Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The 'Faces' episode

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 22 Feb 2009, 05:38

The 'Faces' episode

Maartje wrote:TNA, the Faces episode.

Gareth's accent is so adorable: ''who the hell is Purdey anyway?'' :wub:

Most people pick on Gareth's accent, so I find it wonderfully refreshing to hear you say something nice about it. He does such a good job as Terry, looking at Lolita in disgust. You can tell the idea of this crass woman replacing his lovely Purdey is almost too much. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 Feb 2009, 14:32

Re: What are you watching?

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Most people pick on Gareth's accent, so I find it wonderfully refreshing to hear you say something nice about it.

Really? I'm surpise to hear that, he was actually the only one who had me in doubt if they had actually really found a double, haha! He really became a different character, he did such a good job in this episode..

Oh, and you're so right about the whole Terry/Lolita thing, even though you know the two of them would finally end up like that, it remains a brilliant scene. ''I may not be a real Gambit, but you ain't a real Purdey.'' :d
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Feb 2009, 14:36

I think Gareth's accent is great too, I don't understand why people would dislike it.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2009, 17:48

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Most people pick on Gareth's accent, so I find it wonderfully refreshing to hear you say something nice about it.

Really? I'm surpise to hear that, he was actually the only one who had me in doubt if they had actually really found a double, haha! He really became a different character, he did such a good job in this episode..

Oh, and you're so right about the whole Terry/Lolita thing, even though you know the two of them would finally end up like that, it remains a brilliant scene. ''I may not be a real Gambit, but you ain't a real Purdey.'' :d

I believe it gets mocked because it's sort of a stereotypical "lucky charms" sort of Irish, as opposed to the flatter Celtic sounding one. But some people just want a reason to pick on Gambit/Gareth anyway. I think he's great fun as Terry. He actually does some wonderful acting using just his eyes--watch him when Praetor and Mullins are talking about Gambit being at Base 47. His eyes flicker just a bit, and you can tell he's thinking "Oh, no, they're going to go and find out I'm not there." Also love the way he glares at Lolita when she sits on the pool table and ruins his game. And the way he looks at her when she says "Wasn't we?" I could just die. He's plotting murder by that point, he is. :lolol:

And also this bit, before which, if you pay attention, Purdey's just about drooling over Gambit's picture (the truth comes out!)

"All right, so I'm no Gambit. But you're no Purdey, either. She's a lady."

"Who says I'm not a lady?"

"You do. Every time you open your nasty little mouth!" Insert bum tweak here. :wink: (And she brings that bit about her mouth up later, too, when she pushes him into that door. Love it!).

Oddly enough, every time I watch this, I always think Purdey and Gambit aren't Purdey and Gambit after they go back from being Terry and Lolita. I don't know why. Their hair looks wrong. Maybe it's just me. But I love this episode! Lots!

BTW, does anyone have any guesses as to what happened on the boat? Was that true, or did Gambit make it up to test Purdey? And if it is true, why doesn't Purdey remember? Gambit looks so thoughtful, I always think he's actually telling the truth. In which case, well, there's a scene I'd like to see. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Feb 2009, 18:20

Oops I did it again, new topic. :tongue:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:And the way he looks at her when she says "Wasn't we?" I could just die. He's plotting murder by that point, he is.

I love that bit, it's about the closest they've ever come in the whole series - neither of them could have ever been so flirtatious as themselves. I wonder when exactly he realises there is no 'Lolita' at all, it's great though: he really does make her believe he's Gambit's double, and her reaction when she finds out she's been tricked into it says it all.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:BTW, does anyone have any guesses as to what happened on the boat? Was that true, or did Gambit make it up to test Purdey?

I think he made that up really, even though I'm not sure why he's testing her like that. He might wanted to see if he was actually dealing with a real double (Lolita, for sure, would have probably responded to it) or to see if it was the real Purdey? She certainly would have remembered if something like that had happened, haha.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2009, 18:27

Maartje wrote:Oops I did it again, new topic. :tongue:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:And the way he looks at her when she says "Wasn't we?" I could just die. He's plotting murder by that point, he is.

I love that bit, it's about the closest they've ever come in the whole series - neither of them could have ever been so flirtatious as themselves. I wonder when exactly he realises there is no 'Lolita' at all, it's great though: he really does make her believe he's Gambit's double, and her reaction when she finds out she's been tricked into it says it all.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:BTW, does anyone have any guesses as to what happened on the boat? Was that true, or did Gambit make it up to test Purdey?

I think he made that up really, even though I'm not sure why he's testing her like that. He might wanted to see if he was actually dealing with a real double (Lolita, for sure, would have probably responded to it) or to see if it was the real Purdey? She certainly would have remembered if something like that had happened, haha.

I don't think he knew there was no Lolita until Steed gives him that little nod at the very end, and he grns and starts rubbing it in ("He was ten times a better man than you!" "Only ten?") Neither of them figure it out until then. You can tell Purdey's so upset because she's gone and said all these wonderful things about Gambit as Lolita, and now she's remembering every one of them--and she knows Gambit is, too. He's going to have lots of fun with her for awhile now. :lol:

I'm pretty sure he's testing her with the story because he's wondering if she's been replaced already. After all, Steed pointed out that they have no way of knowing she is Purdey, and pretty much tells him to lie to her when he goes undercover. I've never been 100% certain why Steed thinks Gambit is genuine and Purdey isn't, but he obviously doesn't want to take many risks. Poor Purdey--it must be upsetting in the aftermath to realise that Gambit and Steed have spent so much time lying to her. And put her through the wringer when Gambit tells her he's "dead." The way she glances at the door is very well done--you can tell she's imagining poor Mike's body on the other side. :no:

I'm inclined to think there is a boat, actually, and that Purdey doesn't remember because she was more than just a "teeny bit tipsy," as Gambit said. But then I've written it into my fic, so I would say that, wouldn't I? :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Mar 2009, 21:59

Re: The 'Faces' episode

Just watched this episode again. It never gets old :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Mar 2009, 23:00

Philippa wrote:Just watched this episode again. It never gets old :grin:

It doesn't, does it? Watching Purdey and Gambit play their alter-egos is too much fun, know wharra I mean (in a Lolita voice). :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Mar 2009, 23:03

Who says I'm no' a lady?
You do, every time you open that nasty little mouth of yours

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Mar 2009, 23:07

Philippa wrote:Who says I'm no' a lady?
You do, every time you open that nasty little mouth of yours

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, we was just discussing the merits of each other, wasn't we?

Cue Gambit looking so disgusted I half expect him to throttle her right then and there. You can tell he's insulted that anyone so crass would be considered a dead ringer for his beloved Purdey.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Mar 2009, 23:11

One word: in-ter-course. :brows:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Mar 2009, 00:26

Maartje wrote:One word: in-ter-course. :brows:

I love how she stops chewing her gum, then starts chewing it really fast. Panic setting in there, I'd say. :lmao: Then she rebuffs him, and Gambit mutters "By George, she's got it," because they've more or less done the Purdey/Gambit classic exchange, only cruder.
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Mar 2009, 00:32

Ahaha yes she was definitely panicking at that point :lmao:
And now matter what they do, or who they're pretending to be, they can't stop bickering like an old married couple. But like you said, just in a different, cruder way this time :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Mar 2009, 00:34

Philippa wrote:Ahaha yes she was definitely panicking at that point :lmao:
And now matter what they do, or who they're pretending to be, they can't stop bickering like an old married couple. But like you said, just in a different, cruder way this time :lol:

It's liek they know who each other really is at some level. Or they just can't help it because they look like each other. Either way it's funny.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Mar 2009, 11:22

Timeless A-Peel wrote:"By George, she's got it," because they've more or less done the Purdey/Gambit classic exchange, only cruder.

Haha, absolutely! There's so much interaction going on between the two of them, and that's probably why I like this episode so much, and they obviously had a little bit of fun with it while filming. You can't tell whether they know they're just fooling each other or not: Purdey for sure doesn't know, until the very last moment, when she's the last to find out, haha.
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Mar 2009, 11:48

And she can't stand the fact that she's the last one to find out :lmao:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Mar 2009, 11:50

''If he was here now, I...''
''would give him a big kiss?''

She nearly pushed him through the window, haha. :lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Mar 2009, 17:00

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:"By George, she's got it," because they've more or less done the Purdey/Gambit classic exchange, only cruder.

Haha, absolutely! There's so much interaction going on between the two of them, and that's probably why I like this episode so much, and they obviously had a little bit of fun with it while filming. You can't tell whether they know they're just fooling each other or not: Purdey for sure doesn't know, until the very last moment, when she's the last to find out, haha.

They both play their roles very well. There's a lot of stuff to see in the background in this one, mostly Gambit screwing up his face in disgust everytime Lolita does something--sitting on his pool game, using bad grammar, slurping her gum. But then he gets to hear her wax enthusiastic about how wonderful "Mike Gambit" is. She says he's a gentleman, has style, etc. That's why she's so embarrassed at the end. She remembers all the nice things she said about him, and he's seen how upset she is when she's thinks he's dead, and now she can't take it back, and he's going to be ribbing her about it for weeks. No wonder she tries to push him through a door--she can see how happy is! Although I still swear that, the way Gareth reacts when he hits that door, he actually hurt himself doing that. I like the way she tugs his tie at the end though, very intimate, as if to say "Don't ever do that again," and he just winks at her. Notice how happy he is in the tag. :grin: Also pay attention when he's playing Walton, and Mullins tells Praetor that Gambit is at Base 47. Watch his eyes flicker, because he knows there'll be trouble when no one finds him there. Good acting by Gareth.

I think they really enjoyed filming this one, too. Joanna does some brilliant bits as Lolita, and then again when "Walton" tells her Gambit's dead in the apartment. In fact, one of my fanfic buddies wrote an alternate take on that scene, which is here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d4pccjp_81c5q3mz
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Mar 2009, 22:15

Very nice alternative ending. He's genuinely worried about her, so sweet :heart:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Mar 2009, 22:23

Good ending, it would have suited the episode very well... Thanks for posting!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Mar 2009, 05:04

It's quite good, isn't it? She's a talented writer. Hopefully she'll finish some of her WIP's one of these days...
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Apr 2009, 12:37

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It's quite good, isn't it? She's a talented writer. Hopefully she'll finish some of her WIP's one of these days...

WIP's? What's that? :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Apr 2009, 19:30

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:It's quite good, isn't it? She's a talented writer. Hopefully she'll finish some of her WIP's one of these days...

WIP's? What's that? :lol:

Work-in-progress. Fics that are only half-finished, are being worked on, and (presumably) are going to be finished by the author at some point. She's got loads of them, but she sort of switched back to Sherlock Holmes awhile back, and they've been on the backburner.

Mind you, I've got four of my own, so I shouldn't cast stones. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Apr 2009, 19:42

Work in progress. Could've guessed that :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jul 2009, 17:50

Obviously I just watched this one (what with the article and all), and I noticed a couple of lines I'd never really paid attention to before. Notice Praetor tells Purdey and Gambit as Terry and Lolita that they have to "totally trust, respect, and adore each other." Now isn't that interesting--between putting in the files that Purdey feels strongly about Gambit and about the whole "I'm looking forward to it" spiel, plus the "adore" bit, and it seems the files have Purdey and Gambit's relationship figured out better than either of them would admit. And then Purdey proves it when she thinks Gambit's dead of course. Oh, the angst! :wub:

And I really loved the scene where Purdey and Gambit are in Gambit's flat and he's walking around talking to her while looking for his toothbrush, raising his eyebrows at her and everything. Great stuff. :hearteyes:
Next

Return to The New Avengers