Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Purdey and Mike Gambit

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jun 2009, 19:42

Re: Purdey and Mike Gambit

Khell wrote:Timeless and I do have the theory - nope, actually, I'm convinced that, if you compare human Purdey to non-human Sapphire, then Sapphire's actually the more "normal" one ... :grin:

If you look closely at both, that might very well be the case :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 06 Jun 2009, 02:02

Philippa wrote:
Khell wrote:Timeless and I do have the theory - nope, actually, I'm convinced that, if you compare human Purdey to non-human Sapphire, then Sapphire's actually the more "normal" one ... :grin:

If you look closely at both, that might very well be the case :lol:

Sapphire, at least, likely knows the laws of the universe and abides by them. Purdey makes up her own as she goes along. :lol: Gambit probably has a notebook where he keeps track of them all. He's trying to figure out the universe according to Purdey in hopes it'll get him closer to action in the bedroom department. :wink:

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Khell wrote:What was it Purdey said when Steed said the guy drowned?
"Oh no, whatever gave you that idea? He was shot."
With a tone kinda like "silly man, how COULD you assume someone who walked into a lake would have died by drowning?" :lmao:

That's classic Purdey. :lmao: Clearly she lives in her own little world, where fish logically nest in trees and marshmallows go with anything. You know something's wrong when even Steed's looking at her oddly--she can out-eccentric him. That can't be a good sign. :wink:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

She doesn't seem at all surprised that the man says the lake might catch up with them, even though Gambit is giving him a strange look :lolol:

I love Gambit's bemused expressions. Gareth does more stuff in the background than any actor I know. You can just see the wheels turning--"This is getting too weird. I need a different job." :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 02:09

Yeah, poor Mike :lol:

I still can't get over the whole "Step on it Gambit! I am stepping on it!" dialogue.
It's been playing in my mind for at least 3 days, and it's still funny :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jun 2009, 02:14

Philippa wrote:Yeah, poor Mike :lol:

I still can't get over the whole "Step on it Gambit! I am stepping on it!" dialogue.

I love how Gambit's even got his foot holding it down (with his dishy boot. Love his boots), and then gives it a kick and it makes that swan noise. Brilliant. :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:08

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:Yeah, poor Mike :lol:

I love how Gambit's even got his foot holding it down (with his dishy boot. Love his boots), and then gives it a kick and it makes that swan noise. Brilliant. :lmao:

They must've had so much fun shooting those scenes :lmao:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:27

Shall we list the Purdey and Mike ''must see'' scenes to this topic? :d

I'll go first! One of my faves is a scene from House of Cards, around 38 minutes into the episode. Purdey's undressing herself, but she has company, and Gambit has his very own solution to point that out to her. Bonus points for the ''one of these days...'' line.
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:31

Well since I watched The Eagle's Nest yesterday, I'll add Mike tipping Purdey out of bed to that list :lmao:
I need my beauty sleep!
And I love the fact that Purdey has a huge stuffed animal in her bed :grin: (I can't quite make out if it's a teddy bear or something else though)

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:37

You know, that "one of these days ..." line - they actually did a brilliant translation of that into German. It's:

P: Eines Tages passiert hier noch was.
G: Das hoffe ich doch.

Which is really the best translation you can do of that. They ARE pretty good. And stick as closely to the original as possible.

Another favourite (in German) is that scene in "House of Cards" where Purdey and Gambit chase after the helicopter with Perov and Gambit makes Purdey leave the road. It goes something like this: (doing it by memory)

P: Aber da ist keine Straße!
G: Pfeif' auf die Straße.
(car hopping along on the dirt road)
P: Meine armen Stoßdämpfer.
G: Pfeif' auf die Stoßdämpfer.
(more driving)
P: Und wenn der Helikopter jetzt über eine Klippe fliegt, soll ich hinterherfahren, oder was?
G: Pfeif' auf die Klippe.

Re-translation into English:
P: But there's no road!
G: Hang the road.
P: My poor dampers.
G: Hang the dampers.
P: And if the helicopter flies over a cliff now I guess you expect me to follow it or what?
G: Hang the cliff.

I dunno why but this little exchange had me laughing out loud. Must have been the way the speakers delivered it. Brilliant!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:45

I was gonna add that one too! ''I need my beauty sleep!'' ''There are a lot of things you need... but that's not one of them.'' :lol:

More tipping out of bed then, but this time it's Purdey's turn! I usually remember episodes by either Purdey's outfits or the dialogues, but I just can't remember which one it's from. I just love this line: ''Purdey... I'm not wearing any pyjamas''. (and I bet she didn't mind either)

@ Khell - wow, that translation really is a good one! Those English lines are usually so tough to translate, as they very often include some joke with words, or in the case of TNA: are very subtile. But this is really a nice one!
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:49

Very nice!
And I agree, one of these days is translated really wel! :lol:

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:52

Maartje wrote:More tipping out of bed then, but this time it's Purdey's turn! I usually remember episodes by either Purdey's outfits or the dialogues, but I just can't remember which one it's from. I just love this line: ''Purdey... I'm not wearing any pyjamas''. (and I bet she didn't mind either)

Well, she didn't seem to get a proper glimpse of him in "Three Handed Game" when he was modelling for that artist and she entered the scene. *lol* He seemed a little :blush: there, didn't he?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jun 2009, 16:56

Khell wrote:Re-translation into English:
P: But there's no road!
G: Hang the road.
P: My poor dampers.
G: Hang the dampers.
P: And if the helicopter flies over a cliff now I guess you expect me to follow it or what?
G: Hang the cliff.

I dunno why but this little exchange had me laughing out loud. Must have been the way the speakers delivered it. Brilliant!

That's brilliant! "Hang the cliff!" This is Mike Gambit. Mike Gambit laughs in the face of your pathetic little cliff. Ha ha! :lmao: That's just great. Saying something three times is always funny, so it works great. Might even be better than the original line where Gambit just says they'll "Certainly try" to follow the helicopter if goes over the cliff (I do love the way they argue in that scene. "But this is a field!" "I Know it's a field!" :lmao: )

Maartje wrote:I was gonna add that one too! ''I need my beauty sleep!'' ''There are a lot of things you need... but that's not one of them.'' :lol:

More tipping out of bed then, but this time it's Purdey's turn! I usually remember episodes by either Purdey's outfits or the dialogues, but I just can't remember which one it's from. I just love this line: ''Purdey... I'm not wearing any pyjamas''. (and I bet she didn't mind either)

@ Khell - wow, that translation really is a good one! Those English lines are usually so tough to translate, as they very often include some joke with words, or in the case of TNA: are very subtile. But this is really a nice one!

Purdey has a teddy bear in her bed, but Gambit's has something much more interesting--Gambit! That scene's from The Last of the Cybernauts, btw, and is probably one of the reasons I love it so much. I love the way Gambit starts to fall asleep again as Purdey talks to him, closing his eyes and bunching up his pillow. Him falling out of bed is pretty good, too. And the whole exchange about his bad horse bets based on Purdey-tips.

Khell wrote:
Maartje wrote:More tipping out of bed then, but this time it's Purdey's turn! I usually remember episodes by either Purdey's outfits or the dialogues, but I just can't remember which one it's from. I just love this line: ''Purdey... I'm not wearing any pyjamas''. (and I bet she didn't mind either)

Well, she didn't seem to get a proper glimpse of him in "Three Handed Game" when he was modelling for that artist and she entered the scene. *lol* He seemed a little :blush: there, didn't he?

He was even worse when Steed came in. :lol: He sort of winces, as though he's thinking "Great, great. Is my mother out there, too? You want to invite her in and make my humiliation complete?" Steed, of course, doesn't seem to notice Gambit's compromising position at all, while Purdey keeps looking at him every time his towel slips. Naughty Purdey! :brows:

Some of my favourite Purdey/Gambit bits are in Forward Base, when they a) follow the swan and b) have a little fun freaking out that Russian agent: cutting his phone line, hanging around with guns, and then disappearing by sitting in the car reading the paper. There's something about Purdey and Gambit reading the paper together that makes me think "Oh, look, Sunday morning at the Gambit home. How serene." :wink:

You guys have hit a lot of the good ones. But may I throw in the double-barreled slingshot from Dirtier while I'm at it? "Bra-vo!" indeed (and Gambit gets a souvenir).
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 Jun 2009, 20:30

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That scene's from The Last of the Cybernauts, btw, and is probably one of the reasons I love it so much. I love the way Gambit starts to fall asleep again as Purdey talks to him, closing his eyes and bunching up his pillow.

Haha, yes, he nearly falls asleep after he finds out Purdey didn't exactly come to hook up with him. She's mean though, giving the bloke false hope: ''what do you want?'' ''you.'' Although the best line in the whole scene must be: ''are you still with me?'' ''to the ends of the earth.''

Cute. :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 20:41

Purdey, I'm not wearing any pajamas.
Oh, I'll wait outside.

The smirk on her face when she says that is priceless :lolol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Jun 2009, 03:00

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:That scene's from The Last of the Cybernauts, btw, and is probably one of the reasons I love it so much. I love the way Gambit starts to fall asleep again as Purdey talks to him, closing his eyes and bunching up his pillow.

Haha, yes, he nearly falls asleep after he finds out Purdey didn't exactly come to hook up with him. She's mean though, giving the bloke false hope: ''what do you want?'' ''you.'' Although the best line in the whole scene must be: ''are you still with me?'' ''to the ends of the earth.''

Cute. :wub:

He opens one eye for that line, too. I keep expecting him to start snoring, though. Would Gambit snore? Probably. :lol: He doesn't look bad when he's asleep, though. :brows:

And yes, she did give him false hope. That was pretty much the only way to guarantee he'd wake up. You wonder if Purdey knew that...

Philippa wrote:Purdey, I'm not wearing any pajamas.
Oh, I'll wait outside.

The smirk on her face when she says that is priceless :lolol:

Oh, the smirk's wonderful, is it not? I call it her little secretive smile--what's she thinking when she walks away? Is it censored? You can never tell with Purdey, but it's a priceless end to an all-around funny scene.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Sep 2009, 21:35

Cat Amongst the Pigeons is crap (because it's pretty much a rip-off of The Winged Avenger), but this scene makes up for it:

Agents identity checks, always nice for a few suggestive smirks.. (I'm thinking Emma and Steed, haha) Now the question is: what did he say? :brows:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 00:09

Maartje wrote:Cat Amongst the Pigeons is crap (because it's pretty much a rip-off of The Winged Avenger), but this scene makes up for it:

Agents identity checks, always nice for a few suggestive smirks.. (I'm thinking Emma and Steed, haha) Now the question is: what did he say? :brows:

Cat isn't a favourite of mine, but I don't think it's terrible, and I don't see the Winged Avenger connection (other than the clawing to death of victims, something that happened just as much in The Hidden Tiger). But oh man, the identification scene at the airport is genius. The old "whisper in the ear" thing is throwback to Emma's habit of doing the same to Steed, and just as maddening. What did Gambit ask? Whatever it was, it was raunchy. And his little smile is priceless (Purdey does a little grinning of her own). :brows: Naughty Gambit. (But we love him for it, don't we? :whistle: )
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Sep 2009, 06:31

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Cat isn't a favourite of mine, but I don't think it's terrible, and I don't see the Winged Avenger connection (other than the clawing to death of victims, something that happened just as much in The Hidden Tiger).

True. I immediately connected this episode to the Winged Avenger and the idea of people being clawed to death by birds gets a bit boring. do like the idea of The Hidden Tiger because it's cats, haha. :wink:

I love these scenes, and I can't help but wondering what it was Gareth actually told Joanna. If it was something totally random, the both of them did an amazing job on the facial expressions, haha.
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Sep 2009, 14:42

If only we knew what it was that he said to her :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 17:52

Maartje wrote:I love these scenes, and I can't help but wondering what it was Gareth actually told Joanna. If it was something totally random, the both of them did an amazing job on the facial expressions, haha.

I wonder what he said, too. "Chicken cordon bleu at the cafeteria today?" Knowing Gareth, who was always making Joanna laugh, he may have come up with something himself, funny, raunchy, or both. The way she smiles isn't really with malice, though--she enjoys the joke as much as he does, and sort of makes an obligatory effort to scold him. Whatever it was, she says "no" rather than simply letting it pass. My fanfic buddy had it that he asked her to go to bed with him, but I think it was a little more creative than that. Gambit has a good imagination. :brows:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Sep 2009, 19:08

Philippa wrote:If only we knew what it was that he said to her :lol:

Oh, one can only imagine... :wub: I don't think there was an actual line written for that bit, so Gareth probably made something up to make her laugh indeed.

They were the perfect duo, both on as off-screen, and now that I'm reading more and more of SBAM, I realize what an intense time it must have been for them. Shooting all over the globe, having to make many cutbacks while raising a child at the same time. I came across this picture of Joanna holding Jamie at the Pinewood Studios that I stared at for a long time. I admire the Joanna of today, but now that I know more about her life back then, I think I admire her even more.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 19:37

Maartje wrote:
Philippa wrote:If only we knew what it was that he said to her :lol:

Oh, one can only imagine... :wub: I don't think there was an actual line written for that bit, so Gareth probably made something up to make her laugh indeed.

They were the perfect duo, both on as off-screen, and now that I'm reading more and more of SBAM, I realize what an intense time it must have been for them. Shooting all over the globe, having to make many cutbacks while raising a child at the same time. I came across this picture of Joanna holding Jamie at the Pinewood Studios that I stared at for a long time. I admire the Joanna of today, but now that I know more about her life back then, I think I admire her even more.

Whatever Gareth made up, it probably would never have gotten past the censors anyway. :lol:

SBAS is best for Joanna/Gareth anecdotes (my favourites are still the lunch in Paris--"One of your balls is in my glass old squire!"--and when they moved in together with the kids in Canada. See, Purdey and Gambit could do domestic after all! :lolol: ) It was incredibly hard for both of them, but harder for Joanna because she had to raise Jamie on her own (Gareth's ex-wife had his son for a lot of the time). I still think it was likely they bonded over each having a boy the same age, and both having already gone through one divorce and not eager to get married again. I know the picture you mean with Jamie--it's lovely, obviously taken during season 2. I have a shot of Gareth with his kid, too--Gareth jr. used to come onset as well. It definitely shows a dfifferent to them.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Sep 2009, 19:46

I found the fact that they've shared a flat with their two boys whilst filming really touching. Of course it was just a way to save up some money too, but all these anecdotes make you realize what good friends they were. (and, as I've said many times before, it showed on screen)

I haven't read the whole book yet, so I guess there are still some suprises hidden in the last few chapters. NRFS is great for AbFab lovers (which I first, and foremost, am) but SBAM is good for TNA stuff. I love Joanna's honesty in her books - she's open, but there's never a trace of self-pity.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2009, 20:10

Maartje wrote:I found the fact that they've shared a flat with their two boys whilst filming really touching. Of course it was just a way to save up some money too, but all these anecdotes make you realize what good friends they were. (and, as I've said many times before, it showed on screen)

I haven't read the whole book yet, so I guess there are still some suprises hidden in the last few chapters. NRFS is great for AbFab lovers (which I first, and foremost, am) but SBAM is good for TNA stuff. I love Joanna's honesty in her books - she's open, but there's never a trace of self-pity.

Yeah, NRFS has pretty much no TNA content, but SBAS is full of it. I thought it was sweet they lived together, too, because it showed how close they were by the end. It does show up on screen, definitely. What's funny though is how they weren't interested in getting involved at all, even though they both admitted the other was attractive, so they were very good actors in that sense, too, playing a couple of characters dancing around sleeping together all the time. What it'd be like to be a fly on the wall in that hotel suite, though--I always picture them getting up in the morning looking all scruffy and unglam, peering at each other through bleary eyes, and going "right, cornflakes." Wake up with your co-star, work all day with your co-star, go back home with your co-star. It's a wonder they didn't hate each other by the end. :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 17 Dec 2014, 01:57

Love this pose...Purdey is really teasing Gambit ...and loving it :blush: Image Purdey's self-satisfied look must be driving poor Mike wild ! (Love Purdey's cardigan...emphasises her wide shoulders ) Purdey sees Gambit out...love this pose of her in the doorway :worship:
05purdey1c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous

Return to The New Avengers