Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 30 Nov 2009, 21:40

Re: The Avengers: the Cathy Gale era / Honor Blackman talk

Mara wrote:I think Steed actually annoys Cathy, as far as I can tell by the looks she gives him. So what can I say besides that I love Gambit and Purdey even more now? :lol: Steed works great with Emma, but it's always a bit more flirtatious than Purdey will ever allow Gambit to be. In literature class, I had this lecture on lolita characters in novels: the woman who's taking advantage of her charm and looks in many ways, and the innocent, (and sometimes slightly naive) sweet girl. I suppose I don't need to explain which characters I thought of first.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:If you want my picks for best Cathy, just ask. :grin:

Yes, please!

I think Cathy finds Steed supremely annoying. :lol: Because he is. It does make you love Purdey and Gambit more when you can see their roots and how well they turned out the second time around. :wink: Purdey and Gambit flirt, too, but they also have this tendency to start talking about things other than the case, which makes them more well-rounded characters than Steed and Emma--there's more of a sense of their lives and them as people outside the job.

If the Gale era is driving you mad, I'd recommend you go for all the really tense, twisty, gritty spy capers that era does so well. Some of them can be quite grim, but in a good way. My favourite Gales, the few that I've watched more than once (at least until now with the new DVDs), are usually in that category. Have a look at Intercrime (Cathy undercover--in a prison for awhile, no less!), The Nutshell and The Wringer (Steed as a traitor), The Guilded Cage (crime caper), and The Charmers (silly fun, later remade as The Correct Way to Kill. I love Fennella Fielding as Kim--she's fun). Flee in the opposite direction from Immortal Clay (pottery is not exciting--trust me) and my first Cathy The Grandeur That Was Rome. Stuffy boring men are not fun to watch talking, even if they are in a toga. It's a wonder I ever watched a second Gale after that one. :lol: But there are gems in there, I promise you. Give t hose a shot. :thumb:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Dec 2009, 13:12

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Purdey and Gambit flirt, too, but they also have this tendency to start talking about things other than the case, which makes them more well-rounded characters than Steed and Emma--there's more of a sense of their lives and them as people outside the job.

Absolutely true. Conclusion: the New Avengers is the best, why won't people just see that? :lol:

Thanks for those tips - it will probably take me ages to watch them all, but at least I know where to start now. :yes: (I'm such a newbie to the other era's, haha)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Dec 2009, 18:45

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Purdey and Gambit flirt, too, but they also have this tendency to start talking about things other than the case, which makes them more well-rounded characters than Steed and Emma--there's more of a sense of their lives and them as people outside the job.

Absolutely true. Conclusion: the New Avengers is the best, why won't people just see that? :lol:

Thanks for those tips - it will probably take me ages to watch them all, but at least I know where to start now. :yes: (I'm such a newbie to the other era's, haha)

Well, I love the Emma era, but TNA is much better than a lot people gave it credit for for so many years. Purdey and Gambit are awesome. :grin:

There's a lot of Cathy out there. For someone used to Emma, it's a hard transition, but those episodes ought to keep you happy (and if you want picks for other eras, I have lots of those, too. I've seen 'em all. :angel: )
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jan 2010, 20:01

Philippa will be happy to hear this, because I've been watching season 2 of the Avengers. I'm about halfway through, and I've hardly remembered any of the plots, mostly because I've only seen a lot of the Cathys once, and that was several years ago. The Gale era has always been my least favourite--the plots were often dull, Cathy seemed humourless, Steed was infuriating. Well, I don't know what it is, but I'm really enjoying myself this time around! It might have something to do with having no expectations, so everything comes across as a pleasant surprise. It might be that I know what to expect a little bit, so things like Steed's personality aren't so jarring, and thus don't grate as much. But I think the plots have been good, Steed not as annoying, and I'm liking Cathy better than I have. She smiles more than I remember, and I find myself cheering when she puts somebody in his place when he deserves it. Yay, Cathy! My opinion of you has gone up five-fold. :hyper:

Of course, it could all go wrong now I've said it, and the second half I could be totally bored by. But it goes to show that the Gale era has stuff to recommend it.

Watching this makes me think about a story idea I had awhile back. I want to pair Gambit and Cathy up in Africa in the early seventies, just the two of them, her older and long past Steed, him younger and not due to meet Steed or Purdey for years, and have them team up to fight some sort of corruption in their capacities not as spies but as Captain Michael Gambit and Dr. Catherine Gale. In my head, this has already happened, and if you go back and read "Brazil," the part where they finally find Purdey, Gambit mentions it to Purdey in passing. But it makes me think a ways int the future, when I've finished everything else, I could write it as a sort of "prequel" story. Who knows?
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Jan 2010, 20:37

Double yay! One yay for liking the Cathy era better than before, and another yay for the possibility of another fic! This is really exciting! :hyper:
Have you got the new Optimum DVD boxset for the Cathy era? If you do, how's the quality?

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jan 2010, 21:02

Philippa wrote:Double yay! One yay for liking the Cathy era better than before, and another yay for the possibility of another fic! This is really exciting! :hyper:
Have you got the new Optimum DVD boxset for the Cathy era? If you do, how's the quality?

Yes, it's the new Optimum set I'm watching. I'm going to buy all their sets, and I'm using the releases to do something I've long wanted to, that is, watching the whole show in production order. For me, the quality is a huge reason why I never got into the Cathys as much--I couldn't hear or see what was going on, and that made it really hard to enjoy the plots. Sometimes, if there were two blonde women in the shot, I couldn't make out which was Cathy! But this set--oh, the quality is gorgeous. The picture is crystal clear--it looks like the black and white Riggs, that's how good it is. The sound's been cleaned up huge, too. Now, there are patches where it's a little tough to see or hear, simply because of the way it was made, but it's a 150% improvement. I can finally watch it easily. It's definitely worth getting--the picture's gorgeous. I can now appreciate Cathy's glorious wardrobe to its full extent (her and Emma--still the best-dressed Avengers girls). I don't remember many of the plots, either, and I'm having a wonderful time seeing actors I didn't know the first time around, like William Gaunt from The Champions, and the guy who played Craig in Faces. That means he hits on both Cathy and Purdey--the blonde Avengers girls! Discrimination! :lmao:

I don't know when or even if I'll get to that fic--it's something I'd do once the arc was all finished, something I hope to accomplish this year (but we'll see how that works out once I'm back in school. :lol: ) But it is an idea, and I'd like to explore it. Cathy and Gambit both spent time in Africa, so there are a lot of possibilities. Gambit and Cathy in a torrid affair...nah, just messing with you. :thumb:
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Jan 2010, 21:25

That's great to hear! The Optimum sets are quite expensive, so it might be a while before I get round to buying them, but I definitely will at some point :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jan 2010, 22:22

Philippa wrote:That's great to hear! The Optimum sets are quite expensive, so it might be a while before I get round to buying them, but I definitely will at some point :yes:

They're so worth it. This is probably the only time we're going to get decent extras. I haven't listened to the commentaries yet, but I'm going to once I finish watching all the episodes. I particularly like the Julie Stevens intros. I like Venus and I'm not afraid to admit it. :grin:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 24 Jan 2010, 14:13

Philippa wrote:That's great to hear! The Optimum sets are quite expensive, so it might be a while before I get round to buying them, but I definitely will at some point :yes:

I think you're doing the right thing by waiting. The prices are already dropping and will fall further still and of course the first batch of discs were inherently faulty. I will possibly wait for the second volume because I have watchable versions of these episodes already - the first volume had not been released in the UK before.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Feb 2010, 18:34

Sure this will make our trip to London even better:

:d
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Feb 2010, 19:09

Mara wrote:Sure this will make our trip to London even better:

:d

I can't believe you get to go see Honor, too! Jealous, jealous, jealous! :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Feb 2010, 20:12

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can't believe you get to go see Honor, too! Jealous, jealous, jealous! :lol:

Well, if it wasn't for the Avengers forum, we wouldn't have known. I really hope she's willing to sign my Words For You CD, and perhaps pose for a picture? :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Feb 2010, 20:26

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can't believe you get to go see Honor, too! Jealous, jealous, jealous! :lol:

Well, if it wasn't for the Avengers forum, we wouldn't have known. I really hope she's willing to sign my Words For You CD, and perhaps pose for a picture? :wink:

I'n sure she will. You'll have to tell me all about it when you get back. :yes:
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Feb 2010, 22:47

I'll have to bring one of my Avengers DVD boxes now :lol:
Barry told me about this yesterday on Facebook, but I hadn't seen that poster yet. We are so going there! :hyper: :heart:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Mar 2010, 19:12

As you've probably already read, we went to the signing session. We were by far the youngest people there, but we were most welcome. The shop owner was really kind and the whole thing was pretty well organised. We were one of the first to arrive, as we wanted to buy some more stuff there. (which we did, uploads later) We had to wait for some time however, because Honor, sweet as she is, took a lot of time to talk to everyone individually. They played the Goldfinger theme and Avengers songs (the Emma peel tune though, how silly...) but no Kinky Boots unfortunately haha. (so Philippa and I just sang it)

When Honor came in, everyone was just quit and just looking at her. She's so elegant and beautiful for her age, unbelievable. I think both Philippa and I stood there staring at her with splitting smiles as she walked past us: at least she greeted us and smiled back.

When it was our turn to walk up to the table she was sitting at, she was just casually drinking from her cappuccino and the first thing she asked us if she had a coffee mustache. :lmao: She signed Philippa Avengers book first as Pussy Gallore until Phil pointed out it was really the Avengers merchanse she was signing ahaha. So she just put + Cathy Gale and apologised haha. I'd brought my Words For You CD cover which she had apparently never seen because she commented on how lovely it had turned out to be. Philippa told her we were very happy to be at the signing session because it was just luck we'd booked our stay in London that weekend and would otherwise have still been in the Netherlands. She asked what we were doing in the Netherlands (work or so) so we told her we were Dutchies, which surprised her, I guess. Philippa told her she studies English to which she replied: ''Yes well, I study Spanish too but I sound nowhere fluent''.

Then she posed for a picture and thanked us for coming. A really lovely meeting that was. :grin:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Mar 2010, 19:24

Mara wrote:As you've probably already read, we went to the signing session. We were by far the youngest people there, but we were most welcome. The shop owner was really kind and the whole thing was pretty well organised. We were one of the first to arrive, as we wanted to buy some more stuff there. (which we did, uploads later) We had to wait for some time however, because Honor, sweet as she is, took a lot of time to talk to everyone individually. They played the Goldfinger theme and Avengers songs (the Emma peel tune though, how silly...) but no Kinky Boots unfortunately haha. (so Philippa and I just sang it)

When Honor came in, everyone was just quit and just looking at her. She's so elegant and beautiful for her age, unbelievable. I think both Philippa and I stood there staring at her with splitting smiles as she walked past us: at least she greeted us and smiled back.

When it was our turn to walk up to the table she was sitting at, she was just casually drinking from her cappuccino and the first thing she asked us if she had a coffee mustache. :lmao: She signed Philippa Avengers book first as Pussy Gallore until Phil pointed out it was really the Avengers merchanse she was signing ahaha. So she just put + Cathy Gale and apologized haha. I'd brought my Words For You CD cover which she had apparently never seen because she commented on how lovely it had turned out to be. Philippa told her we were very happy to be at the signing session because it was just luck we'd booked our stay in London that weekend and would otherwise have still been in the Netherlands. She asked what we were doing in the Netherlands (work or so) so we told her we were Dutchies, which she was apparently suprised to hear. (even though Philippa studies it) ''Yes well, I study Spanish too but I sound nowhere fluent'' was her reply.

Then she posed for a picture and thanked us for coming. A really lovely meeting that was. :grin:

Oh, wow, that's so cool! :squee: Honor sounds so sweet and down to earth (coffee mustache at all), and she looks fabulous for her age. I'm so glad you got to see her. What a lovely lady. :yes:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 02 Mar 2010, 23:42

What a great story and what a lovely picture of you both.
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Mar 2010, 00:25

Well, I'm not going to be writing the whole story here again since Maartje's already done that, but here's my picture :grin:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Mar 2010, 18:06

Aw, your picture is so sweet! I should have tried to sit a bit closer to her as well, your picture is lovely.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Aug 2010, 23:31

I didn't think it would be possible for me to love PURRR as a source for any Avengers info. even more, until I found this video: http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avengers/divers_06.htm (scroll down page)

