling around in my head. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 06 Jul 2011, 20:39

The dolls are great, and I get excited whenever a Purdey doll pops up on Ebay, but a couple of thousand pounds is just an insane amount of money for a doll, no matter how fabulous it is. But hey, apparently there are people out there willing (and able) to spend that much money on it, so good on them :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 06 Jul 2011, 21:34

Philippa wrote:The dolls are great, and I get excited whenever a Purdey doll pops up on Ebay, but a couple of thousand pounds is just an insane amount of money for a doll, no matter how fabulous it is.

Agreed. :wink: Hey, I'd rather spend that amount of money on 300 tickets for Joanna's plays. :lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Jul 2011, 13:12

Philippa wrote:The dolls are great, and I get excited whenever a Purdey doll pops up on Ebay, but a couple of thousand pounds is just an insane amount of money for a doll, no matter how fabulous it is. But hey, apparently there are people out there willing (and able) to spend that much money on it, so good on them :lol:

Indeed. :grin: I've never had that much money to blow on something, but some lucky people out there do. :lol:
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 08 Jul 2011, 12:39

Even If I had it, I wouldn't spend that much. Heck, even ABBA fans will spend that much on an item. Wish I had that much, but i'd spend it on other things. Like my Sailor Moon collection for instance
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 26 Aug 2011, 09:53

Would anyone be interested in Scans of the Avengers annual? The blue cover annual? I own it and was wondering if anyone would be interested in the Joanna parts of the book being scanned or photographed?
<<

avenger

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 20 Jan 2012, 14:46

I do have a mirror featuring Purdey,Gambit and Steed.
It was sent to me by Ian Beazley ,along with several other items,back when Ian was a fellow collector of Avengers memorabilia.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Jan 2012, 15:30

avenger wrote:I do have a mirror featuring Purdey,Gambit and Steed.
It was sent to me by Ian Beazley ,along with several other items,back when Ian was a fellow collector of Avengers memorabilia.

You're lucky--those are super rare and worth a pretty penny if you can get ahold of them. :yes:
<<

Philippa

Post 20 Jan 2012, 21:18

That's a great thing to have, definitely :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

avenger

Post 21 Jan 2012, 04:22

I did write to Ms.Lumley several years ago asking her to autograph a TV Times that I had kept because she was on the cover.
She graciously signed the cover and also sent me a signed note and a signed photo.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jan 2012, 12:26

avenger wrote:I did write to Ms.Lumley several years ago asking her to autograph a TV Times that I had kept because she was on the cover.
She graciously signed the cover and also sent me a signed note and a signed photo.

How lovely! Could we perhaps, see a picture of your signed magazine? I always enjoy seeing personally signed stuff. :yes:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jan 2012, 15:09

That's so lovely! I'd really like to see it too, if you feel like sharing it with us :yes:

<<

avenger

Post 21 Jan 2012, 15:43

I would like to share the photo with you if I can find a camera that works !!!
<<

philmartin

Post 06 Jan 2014, 00:13

Unknown Purdey Doll FOUND !

I can confirm that a 12in Figure of 'Purdey' ( I don't know about Steed or Gambit figures ) was issued and I have one, It is still in the box and has the name 'Fun World ' and looks very similar to the Denys Fisher version, it has the New Avengers logo on the box and the Copyright, it is in an ' Action Man ' type box.
I have NEVER ever seen another of these in over 30 years collecting and dealing in Toys and collectables... A rare find indeed !.
Take a look at the attached photo... Enjoy !
All the very best... PhilImage
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jan 2014, 21:51

Re: Unknown Purdey Doll FOUND !

philmartin wrote:I can confirm that a 12in Figure of 'Purdey' ( I don't know about Steed or Gambit figures ) was issued and I have one, It is still in the box and has the name 'Fun World ' and looks very similar to the Denys Fisher version, it has the New Avengers logo on the box and the Copyright, it is in an ' Action Man ' type box.
I have NEVER ever seen another of these in over 30 years collecting and dealing in Toys and collectables... A rare find indeed !.

Fascinating! I've never seen or heard of this before, and I'm very surprised to discover that it's been floating around. I did a Google search and found a post about it on a Mego site from today, which seems to be featuring your picture, and says the doll was made in South Africa, and that there were Steed and Gambit dolls produced for that market as well. If that's the case, that'd be a first, as TNA fans have always heard that the Steed and Gambit dolls never saw the light of day. Thank you for sharing! :squee:

http://www.megomuseum.com/new-avengers-discovery/
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Jan 2014, 22:17

Oh wow, that's amazing! :squee: I know that they're very rare, and I remember seeing one for sale up on Ebay a few years back at a ridiculously high price.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Jan 2014, 14:39

Philippa wrote:Oh wow, that's amazing! :squee: I know that they're very rare, and I remember seeing one for sale up on Ebay a few years back at a ridiculously high price.

This one's even one-up from the ebay ones, as they're always the Denys Fischer versions, at least the ones I've seen. This is another company's version that we didn't even know existed, so it's extra rare and a super-amazing discovery. :squee:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 11 Jan 2014, 03:08

Philippa wrote:Oh wow, that's amazing! :squee: I know that they're very rare, and I remember seeing one for sale up on Ebay a few years back at a ridiculously high price.

Ah now...I thought Purdey was priceless :lol: :thumb:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Feb 2014, 01:00

Re: Unknown Purdey Doll FOUND !

philmartin wrote:I can confirm that a 12in Figure of 'Purdey' ( I don't know about Steed or Gambit figures ) was issued and I have one, It is still in the box and has the name 'Fun World ' and looks very similar to the Denys Fisher version, it has the New Avengers logo on the box and the Copyright, it is in an ' Action Man ' type box.

Wonderful :squee: Like the other ladies here I've only ever seen one picture on Ebay and I never saved it (sadly) Thanks for this!
Previous

Return to The New Avengers