Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Purdey

<<

PatsyStone

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 03 Jun 2008, 08:50

Purdey

You Know Joanna Done All Of Her Own Stunts Accept From

Riding a Motorbike :P :laugh:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Jun 2008, 09:17

yeah ahahah
as she said on parkinson
i couldn't ride a motorbike, since they only gave me about 15 minutes to learn it

can't blame her ahaha.
she did however do that helicopter stunt, and they weren't even insured ahaha :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Feb 2009, 13:26

Re: Purdey

I found this very cute review on Amazon that I just had to share:

Joanna Lovely (sorry, I mean Lumley) is the sexy, karate-kicking super woman, Purdey - she knows how to make a fine herb omelette and field strip an automatic pistol in a matter of seconds (these are the two main qualities I've always looked for in a woman)! All the three leads are extremely good in their roles but, for me, Joanna really stands out. Not only is she incredibly gorgeous, and looks good from every camera angle, she is also a very fine actress with a remarkable CV.

Haha, how true is that? :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 04 Feb 2009, 18:00

OMG I read that too one time! A-MA-ZING!!
That's such a fantastic description :wub: :heart:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 May 2009, 12:56

Something I find quite odd is that a lot of people don't seem to know Joanna as the fourth Avenger girl. They've been watching the show in the sixties and know the leading lady was Emma Peel, but they don't seem to realise it wasn't just Diana Rigg...

For instance my dad, on holiday in Berlin when I was watching some TNA. ''Hey, that's John Steed. The Avengers, I used to watch that back then.'' *pause for a couple of minutes* ''No don't turn it off, I like it... Hold on, is THAT Joanna Lumley?!'' (usually followed by ''woh, she is so pretty!'')
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 May 2009, 17:01

Maartje wrote:Something I find quite odd is that a lot of people don't seem to know Joanna as the fourth Avenger girl. They've been watching the show in the sixties and know the leading lady was Emma Peel, but they don't seem to realise it wasn't just Diana Rigg...

For instance my dad, on holiday in Berlin when I was watching some TNA. ''Hey, that's John Steed. The Avengers, I used to watch that back then.'' *pause for a couple of minutes* ''No don't turn it off, I like it... Hold on, is THAT Joanna Lumley?!'' (usually followed by ''woh, she is so pretty!'')

Not only that, both a lot of people are unaware that Steed was originally partnered with a man. A lot of this is due to the fact that the series wasn't sold overseas until the Emma era--the Keel era was only ever aired in Britian, and only a few countries picked it up starting with the Gales, Canada and Australia among them. But it was season 4 with the black and white Emmas where the US, and most countries, tuned in. In fact, I've read articles where people claim the show ran for only 86 episodes, which is clearly what you get when you add up the last three seasons--most people are just unaware that someone came before Emma. Tara didn't last as long, and didn't make the same splash (except in France, where they just adored her, largely due to the popularity of the woman who dubbed Tara's French dialogue). TNA is even harder to get people to remember because it came afterwards, ran for a shorter period, and never achieved the same cult status, so a lot of people don't remember Joanna as Purdey, even though it sold to loads of countries. However, it does depend on how old the watcher was--children of the sixties saw the Avengers, but there's a whole generation of Avengers fans that were kids in the seventies, and for them, TNA was the Avengers, no ifs, ands, or buts. They were just a bit puzzled by that "New" in the title, and had to have their parents patiently explain to them that Steed had had a lot of other partners awhile back. :lol: So it depends who you ask--there's a whole set out there who were in love with Purdey, not Emma, and worshipped Gambit, I promise you.
<<

Philippa

Post 04 May 2009, 20:48

Yeah according to 'The Avengers Forever' website, the Cathy era was also shown in Spain, but that was probably the only non-English speaking country where it was shown. Most people only know Emma, which is of course a great era, but it's a shame that the other eras don't get that much attention...

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 May 2009, 02:13

Philippa wrote:Yeah according to 'The Avengers Forever' website, the Cathy era was also shown in Spain, but that was probably the only non-English speaking country where it was shown. Most people only know Emma, which is of course a great era, but it's a shame that the other eras don't get that much attention...

It is, but I think it's true that the Emma era was the epitome of the show, and the fact that Tara and TNA got just as much airtime and aren't as well-remembered is a testament to how good Diana and Patrick and the writing was at the time--just a magic combo there. But that's part of the reason I focus on TNA--Emma gets lots of attention. TNA was dumped on all the time. There was so little to read about it, I went poking because I just loved the Purdey/Gambit dynamic so much. Now TNA is much better loved. And Joanna's activities don't hurt its profile a jot. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 May 2009, 00:18

It's true. Acting-wise, Patrick and Diana were a match made in heaven. And it shows. But in my opinion it seems a bit harsh to just deny the other eras because of that. Though different, in my opinion the chemistry between Gareth and Joanna is in very close proximity to the chemistry between Patrick and Diana.
But hey, not everyone can be as open minded as the die hard fans :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 May 2009, 00:20

Oh, absolutely - the chemistry between the characters and the actors who played them was great, but doesn't that also go for TNA?! Especially Patrick seemed to be fond of all the girls he'd been working with, whether it was Honor, Diana, Linda or Joanna.

Oh well, relating to the die-hards, I can partly understand why they're so defensive about the Emma Peel era, not at least to say prejudiced about the other ones. (after all, I'm the same when it coms to remaking AbFab)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 May 2009, 00:34

Philippa wrote:It's true. Acting-wise, Patrick and Diana were a match made in heaven. And it shows. But in my opinion it seems a bit harsh to just deny the other eras because of that. Though different, in my opinion the chemistry between Gareth and Joanna is in very close proximity to the chemistry between Patrick and Diana.
But hey, not everyone can be as open minded as the die hard fans :lol:

Oh no, I think Gareth and Joanna had the strongest chemistry before or since Patrick and Diana. But Emma's popularity really stems from the fact that she was the highest profile more than anything else, acting or otherwise, so she's the only one they were ever exposed to. People who have seen more of the series tend to love other eras just as much or more--some people actually like Tara better, others favour the Gales, and there are quite a few who love TNA, either now, or because that was the Avengers for them in the seventies. The Emmas get the most airtime to this day, so it's natural the average person familiar with the show will cite Emma as a favourite--they haven't seen the rest!

But really the partnerships stemmed from how the actors got along, and while Patrick liked all his leading ladies, he just had the strongest connection with Diana, and it shows. Gareth and Joanna were also very close and stayed that way until Gareth's death--they bonded very quickly and that's reflected in their characters. I think other than Steed and Emma, Purdey and Gambit had the best chemistry. They do a lot of acting with their eyes, so you can really see unspoken messages and connections zinging back and forth.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Jun 2009, 16:36

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I think other than Steed and Emma, Purdey and Gambit had the best chemistry. They do a lot of acting with their eyes, so you can really see unspoken messages and connections zinging back and forth.

Oh absolutely, very well put by the way. I've got nothing more to add, because that feeling of 'chemistry' I get while watching the Emma Peel era, but also TNA. Lovely!

Why on earth didn't they give Purdey a last name by the way? What's the story behind that? Were they so fed up with the Miss Gale, Mrs. Peel and Miss King that they just referred to her as ''just Purdey''? :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Jun 2009, 16:49

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I think other than Steed and Emma, Purdey and Gambit had the best chemistry. They do a lot of acting with their eyes, so you can really see unspoken messages and connections zinging back and forth.

Oh absolutely, very well put by the way. I've got nothing more to add, because that feeling of 'chemistry' I get while watching the Emma Peel era, but also TNA. Lovely!

Why on earth didn't they give Purdey a last name by the way? What's the story behind that? Were they so fed up with the Miss Gale, Mrs. Peel and Miss King that they just referred to her as ''just Purdey''? :lol:

Thanks! I really notice Gareth and Joanna communicating a lot with their eyes. You can tell they knew each other very well because they've got this way with each other, and so do Patrick and Diana. It makes it a joy to watch.

I don't know quite why they decided to only give Purdey one name. It was originally going to be Charley until they heard about the perfume of the same name, and Joanna thought up Purdey after the shotgun and another model. Some suggest Purdey is meant to be her last name, so it's just "Purdey" the way it's just "Steed" and "Gambit," mister required, but I tend to think it's her first because her family calls her by it, and Charley is clearly a first name. I think they were just trying to be different and unusual.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Jun 2009, 16:56

Oh, a last name, I had not thought of that yet! It seems rather strange though, as - indeed - Charley is clearly a girl's first name. Anyway, it wasn't so unusual for the show to let the cast make up the names of their own characters: wasn't it Linda who came up with ''Tara King'' too?

I suppose it didn't matter that much. After all, what's in a name? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Jun 2009, 16:57

Or perhaps they couldn't come up with a good last name to go with Purdey, so they decided to only give her a first name. That goes well with the 70's though, when everyone started calling each other by their first names. I remember my parents telling me that they were even allowed to call their teachers by their first names back then.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Jun 2009, 17:20

Maartje wrote:Oh, a last name, I had not thought of that yet! It seems rather strange though, as - indeed - Charley is clearly a girl's first name. Anyway, it wasn't so unusual for the show to let the cast make up the names of their own characters: wasn't it Linda who came up with ''Tara King'' too?

I suppose it didn't matter that much. After all, what's in a name? :lol:

Linda did indeed come up with "Tara King": Tara for Scarlet O'Hara's house in Gone With the Wind, and King for "King and Country."

I still think Purdey is her first name (after all, her mother, uncle, and ex-fiance all called her by it). I think they were always going for a one name character, maybe because they were trying to emphasise that Purdey didn't need to be a "Mrs" anymore to hang around with Steed and Gambit. Or just to make her unique--"just Purdey" is very enigmatic and keeps you interested. Anyway, originally her last name could have easily been Steed. She was created as Steed's niece to begin with. Which makes me wonder what Steed would have thought of Gambit always trying to get fresh with his beloved niece. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Jun 2009, 17:26

Timeless A-Peel wrote:She was created as Steed's niece to begin with. Which makes me wonder what Steed would have thought of Gambit always trying to get fresh with his beloved niece.

Was she? See, I keep learning new things from you, thanks Timeless! :d And yes, Gambit trying to secude Steed's beloved niece would have been quite an interesting situation, haha. (at least you could write an interesting fiction, bearing this in mind) How many more plots like this have they actually talked about?!

It does seem rather odd that even a fiancee would call this girlfriend by her last name, so I think we can be pretty sure she's called Purdey. Something I did like about those last names was that one could very easily judge the situation: they'd only call each other ''Emma'' or ''John'' if the situation was really serious, and that sort of disappeared in TNA.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Jun 2009, 17:36

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:She was created as Steed's niece to begin with. Which makes me wonder what Steed would have thought of Gambit always trying to get fresh with his beloved niece.

Was she? See, I keep learning new things from you, thanks Timeless! :d And yes, Gambit trying to secude Steed's beloved niece would have been quite an interesting situation, haha. (at least you could write an interesting fiction, bearing this in mind) How many more plots like this have they actually talked about?!

It does seem rather odd that even a fiancee would call this girlfriend by her last name, so I think we can be pretty sure she's called Purdey. Something I did like about those last names was that one could very easily judge the situation: they'd only call each other ''Emma'' or ''John'' if the situation was really serious, and that sort of disappeared in TNA.

That's me! The walking Avengers trivia machine. I know much too much about this show. :lol:

Yes, very early conceptions of Purdey's character had her as Steed's niece, but I believe these were abandoned long before they began writing scripts, certainly long before Joanna was cast and Charley was renamed. So no plots created for that, although an early draft of Last of the Cybernauts has Purdey and Steed pretty chummy... But I can just imagine fatherly Steed glaring at Gambit when he catches poor Mike looking at her legs again. :rolleyes: You could get some AU stuff out of that, couldn't you? Wait...no more plot bunnies! :lol:

I think Larry calling her "Purdey" pretty much clinches it as her first name. Steed and Emma actually never, ever called each other by their first names (Except that "Emma, thanks" in Forget-Me-Not), unless you count the occasional quip about "Dame Emma" or something. Maybe two or three times in the whole series, whereas Purdey calls Gambit "Mike" when she's being more casual with him (and Steed calls him Mike, too, when they're off-duty), or when she's worried about him, and Gambit calls Steed "John" once, which is the only time any Avenger has ever called Steed that! So they actually played with the name thing a bit more in TNA than in the original.
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Jun 2009, 17:38

But then there's this other discussion that Steed supposedly only has sisters, so even if Purdey was his niece, her last name could never have been Steed. Ah well, it'll keep our minds busy :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Jun 2009, 17:40

Philippa wrote:But then there's this other discussion that Steed supposedly only has sisters, so even if Purdey was his niece, her last name could never have been Steed. Ah well, it'll keep our minds busy :lol:

Depends whether you take the Stage Play's version of events as canon (it claims Steed has seven older sisters). We know he must have some siblings, though, because he's always doing things for nieces and nephews. I'm glad they didn't make Purdey a relation in the end, though.
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Jun 2009, 17:54

I'm glad about that too. It just seems un-Avengerish for 2 of the main characters to be related. The whole dynamic would've been different.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Jun 2009, 18:13

Philippa wrote:I'm glad about that too. It just seems un-Avengerish for 2 of the main characters to be related. The whole dynamic would've been different.

It definitely wouldn't have been the same. But...oh, dear, you've got me thinking. What if Steed and Gambit were related? What if Mike was Steed's son from some one-night stand with a Welsh girl during the war. There's some resemblance: Dark hair, tall, Irish ancestry...I think poor Gambit would have a nervous breakdown. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Jun 2009, 18:37

Haha, now stop the plotting darling, otherwise you'll keep on writing TNA plots till your eighty years old! :wink:

But the thought of Purdey and Steed actually being related to each other is quite... scary! Indeed imagine the funny looks Steed would give Gambit, nor would we have any of the lovely, rather flirtatious scenes, like for instance the one in Dead Men Are Dangerous. I do love that chemistry that's going on between Purdey and Gambit, but that little bit of tention between her and Steed's quite good too at times.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Jun 2009, 18:48

Maartje wrote:Haha, now stop the plotting darling, otherwise you'll keep on writing TNA plots till your eighty years old! :wink:

But the thought of Purdey and Steed actually being related to each other is quite... scary! Indeed imagine the funny looks Steed would give Gambit, nor would we have any of the lovely, rather flirtatious scenes, like for instance the one in Dead Men Are Dangerous. I do love that chemistry that's going on between Purdey and Gambit, but that little bit of tention between her and Steed's quite good too at times.

I can't help it. I keep thinking of these things. :lol:

It would be weird having Steed and Purdey related. And it is funner to have Steed and Purdey able to quip back and forth as two adults, rather than uncle and niece. Although maybe their relationship would be more interesting that way? Steed and Purdey don't do a lot for me, so maybe it would have been more fun to watch Steed try to protect Purdey's honour from Gambit. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Jun 2009, 21:20

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:I'm glad about that too. It just seems un-Avengerish for 2 of the main characters to be related. The whole dynamic would've been different.

It definitely wouldn't have been the same. But...oh, dear, you've got me thinking. What if Steed and Gambit were related? What if Mike was Steed's son from some one-night stand with a Welsh girl during the war. There's some resemblance: Dark hair, tall, Irish ancestry...I think poor Gambit would have a nervous breakdown. :lol:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
I guess this is how rumours start in real life :lolol:

Next

Return to The New Avengers