It's an interview with Honor Blackman... at Vintage Magazine Store, where we were at the very moment this video was filmed. :squee:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Aug 2010, 16:13

Maartje wrote:I didn't think it would be possible for me to love PURRR as a source for any Avengers info. even more, until I found this video: http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avengers/divers_06.htm (scroll down page)

It's an interview with Honor Blackman... at Vintage Magazine Store, where we were at the very moment this video was filmed. :squee:

I saw this was on PURRR and thought of you guys, though I haven't watched it yet. It's so unfair--I've been an Avengers fan 12 years this month, and I haven't meant one cast member. You guys have hit two within the space of a year. Why can't Linda Thorson come home to Canada? :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Aug 2010, 16:32

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It's so unfair--I've been an Avengers fan 12 years this month, and I haven't meant one cast member. You guys have hit two within the space of a year. Why can't Linda Thorson come home to Canada? :lol:

I feel for you, and believe me, I would have been willing to have swapped places with you when I met Honor. :hug: I do like her, she's the most awesome 82 year-old I have ever met haha, but being devoted to a show for such a long time can't just compete with liking someone.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Aug 2010, 16:39

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:It's so unfair--I've been an Avengers fan 12 years this month, and I haven't meant one cast member. You guys have hit two within the space of a year. Why can't Linda Thorson come home to Canada? :lol:

I feel for you, and believe me, I would have been willing to have swapped places with you when I met Honor. :hug: I do like her, she's the most awesome 82 year-old I have ever met haha, but being devoted to a show for such a long time can't just compete with liking someone.

Aw, don't feel too bad--I'm really glad you've been able to meet them both. :hug: If I was really honest, I'm not entirely sure if I'd want to meet the people behind the show or not--part of me does, and part of me wonders if it would ruin the illusion. It's hard to describe--I guess because it's the characters more than the actors that I'm interested in? I dunno. :lol: Regardless, I'm just feeling sorry for myself because I'm sick--pay me no heed. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Aug 2010, 16:44

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Aw, don't feel too bad--I'm really glad you've been able to meet them both. :hug: If I was really honest, I'm not entirely sure if I'd want to meet the people behind the show or not--part of me does, and part of me wonders if it would ruin the illusion. It's hard to describe--I guess because it's the characters more than the actors that I'm interested in? I dunno. :lol: Regardless, I'm just feeling sorry for myself because I'm sick--pay me no heed. :lol:

I think I know what you mean - I've felt the same way for a very long time, but then I figured that the people I really wanted to meet, were the celebs I adore because of their personality as well as their work. Meeting Joanna for instance, only changed my idea of Pats in a way that I find that character even more brilliant now that I know that the woman playing her is so lovely herself. Of course watching a show after you've met the (leading) actor will change the way you'll look at that particular series forever, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Don't worry about feeling a little sorry for you: I've felt the same for years when it came down to Joanna. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Aug 2010, 16:51

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Aw, don't feel too bad--I'm really glad you've been able to meet them both. :hug: If I was really honest, I'm not entirely sure if I'd want to meet the people behind the show or not--part of me does, and part of me wonders if it would ruin the illusion. It's hard to describe--I guess because it's the characters more than the actors that I'm interested in? I dunno. :lol: Regardless, I'm just feeling sorry for myself because I'm sick--pay me no heed. :lol:

I think I know what you mean - I've felt the same way for a very long time, but then I figured that the people I really wanted to meet, were the celebs I adore because of their personality as well as their work. Meeting Joanna for instance, only changed my idea of Pats in a way that I find that character even more brilliant now that I know that the woman playing her is so lovely herself. Of course watching a show after you've met the (leading) actor will change the way you'll look at that particular series forever, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Don't worry about feeling a little sorry for you: I've felt the same for years when it came down to Joanna. :lol:

Yeah, part of me wants to tell her how much some of the stuff she's done has meant to me, how much I've enjoyed it. I think the reticent part comes from being Canadian and inherently not wanting to take up people's time. :lol: We're bred to pretend we don't see celebrities on the street and look past them at that really interesting tree. I know I'd feel like a jerk asking Joanna to do anything more than sign something, let alone talk to her and ask for a picture. I mentioned I'm an introvert, too, right? :lol:

But oh, the things I'd love to ask her about TNA... ^^
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers