Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Purdey's romantic inclinations?

<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 03 Feb 2010, 01:29

Purdey's romantic inclinations?

Did Purdey fancy anyone in TNA? I think Larry from 3 Handed Game came closest? :wink:
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Feb 2010, 01:36

Re: purdey's romantic inclinations?

shill wrote:Did Purdey fancy anyone in TNA? I think Larry from 3 Handed Game came closest? :wink:

What, aside from Steed and Gambit? :wink: Purdey had a lot of would-be paramours, but how far any of them got was another matter. There was Larry from Three-Handed, yes, whom she seemed to have some sort of history with, but there was also George Stannard in Eagle's Nest, and the she found Marty Brine in Trap interesting as well. Of course, Purdey was engaged to be married to Larry Doomer until he went off the rails. I tend to think that Purdey was reluctant to get involved with anyone because of her terrible experience with Larry, and so a lot of her relationships consisted mainly of flirting and the occasional dinner--they never seemed to get any further than that. Of course, Purdey had a Tara Kingish, hero-worship, infatuation with Steed, but I like to think that in the end it was Gambit who she was really interested in. Her perpetual jealousy of his dates and tendency to drop him the occasional bit of encouragement smack of someone who was interested but too damaged from her last failed love affair to seal the deal.
<<

shill

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 03 Feb 2010, 02:05

which dates was she jealous of? the russian countess from to catch a rat think?
The New Avengers & Miami Vice Rule!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Feb 2010, 18:01

Re: Purdey's romantic inclinations?

Hm, I think she's always a tiny bit jealous of Gambit's dates. She probably knows he would give them all up for her, but just like Timeless said: I always feel like she doesn't want to become that attached to a guy again. The two guys she badly flirted with was the guy they were supposed to be watching from the car (''First class? You're giving him top grades then!") and Marty, the guy she was supposed to have a dinner date with before he got killed. But no, I don't it's ever anything serious.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Feb 2010, 18:44

Re: Purdey's romantic inclinations?

Mara wrote:Hm, I think she's always a tiny bit jealous of Gambit's dates. She probably knows he would give them all up for her, but just like Timeless said: I always feel like she doesn't want to become that attached to a guy again. The two guys she badly flirted with was the guy they were supposed to be watching from the car (''First class? You're giving him top grades then!") and Marty, the guy she was supposed to have a dinner date with before he got killed. But no, I don't it's ever anything serious.

shill wrote:which dates was she jealous of? the russian countess from to catch a rat think?

Purdey was clearly miffed when Gambit took up with Dr. LeParge, the French pathologist in K is for Kill--she gave him a look when she first saw her, and she drags him off when he arrives with her at the cafe, even if it is under the pretense of "work." She also looks rather upset when she hears about Gambit's little black book (and all that it implies) in both Sleeper (she gives him a good night kiss afterwards, interestingly) and Faces, thinks it's vital that she come along to chaperone Gambit when he's off to squeeze "the lovely Olga," seems rather less-than-pleased when he mentions his upcoming date in Dead Men are Dangerous, and is positively outraged when she catches him doing some nude modelling for Helen McKay in Three-Handed Game. She's not even terribly subtle about making her displeasure known. No, she definitely doesn't want anyone else horning in. :wink:

But again, as Maartje has reiterated, Purdey's been badly burned in the past, and so I always interpret her actions as wanting to keep from everyone else, but being too afraid to actually try things with him for himself. Steed, on the other hand, has just as many romances, but Purdey never interferes and/or seems jealous of those, despite her own interest in Steed, which seems to prove to me where her true feelings lie.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 01 Feb 2014, 19:42

shill wrote:which dates was she jealous of? the russian countess from to catch a rat think?

Gambit saying it was an' undercover job' certainly silences Purdey ,who appears to think Gambit operates the same way she does :thumb: Mind you, I think she was probably more jealous of Emma Peel ! Purdey called her Mrs. as if to remind Gambit not to be harbouring any lustful thoughts about a married woman or maybe...? Purdey wasn't shy of demonstrating her fighting skills to Gambit against the Angels of Death :thumb: Purdey couldn't be too sure of taking Emma down like she did the Angels of Death (Steed would verify this) :wink: I suspect Purdey's interest in Steed was a cover for inaction :whistle:

Return to The New Avengers