Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Purdey and Mike Gambit

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Apr 2009, 00:11

Re: Purdey and Mike Gambit

Philippa wrote:*stays tuned*
Trust me, I'm not going anywhere :grin: :lol:

I'll bet you're not. :lol: I'm hoping to write something tonight, but I don't know if I'll manage it, sooo...

Teaser! :grin:

Gambit smiled a slow, lazy smile that she’d come to recognize, the one that made her feel all warm and funny in her stomach. In a good way.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Apr 2009, 00:14

*melts*

ahaha I'm just such an easy target, aren't I? You just post 1 line, and I've melted away into a little puddle on the floor :lolol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Apr 2009, 00:17

Philippa wrote:*melts*

ahaha I'm just such an easy target, aren't I? You just post 1 line, and I've melted away into a little puddle on the floor :lolol:

Gambit induces a lot of melting, and why not? He's sweet when you get right down to it. Which is why I have to write Purdey to quit stringing him along already. Let's just say in this plotline, the tides are turned a little...
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2009, 18:48

I'm just going through Timeless' photobucket account, and I stumbled upon this: one of the ultimate Purdey/Gambit scenes

Watched this 2 days ago, made me :giggle:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Jun 2009, 18:49

Aw, the swan boat, yes, that is most definitely a great scene! :hearteyes: Thanks for bringing that one up!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 18:51

Philippa wrote:I'm just going through Timeless' photobucket account, and I stumbled upon this: one of the ultimate Purdey/Gambit scenes

Watched this 2 days ago, made me :giggle:

I love Forward Base. One of the best season 2 episodes. Gambit and Purdey bicker like the old married couple they should be. "It's definitely Lake Ontario. Probably. Why would he be heading for the lake?"

"I don't know, Purdey, ask me another." (I use that line all the time, btw). :lmao:

I'm glad you're enjoying the account. :great:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:17

Alright, I've given in: I just had to watch Forward Base again. Here's something to swoon for you too:

''We gotta make it look good...'' Well, don't worry Mike. Pretty obvious they're definitely not discussing swans here!
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:22

I love you for posting these caps :hearteyes:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:28

Maartje wrote:Alright, I've given in: I just had to watch Forward Base again. Here's something to swoon for you too:

''We gotta make it look good...'' Well, don't worry Mike. Pretty obvious they're definitely not discussing swans here!

I love that scene, particularly because Gareth does his eyebrow waggle. rabidsamfan wrote a tiny piece about that scene, to go with *her* timeline, and I love it. Love the scene, love the episode, love Purdey and Gambit. (And really, isn't there something sweet about how much taller he is than her when she's not wearing heels? :wub: )
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:32

You gotta admit that - even though they're pretending to be a couple - they do a bloody good job! :cloud9:
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:35

Would convince me. Especially if you count in all the bickering like an old married couple :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:42

Maartje wrote:You gotta admit that - even though they're pretending to be a couple - they do a bloody good job! :cloud9:

With all the bickering, I'd have trouble not believing them. This episode, of course, features the argument from last Tuesday, which is not only super-old-married-couple, but features Purdey reiterating Gambit's argument about no man ever up and leaving a woman: "Not if he really cared about her." :wub:

rsf thinks Gambit actually kissed her in that scene. If he did, this fic bit just sums it up:

It was probably the most chaste stolen kiss in the history of stolen kisses. Just a brush of his lips against hers, really, that didn't last long enough for her to be able to decide whether to encourage him or step on his foot. In fact, by the time she realized that he actually had kissed her he'd already gone back to watching the Russian agent in the swan boat.

Purdey turned her face away, just to prove she hadn't been affected, but she let her head rest against his shoulder. They did have to "make it look good" after all, and with Gambit's arm holding her so close there weren't that many options.

Besides, it was a warm shoulder, a broad, well-muscled shoulder, a comfortable shoulder – and it was her own fault she'd encouraged Gambit by using it as a shield in the first place. There were more options than the "distracted lovers" cover – especially when you were standing on a bridge over open water – but it had seemed so natural to step towards him and to wrap her arms around him that she had just done it, and now, somehow, she was going to have to live with the consequences.
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:51

So cute!! :wub:
From which fic is that? Is it up on ff.net?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Jun 2009, 19:54

That was lovely! Is it ''just'' a drabble, or a scene from a fanfic?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 20:08

Maartje wrote:That was lovely! Is it ''just'' a drabble, or a scene from a fanfic?

