Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

S&S audio adventures

<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 27 Jun 2009, 09:34

S&S audio adventures

Yes, I know, strictly speaking, they're not really on topic since Joanna isn't involved. So, if it's ok to have a topic here for the Big Finish audio adventures, just leave this thread here and I'll add my take on the during the next few days/weeks, one by one. If it's not ok, just delete.

I just think that they're so good that every S&S fan who wants more than just the show should give them a try. ^^ I mean - I did, even though I had my doubts about Susannah Harker and David Warner and so far, I haven't regretted it.

(Hm, ok, so what I'm REALLY trying to do is get you folks to give them a try cos the more of those audio adventures Big Finish sells, the higher the probability they'll do a 4th season and I'm so addicted I simply can't BEAR the thought I won't get any more new S&S adventures after I'm through with the 3rd season ... But that's just evil little me. :brows: )
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jun 2009, 10:25

Re: S&S Audio Adventures

I'm quite curious about this audio series. Of course I know it's not Joanna and David, but that doens't mean it can't be good.
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 28 Jun 2009, 00:05

Re: S&S Audio Adventures

Oh, Warner and Harker are absolutely fabulous, if you allow me to say so. ;) Perfect!
I really do love them to pieces.

I'll start posting soon. After I've listened to the whole lot again. :whistle:
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 16 Jun 2010, 16:47

Re: S&S audio adventures

Just to dig this thread up again - I recommend, to all who like the TV show: Get the audio adventures by Big Finish! They got special deals when you buy the whole season. I got all three seasons now. Haven't listened to the third one, yet, cos I KNOW I'll totally get wrapped up in S&S again as soon as I do and that's not supposed to happen since I got other things to do, right now.

Susannah Harker and David Warner are awesome as Sapphire and Steel. Believe it or not. I didn't when I first came across the audio adventures, giving those two an almost Joanna-like sneer. But they do capture the essence of the characters perfectly. In fact, you might find their versions slightly more likeable than the TV-versions - especially Steel who's still his grouchy self and still can be a bastard but he does seem to care more about Sapphire. There's also several appearances by Silver, too - hooray! And there's other elements: Gold and Ruby. The stories are very interesting and as far as I'm concerned, really addictive. And that's from someone who usually doesn't like audio adventures.

I still recommend buying them directly of Big Finish (since rising sales numbers MIGHT just entice them to do a fourth season ... ;)) but if you want them cheaper, some can also be found on ebay (not sure if they're all out there).

PLUS: For all of you who didn't like the end of Assignment 6 - the audio adventures are set AFTER Assignment 6, actually all taking part some time around the year 2000, as far as I remember. So they got out of the cafe somehow. It's never mentioned how. I got the impression, though, Silver might have had a hand in it ... :)

So - top marks from me! But I'd like to hear what you think of the lot. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* ;)
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Jun 2010, 21:14

Re: S&S audio adventures

Thanks for digging up this topic again Khell :happy: As I said before, I'd love to hear these audio series. I've recently become quite addictive to radio drama, so I think it'll be right up my street.
I see you mentioned Ebay, but are they available on Amazon as well?
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 17 Jun 2010, 07:05

Re: S&S audio adventures

Yup, they're available, at least on amazon.de - just enter "sapphire & steel big finish" as search terms. Dunno about amazon.uk or amazon.com but amazon.de got them all. Still might be cheaper, though to get them on the Big Finish website:
http://www.bigfinish.com/sapphire-and-steel

As I mentioned, they do have special deals and buying from them, you save between 7 and 20 GBP per season. There's five episodes in sesson 1, six in season 2 and four in season 3.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jun 2010, 14:46

Re: S&S audio adventures

Thanks, I'll make sure to check them out! And great to have you back with us Khell :grin:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 17 Jun 2010, 18:41

Re: S&S audio adventures

*gg* Well, back for a bit. ;) You know me - popping up and disappearing, just like Sapphire and Steel. *lol*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Jun 2010, 18:55

Re: S&S audio adventures

Khell wrote:Yup, they're available, at least on amazon.de - just enter "sapphire & steel big finish" as search terms. Dunno about amazon.uk or amazon.com but amazon.de got them all. Still might be cheaper, though to get them on the Big Finish website:
http://www.bigfinish.com/sapphire-and-steel

As I mentioned, they do have special deals and buying from them, you save between 7 and 20 GBP per season. There's five episodes in sesson 1, six in season 2 and four in season 3.


Oh, yes, Amazon.co.uk has them--they reviewed them all in SFX after all. Big Finish is primarily known for its Doctor Who releases--it does loads of them--but the S&S ones have always been very acclaimed. I might just pick these up next time I order from Amazon (I'm waiting until after I get a new address, and more of the revamped Avengers sets are out. I need to lump things to make shipping affordable). I know I could go for other actors doing the characters, too, because I'm a huge fan of the Avengers radio series, even though the Rigg/Macnee pairing isn't there, so I'm willing to give them a chance. I adore radio--H2G2, Sexton Blake--and I'm always looking for more. :yes:

All are available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passenger-Sapph ... 460&sr=8-9

Dude, they actually brought David Collings back for Silver! :squee:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jun 2010, 21:20

Re: S&S audio adventures

Khell wrote:*gg* Well, back for a bit. ;) You know me - popping up and disappearing, just like Sapphire and Steel. *lol*


And we savour every minute of your return *giggles*
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Jun 2010, 21:31

Re: S&S audio adventures

Philippa wrote:
Khell wrote:*gg* Well, back for a bit. ;) You know me - popping up and disappearing, just like Sapphire and Steel. *lol*


And we savour every minute of your return *giggles*


Particularly if your eyes glow. :lol:
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 18 Jun 2010, 11:34

Re: S&S audio adventures

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:
Khell wrote:*gg* Well, back for a bit. ;) You know me - popping up and disappearing, just like Sapphire and Steel. *lol*


And we savour every minute of your return *giggles*


Particularly if your eyes glow. :lol:


Ah, dang, you noticed? OK, I confess: In truth, I'm Ruby and I'm trying to entice you to buy the audio adventures so you can all get to know me and then, of course, like me much, much better than Sapphire cos really, I AM so much better and more interesting too ...

:brows:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 18 Jun 2010, 17:51

Re: S&S audio adventures

Khell wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Particularly if your eyes glow. :lol:


Ah, dang, you noticed? OK, I confess: In truth, I'm Ruby and I'm trying to entice you to buy the audio adventures so you can all get to know me and then, of course, like me much, much better than Sapphire cos really, I AM so much better and more interesting too ...

:brows:


I knew it! I'm on to you, Ruby. Now, be a dear and send Gambit to 2010 for me. Then I'll definitely love you more than Sapphire. :lmao:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Jun 2010, 22:14

Re: S&S audio adventures

Oh dear, I already had the feeling I was being manipulated :lmao:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 20 Jun 2010, 14:43

Re: S&S audio adventures

Manipulated? I don't manipulate. People give me what I want of their own free will ... *glowy eyes*
Timeless - Gambit's here already. Now as to his whereabouts ... sorry dear, I guess you'll just have to find him. :D
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 20 Jun 2010, 16:58

Re: S&S audio adventures

Khell wrote:Manipulated? I don't manipulate. People give me what I want of their own free will ... *glowy eyes*
Timeless - Gambit's here already. Now as to his whereabouts ... sorry dear, I guess you'll just have to find him. :D


What, you're just letting him wander around in his flares in the future all on his lonesome? How cruel. :lol: Maybe he'll resurrect a few fashion trends in the process. Hey, I wouldn't complain. :whistle:

(He's unsupervised, though. That might not be good. You know what Purdey says--he has a tendency to get "carried away." :lol: )
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 21 Jun 2010, 15:21

Re: S&S audio adventures

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Khell wrote:Manipulated? I don't manipulate. People give me what I want of their own free will ... *glowy eyes*
Timeless - Gambit's here already. Now as to his whereabouts ... sorry dear, I guess you'll just have to find him. :D


What, you're just letting him wander around in his flares in the future all on his lonesome? How cruel. :lol: Maybe he'll resurrect a few fashion trends in the process. Hey, I wouldn't complain. :whistle:

(He's unsupervised, though. That might not be good. You know what Purdey says--he has a tendency to get "carried away." :lol: )


