Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Sapphire and Steel fanfiction

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Jun 2010, 19:01

Sapphire and Steel fanfiction

I haven't read much S&S fanfiction, save for a little bit by Khell before I ever watched the show, but it is out there, and I've now written one myself.

Kind of.

It's hard to say too much without spoiling it, but I will say that it is a bit unconventional, and that it should appeal to people who aren't even S&S fans, or haven't seen very much of the series. Again, I can't say why without spoiling it. You'll just have to read it to find out. :wink:

For those of you who have seen the series, though, please keep in mind that I haven't finished watching it yet, and when I wrote most of this, I'd seen even less than I have now. This particular fic takes place post-series, and I do know how it ends without having ever seen Assignment 6. But this is the reason I don't like writing fanfic for shows that are either still running or that I haven't seen all of--nothing kills a fic's believability faster than a blantant canon contradiction because someone didn't do their homework. Normally I'd wait until I'd finished the show, but I didn't want to wait and then lose the momentum to write it in the process. So if I've contradicted something blatantly, be forgiving. I did my best with the bits of the canon I do know. ^^

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys it. Again, I think there's a lot there, and that at least some of it ought to appeal to all of you, even non-S&S fans. It's not your conventional fic. Enjoy. :grin:

Carbon Copy by Timeless A-Peel

Also available on Fanfiction.net.
Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on 19 Jun 2010, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Kim

Post 10 Jun 2010, 11:27

Re: Sapphire and Steel Fanfiction

:lmao: Loved it!!!!! You sneaky little thing you. I knew you'd get Gambit in there somehow, some way! I'm having a heck of a time trying to fit Gambit in with Tara's timeline and you, you managed to get him into the past, present, and future!

Seriously though, for someone who's only started watching S&S, you certainly have Sapphire down pat. I can actually hear her and see her.

I hope you get another inspiration for S&S. I'd love to see what you do with Steel. :yes:

Great job Timeless.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Jun 2010, 15:01

I promise I'll read it asap. I'm looking forward to it! ^^

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Kim

Post 10 Jun 2010, 15:24

Philippa wrote:I promise I'll read it asap. I'm looking forward to it! ^^

You're gonna love it. :yes:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 10 Jun 2010, 16:23

Very good. Clever, clever, clever.

Can I just be a bit picky over dialogue?

I can 'hear' Sapphire's voice too, as Kim said. The only thing that jarred was when she says "Is there someplace we can talk quietly". Sapphire speaks with a cut glass English accent and 'someplace' is such an Americanism it was a jolt. If you change it to "Is there somewhere we can talk quietly" it works fine.

I hate to sound picky when it's light years better than I could ever do. :hug:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 17:34

Kim wrote::lmao: Loved it!!!!! You sneaky little thing you. I knew you'd get Gambit in there somehow, some way! I'm having a heck of a time trying to fit Gambit in with Tara's timeline and you, you managed to get him into the past, present, and future!

Seriously though, for someone who's only started watching S&S, you certainly have Sapphire down pat. I can actually hear her and see her.

I hope you get another inspiration for S&S. I'd love to see what you do with Steel. :yes:

Great job Timeless.

Thank you, Kim. :hug: Yes, it being me, I couldn't resist throwing old Mike in there. I think the fact that I saw season 2 first, where they right Gambit out a lot, has left this enduring impression that he goes off and does his own thing at times and neither Purdey nor Steed know where he is or what he gets up to. Well, what if he was off visiting 1927 or something? Maybe that's why he's so into technology--he's been to 2006 and seen what there is, bought himself a little Microsoft stock... :whistle:

I tried really hard with Sapphire's voice, and didn't know if I'd hit at all. I've been in a writing slump at the moment, and having trouble with Purdey and Gambit's voices lately, even though I can usually write them in my sleep, so trying to write Sapphire, who really does sound different than Purdey in a lot of ways (Joanna's delivery is quite different--softer and breathier, where Purdey's is more forceful and staccato), was tough. Frederick and Gambit don't sound the same, either, so there were a lot of identities to keep straight. It's enough to make your brain go, it is. :lol: So if I hit Sapphire at all, in voice or mannerisms, that's huge for me. Thanks for telling me. :hug:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 17:41

Avengerdan wrote:Very good. Clever, clever, clever.

Can I just be a bit picky over dialogue?

I can 'hear' Sapphire's voice too, as Kim said. The only thing that jarred was when she says "Is there someplace we can talk quietly". Sapphire speaks with a cut glass English accent and 'someplace' is such an Americanism it was a jolt. If you change it to "Is there somewhere we can talk quietly" it works fine.

I hate to sound picky when it's light years better than I could ever do. :hug:

Thanks, Dandy. I've amended it to "somewhere." I try my best to get the dialogue right and make it accurately "British," but at the end of the day I'm still Canadian, and while we're officially meant to speak British English, we use a lot of Americanisms, too, and they slip in without my being aware of it. I've never seen "someplace" as a particularly North American phrase, but I shall keep an eye open for it in the future. Thanks for pointing it out. :thumb: I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. ^^
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 10 Jun 2010, 19:54

I loved it. I thought the set up was genius - the idea would never have occured to me.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 20:24

Avengerdan wrote:I loved it. I thought the set up was genius - the idea would never have occured to me.

Why, thank you. :grin: That's very kind. Just the desire to stick two of Gareth and Joanna's other characters together. I like my in-jokes. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 10 Jun 2010, 21:10

Great piece of writing, Timeless! You know I wasn't the slightest bit suprised when the Frederick guy turned out to be Gambit? How did I guess, eh? Perhaps I'm psychic too... :brows:

Next time, make sure you put Pats in there as well please. I get a feeling your playing favourites now. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 21:52

Mara wrote:Great piece of writing, Timeless! You know I wasn't the slightest bit suprised when the Frederick guy turned out to be Gambit? How did I guess, eh? Perhaps I'm psychic too... :brows:

Next time, make sure you put Pats in there as well please. I get a feeling your playing favourites now. :lol:

Thanks, Maartje--I'm glad you liked it. ^^

I don't know why no one seems surprised that I got Gambit in there. Can't imagine what's tipping people off. *Covers up avatar* :whistle:

Well, the whole point was to stick Gareth and Joanna's characters together, namely Frederick and Sapphire, because it made a good in-joke and made sense--not only was Frederick in a different time that Sapphire could visit, but there's the neat twist that Gareth and Joanna were the same age when they played their respective roles. Gareth was 33 in 1975, Joanna in 1979. So it's in-joke laden, but I've also been watching UpDown and S&S, so naturally I was going to put those two together. They even have a similiar feel to them--both studio-bound and fairly serious in mood. It just made sense. So less playing favourites than making things fit. I will say I did think about Patsy, though, and I've considered on more than one occasion how to incorporate her into a fic of some sort, but it'd have to be the right one--more comic--and I'd have to feel up to tackling her dialogue. But yes, I do play favourites. It's my fic. I'm allowed. :tongue:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jun 2010, 22:03

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, the whole point was to stick Gareth and Joanna's characters together, namely Frederick and Sapphire, because it made a good in-joke and made sense--not only was Frederick in a different time that Sapphire could visit, but there's the neat twist that Gareth and Joanna were the same age when they played their respective roles.

Yes, I'd gathered that and I think it worked out very well, despite the different series. And you've put Bowie in! Bonus points for that lovely reference, too. :thumb:

I think the hardest characters to get right are in fact Patsy and Edina because they already are a caricature of what some people are like. Let's just say I've never ever read properly written AbFab fanfic, but perhaps you'd be the first to get it right!

But yeah, your story... fair enough! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 22:33

Mara wrote:Yes, I'd gathered that and I think it worked out very well, despite the different series. And you've put Bowie in! Bonus points for that lovely reference, too. :thumb:

I think the hardest characters to get right are in fact Patsy and Edina because they already are a caricature of what some people are like. Let's just say I've never ever read properly written AbFab fanfic, but perhaps you'd be the first to get it right!

But yeah, your story... fair enough! :lol:

Yes, Bowie snuck in the back. By the end I was like, "Well, it makes sense. Let's just go for it." :lmao: Seventies. Time-travel. Gotta be Bowie. :wink:

Again, I think the general mood of the two series is very close. If it hadn't the idea never would have gone. Sapphire was just the most compatible of Joanna's roles to Gareth's Frederick. I can see the mood lighting and everything. ^^ So it all worked together. But I won't lie--I'm not as big an AbFab fan as TNA, or Class Act, or, now, S&S. If I'm not into what I'm writing and try to force myself, it just doesn't work.

Patsy would be extremely difficult and exhausting to write. The thing about those larger-than-life characters is that there's the expectation for them to always come up with real gems of one-liners. The bits of "In Custody" I wrote with Gene are similar--he's another one you always need to be on your toes for. House would probably be another example. Really outrageous characters that you have to constantly be pushing the envelope with. That'd be why people can't replicate Patsy in fic very well--to write reams of decent dialogue for her is almost impossible because she doesn't have a whole lot in the way of "ordinary" lines to give you a break. Those go to Eddie, who is responsible for driving the plot and thus has to do exposition and the other nuts and bolts. If I wrote Patsy, it would be a very short piece so that I could use all the good lines I came up with and no filler. I'd also probably feel more confident if I knew my AbFab better than I do. I'm not saying I'd never write her, though. If the fic called for it, and she fit, I'd take a crack at her. But she'd have to fit. If I was going to cross her with Gareth again I'd put her in a more comic venue, like That Beryl Marston...! But I'd need a great premise I was really excited about and to feel really brave to take AbFab on with you guys around--S&S is hard enough when I'm at a disadvantage canonwise. :lol:

Until then, I've got a lot of TNA ideas I want to do. But I don't rule anything out. Ever. :wink:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 11 Jun 2010, 00:14

S&S and Gambit and Purdey occupy very different worlds, but there is an area you've recognised where these worlds overlap and you story works. I think the world of Ab Fab is very different. Also sitcom is a very different genre to cult and it would be like mixing, say, Friends with Mad Men.

Not sure if that's a good example, but do you see what I mean? The 'rhythm' of comedy is different from drama.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jun 2010, 00:44

Avengerdan wrote:S&S and Gambit and Purdey occupy very different worlds, but there is an area you've recognised where these worlds overlap and you story works. I think the world of Ab Fab is very different. Also sitcom is a very different genre to cult and it would be like mixing, say, Friends with Mad Men.

Not sure if that's a good example, but do you see what I mean? The 'rhythm' of comedy is different from drama.

I see exactly what you mean, Dandy, and I think you hit the nail on the head. The main crossover was supposed to be UpDown and S&S, which actually feel remarkably similar do their studio-bound nature, despite the different genres. TNA is a greater stretch, but the whole premise is a little out there and I recognise that, so it's just a matter of accepting it. But things like AbFab are "out there" in a different way. The mood and rhythm and text is different, and it wouldn't fit in the same way. So yeah, I agree 100%. :thumb:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Jun 2010, 09:23

I agree on what you say there Dandy, but I was only joking in my first post. :wink: S&S and AbFab would never make a good cross-over, but I do love how everyone keeps coming back to their favourite shows in the end.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Patsy would be extremely difficult and exhausting to write. The thing about those larger-than-life characters is that there's the expectation for them to always come up with real gems of one-liners. The bits of "In Custody" I wrote with Gene are similar--he's another one you always need to be on your toes for. House would probably be another example. Really outrageous characters that you have to constantly be pushing the envelope with. That'd be why people can't replicate Patsy in fic very well--to write reams of decent dialogue for her is almost impossible because she doesn't have a whole lot in the way of "ordinary" lines to give you a break. Those go to Eddie, who is responsible for driving the plot and thus has to do exposition and the other nuts and bolts. If I wrote Patsy, it would be a very short piece so that I could use all the good lines I came up with and no filler.

I think you're absolutely right: all the AbFab fics I have read so far are incredibly wrong, but I have never been able to quite put my finger on why. If my memory serves me well (there you go..) Jennifer once said that it's lines first and then the plot, but I always felt she knew exactly how to balance the two. Just look at the dialogue between Saffy and Edina in the pilot, Fashion for example: incredibly cleverly and well-written. It's very hard to get right. (plus, at lot of it also depends on how it is acted: only Joanna could make lines like ''is it a bee?'' and ''is he from Gabon?'' right...)
<<

Kim

Post 11 Jun 2010, 12:11

Mara wrote:I agree on what you say there Dandy, but I was only joking in my first post. :wink: S&S and AbFab would never make a good cross-over, but I do love how everyone keeps coming back to their favourite shows in the end.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Patsy would be extremely difficult and exhausting to write. The thing about those larger-than-life characters is that there's the expectation for them to always come up with real gems of one-liners. The bits of "In Custody" I wrote with Gene are similar--he's another one you always need to be on your toes for. House would probably be another example. Really outrageous characters that you have to constantly be pushing the envelope with. That'd be why people can't replicate Patsy in fic very well--to write reams of decent dialogue for her is almost impossible because she doesn't have a whole lot in the way of "ordinary" lines to give you a break. Those go to Eddie, who is responsible for driving the plot and thus has to do exposition and the other nuts and bolts. If I wrote Patsy, it would be a very short piece so that I could use all the good lines I came up with and no filler.

I think you're absolutely right: all the AbFab fics I have read so far are incredibly wrong, but I have never been able to quite put my finger on why. If my memory serves me well (there you go..) Jennifer once said that it's lines first and then the plot, but I always felt she knew exactly how to balance the two. Just look at the dialogue between Saffy and Edina in the pilot, Fashion for example: incredibly cleverly and well-written. It's very hard to get right. (plus, at lot of it also depends on how it is acted: only Joanna could make lines like ''is it a bee?'' and ''is he from Gabon?'' right...)

I think you just did put your finger on the problem of writing AbFab fic. You can't translate to paper the speed, tones, and facial expressions that these ladies brought to the show. Saffy would be easy to write as she's so mundane. But it would be all but impossible to describe the exchanges between Patsy and Eddie.
If someone could get hold of the scripts, I'm sure reading them would evoke a smile and even some laughs. But watching it translated to action is hilarious.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jun 2010, 16:00

Kim wrote:
Mara wrote:I agree on what you say there Dandy, but I was only joking in my first post. :wink: S&S and AbFab would never make a good cross-over, but I do love how everyone keeps coming back to their favourite shows in the end.

I think you just did put your finger on the problem of writing AbFab fic. You can't translate to paper the speed, tones, and facial expressions that these ladies brought to the show. Saffy would be easy to write as she's so mundane. But it would be all but impossible to describe the exchanges between Patsy and Eddie.
If someone could get hold of the scripts, I'm sure reading them would evoke a smile and even some laughs. But watching it translated to action is hilarious.

Oh, yes, if you have good lines up your sleeve, you'll write the plot around them (I've done that :lol: ). But performance makes a huge difference as well. This would be why lines written by Matthew Graham like, "Don't move! You're surrounded by armed bastards!" sound so brilliant when said by Philip Glenister, but lack the over-sized personality and delivery when parroted by Harvey Keitel. You need the right actor to pull it off, no question. Sometimes the line doesn't come to life until it's said.

I feel justified because for once it's not me going off-topic. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Jun 2010, 20:10

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, yes, if you have good lines up your sleeve, you'll write the plot around them (I've done that :lol: ). But performance makes a huge difference as well. This would be why lines written by Matthew Graham like, "Don't move! You're surrounded by armed bastards!" sound so brilliant when said by Philip Glenister, but lack the over-sized personality and delivery when parroted by Harvey Keitel. You need the right actor to pull it off, no question. Sometimes the line doesn't come to life until it's said.

I feel justified because for once it's not me going off-topic. :lmao:

Hey - I got you talking about AbFab, I'm not gonna let go know, aren't I? :lolol:

I have to agree with you though: so much depends on the actor/actress and how the cast is able to deliver a line. You need a comic talent to get funny lines right: Joanna has most certainly got it, and so does Philip. Anyway, back to the fanfic now. Are you ever gonna continue Gambit's time travelling stories?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Jun 2010, 00:18

Mara wrote:Hey - I got you talking about AbFab, I'm not gonna let go know, aren't I? :lolol:

I have to agree with you though: so much depends on the actor/actress and how the cast is able to deliver a line. You need a comic talent to get funny lines right: Joanna has most certainly got it, and so does Philip. Anyway, back to the fanfic now. Are you ever gonna continue Gambit's time travelling stories?

I can talk AbFab--I just need the right motivation. :lmao:

But yes, back on topic. I wrote this one as a one-shot, really, because I could take advantage of the UpDown connection, which fit so well within the context of S&S. I could send him elsewhere, but it wouldn't have all the neat connections. Part of my brain is ruminating on writing the other half of the fallout of his travelling and getting Steel in there, though. And I won't lie and say I've never toyed with the time-travel idea over the years, just within the context of TNA--sending Steed, Purdey, and Gambit into the future to encounter older versions of themselves or something, or sending an adult Dar back to 1976, and all the consequences that would come with that. Gambit would spend an inordinate amount of time trying to convince everyone that no, he didn't get someone pregnant when he was 14, and Purdey would be trying to rationalise away why Dar looks a little like her--lots of fun to be had there. :lmao: But there's a whole 'nother AU series of Mike Gambit: Time Traveller, occasionally crossing paths with a certain pair of elemental beings, that could be very interesting... No, not more ideas! :lmao:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 16 Jun 2010, 16:26

Oooooh, cool story! *gg*

You know, I think it's pretty cool that you used music as Gambit's means of time travel. Cos in one of the audio adventures, there's another element, Ruby (really like her, btw.) and SHE says that it's music that binds the strands of time together or something like that. Hm, maybe that woman in India was Ruby and she taught Gambit how to do it to annoy Sapphire? I got the impression those two don't really get along all that well (Ruby seems to have kind of a crush on Steel - really, Ruby and Sapphire interact much the same way as Silver and Steel ...) *lol*

Neat! Like this very much!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Jun 2010, 18:48

Khell wrote:Oooooh, cool story! *gg*

You know, I think it's pretty cool that you used music as Gambit's means of time travel. Cos in one of the audio adventures, there's another element, Ruby (really like her, btw.) and SHE says that it's music that binds the strands of time together or something like that. Hm, maybe that woman in India was Ruby and she taught Gambit how to do it to annoy Sapphire? I got the impression those two don't really get along all that well (Ruby seems to have kind of a crush on Steel - really, Ruby and Sapphire interact much the same way as Silver and Steel ...) *lol*

Neat! Like this very much!

Oh, wow, really? I haven't hit the audio adventures yet (well, except for the one you sent me :wink: ), but that's quite the neat coincidence. I chose the music connection just as an in-joke about Life on Mars--Sam was listening to Bowie when he got hit by a car and time-travelled, so I ran with the idea that the music plays a part in the time-travel process, particularly certain tracks. Combine it with a natural predisposition, and, well... But maybe the lady in India was Ruby. Maybe she goes around sensing people with the gift and teaches them to use it, just to annoy people (like Sapphire, though it would miff Steel as well). I'm glad they wrote a counterpoint for Sapphire the way they did with Steel, giving him Silver. Steel and Silver like each other as much as Gambit and brain-drained Larry in The Three-Handed Game did. :lmao:

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed my crazy crossover fic. Now I have all these ideas that I could spin off! Help! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jun 2010, 20:29

Re: Sapphire and Steel fanfiction

Nothing really "new" per se, but I've posted "Carbon Copy" on ff.net now. First time I've had occasion to use their crossover system--I always figured that it'd be when I finished "In Custody" that I'd give it a work-out, but I didn't count on liking S&S as much as I did. :lol:

I have no idea if anyone will find it buried in the Avengers crossover section, or what S&S fans will make of it. But I wanted to put it out there, and I get a S&S credit on my profile now, too. This makes it look as though I can kinda sorta write things other than Avengers (although I have a small series of Monkey Island fics that are rounding things out a little :lol: ). Anyway, it's here if you have the desperate urge to look at it over there, for whatever reason. I'll link it up on my first post as well. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Jun 2010, 21:20

I seriously need 48-hour days to get everything done, because I still haven't read it. :lol:
All the more reason to go and do it tonight, and leave you a shiny review!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jun 2010, 21:42

Philippa wrote:I seriously need 48-hour days to get everything done, because I still haven't read it. :lol:
All the more reason to go and do it tonight, and leave you a shiny review!

Don't stress about it, dear--look at it when you have time. :hug: But I won't say no to a shiny review. :lol:
Next

Return to Sapphire & Steel