Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Which episodes did you enjoy most?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 May 2010, 22:37

Re: Which episodes did you enjoy most?

I can clearly see what you mean now. Obsession is, by far, the darkest TNA episode around, the other ones are all more fluffier and enjoyable to watch. It's just that it shows off Joanna's amazing talent and gave her, in that respect, more opportunity to stretch her legs than previous plots for the other girls did.

I'm a very emotional person myself, and I think that does reflect in the series I watch. (no wonder I watch Sensitive Skin over and over again, whilst you can't handle it) And perhaps it also shows in the episodes I pick. (I tend to go for the more personal ones with AbFab too, actually)

I'd list Obsession as one of the top Avengers episodes of all times, even though I know many fans wouldn't agree with me.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 22:40

Good justification, for both sides. I just love the narrative in Obsession for obvious reasons. Still finding it hard to pick my Top 5 though!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 May 2010, 22:41

Angels of Death holds many great memories for me. It was the first episode I ever recorded on ... audio cassette tape, with the mic pointed right at the TV (when I played it back my dog Emma - yes, I know ... could be heard barking during the exciting bits followed by my mum 'shushing' her). My arm was really aching afterwards.

Apart from that I loved the basic plot - brainwashing, the puzzles, was very classic (Rigg) Avengers. I love the very sexual (to me, I was 17) "Down boy, this is more my scene" that Purdey says to Gambit as she steps over him and has a very realistic fight with three 'Angels' - even Gambit winces. And then this bit ...

Then there was the "Gambit! Get me off or I'll be playing for the Harlem Globetrotters!" line and "I AM standing on a box!" which had me rolling on the floor! :lmao:

And last but not least ... the delectible Caroline Munro who played Tammy. One time Bond girl and poster girl for Lamb's Navy Rum. A couple of years later I saw her emerging from my local train station, she was hurrying so I didn't want to delay her, but just stood transfixed as she flicked her jet black hair off her face as she hurried to the taxi rank. Other people either recognised her or were just halted by her beauty and she returned their look with a smile (sigh). :wub:

But, yes. A favourite episode - absolutely. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 22:46

^ ahaha great scene! Purdey and Gambit dosing out Avenger style whoop-ass!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 May 2010, 22:57

Mara wrote:I can clearly see what you mean now. Obsession is, by far, the darkest TNA episode around, the other ones are all more fluffier and enjoyable to watch. It's just that it shows off Joanna's amazing talent and gave her, in that respect, more opportunity to stretch her legs than previous plots for the other girls did.

I'm a very emotional person myself, and I think that does reflect in the series I watch. (no wonder I watch Sensitive Skin over and over again, whilst you can't handle it) And perhaps it also shows in the episodes I pick. (I tend to go for the more personal ones with AbFab too, actually)

I'd list Obsession as one of the top Avengers episodes of all times, even though I know many fans wouldn't agree with me.

You see, it can go both ways. Some people, when they're sad, want to watch something that's sad to reflect that. Other people want to watch something that makes them laugh to release the tension. I'm in the latter camp. I can get depressed all on my own--I don't need to watch stuff on TV to help me get there. So it depends how I'm feeling that day. If I'm feeling pretty good, then I'll watch something sadder because I can sort of bask in the angst and then get past it. But if I'm exhausted and it's the end of the day, I don't want something that's going to emotionally exhaust me, too. 9 times out of 10, I watch the Avengers to unwind, not to wind me up. I adored Obsession the first time I saw it--it left me gasping emotionally in the best possible way. When I go through season 2, it's a highlight. It's gorgeous and I love it. But my favourites I think of "go-to" episodes, and I don't go to it often. I need escapism. If I wasn't as attached to the characters it wouldn't be a big deal--I watched the David Tennant farewell on Doctor Who completely dry-eyed and unaffected, but then I only watch it casually. But I feel too much for Purdey and Gambit. It hurts too much to watch them suffer when you're not 100% yourself. So I wouldn't say I'm not emotional--just too emotionally exhausted some days.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 May 2010, 23:10

Avengerdan wrote:Angels of Death holds many great memories for me. It was the first episode I ever recorded on ... audio cassette tape, with the mic pointed right at the TV (when I played it back my dog Emma - yes, I know ... could be heard barking during the exciting bits followed by my mum 'shushing' her). My arm was really aching afterwards.

Apart from that I loved the basic plot - brainwashing, the puzzles, was very classic (Rigg) Avengers. I love the very sexual (to me, I was 17) "Down boy, this is more my scene" that Purdey says to Gambit as she steps over him and has a very realistic fight with three 'Angels' - even Gambit winces. And then this bit ...

Then there was the "Gambit! Get me off or I'll be playing for the Harlem Globetrotters!" line and "I AM standing on a box!" which had me rolling on the floor! :lmao:

And last but not least ... the delectible Caroline Munro who played Tammy. One time Bond girl and poster girl for Lamb's Navy Rum. A couple of years later I saw her emerging from my local train station, she was hurrying so I didn't want to delay her, but just stood transfixed as she flicked her jet black hair off her face as she hurried to the taxi rank. Other people either recognised her or were just halted by her beauty and she returned their look with a smile (sigh). :wub:

Aw, Dandy, that's a great little description--I can just see you with the mic. Everyone seems to have done sound recordings back then, in the days before the VCR. (I got to play around with the timer to make sure it caught TNA while I was gone or at school).

You and Emma the dog (where on earth did you come up with that name? :whistle: ). Priceless. :grin:

I think the Rigg feeling caught a lot of people, too. It stands out in my brain as one of season 2’s highlights, though not enough to classify it as a favourite—it would have been one of the first ones I saw, and I rewatched it loads of times when I was first getting into the show. Gambit watching Purdey fight the Angels is my favourite bit, too—half of him’s wincing, the other half is turned on and going “I love my job. I love my job. I love my job.” Though the bit where he takes out that last girl with a high kick is priceless, too. The way he just sort of rolls her away and lets her thunk on the floor is hilarious. No Steed-style “don’t hit the evil women” rules for him. “Gambit, you have such a way with women.” :lmao:

There’s also the bit where totally confuzzles Lindsay Duncan, who doesn’t know whether to slap him or take him up on his dinner invite. Actually, Gambit has quite a few good scenes in this one. I’m still trying to figure out where he tied that rope to swing through the window like that, though—not a very quiet way of breaking in for someone who just picked a lock without “even bruising it” in the previous scene. He’s also really keen to leave for some reason: “Let’s run away and get help!” No overtime that week, I guess. Maybe he has Lindsay Duncan waiting for him at home… :brows:

Good old Caroline Munro. I watched all the Bond films around the same time, and I probably sprained something pointing her out in “The Spy Who Loved Me.” “Look, look, it’s Tammy!” Lucky you, getting to see her in her heyday.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 May 2010, 10:14

^ That woman was Lindsay Duncan?! Well I never. I knew I recognized her, but couldn't work out who she was.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 May 2010, 10:46

Timeless A-Peel wrote:You see, it can go both ways. Some people, when they're sad, want to watch something that's sad to reflect that.

That usually works for me, I think. It works the other way round for me: if I'm feeling cheery, I tend to go for a series (or an episode) that reflects that. I didn't mean to say that you're not emotional, but you might be less extrovert than I am. (believe me, that's a good thing) :lol:

The scene you posted there in screencaps Dandy, is indeed brilliant. Purdey defeating the enemy whilst Gambit is just enjoying himself at the sight of it is something that could only work on the Avengers. Did you ever notice how that girl changes position once she has fainted? O
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 May 2010, 15:50

Even if I haven't seen them all by now (but working on it) so far my favourites are
Obsession - Faces - Sleeper - Target. Just liked them a lot.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 May 2010, 18:25

Laura wrote:^ That woman was Lindsay Duncan?! Well I never. I knew I recognized her, but couldn't work out who she was.

I didn't know until recently, either! Poor confused Jane. I love Lindsay Duncan, but I love her more now that I know she snogged Gareth. :lmao:

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:You see, it can go both ways. Some people, when they're sad, want to watch something that's sad to reflect that.

That usually works for me, I think. It works the other way round for me: if I'm feeling cheery, I tend to go for a series (or an episode) that reflects that. I didn't mean to say that you're not emotional, but you might be less extrovert than I am. (believe me, that's a good thing) :lol:

The scene you posted there in screencaps Dandy, is indeed brilliant. Purdey defeating the enemy whilst Gambit is just enjoying himself at the sight of it is something that could only work on the Avengers. Did you ever notice how that girl changes position once she has fainted? O

Ah, I see. No, I'm a self-identified introvert. I need to be able to unwind at the end of the day, and that's easier with something with fun bits. It doesn't have to be straight comedy, but it should have at least one bit I can look forward to.

I paid attention to the girl fainting, too--she does move! Maybe she's trying to get closer to Gambit. :brows:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 May 2010, 19:02

^ ahah i think that was it!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 May 2010, 19:07

Laura wrote:^ ahah i think that was it!

Can't blame her, can you? :whistle:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 May 2010, 20:05

Not at all!
<<

green28

Target

Post 06 Sep 2010, 20:05

for me the eagles nest a great cast and joanna in that green suit and red boots :hearteyes:
hope its chips for tea
<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 21 Sep 2010, 23:53

i love the episode hostage - "you think purdey's with her mother, don't you!!!!!!!!!!!" :thumb:
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

PurdeyForever

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 04 Oct 2010, 17:05

Love every single episode featuring Purdey, but Last of the Cybernauts is my favourite of them all. As much as I loved Gambit and Gareth's portrayal, I think that the Purdey/Steed combination would have made more of an impact if they'd been just the two of them.

:-)
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 25 Dec 2013, 04:15

green28 wrote:for me the eagles nest a great cast and joanna in that green suit and red boots :hearteyes:

Love both the green suit and red boots :thumb: Purdey could have worn those red boots with her red shorts to stunning effect in France ! :yes: Purdey in a bodysuit or leotard love it...matchless ^^
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 25 Dec 2013, 04:33

Avengerdan wrote:Angels of Death holds many great memories for me. It was the first episode I ever recorded on ... audio cassette tape, with the mic pointed right at the TV (when I played it back my dog Emma - yes, I know ... could be heard barking during the exciting bits followed by my mum 'shushing' her). My arm was really aching afterwards.

Loved it too ! Purdey's 'Down boy ! More my style !' a great line :thumb: Caroline Munro, in terrific shape at the time, certainly out-scrummaged the gorgeous Purdey in their tussle
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 26 Oct 2014, 04:31

000caroline munro_ 006.jpg
Love the way Purdey Shaped Up to Caroline and though Joanna was not to become a Lead Bond Girl (like Emma and Cathy) she could say she got her hands on probably one of the Best Bond Girls (literally) :blush:
caroline-munro-fishing.jpg
Someone spoke of Purdey's Fights and mentioned Legwork :yes: Mc Nee said he thought Emma had long legs until he saw Purdey's ! I remembered being very surprised when I first saw Angels of Death at the ease with which Tammy appeared to push Purdey backwards in their tussle ! Look at the clip of their tussle and you will see Purdey looks as if she is certainly struggling to handle Caroline! I'm not so surprised now, when you see here how powerful (fishing) Munro's Legs are :blush: Joanna has very sexy legs but they are also very ' slanke benen' as Adele Bloemendaal discovered
newavengerspurdey-0000.jpg
ballerina-legs.jpg
968full-misty-copeland.jpg
Purdey's Fitness programme would have evidently been quite different to these modern ballerinas...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 May 2015, 01:00

green28 wrote:for me the eagles nest a great cast and joanna in that green suit and red boots :hearteyes:

Glad someone loves the green suit and red boots ! Always felt Green is a very Avenger colour ! :thumb:
Previous

Return to The New Avengers