Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

General Avengers talk

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 21 Mar 2014, 17:21

Re: General Avengers talk

Philippa wrote:Joanna playing Purdey again for Big Finish is now going on my list of "things I didn't know I wanted, but now desperately need in my life". :lol:

I think that's on a lot of people's lists (including mine). :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 06 May 2014, 19:35

Re: General Avengers talk

Couple of big pieces of news that I realised I'd neglected to post here, so I thought I'd rectify that.

First, Michael Richardson (late of the Avengers forum) has a new book on the Avengers coming out in June. It'll cover the whole of the original series and TNA, along with the South African radio series, the stage play, the movie, and projects that never came to fruition (there was going to be an Avengers musical in the '60s, you know). Michael has quite literally been researching this thing for years, using original studio documentation to fill in gaps in our knowledge on the show. He's promised lots of new information, and given it's over 800 pages long, I'm pretty excited to see what he's found.

http://www.telos.co.uk/product/bowler-h ... -avengers/

Also on the book front, Rodney Marshall, son of Avengers scriptwriter Roger Marshall (him of The Hour that Never Was, among others) has spear-headed a series of books on the Avengers on film. Each book features essays on every episode from fans of the series, everything from analysis to observations to what makes the series tick. The series is going to consist of four volumes in total: one for the black and white Emma episodes, one for the colour Emmas, one for the Taras, and one for TNA. He's organised it via the forum, so there are a lot of familiar faces contributing chapters, including, well, me. :lol: The black and white Emma volume is already out, and has sold over 2000 copies last I heard, many of them to universities who add them to the media studies sections of their libraries. I contributed chapters on The Thirteenth Hole and The Quick-Quick-Slow Death, and it's been pretty exciting to be able to write on the show and have it published! :hyper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Horizons ... 12&sr=1-11

Chapters have already been divvied up for the next three books, and I'm working on essays for the colour Peel series right now. I'll be contributing to the Tara book as well, and I'm going to be pretty heavily involved in the TNA book, if all goes to plan. These books are great because we have loads of series guides, but there's not really a lot written about the series from an analytical standpoint. Lots of other TV series have a lot of academic/analytical books on the market, so these fill a niche in the market, and make for some pretty neat projects to boot. :yes:

Anyway, just passing these along in case you're looking for some reading material. :wink:
Previous

Return to The New Avengers