Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Series 1

<<

Don'tQuestionMe

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 31 Mar 2008, 16:49

you are my hero
- Emma! Look! I've got etheric beam locators!

- No, Doctor, I'm afraid those are actual breasts.

- Are you sure? I think I can see the 'on' switch.
<<

CurlyWurly

Target

Post 14 Apr 2008, 19:25

I love Sensitive Skin. I think it's probably the best performance Joanna has ever done.

I remember being shocked by the last episode of the 1st series, firstly cos we didn't know that Davinia was actually having an affair until that brilliant shot of Al seeing them in the coffee shop, & then at the end when Al died. When Davinia climbed into bed with him, I thought we were in for a happy ending, but then in the last few seconds the whole thing turned. Brilliant ending.

And then in series 2, I initially thought Davinia would end up with her art gallery boss, Sam, who obviously held a torch for her (loved their last scene together). Fantastic series.

I've got the 1st series on DVD, but am hoping the 2nd series might have some extras. Joanna's last collaboration with Hugo Blick 'Up In Town' had a very funny audio commentary. I would love another for SS.

And in reply to previous posts - I did upload the series to YouTube but they were all taken down due to copyright issues. I still receive lots of PMs from YouTubers asking for them !
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Apr 2008, 20:40

i know, thanks for that. that's how i watched the whole 1st series :D
but luckily i've got all the epps now because they were up for download here on the forum, thanks to our lovely froggie :smooch:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 28 Sep 2008, 20:09

I finished watching the first three episodes today, and it was amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Joanna's crazy acting (Jam and Jerusalem, AbFab, ect.) but this really proves her talent.

I'm looking forward to see the rest of series 1!
<<

Don'tQuestionMe

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 01 Oct 2008, 21:14

well aren't you in for a treat :claps:
- Emma! Look! I've got etheric beam locators!

- No, Doctor, I'm afraid those are actual breasts.

- Are you sure? I think I can see the 'on' switch.
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Oct 2008, 20:29

Re: Series 1

I'm not sure which series I prefer. I love Al, and series 1 is just brilliant, but I think I'd pick series 2 as my favourite series. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling.
And I agree, that last scene of series 1 is just heartbreaking. The first time I totally didn't see it coming, but now every time I watch it, I start crying in advance because I know it's coming... :cry:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2009, 07:23

Re:

^ I prefer series 2 as well Phil!! Even though Al was gone, we saw Davina grow SO much as a person in the second series, it was extraordinary. It was very sad that he had to die in order for her to truly find herself, but you slowly come to realise as you watch the second series, that it was almost a blessing in disguise for her. It forced her to completely re-evaluate her life and decide where she stood and how she would now define and anchor herself without the one person she could always count on to be there for her.

Charm wrote:I finished watching the first three episodes today, and it was amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Joanna's crazy acting (Jam and Jerusalem, AbFab, ect.) but this really proves her talent.

I'm looking forward to see the rest of series 1!

Yeah, this series really showcased Joanna's amazing versatility as an actress, her true range. I was (and will be again I'm sure, when I get the chance to re-watch the series) totally awe-struck by Joanna's performance in this show, especially in series 2. All of the scenes where she broke down in tears just had me sitting there motionless, eyes fixed on the screen, jaw dropped :hypnose: She's mesmerising.
No Room For Secrets
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:08

Series one were wonderful, and I think better than the second: the final episode was just heartbreaking. I think Al was too important for the story line to let his character disappear in the second series, even though I liked the change of ''setting''. (from the appartement to the boat)

The whole set-up from from the first series is just better, but you've got to watch all the episodes to understand it. That's why these costumers reviews usually annoy me: it forces the audience a little bit of patience, it's not the quick laughing that AbFab is. You really need to watch the entire series to understand the intensity of the last episode - it's brilliantly written.
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:33

Yes, the customers reviews is what annoys me most as well! They see Joanna's in it, so they think AbFab, and expect something alike. (same reason why J&J got bad reviews, they were expecting something like AbFab)
People just have to be a bit more patient, because it's actually a really good piece of drama, with some funny moments in it as well. It's not shallow, quick laugh comedy, it's a real indept look into someone's life, and all the trouble that comes with it.
And Joanna plays it so brilliantly, it's just amazing to see how she completely becomes that character, there's absolutely no hint to any other characters she's played before. When people say they don't like Sensitive Skin, they just don't get it I'm afraid.
And as to comparing series 1 to series 2, I think why I prefer series 2 is because it focuses more on Joanna alone, which I always prefer to be honest, I just like to see as much of Joanna as possible on screen. But this doesn't make series 1 less brilliant in any way. The whole Al/Davina relationship is really interesting, and Al is just such a darling, only he doesn't really seem to understand Davina, but you can clearly see that he loves her very much.
And that's something you can really see coming back in the 2nd series, Davina realises how much Al loved her, but it's too late. And she'll have to carry that burden around with her, which makes 'moving on' so to speak, really hard.

<<

Philippa

Post 30 Jan 2009, 12:15

Oh that's fabulous! I wanna go there too!
Next time I'm in London I'm going to have an AbFab/Sensitive Skin pilgrimage :grin:

And yeah I really hate those reviews, people obviously don't get the show. It's so annoying that critics, the so-called "experts", can't separate an actor from a character. Really annoying in my opinion. They should judge someone on their acting abilities, and the quality of the show, instead of comparing it to previous roles, no matter how iconic.
They showed series 1 on Dutch television, on Nederland 2. I believe it was in 2005 or perhaps early 2006, I don't remember. I really hope they'll show series 2 as well, but they might not, I don't know if it had good ratings.
It's such a shame that most people won't give slightly off-beat tv series a chance, it seems all they want is a quick laugh and if they don't get it in the first 2 minutes or so, they stop watching. I think it's so ignorant. And because of that they miss an excellent piece of drama, with brilliant acting :wub:

<<

collmari

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 03 Feb 2009, 06:30

wow, all of the accolades for Joanna's acting is getting me so excited!! I requested the DVDs from the library and I can't wait for them to show up!!
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Feb 2009, 08:50

Oh you'll love it, I'm sure. Just as long as you don't expect anything AbFab-ish, you'll be fine. Joanna's acting is brilliant in this :wub:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Feb 2009, 17:28

collmari wrote:wow, all of the accolades for Joanna's acting is getting me so excited!! I requested the DVDs from the library and I can't wait for them to show up!!

Oh, if you liked Up In Town, I'm sure you can appreciate this too. Just don't expect anything AbFab, as Phil already pointed out.. ;)
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Mar 2009, 19:07

Well I watched the last episode again last weekend, together with Hanneke.
AND
for the first time I didn't cry, but I was still very sad :sad:

<<

Philippa

Post 23 Mar 2009, 18:22

I just bought the dvd on Ebay :grin: :squee:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Mar 2009, 15:09

Philippa wrote:I just bought the dvd on Ebay :grin: :squee:

I bought a copy too, at van Leest for only 7 euros.. (even though her acting is worth so much more than that, haha) So that's probably how I'm gonna spend my lazy afternoon today.. :d
<<

Philippa

Post 24 Mar 2009, 15:31

That's certainly a bargain! I have to say I paid a bit more for mine, since I bought the original UK release, and not the Dutch one. I just needed to have the original UK release. Yes I know, I'm that terrible :lol:
But I don't care, this is a great series, and Joanna's worth the extra money :heart:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Mar 2009, 17:15

Haha, well that's great too! Dutch, English.. I don't care so much about that, as long as I can watch it, to be honest. :tongue:

Anyway - I forced my mum to sit down and watch the first three episodes, and I think she actually quite liked it. (she's 61 too, so it should appeal to her...)
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 May 2009, 16:13

For those who haven't seen it yet... The first series are now on Youtube, and I wonder how long it will last, so if you haven't seen them yet: go for it!

Here's the first part of episode 1.
<<

Philippa

Post 13 May 2009, 16:25

They have been on YouTube before (that's how I first watched it), and got deleted. So I don't think they'll be on there very long..

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 May 2009, 16:27

I got it from this forum actually, and then I bought the DVD, so I've never seen it on Youtube...

But you are right, the BBC is rather protective when it comes to series like this, shame goes for AbFab: someone uploads them, and a couple of weeks later they're gone, until somebody uploads them again. (so it happens anyway)
<<

Rachel84

Post 16 May 2009, 16:46

Just finished watching the first series courtesy of youtube. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before. Absolutely amazed and in awe of Joanna's performance. Beautifully written and shot, cannot wait to see the second series.
<<

Philippa

Post 16 May 2009, 23:44

Yay another one converted :grin:
I'm so glad you liked it babe. And I'm sure you'll love series 2 as well!

<<

Louise

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 27 Jul 2009, 06:37

WOW! I just watched Series One and I laughed and cried! Amazing performances from both Joanna and Denis. I want to see Series Two now but it's not on YouTube. May have to invest in the DVD!
'and I happen to like marshmallows....!'
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Jul 2009, 08:45

^Please do, the DVDs are really worth having!
Glad you like the series so much :grin:

PreviousNext

Return to Sensitive Skin