Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Temporary troubles with forum boards

<<

CurlyWurly

Target

Post 27 Oct 2010, 18:48

Re: Temporary troubles with forum boards (updates)

Was very confused when I logged in, wondering where all the boards had disappeared to LOL. Glad it's only temporary.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 08 Nov 2010, 17:00

Same - I miss not seeing the Absolutely Fabulous section.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Nov 2010, 17:14

I know guys, I'm sorry. :hug: I've contacted the web server about 5 times now and they keep telling me that they want to solve the general issues first before they start looking at individual boards.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 08 Nov 2010, 17:22

God, do they want our custom or not?!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Nov 2010, 17:25

JackieO wrote:God, do they want our custom or not?!

That's what I said too, but we can't just move everything to a different server without their help I'm afraid. :no:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Nov 2010, 07:43

Maartje wrote:
JackieO wrote:God, do they want our custom or not?!

That's what I said too, but we can't just move everything to a different server without their help I'm afraid. :no:

That's what I really hate, they can have it their way and people have no chance to do anything about it. :angry:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 09 Nov 2010, 18:45

Thank you for keep on trying, i'm sure they will do it when they can be arsed. :hug:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 10 Nov 2010, 11:19

I've been nagging on the support forum again two days ago, but no reply so far. They did bump our topic up to 'pending', which hopefully means that we're next in line for help now. *cross fingers*

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Nov 2010, 23:27

Philippa wrote:I've been nagging on the support forum again two days ago, but no reply so far. They did bump our topic up to 'pending', which hopefully means that we're next in line for help now. *cross fingers*

Thanks for all the effort, Philippa and Maartje. You know we all appreciate it, but it doesn't hurt to verbalise it, either. :hug:

I've adapted well enough that I can navigate just fine, anyway. This forum is still a great place to escape stressors (of which I have many), and I hope it sticks around. :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Nov 2010, 00:01

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've adapted well enough that I can navigate just fine, anyway. This forum is still a great place to escape stressors (of which I have many), and I hope it sticks around. :happy:

I know... Part of me just wants to say ''screw Freeforums'' and run off and start all over again on a new server, but there's just no way. Thinking of all the information that is posted her, I dare say that - with the media included - this is the most complete database on Joanna's career at the moment.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Nov 2010, 08:22

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've adapted well enough that I can navigate just fine, anyway. This forum is still a great place to escape stressors (of which I have many), and I hope it sticks around. :happy:

I know... Part of me just wants to say ''screw Freeforums'' and run off and start all over again on a new server, but there's just no way. Thinking of all the information that is posted her, I dare say that - with the media included - this is the most complete database on Joanna's career at the moment.

I agree with you, it would be much too expensive and too complex/time consuming.
Maybe we should ask Joanna if she would sponser the forum with money and manpower :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Nov 2010, 08:58

LunaFive wrote:Maybe we should ask Joanna if she would sponser the forum with money and manpower :lmao:

If that were possible, haha... Philippa and I discussed this the other day though - I still think it's really rather weird she doesn't have any sort of official website.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 11 Nov 2010, 11:25

There's no Ab Fab section to put this here, so ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Nov 2010, 12:20

It is there if you really search for it! But thanks, I read this this morning with a little smile :P
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 11 Nov 2010, 12:41

Avengerdan wrote:There's no Ab Fab section to put this here, so ...

Oh there's definitely a section for it, right here :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Nov 2010, 03:22

Avengerdan wrote:There's no Ab Fab section to put this here, so ...

Great signature, Dandy. I still prefer Joanna as a blonde, but this makes for easy comparison. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2011, 13:21

Ok guys, half of the boards have moved again and I have no idea what to do because the administration panel keeps showing 'general error'. I'm slightly panicking now - perhaps we should start all over again because I'm worried we'll never get this sorted. :hypnose:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Oct 2011, 16:32

Maartje wrote:Ok guys, half of the boards have moved again and I have no idea what to do because the administration panel keeps showing 'general error'. I'm slightly panicking now - perhaps we should start all over again because I'm worried we'll never get this sorted. :hypnose:

Eeek! :hypnose: It was okay this morning. Have you talked to the freeforums people to see if something's happened? :shock:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Oct 2011, 16:37

Going through my list of previous posts shows that all the boards are still in existence in one spot or another, so we haven't lost anything, thankfully. I'd be kind of loathe to leave because there are a lot of thread discussions I'd hate to lose. Perhaps we ought to sit on it for a bit and see if it's something temporary?
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Oct 2011, 18:01

I didn't realize that something has moved again. I just noticed the new style, which I like btw!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2011, 18:41

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Maartje wrote:Ok guys, half of the boards have moved again and I have no idea what to do because the administration panel keeps showing 'general error'. I'm slightly panicking now - perhaps we should start all over again because I'm worried we'll never get this sorted. :hypnose:

Eeek! :hypnose: It was okay this morning. Have you talked to the freeforums people to see if something's happened? :shock:

I've talked to them so many times before but they keep telling us that somethings wrong with the way that our forum's constructed, which - to be honest - I don't really understand. We never used to have these problems, so I don't see why it's going wrong all of a sudden...

I've been thinking about this - it's a total mess and it really can't stay this way. So either we have to do something about it, or Freeforums has to find a way to fix this (which I don't think they will, since the only solution they've been offering is to delete all the current categories/forums/subboards) I'm pretty sure you could save copies of the topic discussions to your personal computer - as for the media links: we could copy the working ones and post those in the new forum instead.

What do you guys think?
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Oct 2011, 18:54

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

I've talked to them so many times before but they keep telling us that somethings wrong with the way that our forum's constructed, which - to be honest - I don't really understand. We never used to have these problems, so I don't see why it's going wrong all of a sudden...

I've been thinking about this - it's a total mess and it really can't stay this way. So either we have to do something about it, or Freeforums has to find a way to fix this (which I don't think they will, since the only solution they've been offering is to delete all the current categories/forums/subboards) I'm pretty sure you could save copies of the topic discussions to your personal computer - as for the media links: we could copy the working ones and post those in the new forum instead.

What do you guys think?

Well, first I think that the way the forum was built was pretty okay and understandable and not unusual at all. I don't know what these guys from freeforums want. It would be really really sad to loose all the old topics, remarks, photos etc. I have no idea how I would be able to save topics on my computer. Someone would have to tell me how to do that :wink:
As for the media links: I think this would mean a lot of work because a lot of the links shall work no longer anyway (mine are deleted I think as rapidshare changed its rules and I did not pay them). But why not? If this forum seems to act up all the time it's not funny at all :hypnose:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2011, 19:30

Ok so I've checked with freeforums again and there appears to be a solution, but it's highly risky. We (Philippa and) would have to recreate new boards, then move all the topics from the old boards to the new ones, and then delete the oldies. It's risky thing to do but perhaps we'd be able to save at least some threads... I'm not sure if we'd get to keep the old categories and subboards though.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Oct 2011, 21:06

I say go for it. Maybe the troubles will end then! I'm sure most of us have everything on here between us?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Oct 2011, 22:19

Maartje wrote:Ok so I've checked with freeforums again and there appears to be a solution, but it's highly risky. We (Philippa and) would have to recreate new boards, then move all the topics from the old boards to the new ones, and then delete the oldies. It's risky thing to do but perhaps we'd be able to save at least some threads... I'm not sure if we'd get to keep the old categories and subboards though.

Sigh, that is a conundrum, isn't it? I remember I saved some threads awhile back, but then I lost all my files. Can't remember how I did it now--there used to be a download link for it, but it appears to have gone. :shock:
PreviousNext

Return to Helpdesk