Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Purdey and Mike Gambit

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Nov 2008, 19:13

Purdey and Mike Gambit

We don't know about the Avengers themselves, and that's why I probably like the thing that is going on between Purdey and Mike Gambit..

I love it how he always tries to ask her to go out for dinner and they end up having some kind of flirty chat:

Definitely the most appealing duo in the whole Avengers history.. :lol:

Don't we just love them?
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Nov 2008, 00:21

Re: Purdey and Mike Gambit

*swoon*
They're just so cute together! And the eternal flirtation, fabulous. Just like a 2nd Steed and Emma Peel. With the only difference ofcourse that Gambit's much more obvious about his intentions that Steed ever was towards Emma.
They would've made such a l-l-l-l-l-lovely couple :heart:
And the chemistry between Joanna and Gareth (bless him) on set was just amazing :wub:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Nov 2008, 15:40

Philippa wrote:*swoon*
And the chemistry between Joanna and Gareth (bless him) on set was just amazing :wub:

Yeah true, between the whole three even. Her first big part, she must have been so nervous at times, but was definitely something going on between the three: I think they all really enjoyed filming it.. :D

You're so right, they'd have made a perfect couple, but on the other hand, the whole flirtation going on between them is somehow more realistic..
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Nov 2008, 23:11

Charm wrote:
You're so right, they'd have made a perfect couple, but on the other hand, the whole flirtation going on between them is somehow more realistic..

Oh definitely, that's the whole point. If they had gotten together, it wouldn't have been half as interesting anymore. And that's exactly where more contemporary series go wrong, they let the main characters get married, and soon after that the series end because people lose interest in the series.
No, it was just great the way it was. And if people want the characters to go a little further, that's what fanfiction's for :P :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 12:16

Philippa wrote:Oh definitely, that's the whole point. If they had gotten together, it wouldn't have been half as interesting anymore.

True, it'd have been boring and unrealistic. But since there's not much personality going on when it comes to the characters (we hardly know anything about them), it's great to have a little bit of personal interaction like this. Did you notice she only calls him 'Mike' when they're in some sort of danger? Cute. (by the way - what do we know about Purdey's last name?)
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Nov 2008, 16:15

I believe it's Bryde, but I don't remember if I know that from one of the episodes, or if I got that info from some fanfic.
But she doesn't wanna use her last name. She introduces herself as Purdey, just Purdey :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 17:24

I haven't heard her mentioning any name at all, but I'll pay attention to it! (do you actually have Avengers fanfic?!)

Philippa wrote:But she doesn't wanna use her last name. She introduces herself as Purdey, just Purdey.

Yeah, I noticed that, but it sounds funny in comparison to all the 'Gambit' and 'Steed' that's going on.. :P
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Nov 2008, 19:31

http://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Avengers
6 pages full of delicious fanfiction :D

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Nov 2008, 20:31

Haha, thanks! *starts reading* Did you ever write a fanfic btw? :P
<<

Philippa

Post 14 Nov 2008, 00:51

I started 1, but I'm suffering from major writer's block.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 Dec 2008, 07:03

Philippa wrote:I believe it's Bryde, but I don't remember if I know that from one of the episodes, or if I got that info from some fanfic.
But she doesn't wanna use her last name. She introduces herself as Purdey, just Purdey :lol:

We never do get told Purdey's last name, or even whether or not "Purdey" is her first or last name (although I tend to think first because her uncle, mother, and Larry all call her "Purdey" and I sort of doubt they'd be using her last name). I'm afraid you got "Bryde" from my fics, Philippa. I'm corrupting your mind. :lol: I called her that because I needed a last name, and since Joanna is 3/4's Scottish, I thought I'd give Purdey a good Scots name, albeit one in keeping with the Avengers trend of giving its characters names that a) you can look up in the dictionary, and b) reflect the character in some way (Purdey being the bride who never was after breaking her engagement to Larry).

Anyway, as my fic likely makes clear, I'm fascinated by the Purdey/Gambit relationship. I think it's possibly the oddest in the whole history of the series. Purdey and Gambit have a tendency to act like an old married couple, and while Purdey keeps Gambit at arm's length, she very much acts as though she has a claim on him, and treats him to glare whenever he shows interest in anyone else. The odd thing is Gambit tends to look guilty when she does.

I think one of the things I find appealing about Gambit in particular is how serious he seems to be when it comes to a relationship with Purdey. I think he wants to give it a serious go, as opposed to just a fling. There are lots of subtle hints in that direction. If you watch "Forward Base," pay attention when Purdey brings up their argument from "last Tuesday." The topic was "fickleness of mind," and Purdey's opinion was that men were fickle and changeable in their interests, while Gambit said something along the lines of "no man would up and leave a woman, not if he really cared about her."

Hmmm.... :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Dec 2008, 08:42

Yeah I was wondering whether I'd actually heard that somewhere, or if I got it from your fanfic! Because I couldn't actually remember hearing it, but then again, I've only seen some of the episodes once.
So now the mystery's solved :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Dec 2008, 15:49

I think I've seen you on Youtube, your fanvideos are fantastic! I also enjoyed your fanfic, haven't finished reading the whole thing yet, but I soon will.

Anyway - interesting theories on the Mike/Purdey thing! There's definitely something going on between the two of them, but just the fact that they're not in an actual relationship makes it much more interesting..
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Dec 2008, 20:14

Charm wrote:I think I've seen you on Youtube, your fanvideos are fantastic! I also enjoyed your fanfic, haven't finished reading the whole thing yet, but I soon will.

Anyway - interesting theories on the Mike/Purdey thing! There's definitely something going on between the two of them, but just the fact that they're not in an actual relationship makes it much more interesting..

If you're Charmredux over there, then yes, you have! That'd be me:

http://ca.youtube.com/user/timelessapeel

Glad you enjoyed what I've gotten up so far. I do have more ideas for videos but I haven't had the time to realise any of them. One of these days...

The main thing about the Purdey/Gambit relationship is that it all hinges on what Purdey decides. Gambit's made it pretty clear on a number of occasions that he's interested in taking things further, but because he respects her boundaries, he backs off whenever she doesn't reciprocated (that bit in Last of the Cybernauts comes to mind, where he covers her hand with his, and once she's slid it away, he doesn't pursue it, and things carry on as normal). So the ball's always in Purdey's court, so to speak. Any decision is going to be hers alone. I think the thing that can grate on poor Mike is that, while she won't do anything, she sort of expects him to hold off on taking an interest in anyone else--sort of "Well, I'm not interested just now, but no one else can have him either!" Terribly unfair, but then Purdey makes up her own rules as she goes along, doesn't she?

The bit of information Mike doesn't have is about her engagement to Larry, which I think is the main reason that she's leery of getting too serious with anyone--it blew up in her face last time. It's a good thing I've got fic to explore this with, because I'd have to write an awful lot of essays otherwise!
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Apr 2009, 17:51

During my afternoon class today, I woke up all of a sudden and realised I had been daydreaming about Purdey and Gambit for the past 10 minutes. Mainly about the Christmas story about them that Timeless wrote, and about what could possibly happen after that. Missed a big part of the grammar explanations of that class, but my daydreaming was highly enjoyable to say the least :grin: :whistle:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Apr 2009, 20:04

Philippa wrote:During my afternoon class today, I woke up all of a sudden and realised I had been daydreaming about Purdey and Gambit for the past 10 minutes. Mainly about the Christmas story about them that Timeless wrote, and about what could possibly happen after that. Missed a big part of the grammar explanations of that class, but my daydreaming was highly enjoyable to say the least :grin: :whistle:

Naughty! But I'm flattered anyway. :d Which Christmas fic--"Merry Christmas, Mr. Gambit" or "Silent Night" (because the latter has loads of possibilities...)? I imagine it was enjoyable, though--nothing beats a good Purdey/Gambit daydream in class. How do you think I get fic ideas? :d They're just great together--I can't wait to have more time to write some very pivotal moments in their relationship.
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Apr 2009, 20:21

Silent Night!
I mean, I think that's the one. Is that the one where they get stuck with their car?
Because that's the one I was thinking of :brows:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Apr 2009, 20:46

Philippa wrote:Silent Night!
I mean, I think that's the one. Is that the one where they get stuck with their car?
Because that's the one I was thinking of :brows:

Yep that's it! The car one where they steam up the windows... :brows: I'm fond of it myself. Of course, what happens once they get home is also interesting...

Wait until I get to write teh Vignette and you see what happens on Gambit's birthday... :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Apr 2009, 20:50

Yup that's the one ahaha. I was just wondering if their steaming up of the windows could have some...how shall I put it. repercussions? :lol: :whistle:

Oohh I wanna know what happens on Gambit's birthday!! Can't wait for that :squee:
You got me all excited now ahaha.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Apr 2009, 06:35

Philippa wrote:Yup that's the one ahaha. I was just wondering if their steaming up of the windows could have some...how shall I put it. repercussions? :lol: :whistle:

Oohh I wanna know what happens on Gambit's birthday!! Can't wait for that :squee:
You got me all excited now ahaha.

Ah, yes, little repurcussions from window steaming (those scenes were so fun to write). :brows: Well, you're kind of close, in a roundabout way. So I'll just tease you with Gambit's birthday again, and hope I can write it soon... :whistle:

I love this topic. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Apr 2009, 09:59

Oh so I'm a good guesser eh?
Aaahh the suspence is killing me :lolol:

We need a smiley that bites its nails :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Apr 2009, 17:03

Philippa wrote:Oh so I'm a good guesser eh?
Aaahh the suspence is killing me :lolol:

We need a smiley that bites its nails :lol:

Bite bite bite.

You know I'm good at teasers. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Apr 2009, 19:35

Oh you certainly are good at teasers, amongst other things! :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Apr 2009, 19:43

Philippa wrote:Oh you certainly are good at teasers, amongst other things! :lol:

Yes indeedy! Stay tuned for some (hopefully) swoonworthy scenes, mild angst, and joy. :d All the good ingredients for the Purdey/Gambit relationship.
<<

Philippa

Post 09 Apr 2009, 00:05

*stays tuned*
Trust me, I'm not going anywhere :grin: :lol:

Next

Return to The New Avengers