Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Sensitive Skin in academia

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Apr 2010, 19:46

Sensitive Skin in academia

Many of you know by now that I will be writing an essay on Sensitive Skin for my TV module. I've got a month to do it, so i'm a little panicked!

I was wondering if you could perhaps tell me why you think the series is a good example of 'quality TV.' Is it the cast, the narrative, the location, the director? Why do you think it can be considered a quality piece over other contemporary pieces of drama?

Your help would really help me out, so thank you in advance! :happy:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: Sensitive Skin in academia

Oh, man, I dearly wish I could help you with this, but I'm afraid I've never watched it. The premise would just make me too sad, I fear. :no: I hope the others can help you, though. :yes:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Apr 2010, 19:59

That's a ''yes'' to all those questions, but I suppose you'll need a good reasoning as well. I'll have to think about this for a moment Laura but I'll get back to you on this one!

PS. Excellent topic to write an essay on darling! :thumb:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Apr 2010, 20:04

Thanks Mara, you are a gem! Don't worry Timeless, but I will make you read the assignment when it's done! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Apr 2010, 20:14

Laura wrote:Thanks Mara, you are a gem! Don't worry Timeless, but I will make you read the assignment when it's done! :lol:

Hey, I'd love to! I read TV and pop culture academia all the time. I've read so many scholarly Avengers and other series books I could probably write a paper myself. I'm looking forward to yours. :yes:

If you ever need to know something for TNA, though, I'm here for you. :wink:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Apr 2010, 20:19

Thanks Timeless :grin:
<<

george123

Donkey

Post 11 Apr 2010, 23:43

Oh - just saw your post! Im obsessed with this series so have had a little think...

One thing I think shows its quality is how it isn't at all obvious & relies on the audience to use their intelligence & imagination. An example is when Davina had her affair with that young guy. We (the audience) discovered it at the same time as Al (when he spotted them both in the window of a cafe). I think other series may have shown them both 'at it' leading up to being discovered by Al, so that the audience was aware of what was going on. But the way they revealed it, it was as if Davina was keeping it a secret from the audience as well as Al. I think that sort of sophisticated story telling is rare - most programmes would have spelled it out.

Also, I dont think the effect of the music can be underestimated. Most reviews of the series mentioned it - it was inspired! I managed to find most of it & put it in the downloads section– if you need further info just shout.

I also think it has quite a 'painterly' quality, because it often shows long, lingering shots of scenery that really sets the melancholy tone. Again, other programmes may have been keen to crack on with the action, but Sensitive Skin was all about setting the tone & was not afraid to have long shots of the river, etc while music played (even though there were no characters in the shot).

I should think you have done this already, but you may want to google reviews of the show as I remember at the time it came out they were ALL complimentary & said it was the best piece of television in ages.

I don’t know if ANY of that is relevant (ha, ha) but I will continue to have a think. What a lovely topic for an essay – I wish I could have been set work like that at Uni. Ha, ha. Good luck!
Georgina.

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 12 Apr 2010, 06:59

I need to get ready for my lecture now, but I'll give it some thought and get back to you later darling :smooch:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Apr 2010, 07:23

I agree with george123. I also think that the way the series was cut made a difference. It wasn't one of those "crazy switches"-show that are so common now. What I mean is that they don't have these hectic cuts with loud music in between. I think that made a difference - at least to me, I am always a bit annoyed of ear-piercing music takes.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Apr 2010, 11:02

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts so far. You've given me many new aspects to think about, especially in terms of the editing, music and approach as if it is a piece of art. I'll definitely discuss these aspects within the assignment.

I did find some reviews in this thread for SS, but wondered if there are any more, or if anyone has some promo pictures from the series?

Keep the thoughts coming! :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Apr 2010, 15:44

I absolutely agree with George, but I think something that's worth mentioning as well is the humour in the series. I once read a really nasty review, saying that the writers didn't have the slightest sense of humour and that the whole series was somehow rather boring. I don't agree at all: the great thing about Sensitive Skin is the incredibly subtle, and dark humour that is used. There's the scene in series 1 in which Al causes an argument with a woman who has parked her car next to Al's and the whole scene ends in the woman up smashing their old Mustang. By the end of the episode, when Al has discovered the ''leather guy'' Greg is flirting with Davina, he drives up to his house where he finds Greg's wife (who's opening the door) is in fact the same woman who smashed his car in.

Also, you have to be a bit patient with this series. The plot builds op rather slowly and the writers make you believe that nothing happens and that nothing goes on in Davina's head. You're only proven wrong by the end of the series which makes the shocking effect of the affair come across even better. (because of the way Joanna played her you wouldn't expect her character to be able to do such a thing)

What I also love about the series are the sceneries: everything's either black, white or grey and it's almost constantly raining. (I feel that this more or less reflects Davina's mood) Also, try paying attention to the soundtrack and you'll find that a lot of the lyrics are chosen for a reason: they reflect what's in actual fact happening in the series. (for instance, try listening to Baby Did A Bad, Bad Thing and you'll know what I mean)

Laura wrote:I did find some reviews in this thread for SS, but wondered if there are any more, or if anyone has some promo pictures from the series?

I'm afraid there were very few pictures released by the time Sensitive Skin came out, so I think I wouldn't be able to send you more than 3 pictures, not even in HQ.

We visited a lot of the filming locations in London in February, so if you need any information on that (or if you want to use some of our pictures) feel free to ask!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Apr 2010, 16:52

Thanks for those points Mara, extremely well made and I can use all of them in the essay. Interestingly, the scenery is one of the first things I picked up on- S1 is almost bleak in this example, compared to S2 when color begins to rush in, and Davina's wardrobe also changes (lots of red- a subtle reference to Al's scarves?)

Whatever pictures you have would be brill sweety. Thanks again.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Apr 2010, 15:55

I saw my lecturer today about this essay, and the best part is I have to talk to fans of the show and why they like it... Shouldn't be a problem there then! So, who wants to be quoted in my essay first? :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Apr 2010, 18:12

Well, feel free to ask me anything about the show. I'm afraid I can't help you much on the filming because there was very little information published on this series, but I do have an opinion on it of course. :wink:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Apr 2010, 18:19

FAb, thanks so much. I've noted your comments from before, but feel free to add anything else to it. I may some other quotes but once I've planned the essay out (which I hope to do tomorrow,) I'll be able to let you know. :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Apr 2010, 23:33

How are things going with your essay Laura? Did find enough information on the series?
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 May 2010, 09:59

Hi Mara, First draft is done which I am very happy about!

I've quoted both yourself and Philippa within the essay, particularly in the fan section as we had to research our show in relation to a forum community. I'll message you over that chunk just to see if you are happy with what i've said. I've got to edit the essay a bit since I am over the word limit, but I will have it posted, in its entirety up here by next week.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 May 2010, 12:01

Laura wrote:I'll message you over that chunk just to see if you are happy with what i've said. I've got to edit the essay a bit since I am over the word limit, but I will have it posted, in its entirety up here by next week.

Goodie! :thumb: I'm looking forward to reading your essay, I think it's nice that you focused on a less well-known show instead of AbFab or TNA.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 May 2010, 12:12

Thanks :happy: Well I love it, and it is a perfect example of contemporary quality TV! I'll send it over to you in a bit. Thanks again.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 May 2010, 15:45

Hi everyone,

I've finished the essay but having a bit of trouble uploading it on to Google Docs (the format keeps mucking up!)

So if you would like a copy, please PM me with your email and I shall email it across to you.

Cheers! :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 May 2010, 16:07

Laura wrote:So if you would like a copy, please PM me with your email and I shall email it across to you.

I'd like to read it, but perhaps you could e-mail it to me instead. I'll drop you a mail later today anyway. :wink: Congratulations, by the way!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 May 2010, 16:15

I'd like to read it, too, but I'm wondering why Google Docs isn't working for you. Strange... :huh:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 May 2010, 16:37

Thanks both, looking forward to your email Mara, and Timeless, I'll send over the copy now :grin:

Yea, I tried several times- it is odd, it deleted the picture (what an outrage!) and altered all of the alignment...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 May 2010, 16:46

Laura wrote:Thanks both, looking forward to your email Mara, and Timeless, I'll send over the copy now :grin:

Yea, I tried several times- it is odd, it deleted the picture (what an outrage!) and altered all of the alignment...

Hmm, that's so weird. And you just uploaded it straight? Very odd. Ah, well. I'll look at it in the e-mail. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 May 2010, 17:08

Yep uploaded it straight.

Email is sent! :grin:
Next

Return to Sensitive Skin