Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Temporary troubles with forum boards

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 Oct 2011, 22:53

Re: Temporary troubles with forum boards (updates)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Sigh, that is a conundrum, isn't it? I remember I saved some threads awhile back, but then I lost all my files. Can't remember how I did it now--there used to be a download link for it, but it appears to have gone. :shock:

It's pretty easy actually - every browser offers the 'save page' option I'm sure. I can't tell you the exact steps because I have a Mac now, but the option should be hidden somewhere in the upper left corner of your screen. Your browser just copies the page to your files and I'm pretty sure you can access it from there. (it's an .mht file format I think)

I will have a look into that 'download topic' button that you've just mentioned, Timeless. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Oct 2011, 23:00

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Sigh, that is a conundrum, isn't it? I remember I saved some threads awhile back, but then I lost all my files. Can't remember how I did it now--there used to be a download link for it, but it appears to have gone. :shock:

It's pretty easy actually - every browser offers the 'save page' option I'm sure. I can't tell you the exact steps because I have a Mac now, but the option should be hidden somewhere in the upper left corner of your screen. Your browser just copies the page to your files and I'm pretty sure you can access it from there. (it's an .mht file format I think)

I will have a look into that 'download topic' button that you've just mentioned, Timeless. :yes:

I can't remember exactly what the button was called now, but there was one hanging around. It only let you do one page at a time, though, so threads with a lot of pages took a long time to save. I can't find it now, but perhaps it was part of a different forum layout that's long since gone?

I did a bit of trawling, and came up with a free-to-download program called HTTrack, which is supposed to download websites and let you sort of "load" a saved, offline version. I'm testing it right now using the TNA board. It's been humming away for about half an hour now, but it seems to be working. I'll let you know what the results are when it finishes. :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Oct 2011, 15:44

Maartje wrote:Ok so I've checked with freeforums again and there appears to be a solution, but it's highly risky. We (Philippa and) would have to recreate new boards, then move all the topics from the old boards to the new ones, and then delete the oldies. It's risky thing to do but perhaps we'd be able to save at least some threads... I'm not sure if we'd get to keep the old categories and subboards though.

Sounds good to me! :thumb:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 06 Oct 2011, 00:01

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Maartje wrote:

I can't remember exactly what the button was called now, but there was one hanging around. It only let you do one page at a time, though, so threads with a lot of pages took a long time to save. I can't find it now, but perhaps it was part of a different forum layout that's long since gone?

I did a bit of trawling, and came up with a free-to-download program called HTTrack, which is supposed to download websites and let you sort of "load" a saved, offline version. I'm testing it right now using the TNA board. It's been humming away for about half an hour now, but it seems to be working. I'll let you know what the results are when it finishes. :yes:

That's great Timeless, thanks. It sounds like a good solution (if it works of course).

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
Previous

Return to Helpdesk