It's not really either. rabidsamfan created a TNA timeline for her own fic purposes back in 2007 (the great TNA fic year when her, me, and Khell, pretty much wrote Purdey and Gambit and Steed solid). She took all the episodes and worked out the order that they made sense for her in terms of the development of the Purdey/Gambit relationship, culminating in a Canadian-set fic called "New Found Land," which I offered to help beta (being a Canuck and all), and which started us off e-mailing (it was never finished, but we all live in hope). Anyway, along with her musings and notes, she did a bunch of tiny little scenes that were meant to finish or expand scenes from the episodes. That was one of them. Lovely, innit? :d
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2009, 20:12

Really lovely, it fits perfectly with the episode :wub:
And let's hope that the fic you mentioned will get finished someday!

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 03 Jun 2009, 21:10

Ah, all those little scenes ... *fond memories* And this one's especially nice.

Btw, the so-called chase in the swan boats ... slowest chase I've ever seen. Ever. Brilliant. Made my friend crack up. (I visited her over Easter and showed her some New Avengers episodes. "Forward Base" was among them. I actually did only show her one or two to get started and she actually did ask for more after our Stargate-marathon.)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jun 2009, 02:22

Khell wrote:Ah, all those little scenes ... *fond memories* And this one's especially nice.

Btw, the so-called chase in the swan boats ... slowest chase I've ever seen. Ever. Brilliant. Made my friend crack up. (I visited her over Easter and showed her some New Avengers episodes. "Forward Base" was among them. I actually did only show her one or two to get started and she actually did ask for more after our Stargate-marathon.)

"Step on it, Gambit."

"I am stepping on it."

(Well, at least if they're going slow, they won't crash, right? Although I'll bet Gambit could crash a swan. :wink: )

The sight of them in the swan alone is enough to reduce me to giggles. Then they start talking and it just gets worse. I love watching Gareth's expressions when they talk to the little guy on the air mattress--priceless! :lol: Also love watching him while Purdey says how they're definitely probably absolutely heading for Lake Ontario. Maybe. :wink:

(I also love Stargate. :heart: )
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 04 Jun 2009, 07:29

Oh, that little guy was hilarious! The lake's that way. Sometimes. If they wait long enough, it might catch up with them. The looks on both their faces! :lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jun 2009, 16:38

Khell wrote:Oh, that little guy was hilarious! The lake's that way. Sometimes. If they wait long enough, it might catch up with them. The looks on both their faces! :lolol:

"It could be a couple of feet up that way. Or it could be a couple of miles. If you hurry you might catch it. If not, wait, it'll catch up with you." :lolol: You have to give air-mattress guy credit for taking the whole thing in stride ("Fishing? They're in the trees, you know."), while Purdey and Gambit look so incredibly confused (Gareth's good at looking bemused). I also love the bit where they have to explain to Steed about the guy who walked into the lake and reappeared in different clothes, shot. Steed gets more annoyed the farther they get, and they wince along like a couple of schoolkids. "No, really, that's what happened. Really. Purdey will vouch for me!" :lol:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 04 Jun 2009, 22:39

What was it Purdey said when Steed said the guy drowned?
"Oh no, whatever gave you that idea? He was shot."
With a tone kinda like "silly man, how COULD you assume someone who walked into a lake would have died by drowning?" :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jun 2009, 05:43

Khell wrote:What was it Purdey said when Steed said the guy drowned?
With a tone kinda like "silly man, how COULD you assume someone who walked into a lake would have died by drowning?" :lmao:

That's classic Purdey. :lmao: Clearly she lives in her own little world, where fish logically nest in trees and marshmallows go with anything. You know something's wrong when even Steed's looking at her oddly--she can out-eccentric him. That can't be a good sign. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jun 2009, 10:27

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Khell wrote:What was it Purdey said when Steed said the guy drowned?

That's classic Purdey. :lmao: Clearly she lives in her own little world, where fish logically nest in trees and marshmallows go with anything. You know something's wrong when even Steed's looking at her oddly--she can out-eccentric him. That can't be a good sign. :wink:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

She doesn't seem at all surprised that the man says the lake might catch up with them, even though Gambit is giving him a strange look :lolol:

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jun 2009, 15:22

Timeless and I do have the theory - nope, actually, I'm convinced that, if you compare human Purdey to non-human Sapphire, then Sapphire's actually the more "normal" one ... :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 05 Jun 2009, 19:37

Haha, good theory. :lol:

All the parts Joanna have played are a bit... odd. Purdey has a wicked sense of humor, and she won't often be stunned into silence. I love Purdey - she's liberated but very femine, and the kind of super woman but the very sensitive type at the very same time.
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers