Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Problems with server updates

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Jun 2009, 10:28

Problems with server updates

Apparently Freeforums has updated the server, but the logo, some of the avatars and smileys seem to have disappeared. I have no clue how this has happened, but I'm trying to sort it all out.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 10:36

Re: Server updates

Alright, so I've checked the server platform, and apparently more forums seem to be in trouble due to the ''updates''. There's no solution offered yet, so I think we'll just have to wait and see... Sorry guys!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Jun 2009, 11:17

Yeah I just noticed that too. Bloody annoying, I wish they wouldn't update every other week :mad:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 11:23

I've removed the logos, reuploaded them, I've removed the smileys and put them back and I've deleted the styles and added them again, but nothing seems to be working properly.

The ''good'' news is that other forums are in trouble, so it's clearly a server's fault. Stop the updating please!
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 11:25

Yes I'm just reading on the support forum, and a lot of people seem to have the same problem. That's a slight comforting thought. But still, I hope they'll be able to fix it, and that we don't have to re-install everything because of this.
It really pisses me off. They should give you the choice whether you want an update or not, instead of just forcing it upon you.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 11:30

Well, that's the point of a freeforum, the alternative is paying for it. Sometimes I think we should just switch server, but all the posts are already saved her, so then we would have to start all over again.

I've removed all the smileys (because we'd been speaking about doing so anyway) so I'll reupload a new smiley package later, and then I'll sort out the logo too. (because I've stil got it somewhere on my hard disc, thank god)
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 11:43

This means that none of the smileys in the already existing posts will work again, that's what annoys me too. If you read back over those old posts, it'll just look weird. That's what happened as well when I upgraded from 2.0 to a 3.0 forum..
I don't think switching servers is a good idea, it'll only mess up things even more, and other servers experience loads of problems too, so I don't think it'd be much use.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 11:47

Hm, I think I can sort out the smiley problem though. I've got all the emoticons still stored on my hard disc, so I could easily reupload them and give them the same codes as we used to have.

The avatars seem to have disappeared as well, and now some of the signatures are even gone too, bugger.
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 16:21

Re: Problems with server updates

Well everything seems to be back to normal. I'm very glad freeforums managed to get everything fixed again.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 16:26

So am I!

I've reuploaded the header, and reinstalled all the smileys (and added a couple of new ones) so everything should be working fine again now. :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 21 Jun 2009, 16:52

Clearly you guys have been busy because everything's messed around (and you're doing a fine job), but could I make one tiny request? Right now the only forum layout that's available is Serenity, which I know is the default you guys have been using, but I find it really hard to read/navigate, so I've been using the original forum layout we had before. Now it's gone, and it's made it really hard for me to post and get around. Is there any way you can make the other forum layout available again?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 16:56

Of course, I shall fix that right away. The whole ''update'' has messed things up pretty badly, so it took me quite a while to get everything back to normal, but clearly I forgot about the lays! Sorry!
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 16:59

They've also changed our whole administration control panel, and they've changed the available layouts too, so I don't know if it's still there. I'll try and see if it's still one of the options, and otherwise I'll add a layout that's similar to the old one.
I found the serenity layout confusing at first, but after a day or so you get used to it.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:01

Maartje wrote:Of course, I shall fix that right away. The whole ''update'' has messed things up pretty badly, so it took me quite a while to get everything back to normal, but clearly I forgot about the lays! Sorry!

Thanks! I'm trying to post here, but it's really discombombulating for me because I can't find anything. I don't imagine you guys are having a lot of fun with this, but you're doing a great job. :hug:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:02

I'm really sorry Timeless, the Silver lay-out is, unfortunately, one of the lays that is removed, so I can't put it back. I'm trying to find a nice replacement, but I really prefer something neutral, and those are hard to find... But Philly is right: you will get used to the Serenity lay.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:06

Maartje wrote:I'm really sorry Timeless, the Silver lay-out is, unfortunately, one of the lays that is removed, so I can't put it back. I'm trying to find a nice replacement, but I really prefer something neutral, and those are hard to find... But Philly is right: you will get used to the Serenity lay.

Darn. I'm sorry to be a pain, but I just can't do a totally white screen--it's just too hard on my eyes. I have real problems with bright screens. I'm getting a headache already... :crybaby:

You can't just throw the lot of layouts up and let me poke at them, can you? I'm not picky about the banner looking nice or anything--just something that's reasonably intuitive.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:08

Aw, I can see the problem darling. We'll come up with something not that white, promise!

Anyway - I see they've used the updates as an excuse to add another ad to the forum... I'm so fed up with Freeforums at this point, it's really temptive to create a new forum hosted by an other server right now.
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:09

I've installed the subsilver layout again, it's had an upgrade too so it's not exactly the same, but close.

Edit
Oh and Maartje, can you add the logo to that layout again, since you're the only one that has it saved on your computer?

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:10

Maartje wrote:Aw, I can see the problem darling. We'll come up with something not that white, promise!

Anyway - I see they've used the updates as an excuse to add another ad to the forum... I'm so fed up with Freeforums at this point, it's really temptive to create a new forum hosted by an other server right now.

Thanks. I really hate to be a complainer, but it's either this, or I can't post as often, and I'd hate that because I'm having a lot of fun here. :happy:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:26

Maartje, I'm sorry but I don't like this blue layout. I'd rather go back to serenity.
And I had just added the subsilver layout again for Timeless, and now I see it's gone again.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:45

Both subsilver and Anna layouts worked great guys. Both those options will work. Thank you! My eyes thank you! :hug:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:47

I removed the Subsilver lay-out because I thought I had accidentally installed it: I didn't realize you had done so.

The blue, Anna, lay-out is gone.

For the Subsilver: I really can't do a logo for that one. It requires a banner of 1200 pixels wide x 100 heigh, and there's simply no picture that I can use.

I will try to create another banner for a lay that you both do like, but it might take me some time.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:49

Maartje wrote:I removed the Subsilver lay-out because I thought I had accidentally installed it: I didn't realize you had done so.

The blue, Anna, lay-out is gone.

For the Subsilver: I really can't do a logo for that one. It requires a banner of 1200 pixels wide x 100 heigh, and there's simply no picture that I can use.

I will try to create another banner for a lay that you both do like, but it might take me some time.

If the Anna layout is easier in terms of logo, do go back to it. Don't go to any trouble on my account. I liked the Anna just fine.
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:50

That's weird about those logos. So annoying that they've even upgraded existing layouts. Ah well..

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 17:51

But Phil doesn't like that one, and I do not want to add a lay-out that somebody finds totally horrible...

Sorry for snapping by the way, I don't know quite what's wrong with me lately...
Next

Return to What's new