Yeah, by you, in this case ... *duck, cheeky grin*

Oh how I wish he would resurrect some fashion trends! I don't like nowadays' fashion. Not really. Blah. Hm ... Hey, why do I care? I'm Ruby - I can wear anything that I want, provided it's red! *lol*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 21 Jun 2010, 17:47

Re: S&S audio adventures

Khell wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:What, you're just letting him wander around in his flares in the future all on his lonesome? How cruel. :lol: Maybe he'll resurrect a few fashion trends in the process. Hey, I wouldn't complain. :whistle:

(He's unsupervised, though. That might not be good. You know what Purdey says--he has a tendency to get "carried away." :lol: )


Yeah, by you, in this case ... *duck, cheeky grin*

Oh how I wish he would resurrect some fashion trends! I don't like nowadays' fashion. Not really. Blah. Hm ... Hey, why do I care? I'm Ruby - I can wear anything that I want, provided it's red! *lol*


Right, and you wouldn't be helping me with him at all, right? :wink:

Me too! I loved Gambit's clothes. I so wish seventies men's fashions would come back. I want to wear some of them--I want Tony Curtis' wardrobe from The Persuaders! The gloves, the boots, the awesome jackets. Basically I want Emma's stuff from the sixties and the men's stuff from the seventies. There's my ideal fashion world. ^^ We need to revamp things, Khell. Sorry, Ruby. Mess with time a little. Get the stores carrying the right stuff. :thumb:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 25 Feb 2014, 18:35

Re: S&S audio adventures

Reviving this topic! Have you listened to these by any chance Timeless? I'm seriously considering buying these at some point (Big Finish is going to ruin me financially), and from reading back through these old Posts at least Khell really liked them.
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Mar 2014, 22:56

Re: S&S audio adventures

Philippa wrote:Reviving this topic! Have you listened to these by any chance Timeless? I'm seriously considering buying these at some point (Big Finish is going to ruin me financially), and from reading back through these old Posts at least Khell really liked them.


I have listened to one (courtesy of a disc from Khell, actually, to make things come full circle :wink: ). I hadn't watched the show at that point, so I wasn't able to appreciate it as much as I probably would now. It was suitably spooky, though, and I've never read a bad word about it. Warner and Harker apparently filled Joanna and David McCallum's shoes very well. And Silver is still played by the same guy! I might get these myself one day, when my fun money budget allows. Fandoms, eh? :lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Mar 2014, 09:22

Re: S&S audio adventures

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:Reviving this topic! Have you listened to these by any chance Timeless? I'm seriously considering buying these at some point (Big Finish is going to ruin me financially), and from reading back through these old Posts at least Khell really liked them.


I have listened to one (courtesy of a disc from Khell, actually, to make things come full circle :wink: ). I hadn't watched the show at that point, so I wasn't able to appreciate it as much as I probably would now. It was suitably spooky, though, and I've never read a bad word about it. Warner and Harker apparently filled Joanna and David McCallum's shoes very well. And Silver is still played by the same guy! I might get these myself one day, when my fun money budget allows. Fandoms, eh? :lol:


So cool that Silver's still played by the same guy! Big Finish is very good at that, they always seem to manage to get as much of the old cast together as they possibly can. I'd love to buy them now but money...Someday though :yes:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Mar 2014, 13:41

Re: S&S audio adventures

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:Reviving this topic! Have you listened to these by any chance Timeless? I'm seriously considering buying these at some point (Big Finish is going to ruin me financially), and from reading back through these old Posts at least Khell really liked them.


I have listened to one (courtesy of a disc from Khell, actually, to make things come full circle :wink: ). I hadn't watched the show at that point, so I wasn't able to appreciate it as much as I probably would now. It was suitably spooky, though, and I've never read a bad word about it. Warner and Harker apparently filled Joanna and David McCallum's shoes very well. And Silver is still played by the same guy! I might get these myself one day, when my fun money budget allows. Fandoms, eh? :lol:


So cool that Silver's still played by the same guy! Big Finish is very good at that, they always seem to manage to get as much of the old cast together as they possibly can. I'd love to buy them now but money...Someday though :yes:


Yeah, it's nice that they make the effort to get the same cast back. Radio's brilliant because voices stay pretty much the same, so it doesn't matter how much the actors have aged, they can come back to the characters, unlike in TV. I'm with you--when I have money someday, I'll go for it. :wink:

Return to Sapphire & Steel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred