Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Nov 2010, 18:24

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Hey, we're all allowed one or two obsessions with a particular series right? Nothing wrong with that. :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 14 Nov 2010, 18:41

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Maartje wrote:Hey, we're all allowed one or two obsessions with a particular series right? Nothing wrong with that. :whistle:


Absolutely not. Of course, I'm not biased at all. :whistle:

You can never have too many Avengers books, Dandy. :thumb:
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Dec 2010, 01:04

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Just been playing with a gif. website and made this on the spot.

Nothing special, just a practice - but out of context it looks a bit rude.

Image GIFSoup
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Dec 2010, 11:48

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Wahey - you picked one of my favourite Peel episodes, right there. Nice work. :whistle:
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Dec 2010, 14:18

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

http://www.gifsoup.com/ is the address. Quite simple but rather time consuming.
Image
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Dec 2010, 17:22

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Can't see anything :doubt:

There is a one page interview with Patrick Macnee about The Avengers book in a TV guide today; I'll save it and scan it in.
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Dec 2010, 03:03

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Avengerdan wrote:Just been playing with a gif. website and made this on the spot.

Nothing special, just a practice - but out of context it looks a bit rude.

Image GIFSoup


At least he's considerate about hand warmth. :lol:

Looking forward to the Patrick article, Laura. :grin:
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 30 Dec 2010, 20:49

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Rare footage of Diana Rigg at the ATV Today Television awards in 1966

http://www.macearchive.org/Media.html?Title=30725#

David Lloyd reports from the TV World television awards at Penns Hall in Sutton Coldfield. Interviews with Diana Rigg and Jimmy Tarbuck.

DescriptionWe see various people receiving awards: actress Diana Rigg; producer Rex Firkin (on behalf of actor Patrick Wymark for his role in The Power Game); an ABC Television executive on behalf of Eamonn Andrews; presenter Jimmy Tarbuck; producer Reg Watson for Crossroads (ITV programme of the year); associate producer Reg Hill for Thunderbirds; Jean Morton for the Tingha and Tucker Club; and director Peter Robinson for This Week.

We then see guests to the event dancing (including Diana Rigg) and David Lloyd interviews Rigg about her return to acting in Stratford and her role in The Avengers. Their interview ends with the pair carrying on with their dance. David Lloyd ends the report with an interview with Jimmy Tarbuck who has been named as top light entertainment personality and talks about recent problems with his Palladium Show.


Diana is seen at the beginning collecting a Best Actress award and then at 6min 30sec in dancing and talking about her John Bates dress, returning to the Statford Upon Avon stage and The Avengers. Very sadly the sound cuts out just as she's getting stuck in. Sorry.

PS - I've tried to send this to The Avengers Forum but it seems to be temporarily down.
Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 30 Dec 2010, 21:58

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Avengerdan wrote:Rare footage of Diana Rigg at the ATV Today Television awards in 1966

http://www.macearchive.org/Media.html?Title=30725#

David Lloyd reports from the TV World television awards at Penns Hall in Sutton Coldfield. Interviews with Diana Rigg and Jimmy Tarbuck.

DescriptionWe see various people receiving awards: actress Diana Rigg; producer Rex Firkin (on behalf of actor Patrick Wymark for his role in The Power Game); an ABC Television executive on behalf of Eamonn Andrews; presenter Jimmy Tarbuck; producer Reg Watson for Crossroads (ITV programme of the year); associate producer Reg Hill for Thunderbirds; Jean Morton for the Tingha and Tucker Club; and director Peter Robinson for This Week.

We then see guests to the event dancing (including Diana Rigg) and David Lloyd interviews Rigg about her return to acting in Stratford and her role in The Avengers. Their interview ends with the pair carrying on with their dance. David Lloyd ends the report with an interview with Jimmy Tarbuck who has been named as top light entertainment personality and talks about recent problems with his Palladium Show.


Diana is seen at the beginning collecting a Best Actress award and then at 6min 30sec in dancing and talking about her John Bates dress, returning to the Statford Upon Avon stage and The Avengers. Very sadly the sound cuts out just as she's getting stuck in. Sorry.

PS - I've tried to send this to The Avengers Forum but it seems to be temporarily down.


Aw, thanks for that. ^^ Diana looked lovely there in her John Bates. I think that's the most candid I've ever heard her--she seems very relaxed and happy there. I really enjoyed that. :yes:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 01 Nov 2013, 04:03

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Purdey in a leather catsuit would have been sensational ! Read that one of Joanna Lumley's favourite Purdey poses was her in a leather jacket (cheeky she said) ! Top class !
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Dec 2013, 00:58

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Emma Peel...the ultimate Avenger Girl, Timeless ?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 06 Dec 2013, 14:51

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

martyoreen wrote:Emma Peel...the ultimate Avenger Girl, Timeless ?


No argument here. :thumb: Cathy Gale was the trailblazer and set the standard, but Emma had it all--smart, witty, sophisticated, intelligent, multi-talented, beautiful, and held her own in a fight. Because Cathy had already shown that a woman could be smart and physically capable, Emma was able to be the same without sacrificing her femininity to the same extent--she could be warmer than Cathy, dress a little more youthful/playful, have more of a sense of humour and a better relationship with Steed, because Cathy cleared the way for her to an extent, but without it coming at the expense of some other skills. I remember reading a great phrase that summed the women up rather nicely: "Cathy created the mould, Emma broke it, and Tara and Purdey did their best to fill it." They were all good in their own way, but Emma will always be my favourite. ^^
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 07 Dec 2013, 04:36

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Thanks for your very interesting response(and email) ! Any area you think Purdey might match or even be superior to Emma ? Purdey obviously had thoughts on Emma ! What were they ? '' I didn't mention Mrs Emma Peel !'' with Gambit's response to Purdey of ''Tut-tut ! You never do !'' drawing from her a snoot look and a flick of her boot . Does the response of Purdey indicate her jealousy of Emma's effect on Steed and her annoyance at Gambits thoughts on Emma ? Is the flick of her boot her signalling that she thinks she could easily take Emma down in a physical tussle ? What do you think Timeless ?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Dec 2013, 00:02

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

martyoreen wrote:Thanks for your very interesting response(and email) ! Any area you think Purdey might match or even be superior to Emma ? Purdey obviously had thoughts on Emma ! What were they ? '' I didn't mention Mrs Emma Peel !'' with Gambit's response to Purdey of ''Tut-tut ! You never do !'' drawing from her a snoot look and a flick of her boot . Does the response of Purdey indicate her jealousy of Emma's effect on Steed and her annoyance at Gambits thoughts on Emma ? Is the flick of her boot her signalling that she thinks she could easily take Emma down in a physical tussle ? What do you think Timeless ?


I didn't send an e-mail...? :huh: But I'm glad you found my post interesting. :grin: It's all down to opinion in the end, of course, but Emma just seemed to have everything. She was incredibly confident, too, but not aloof/unfriendly. She treated people well, unless they treated her badly, at which point she'd put them in their place (and they deserved it).

I'm trying to think of some measure where I'd personally rank Purdey above Emma as a character, but I love Emma's character so much, it's tough. I suppose the biggest advantage Purdey has over Emma is that Purdey was created as a "thicker cardboard" character, meant to be more realistic, because that was what TNA was about more as a series, whereas the Emma was meant to be lighter and more fantasy-oriented. So Purdey seems more "real" than Emma, who is a bit of a super-heroine. That means Purdey had more opportunities to show raw emotion than Emma did. But that's true of TNA as a whole--it had a more of an emotional dimension to it as a whole. Gambit and Steed were given more opportunities for that sort of thing as well. So that's less to do with the character than the broader context, I suppose. If their eras had been reversed, Purdey would have probably had a million talents, and Emma might have cried more.

I have absolutely no doubts that Purdey was jealous of Emma. Of all of Steed's partners, she would have been the one to beat. Steed was clearly fondest of her, but I think Gambit's interest in Emma rankles just as much or more. I can see Gambit being very interested in Emma, at least in concept--I think he'd be more of an Emma man than a Tara or Cathy one--so I suspect he's talked about her in admiring terms before to Purdey, possibly even to wind her up a bit. It's a bit of a (one-sided) competition, I suspect--Purdey measuring herself up against the most formidable of her predecessors. I don't know if she's thinking of it in terms of could she take her in a fight--in fact, I'd say the opposite, that if she met her, she could outcharm her, outtalk her, basically prove herself to be just as capable and formidable. I think it's a case of "what's she got that I haven't?", but she knows the effect Emma's had, and that she has big shoes to fill. Mentioning her tends to rub the salt in the wound a bit, I suspect. :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Dec 2013, 03:45

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Apologies...Staff sent email ! Thanks for a very insightful response ! Love your ''what's she got that I haven't ?'' and the way you reckon Purdey would set about competing with her most formidable predecessor ! Her wearing of a catsuit early in the series may be a first ''what's she got that I haven't ?'' statement from Purdey- that she's more than a match for Emma ! Outcharm and outtalk Emma ,I wonder how Purdey would fare if she used this modus operandi ? Win and Steed would be impressed ! Gambit I think would need a different method to impress -Purdey throwing Emma a snooty look and taking her down in a tussle ..... brownie points for the taking ! How would she fare against Emma on both counts Timeless ?Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Dec 2013, 15:32

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

martyoreen wrote:Apologies...Staff sent email ! Thanks for a very insightful response ! Love your ''what's she got that I haven't ?'' and the way you reckon Purdey would set about competing with her most formidable predecessor ! Her wearing of a catsuit early in the series may be a first ''what's she got that I haven't ?'' statement from Purdey- that she's more than a match for Emma ! Outcharm and outtalk Emma ,I wonder how Purdey would fare if she used this modus operandi ? Win and Steed would be impressed ! Gambit I think would need a different method to impress -Purdey throwing Emma a snooty look and taking her down in a tussle ..... brownie points for the taking ! How would she fare against Emma on both counts Timeless


Oh, good. I was worried for a second there I was sending e-mails I had no memory of. :lol:

The green bodysuit was an obvious nod to the Emmapeelers, though Joanna herself hated it and called it "the green slime." They never put her in anything similar again, I notice (unless you count her ballet leotards, but she wears those for workouts, not to fight), which is just as well. The series was very good at making each of the women unique, as opposed to just four different versions of the same character, which made for a better series, again why it's hard to compare them.

I always picture Purdey as wanting to compete more actively than Emma would if they met. Emma's pretty secure in herself, and I suspect would be more amused than anything if Purdey felt she had something to prove--Emma's not particularly catty, and I think she'd understand Purdey's position and do her best to defuse the situation while preserving her dignity, and hopefully Purdey would take the hint and they could interact on a reasonably comfortable basis. If she didn't, then Emma would be more frank and ask her what exactly her problem was when she's only been friendly to her. And they'd work it out from there. I can't see them ever coming to physical blows over it, but of the two, I'd say Emma's the more experienced fighter--she's just studied different martial arts for longer.

Steed would be amused about the whole situation as Emma would, and would have some gentle comment about how lovely it is to have so many dear friends. Gambit doesn't really need impressing--he has it bad for Purdey anyway. He'd enjoy flirting with Emma, I think, particularly to wind Purdey up (she does the same to him all the time), but at the end of the day, it'd be pretty clear where his real interest lay. :wink:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Dec 2013, 04:06

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

ImageThanks Timeless for a most interesting reply ! I wonder why Joanna hated the green bodysuit ! We also had a glimpse of her wearing fur coat and long boots in the first show, a style we didn't see again in the series !
If Emma was calling round to Gambit's' Joanna should wear her hat, leopardprint coat and long boots ! No woman has matched Joanna in this outfit ! Be there to open Gambit's door to Emma ! From what you've said about Emma, Timeless, she'd probably tell Purdey how stunning she looks in it and cheekily ask to try it on ! Like you Timeless I think they would never come to blows ! Yet, if Purdey did block Emma's entry, in a challenging way, to Gambit's I don't think Emma would back down. I think her judo skills are superior and she's a stronger woman than Purdey ! I could well imagine Emma throwing Purdey over her shoulder and making a witty remark to Gambit as she lands in his bed ! Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Dec 2013, 14:25

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

martyoreen wrote:ImageThanks Timeless for a most interesting reply ! I wonder why Joanna hated the green bodysuit ! We also had a glimpse of her wearing fur coat and long boots in the first show, a style we didn't see again in the series !
If Emma was calling round to Gambit's' Joanna should wear her hat, leopardprint coat and long boots ! No woman has matched Joanna in this outfit ! Be there to open Gambit's door to Emma ! From what you've said about Emma, Timeless, she'd probably tell Purdey how stunning she looks in it and cheekily ask to try it on ! Like you Timeless I think they would never come to blows ! Yet, if Purdey did block Emma's entry, in a challenging way, to Gambit's I don't think Emma would back down. I think her judo skills are superior and she's a stronger woman than Purdey ! I could well imagine Emma throwing Purdey over her shoulder and making a witty remark to Gambit as she lands in his bed ! Image


Well, Joanna's fashions went through a bit of an upheaval because the original costume designer, Catherine Buckley, couldn't design enough fashions to keep up with the shooting schedule, so they had to drop her, which is why those sort of printed pantsuits from the early episodes disappear for more dresses. The green slime bodysuit wasn't particularly attractive, either, so I can see why it wasn't used again. All Joanna wanted was practical, no-nonsense clothes to do her stunts in, with some decent footwear. Running in heels is not fun--I'm still surprised she didn't snap an ankle.

I suspect the above scenario is directly downloaded from one of Gambit's dreams, and has no chance of becoming reality. :lol:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Dec 2013, 18:16

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I suspect the above scenario is directly downloaded from one of Gambit's dreams, and has no chance of becoming reality. :lol:


I reckon you know Gambit's mind better than anyone else (except Purdey perhaps) :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Dec 2013, 21:17

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I suspect the above scenario is directly downloaded from one of Gambit's dreams, and has no chance of becoming reality. :lol:


I reckon you know Gambit's mind better than anyone else (except Purdey perhaps) :lol:


Thank you. It's taken many years of careful study. :thumb:

As Purdey said, "If it's five minutes before midnight at the discotheque, and you've had a few drinks, sometimes I can tell what you're thinking." But honestly, at that point I think just about anyone could figure out what was going in Gambit's brain. :lmao:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Dec 2013, 03:49

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Love your comment Mara ! The scenario I reckon not quite that improbable Timeless...! Emma ensuring Purdey has a safe landing..!Image :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Dec 2013, 14:40

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

martyoreen wrote:Love your comment Mara ! The scenario I reckon not quite that improbable Timeless...! Emma ensuring Purdey has a safe landing..! :wink:


I have sudden images of Emma teaching Purdey a few tricks, and Gambit suddenly being very afraid when Purdey asks him to help her practice. :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Dec 2013, 16:09

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Emma teaching Purdey new tricks...now there's a scenario...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Dec 2013, 19:51

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

Emma giving Purdey tips on karate and kung fu would be no end of fun. Gambit would steadfastly refuse to go anywhere near either of them for the duration for his own health and safety. :lmao:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 277

Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:39

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Dec 2013, 02:07

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

It certainly would be...! Gambit might head to the Netherlands...return with Adele Bloemendaal as his girlfriend...!ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred