Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The 'Faces' episode

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jul 2009, 18:08

Re: The 'Faces' episode

Oh I love the bit in Gambit's flat. The way she just sits down and casually holds his toothbrush while he's looking all over for it. Such a great little relaxing moment while they're just chit-chatting a bit :wub:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Jul 2009, 18:31

Philippa wrote:Oh I love the bit in Gambit's flat. The way she just sits down and casually holds his toothbrush while he's looking all over for it. Such a great little relaxing moment while they're just chit-chatting a bit :wub:

It's great because they're so relaxed and comfortable around each other, and playing with his toothbrush is such an intimate little thing. I love the way Gambit says "Ciao" too--so nice and quiet, like it's their own little private good-bye. But they're not even really flirting in it--even when Gambit talks about Craig fancying Purdey, it's more like a fact or a joke than jealousy, and Purdey sort of waves it off. She doesn't seem interested. Of course not. She "adores" Gambit, remember? :wub:

And of course Purdey's American accent is hilarious: "All right, Mike Gambit, we know you're in there. Come out with your hands high!" :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 05 Jul 2009, 18:37

Timeless A-Peel wrote:And of course Purdey's American accent is hilarious: "All right, Mike Gambit, we know you're in there. Come out with your hands high!" :lol:

Haha, Joanna with her accents... She's a funny one. I've heard her going Dutch (:lol), French and American, but the result is always good fun.

I love the playing with the tooth brush thingie, such an intimate and cute moment. Involves some good humour too: ''You're packing!'' ''Ah, that must be A for observation!''
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jul 2009, 18:39

This is just an amazing episode all round. Whether it's the storyline, the dialogues, or just the random Purdey/Gambit banter. It's fantastic!
And Purdey's American accent is hilarious :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jul 2009, 19:03

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:And of course Purdey's American accent is hilarious: "All right, Mike Gambit, we know you're in there. Come out with your hands high!" :lol:

Haha, Joanna with her accents... She's a funny one. I've heard her going Dutch (:lol), French and American, but the result is always good fun.

I love the playing with the tooth brush thingie, such an intimate and cute moment. Involves some good humour too: ''You're packing!'' ''Ah, that must be A for observation!''

She does Canadian, too, in Forward Base, although it never sounds like any Canadian I've ever heard. :lol: Her American's hilarious, though.

I love how she says "You're packing!" too. She sort of sits up like an excited little kid--"Where you going Gambit? Huh huh huh? Where? Where? Will you bring me a present?" :lmao: But the toothbrush bit is priceless. Makes me think of a Scissor Sisters lyric: "Life's been so much better with your toothbrush by the mirror." Aww... :wub:

It is a great episode all the way around, especially for Purdey/Gambit interaction--her laughing at his joke about the appendix, or him glaring at "Lolita" because he thinks it's almost insulting who they've chosen to replace Purdey. And there's something really hilarious about watching "Terry" try to "learn" how to say "I'm looking forward to it." And the angst! Do you see the way she looks toward Gambit's flat when "Terry" says he killed him and left him in there? Poor girl. :crybaby: Brilliant ep.
<<

Louise

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 06 Jul 2009, 19:33

Have loved reading through this thread. Definately my favourite episode!

"Assume the position"
"Trust you to think of that position!!"

I love the way Purdey runs her finger across Gambits table as though inspecting the cleanliness of the place!!
'and I happen to like marshmallows....!'
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 Jul 2009, 20:23

Louise wrote:I love the way Purdey runs her finger across Gambits table as though inspecting the cleanliness of the place!!

Haha, oh she definitely does! Judging by the scenes that were filmed in Gambit's apartment, I think it's safe to say that he's a bit messy. Dust on the table, unpacked boxes everywhere... I wonder if Purdey could live in such a mess! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Jul 2009, 00:12

Louise wrote:Have loved reading through this thread. Definately my favourite episode!

"Assume the position"
"Trust you to think of that position!!"

I love the way Purdey runs her finger across Gambits table as though inspecting the cleanliness of the place!!

I like that, too. Purdey's so terribly judgemental! But I think Gambit must bring a cleaning woman in--I can't see him scrubbing floors and doing the vacuuming, can you? :lolol: My favourite bit of mess is his clothes lying all over the floor in Last of the Cybernauts. He does dishes, though--you can see them in the draining rack in the background.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Apr 2011, 12:37

From Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 site. It appears that Terry Walton has reformed and taken to gardening. No more in-ter-course then, eh? :lmao:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jerem ... ing-seeds/
<<

Philippa

Post 23 Apr 2011, 12:48

HAHAHAAHA brilliant :lmao:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Apr 2011, 12:52

Philippa wrote:HAHAHAAHA brilliant :lmao:

I wonder if the poor guy knows that at one point he was an alcoholic fond of tweaking Joanna's bum? :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 25 Apr 2011, 14:43

Too funny... :lmao: Great find, Timeless. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 26 Apr 2011, 13:09

Maartje wrote:Too funny... :lmao: Great find, Timeless. :lol:

I'll admit, it took me a couple of seconds to remember just why that name sounded familiar. Then there was the moment of hilarity. :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Sep 2011, 22:48

I'm taking this intensive course in European Union law this term, and the guy that's teaching it is Irish. I'm posting this here because his accent changes a bit depending on what he's saying and how he's saying it, and at times he sounds exactly the way Gareth does when he's playing Terry Walton. Everyone always picks on Gareth's Irish accent, but I've got an actual Irish guy that proves he got it right. Somehow this makes me feel better. :grin:

That is all. :wink:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Sep 2011, 13:17

Glad we could be of assistance :wave:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 18 Sep 2011, 00:26

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'm taking this intensive course in European Union law this term, and the guy that's teaching it is Irish. I'm posting this here because his accent changes a bit depending on what he's saying and how he's saying it, and at times he sounds exactly the way Gareth does when he's playing Terry Walton. Everyone always picks on Gareth's Irish accent, but I've got an actual Irish guy that proves he got it right. Somehow this makes me feel better. :grin:

That is all. :wink:

:lol:

Reminds me of Ross from Friends teaching kids and doing a (really bad) English accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXJzxVS ... re=related
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Sep 2011, 11:13

Haha, nice video you've picked there. I love Monica. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Everyone always picks on Gareth's Irish accent, but I've got an actual Irish guy that proves he got it right. Somehow this makes me feel better. :grin:

Aw, that's cute. I never thought his Irish accent was a really fake one, but then it wasn't even supposed to sound good. After all he was Gambit playing the Irish Walton. :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Sep 2011, 14:18

LunaFive wrote:Glad we could be of assistance :wave:

The EU--providing TNA fans with solace since 1952. :wink:

Avengerdan wrote::lol:

Reminds me of Ross from Friends teaching kids and doing a (really bad) English accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXJzxVS ... re=related

Ah, yes--I somehow missed that one when I watched the show the first time around, but I caught it on repeats. I'd try to fake one, too, but somehow I suspect he'd catch on. :lmao:

Maartje wrote:Aw, that's cute. I never thought his Irish accent was a really fake one, but then it wasn't even supposed to sound good. After all he was Gambit playing the Irish Walton. :wink:

Well, presumably it was supposed to sound real enough that it would be believable to the people he was trying to fool. I know TNA was never supposed to be super true to life, but so many people have made snipey comments about it over the years that it felt good to have some proof that he didn't do too bad a job. :grin:

It was funny, because while we were on break, he came over and asked a group of us, "Can you understand my accent?" and he sounded really concerned about it. My mouth said, "Oh, yes." My brain said, "If you knew all the stuff what I was watching this summer, you wouldn't need to ask." :lmao:

While we're on the topic, Gareth sounds a little Irish when he sings, too. Anyone read about my last site update? :whistle:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Jan 2016, 09:39

Philippa wrote:Just watched this episode again. It never gets old :grin:

ImageGave us Purdey's iconic pose , a pose that captures the essence of Purdey and certainly one other women look at and have their views on :worship: Adele could be suggesting something to Purdey though especially after what took place between the two stunners in the Netherlands :thumb:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 13 Mar 2016, 05:17

Image Joanna Lumley looks remarkably sexy in a voluminous floral dress and perfect spacious boots for showing of her Purdey legs ! Women such as Gabby Logan probably took a leaf out of Purdey's book, were inspired to get their legs and figures in the kind of shape that would turn heads. The high-kicking Ms. Lumley would probably have loved to have done a 'shoot with Gabby :)
Previous

Return to The New Avengers