Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Series 1

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 27 Jul 2009, 10:05

Re: Series 1

It's a great series, isn't it? Oh, and if you're planning on buying the first series, you must get the second too: they're both wonderful.
<<

Georgia

Donkey

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Nov 2009, 09:41

So, I've watched both series about three times...I absolutely love it! I have to say that I like the second series more. It was more dramatic than the first...it had more substance to it. One thing that I couldn't get over from the very beginning was just how much of the story is told through Joanna's facial expressions. If you pay attention when you watch, its amazing how much of the story comes from a look or from the tone of her voice when she says something. I don't think I've ever seen Joanna give a more brilliant performance...and thats saying a lot considering how much I adore Patsy.

The first scene really scared me at first because there was this soft music playing in the background and it took place in a doctor's office. Of course, the first thing I saw was that folder behind her that said "cancer info" on it so immediately I thought something awful was happening. I was very relieved when I realized that she was only there for HRT :tongue:

I was really surprised by the music that was played during the opening and ending credits. As the series goes on, you find that the music they chose does have its place within the episode. I didn't yet know that. There was definitely this "country" sound to this episode that I still don't understand. LOL...I just remember thinking "what...the...hell.." :lmao:

The first scene in which we meet Al, I realized he was going to be a verrrrry complicated character. I don't think I could have ever been married to him. He would have driven me crazy! I did get a good laugh, though, at him sitting at his desk in nothing but his pants! I did decide I liked him very much when he went to the library to read the scathing reviews for soeone else's book and then you see him sitting there all alone laughing uncontrollably and everyone is looking at him like he's a lunatic :lmao:

One question: what is up with the artwork in the shop Davina works in??? Hahaha...I was shocked. There is no way that could ever be shown on tv here. One day, I was in the one of the libraries on campus on a break and was watching the episode and had forgotten about the part where he is arranging the art on the wall...when it came on I freaked out and slammed my laptop shut then looked around nervously to see if anyone else had see it. LOL...I'm glad they didn't! I can only imagine what they would have thought I was looking at.

I love Orlando. I don't know if I would usually like a character like that but he's so messed up that I can't help but laugh....I don't mean that as awful as it sounds :tongue: I don't know, there is just something about him that makes me like him.

I felt sorry for Davina. There is so much discontentment that radiates off her. You can tell that she is searching for something. The scene at the end when she asks Al if he is happy with their life and with her was really sad. She seemed very vulnerable in that moment. :(
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 21 Nov 2009, 10:44

Ooh that's embarrasing, that you had to slam your laptop shut in case anyone was looking :lmao:

But I completely agree with what you've said. It's an intense series, and it's very multi-layered. There are so many different things going on, just like in normal everyday life. And they seem to have found a perfect balance between drama and humour. And also the fact that they haven't got any more dialogue than is necessary. A lot is told by facial expressions, as you mentioned, and also the the music is a big part of setting the mood for certain scenes.

Al is a great character. Very complicated, I agree, and I think he would drive me insane, but he's very sweet. He clearly adores Davina, and he'd do anything to make her happy.The library scene is hilarious. He's just laughing out loud and everyone around him is giving him evil looks :lol:

As for Davina, she's just as much a complicated character herself. She's lived a big part of her life seemingly happy, at least to her surroundings, but she doesn't know whether it's the kind of life she would've wanted for herself. She's quite insecure, and that insecurity is beautifully portrayed in the way Joanna plays her.

I could go on for hours about this series, since I love it so much :heart:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Nov 2009, 21:29

I'm glad you've enjoyed the series so much, and I totally agree with you. I didn't think I couldn't find any performance of Joanna that could top Patsy, but I did. The big difference is that it never fails to make me cry but laugh at the very same time, it's such bitter sweet humor... I find both series 1 and 2 very beautiful - very different, but each special in their own way. There are some embarrassing scenes most definitely (not to forget that hideous painting in the second series, haha) but I feel like it all serves a purpose. It lights the series up, and it brings a touch of humor to the slightly ironic script.

I must admit I couldn't stand either of the three characters in the very first beginning though. Al, because he's a hypochonder and doesn't seem to appreciate his life at all, Orlando, because he's blaming everyone around him but himself and Davina because she's simply letting everything happen. I started to like her more in the second series, when she was suddenly forced to live, and figure things out for herself. They're all complex, but very interesting characters, and I find myself discovering new things every time I watch this show.

I particularly find Maggie Steed's performance impressive - does anyone else agree with me on her?
<<

Georgia

Donkey

Post 21 Nov 2009, 21:55

I was very excited to see Maggie in this. There are definitely elements of Eileen in Veronica that I noticed. I think she came into her own a bit more in the second series with the episode where the man she had an affair with represents Roger...Leonard I think was his name. She played that beautifully.
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Nov 2009, 22:00

Oh yes, definitely enjoyed Maggie Steed's performance. She portrays Veronica so well, and I agree, there are some elements of Eileen in her in series 1.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 31 Dec 2009, 14:36

I have just ordered Series 1 on Dvd. Can't wait to get it. It feels so much better when you can watch it on a big screen. Make's you feel like you are actually there. :happy:
<<

Philippa

Post 31 Dec 2009, 16:26

^It's one of those series that are really worth buying. I hope you'll enjoy your DVD :happy:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Dec 2009, 19:47

Oh, well done you! I've got both series on DVD too, and they're absolutely worth the money. Hope you enjoy!
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 31 Dec 2009, 21:08

Thank you. :happy: Just hoping that the post hurry's up. :happy:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 07 Jan 2010, 15:01

Got it and watched it. All I can say is absolutely amazing. :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 Jan 2010, 18:18

bexyshortcake wrote:Got it and watched it. All I can say is absolutely amazing. :happy:

Isn't it just? Now go and buy series 2 darling - you'll love that one too. :lol: What did you think of Joanna's acting and character?
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 07 Jan 2010, 19:12

^ ^ Fabulous. I thought she showed a more quite side of her. Yeah I think I will go and order it right now. :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Oct 2013, 22:22

I'm re-watching series 1. I have no idea how many times I've already seen these episodes but I'm still struck by how wonderfully it's written and played. :wub:
Previous

Return to Sensitive Skin