Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Sep 2009, 09:12

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era

I too struggle through the Cathy Gale era. You really have to sit up and listen - it can be hard work. The filmed seasons - especially the fabulous fourth - you can sit back and let it flow over you.

Apart from the poor picture and sound quality, I find the cool relationship between Steed and Cathy hard going. There's often an atmosphere between them that dampens my enthusiasm and it distances me rather.

Steed is too thoughtless of Cathy and too protective of Tara - with Emma it had the correct balance.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Sep 2009, 16:36

Avengerdan wrote:I too struggle through the Cathy Gale era. You really have to sit up and listen - it can be hard work. The filmed seasons - especially the fabulous fourth - you can sit back and let it flow over you.

Apart from the poor picture and sound quality, I find the cool relationship between Steed and Cathy hard going. There's often an atmosphere between them that dampens my enthusiasm and it distances me rather.

Steed is too thoughtless of Cathy and too protective of Tara - with Emma it had the correct balance.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. When I watch Avengers I usually do it because I'm tired and I want to switch my brain off. I have to exert a lot of effort with the Cathys because it's so hard to see/hear what's going on, and the plots on average tend to be more complicated. That's why I'm hoping the remastering makes them easier viewing. The Emmas/Taras/TNA just wash over me, nice and easy.

I agree with you entirely about the relationship between Steed and Cathy, too. I find watching them yell and scream at each other wears on me, to the point I feel like yelling "Well if you hate each other so much, quit hanging around together! What are you people, masochists?" To Cathy's credit, she does walk away in the end, but I find it unpleasant watching two ill-suited people yell and scream at each other all the time. Oh, and I've probably mentioned this before, but I find Cathy-era Steed really annoying. I know he's a "deeper" character, but the first time I watched the Cathys he grated on me so much I wanted to hit him over the head with his own bowler. He gets on my nerves less now, man, but I still find myself cheering every time Cathy drills him in the shins--it appears to be the only thing he understands!
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 23 Sep 2009, 17:13

Yes! That's why I often think of the 4th season as a remount/revamp oblique/stroke remake.

First, Steed has a personality transplant from the Steed of the 1st 2nd and 3rd season. Second, there's a different theme tune. Third, videotape looks different from film. Lastly, there actually were Emma Peel eposodes that were remakes of Cathy Gale episodes.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 23 Sep 2009, 17:58

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I find watching them yell and scream at each other wears on me, to the point I feel like yelling "Well if you hate each other so much, quit hanging around together! What are you people, masochists?"

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I know he's a "deeper" character, but the first time I watched the Cathys he grated on me so much I wanted to hit him over the head with his own bowler.

Sorry for breaking into the discussion, but can I just add I had a really good laugh reading those two comments? Ok, thanks!

Now: back on-topic. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Sep 2009, 18:22

Avengerdan wrote:Yes! That's why I often think of the 4th season as a remount/revamp oblique/stroke remake.

First, Steed has a personality transplant from the Steed of the 1st 2nd and 3rd season. Second, there's a different theme tune. Third, videotape looks different from film. Lastly, there actually were Emma Peel eposodes that were remakes of Cathy Gale episodes.

That's an interesting take. Makes sense in a lot of ways--they did sort of "reboot" the show every time they brought a new woman on board, but Emma's tenure was a turning point in several ways, which you've listed pretty comprehensively--new girl, new persona for Steed, film, as well as the eventual switch to colour and input from the Americans. And the remakes. The only thing that keeps me from thinking of it as a complete fresh start is the thread of continuity in the "universe" so to speak--references to Cathy and such. But as a series, it was a relaunch. You can sort of split it in half in terms of the mood, too: 1 to 3 are grittier spy thrillers, 4 to 6 are more surreal and fantastic. And slipping down the middle with a foot in each camp is TNA, balancing the grim realities of the job with Purdey and Gambit's off-topic debates and the occasional kilelr bird.

Maartje wrote:Sorry for breaking into the discussion, but can I just add I had a really good laugh reading those two comments? Ok, thanks!

Now: back on-topic. :lol:

Ha, ha, well, I'm glad you got some entertainment value out of it Maartje. :lmao:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 01 Oct 2009, 11:41

:yuk: :blabla: Some plonker on another forum has 'kindly' posted pics of the new DVD set - booklet, discs, etc. Somewhat takes the shine off discovering it for oneself. In their insensitive and arrogant rush to get on the net and scream "Mine's come! Yours hasn't! And here's the proof!" they spoil it for others that might like the surprise element.

Rant over ... :zip:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Oct 2009, 14:09

Oh that is annoying, I agree.
On another note, I'm excited that Honor's going to be on Paul O'Grady soon :hyper:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 01 Oct 2009, 14:21

Yes, the 9th (week tomorrow). Paul's had all the Avenger ladies on - and I think this is Honor's third time - but he's never had an Avengers themed episode. So I hope he will push the boat out this time, with the DVD which Honor has obviously been asked to promote.

The only downside is Brian Conley :yuk: is on with her, so I hope she can get a word in with him around ... :doubt:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Oct 2009, 15:20

Oh, so Honor will be on tomorrow then? I can't get Paul O'Grady here (Channel 4) but I'm sure torrents will appear sooner or later.

Thanks for letting us know!
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Oct 2009, 16:09

No on the 9th. That's Friday next week.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Oct 2009, 16:12

Philippa wrote:No on the 9th. That's Friday next week.

You're right, I'm just tired. Next week it is then. :wink:

Anyway - I'm actually curious to find out what the boxset's like, as I'm pretty sure I won't buy it anyway. Do you mind posting a link?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Oct 2009, 16:53

Mara wrote:

Anyway - I'm actually curious to find out what the boxset's like, as I'm pretty sure I won't buy it anyway. Do you mind posting a link?

I've only just ordered mine a couple of days back. Hopefully I'll get it in a timely fashion.
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 01 Oct 2009, 19:06

Mara wrote:

I can't post a link as it's on another forum (you'd need to be sign up to be a member). Sorry.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Oct 2009, 21:14

Avengerdan wrote:I can't post a link as it's on another forum (you'd need to be sign up to be a member). Sorry.

Oh yes, some forums do want visitors to sign up first before they can view the forum. Doesn't really work if you want to attract more members, but anyway...
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 01 Oct 2009, 21:26

Yes, it's all down to the owners settings I think. I'm sometimes reluctant to 'sign in' at work (as the office rules are quite strict) and view as a 'guest', but with this particular forum I have to. Other forums are so accessable I've been able to read my posts via Google! :faint:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 02 Oct 2009, 14:11

Grrr. :mad: Still waiting for my Avengers DVDs. My status on Amazon is "Still not dispatched". Yet others have got theirs.
:sos:

Don't they know WHO I AM?? :rules:
<<

Philippa

Post 02 Oct 2009, 14:34

How rude!

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Nov 2009, 20:01

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

I'm on the Gale's now, but I have a feeling I can't cope with these episodes for too long. Or, as some user on Youtube described it:

''Steed's such a moron in the earlier episodes. I want to hit him!''

:lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Nov 2009, 20:04

Mara wrote:I'm on the Gale's now, but I have a feeling I can't cope with these episodes for too long. Or, as some user on Youtube described it:

''Steed's such a moron in the earlier episodes. I want to hit him!''

:lmao:

I wanted to beat him over the head with his own bowler. :lol: He's really a bastard in the Gale/Keel years--I dubbed him Steed the Insufferable Jerk, much to the amusement of my fellow Avengers fans. I've been watching season 2, though, and I'm not finding him quite so annoying, and I like Cathy better, too--maybe it's just because I know what to expect, so it's less of a shock.
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Nov 2009, 20:14

Oh yes, Steed's quite the jerk in the Gale era.
But it is funny to watch how Steed fancies himself as a bit of a womanizer, and Cathy just turns him down flat every time :lmao:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Nov 2009, 20:15

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I wanted to beat him over the head with his own bowler. :lol:

That's another way of putting it... :lmao: I agree though, I'm glad they decided to change the character. I just watched him talking with his mouth full in Don't Look Behind You, I mean... manners?! *plays the end of act 1 horror tune*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Nov 2009, 20:46

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I wanted to beat him over the head with his own bowler. :lol:

That's another way of putting it... :lmao: I agree though, I'm glad they decided to change the character. I just watched him talking with his mouth full in Don't Look Behind You, I mean... manners?! *plays the end of act 1 horror tune*

I know. If you're used to charming Emma era Steed, it's like you've had a bucket of cold water dumped over your head--he gets hurt as much as Gambit, burns ropes off his wrists, beats the stuffing our of people, manipulates everyone in sight. He's not a nice character. Part of the reason I've never been big on the Gales is that I could never warm to Steed and Cathy. But I'm watching the episodes again knowing what to expect, so I think I'm more forgiving this time around. But yes, it's the most difficult era to watch in many ways. It can also be very dull and you really have to follow the plots--unlike Emma, it doesn't go down easy. :hypnose:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Nov 2009, 20:54

Timeless A-Peel wrote:If you're used to charming Emma era Steed, it's like you've had a bucket of cold water dumped over your head--he gets hurt as much as Gambit, burns ropes off his wrists, beats the stuffing our of people, manipulates everyone in sight. He's not a nice character.

You're absolutely right there, he's in fact, being a big ass. Gambit can be charming and caring, and he does have a sense of humor that includes teasing Purdey a bit, but it's not like Steed. (who just seems to be making fun of Cathy) You two could have warned me! :lolol:

I agree about the plots as well - this episode's in fact an excellent one for comparing. The fact that sir Cavelier is away and his villain they've caught years ago escaped from jail is given away in the beginning of The Joker. In DLBYB, this is only explained in the last few minutes of the episode, so you have to figure that one out for yourself first. The colour, on the other hand, does benefit the remake, so I'd be impossible for me to say which one I like best.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Nov 2009, 21:08

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:If you're used to charming Emma era Steed, it's like you've had a bucket of cold water dumped over your head--he gets hurt as much as Gambit, burns ropes off his wrists, beats the stuffing our of people, manipulates everyone in sight. He's not a nice character.

You're absolutely right there, he's in fact, being a big ass. Gambit can be charming and caring, and he does have a sense of humor that includes teasing Purdey a bit, but it's not like Steed. (who just seems to be making fun of Cathy) You two could have warned me! :lolol:

Steed's pretty much a jerk, yes. :lolol: If I'd known you were diving into Cathy, I would have warned you. :lol:

The general consensus is that Gambit and Purdey are Steed and Cathy redux, but with some of Steed and Emma thrown in. Gambit actually had morals and ethics--Steed left them in his other pants. Gambit's fiercely loyal, adores Purdey for more than the potential to get in her pants, and actually likes Purdey. She actually likes him, too, and they joke and talk. I never get the sense Cathy really likes Steed, just tolerates him. Purdey and Gambit are actually friends who enjoy spending time with each other, and who would probably get even closer if it weren't for Purdey's rocky past. Plus, they both actually have a sense of humour--I always thought Cathy could benefit from being a little more ligt-hearted. If you want a demo of how well that would have worked, qatch Death Dispatch, teh first episode Honor ever did. She plays Cathy as friendlier with Steed, and in some ways I prefer it, but Sydney Newman told her if she ver smiled likethat again, she was fired--he wanted Cathy to be tougher than that!

The Gales are best when they're doing some really gritty tesnes stuff that later series shied away from. In many ways TNA is more like Cathy's era, in that it does more things with the characters, was willing to really put tem in danger and hurt them. Cathy is the first Avengers girl to be shot, and Purdey was the only other one. If you want my picks for best Cathy, just ask. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Nov 2009, 21:16

I think Steed actually annoys Cathy, as far as I can tell by the looks she gives him. So what can I say besides that I love Gambit and Purdey even more now? :lol: Steed works great with Emma, but it's always a bit more flirtatious than Purdey will ever allow Gambit to be. In literature class, I had this lecture on lolita characters in novels: the woman who's taking advantage of her charm and looks in many ways, and the innocent, (and sometimes slightly naive) sweet girl. I suppose I don't need to explain which characters I thought of first.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:If you want my picks for best Cathy, just ask. :grin:

Yes, please!
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers