Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 03 Jul 2009, 23:36

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era

THX for all the extended info Timeless ...
Yeah , I hate those structured commentaries as well .
Just invite the actors , producers , whatever - show the movie or episode and just let them do their thing !
Anyway , I might double dip to get this set as well then ...
Gonna have a good look around for a good price - well , it is sales time isn't ? :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Jul 2009, 05:49

Philippa wrote:Ooh I'd love to have a set with commentaries. Do you know if these sets are still for sale?

Oh, yes, it was only released a couple years back. I picked mine up from amazon.co.uk. See it here. There are 2 commentaries with Gareth and Brian Clemens, for Dead Men are Dangerous and The Eagle's Nest. Not what I would have chosen--if you had Gareth, then do a Gambit episode, like Target/Faces/Dirtier by the Dozen. It's just sad because we'll never hear Gareth's thoughts on TNA ever again. :no:

Eric wrote:THX for all the extended info Timeless ...
Yeah , I hate those structured commentaries as well .
Just invite the actors , producers , whatever - show the movie or episode and just let them do their thing !
Anyway , I might double dip to get this set as well then ...
Gonna have a good look around for a good price - well , it is sales time isn't ? :wink:

You're very welcome. :grin: I should watch them again one of these days, listen to what they had to say. Been almost a year since I listened to them. It would be nicer if they just let them talk and jumped in only when things went dead. But I love the show--and Gareth--so much that I don't regret buying them, just to listen to him and Brian, who quite clearly thought Gareth/Gambit was the best thing since sliced bread and says so several times, which I thought was very sweet of him. And it's always nice to have a back-up set. So it you're as rabid a fan as I am, go for it. If only I'd been able to ask the questions...
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jul 2009, 00:31

I'm guessing I'll have to invest in one of those boxsets someday soon then :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jul 2009, 13:58

Philippa wrote:I'm guessing I'll have to invest in one of those boxsets someday soon then :grin:

Yep , before they're deleted and going up in price !
My TNA Contender set has the most ridiculous asking prices online now .
Only the other day I saw an asking price of € 250 ! :huh:
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jul 2009, 14:44

WHOA €250?! That's insane!

Anyway, back to Cathy (this is her topic after all :lol: ), I didn't bring my dvds and I'm in the mood for a re-watch. Luckily my parents are going to The Netherlands next week, so hopefully they can bring back my dvds for me :happy:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 05 Jul 2009, 14:50

You're parents are going back, but you're staying in France on your own? I wish I could join you, that would be so much fun. :lol: [/spam]

I really must watch some of the Cathy episodes soon - there were simply so many episodes of the Avengers recorded that it's hard catching up! :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jul 2009, 14:52

Oh it is! There are still so many episodes I need to see! The only era I've seen all the episodes of is TNA.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jul 2009, 16:42

Maartje wrote:I really must watch some of the Cathy episodes soon - there were simply so many episodes of the Avengers recorded that it's hard catching up! :wink:

Yes, 160+ (there would have been more if almost all of season one hadn't been deleted).

It's a wonderful show, and you can spend years on it. I only saw all of them a few years back, and now there are loads of early Cathy/Keel eps I've only seen once and I need to watch again one day. But I needed a break after so many years of just Avengers, so I've been busy discovering other series. But I always come back to the Avengers in the end. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Jul 2009, 14:50

We were right, there's going to be a new dvd release of series 2! :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Jul 2009, 16:37

Oh, very nice! Fandabadozy, to quote Gene! :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Jul 2009, 16:45

So far these extras have been confirmed:

• The surviving Ian Hendry episodes
• Exclusive audio commentary by Producer Leonard White on the surviving footage from the pilot episode Hot Snow
• Police Surgeon – Easy Money (surviving episode starring Ian Hendry of the series that is seen as the predecessor to The Avengers)
• Filmed introduction to Police Surgeon by Producer Leonard White
• Exclusive newly filmed interview with Honor Blackman
• Exclusive audio commentary by writer Martin Woodhouse on Mr Teddy Bear
• Exclusive audio commentary by Producer Leonard White on The Mauritius Penny
• Exclusive audio commentary by writer Roger Marshall on Death of A Great Dane
• Exclusive audio commentary by actress Julie Stevens on A Chorus of Frogs
• Filmed introductions by actress Julie Stevens
• Insert reprint of original Publicity brochure for the first Honor Blackman season
• Insert reprints of Leonard White scrapbooks featuring telesnaps of lost episodes
• PDF material including original scripts
• Extensive stills galleries

And apparently there's more to come! Amazing news isn't it? :squee:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jul 2009, 16:53

Philippa wrote:So far these extras have been confirmed:

• The surviving Ian Hendry episodes
• Exclusive audio commentary by Producer Leonard White on the surviving footage from the pilot episode Hot Snow
• Police Surgeon – Easy Money (surviving episode starring Ian Hendry of the series that is seen as the predecessor to The Avengers)
• Filmed introduction to Police Surgeon by Producer Leonard White
• Exclusive newly filmed interview with Honor Blackman
• Exclusive audio commentary by writer Martin Woodhouse on Mr Teddy Bear
• Exclusive audio commentary by Producer Leonard White on The Mauritius Penny
• Exclusive audio commentary by writer Roger Marshall on Death of A Great Dane
• Exclusive audio commentary by actress Julie Stevens on A Chorus of Frogs
• Filmed introductions by actress Julie Stevens
• Insert reprint of original Publicity brochure for the first Honor Blackman season
• Insert reprints of Leonard White scrapbooks featuring telesnaps of lost episodes
• PDF material including original scripts
• Extensive stills galleries

And apparently there's more to come! Amazing news isn't it? :squee:

More? More?! How can there possibly be more--that's more extras than we've gotten in every other Avengers set combined. Even having seen the Keels and Police Surgeon, they still got loads of people in for commentaries. Even Julie Stevens! (I like Venus. So sue me).

What lovely news! :hyper:
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Jul 2009, 17:04

Amazing isn't it?
So now we know why Honor did the interview she mentioned the other day. I hope she has some interesting new things to say about the show. In most interviews she usually sort of says the same thing (first show where the woman played the physical and intellectual equal of the man) etc..

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jul 2009, 17:08

Philippa wrote:Amazing isn't it?
So now we know why Honor did the interview she mentioned the other day. I hope she has some interesting new things to say about the show. In most interviews she usually sort of says the same thing (first show where the woman played the physical and intellectual equal of the man) etc..

I know what you mean. Most of the Avengers actors do that (I call it their version of Douglas Adams' "I was lying drunk in a field in Innsbruck" story, which he trotted out every time someone asked him how he came up with Hitchhiker's). Even if it is a retread, the other people I've never heard talk, so they should say something new! Particularly Julie! Like I said, I have a soft spot for Venus Smith. How bout you?
<<

Philippa

Post 08 Jul 2009, 17:11

To be honest I haven't seen any of the Venus Smith episodes yet :blush:
I'll try and watch all the series 2 and 3 episodes this summer!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jul 2009, 17:16

Philippa wrote:To be honest I haven't seen any of the Venus Smith episodes yet :blush:
I'll try and watch all the series 2 and 3 episodes this summer!

Aww, I think Venus is a sweet little thing. She gets a bad rap for her musical numbers, and she's always in over her head, but it's always Steed's fault for being a conniving jerk. :lol:

I take it you haven't seen Dr. Martin King, either, then? He's fun, too--him and Keel being our only Avenger guys until our Gambit. Dr. King also happens to be dishy--not Gareth dishy, but dishy nonetheless. Which is good. :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Post 09 Jul 2009, 08:14

And here's the downside of all this, the price:
£59.99 :doubt:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Jul 2009, 16:48

Philippa wrote:And here's the downside of all this, the price:
£59.99 :doubt:

Hmm, that is a bit steep, but considering how many extras there are...
<<

Philippa

Post 09 Jul 2009, 16:54

That's the cheapest one. On some websites they're offering the dvd bos at prices up to 80 pounds I believe!

<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 28 Jul 2009, 15:01

About Honor, she appeared today at 11.30am on the radio, BBC4.
I really liked the way she told us the poems, she's got this power to tell stories, with the appropriate tone. :lol:
Any reference to the Avengers, she didn't take a poem of literary extract which inspired her at that time. However, there was a beautiful one, which inspired her during the GOLDFINGER era.

I tried to see if the show could be recorded, available on demand on the BBC website but unfortunately this program was unique.
:cry:
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Sep 2009, 19:19

Rejoice! Optimum has announced season 3 with a pleothora of extras. I think these sound even better than the last set, if that's possible.

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/base_optimumnews.htm

I'm really excited about these releases because they're so comprehensive. The Gale era is my least favourite (I have eps I love, don't get me wrong, but it's just never captured me the same way), but they've cleaned them up to the extent that I think they're going to be much easier to watch this time around. This is the excuse I have to watch the series in production order. Yay! I can't wait to see what they do with the Emma (my favourite) and Tara eras. If they're half as good they should be fabulous. :hearteyes:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 22 Sep 2009, 21:03

I wonder if they are keeping the 60's wallpaper theme. Or is it just the 'Cathy' era?

Very exciting news, I agree! Aren't we lucky to be Avengers fans!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Sep 2009, 23:47

Avengerdan wrote:I wonder if they are keeping the 60's wallpaper theme. Or is it just the 'Cathy' era?

Very exciting news, I agree! Aren't we lucky to be Avengers fans!

Don't know. I can't wait to see how they package the Emmas, though--those are the releases I'm the most looking forward to. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Sep 2009, 23:52

Very excited about these releases, and especially all the extras.
Though I am a bit disappointed, because I bought the Dutch Cathy releases not too long ao...plus the DVDs are quite expensive. But nontheless, I will definitely buy them at some point :grin:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Sep 2009, 23:55

Philippa wrote:Very excited about these releases, and especially all the extras.
Though I am a bit disappointed, because I bought the Dutch Cathy releases not too long ao...plus the DVDs are quite expensive. But nontheless, I will definitely buy them at some point :grin:

I've only watched my Cathys once for the most part, but I bought them ages ago. I think the better quality of these will encourage me to watch them more often--the A&E ones are really bad.
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers