Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Dec 2013, 14:35

Re: The Avengers: the Emma Peel era / Diana Rigg talk

martyoreen wrote:It certainly would be...! Gambit might head to the Netherlands...return with Adele Bloemendaal as his girlfriend...!ImageImage

Man, they took loads of photos with Adele, didn't they? You could tell they wanted to take advantage of the fact Joanna was over there. :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 11 Dec 2013, 19:48

They certainly did...!Image
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 19 Dec 2013, 02:09

Uma Thurman as Emma Peel ?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Dec 2013, 14:35

martyoreen wrote:Uma Thurman as Emma Peel ?

No. Just no. :doubt:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 20 Dec 2013, 00:35

Sentence should have been 'What did people think of Uma Thurman as Emma Peel in the film The Avengers ? I've gathered from your reply, Timeless , you're not a big fan !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Dec 2013, 14:18

martyoreen wrote:Sentence should have been 'What did people think of Uma Thurman as Emma Peel in the film The Avengers ? I've gathered from your reply, Timeless , you're not a big fan !

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who's a big fan of Uma as Emma. There are one or two fans who steadfast lovers of the movie, but for the most part all Avengers fans (and non-fans) are not happy with the way the movie turned out. I personally think it's not a bad movie in and of itself, but it's a terrible Avengers movie. Uma was horribly miscast as Emma--everything about her was wrong for the part. Ralph Fiennes was no better as Steed. They botched the casting quite badly. It was really a mess.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 21 Dec 2013, 15:56

Agreed ... who would you have cast in the Steed and Emma roles ? Liked scene at Telephone booth ...walking on water in those 'baloons' and Seán Connery !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Dec 2013, 21:10

martyoreen wrote:Agreed ... who would you have cast in the Steed and Emma roles ? Liked scene at Telephone booth ...walking on water in those 'baloons' and Seán Connery !

As I said in the other thread, Stephen Fry circa mid-1990s I think would have made a decent Steed. I have no idea about Emma. Someone with a bit more energy than Uma gave her, hopefully!

The balloons on the water were pretty neat, I agree. Visually, it's a very attractive movie. It's the casting that lets it down.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 23 Dec 2013, 00:16

Thanks ! Agree ...it is visually attractive ..casting poor ! Not easy to cast an excellent Emma or Steed ... I've no idea for either at the moment !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Dec 2013, 14:29

martyoreen wrote:Thanks ! Agree ...it is visually attractive ..casting poor ! Not easy to cast an excellent Emma or Steed ... I've no idea for either at the moment !

It's extremely difficult, which is why I'm not entirely sure it should be done. I thought Sean Connery didn't make a bad villain, though.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 24 Dec 2013, 20:58

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Thanks ! Agree ...it is visually attractive ..casting poor ! Not easy to cast an excellent Emma or Steed ... I've no idea for either at the moment !

It's extremely difficult, which is why I'm not entirely sure it should be done. I thought Sean Connery didn't make a bad villain, though.

Loved Seán Connery with Honor Blackman in James Bond ! Did I hear, or read somewhere, that Joanna Lumley would love to have played the part of Jane Bond... ? :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Dec 2013, 21:09

martyoreen wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Loved Seán Connery with Honor Blackman in James Bond ! Did I hear, or read somewhere, that Joanna Lumley would love to have played the part of Jane Bond... ? :yes:

Not that I've heard. She's quite proud to have been a Bond girl, though, even though she was a minor one. I hope they don't ever do a Jane Bond--I'd rather they leave Bond's character intact, and not tinker with his gender, or any of the other basic aspects of his character.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 25 Dec 2013, 02:47

Agreed !
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Jan 2016, 08:50

martyoreen wrote:Uma Thurman as Emma Peel ?

ImageThere'sonly one Emma Peel and Diana Rigg as she looks here...looks well rather in fantastic shape is the standard ... 'I didnt mention Mrs. Emma Peel !' says Purdey to Gambit. 'Tut-tut! You never do !' he replies. Purdey looks fantastic too but Emma looks to hold all the aces here :blush:
Previous

Return to The New Avengers