Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Hunt/Lumley Screentest

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Sep 2013, 21:14

Re: The Hunt/Lumley Screentest

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:He definitely got a lot of humour in there as it was. But I'm sure he would have done even more given the chance. :yes:

Oh he definitely did :D When Purdey is just casually feeding him orange in the midst of a pretty epic car chase- genius :lmao: But agreed; he would've added so much more :3

That's possibly one of the best scenes in the entire series. I never get sick of watching it. ^^

That's one of my favourite scenes as well :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 06 Sep 2013, 13:23

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:Oh he definitely did :D When Purdey is just casually feeding him orange in the midst of a pretty epic car chase- genius :lmao: But agreed; he would've added so much more :3

That's possibly one of the best scenes in the entire series. I never get sick of watching it. ^^

That's one of my favourite scenes as well :yes:

I think it's possibly a candidate for one of the "classic" TNA moments of the whole show. :yes:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 07 Sep 2013, 21:54

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's possibly one of the best scenes in the entire series. I never get sick of watching it. ^^

One does not simply get tired of watching cute Purdey and Gambit scenes :whistle:
Ahhh, Joanna and Gareth were so cute as those people haha ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Sep 2013, 13:24

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's possibly one of the best scenes in the entire series. I never get sick of watching it. ^^

One does not simply get tired of watching cute Purdey and Gambit scenes :whistle:

This is true. They were pretty brilliant all the way around, but outdid themselves with Purdey and Gambit. :yes:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 08 Sep 2013, 18:51

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

This is true. They were pretty brilliant all the way around, but outdid themselves with Purdey and Gambit. :yes:

Oh, couldn't agree more *hear hear* :thumb:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 19 Dec 2013, 02:58

Would have loved The New Avengers to have continued with Purdey in the lead role and Gambit as her sidekick.....bring it on...!ImageImageImage :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Dec 2013, 14:34

Not sure why Purdey would be the lead and Gambit her sidekick. They were partners and equals. To portray them otherwise would run counter to all the lovely character dynamics. :unsure:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 20 Dec 2013, 00:40

I would have loved a Return of The New Avengers to create a NEW mould ! Let's have the majority of villains , rival agents and schemers female in the new series :thumb: Who better than Purdey to tackle them ? :yes: Taking over from Steed in effect...whose tasks were almost always against male villains, rival agents and schemers ! Gambit , I don't think, would mind at all being a 'sidekick' in the new scenario :thumb: Just because Purdey leads up the team , doesn't mean they wouldn't look on each other as equals and partners :yes: I'd even see the chemistry and dynamics between them become much more exciting :cheer: ImageImage
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Dec 2013, 14:14

I always pictured Purdey and Gambit as running things jointly together when they rose up the ranks, heading things up as a duo and running things in close consultation with each other. Sort of like Mother and Father in the Tara King era, but without the unequal status. :yes: :yes:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 21 Dec 2013, 02:15

Like you Timeless,Iwould always see Purdey and Gambit as equals :thumb: With a lot of female villains , female rival agents and schemers to be dealt with, Purdey's intuition in dealing with such would be superior to Gambit's ! :yes: :yes: Purdey tackling her female adversaries would lead to far better fight scenes. :yes: (not farce!) Gambit sometimes should be given the opportunity to come to Purdey's rescue (as she did farcically in some of his fights :yes: ) Their roles would change according to the opposition-Gambit sometimes heading up the team ! The farcical feel about the scenario, (oft repeated), where the crimefighters are all girls, e.g. Charlie's Angels' of the 1970's, and the baddies are practically all male ,whom these (one woman called, somewhat wimpish girls) always succeed in defeating. Love to see Return of The New Avengers redress this imbalance. :worship:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Dec 2013, 15:52

martyoreen wrote:Like you Timeless,Iwould always see Purdey and Gambit as equals :thumb: With a lot of female villains , female rival agents and schemers to be dealt with, Purdey's intuition in dealing with such would be superior to Gambit's ! :yes: :yes: Purdey tackling her female adversaries would lead to far better fight scenes. :yes: (not farce!) Gambit sometimes should be given the opportunity to come to Purdey's rescue (as she did farcically in some of his fights :yes: ) Their roles would change according to the opposition-Gambit sometimes heading up the team ! The farcical feel about the scenario, (oft repeated), where the crimefighters are all girls, e.g. Charlie's Angels' of the 1970's, and the baddies are practically all male ,whom these (one woman called, somewhat wimpish girls) always succeed in defeating. Love to see Return of The New Avengers redress this imbalance. :worship:

Hmm, well, given the time period, the "mainly female villain" thing would never have happened. TNA didn't feature much in the way of the female baddies. The original series had a few more, but they were largely male as well. The other issue is that pitting Purdey solely against female adversaries is that it goes against one of the major reasons the series was so unique, i.e., that the Avengers women were capable of outthinking and outfighting whoever they came up against, regardless of gender. Same goes for the men, really. Having Purdey only working against female opponents would remove all of that, and insinuating that she's "better" against them just because they're other women undermines her as an agent--she's supposed to be good at fighting the enemy, whoever they are. The same for Gambit. I actually find the way Gambit relates to female enemies to be quite interesting for the time--he doesn't really change his approach noticeably from the way he deals with men. His attitude seems to be, "You're evil, I don't care who you are, don't mess with me." So I'd hate to lose that aspect of his character, just the way I'd hate to see Purdey limited to pitting her wits against women, or to fighting them. I'm especially leery of the action scenes, because they'd probably end up devolving into a bunch of catfights, which are funny once in awhile (Angels of Death), but would get boring and cringeworthy really, really fast. I'm sorry, but I think those would wind up much more farcical than the fights TNA had in the end.

Really, bottom line, I just want to see Purdey and Gambit together, working as a team, fighting a variety of interesting opponents, regardless of whether they were men and women, exchanging witty banter all the while. That's the basis of the Avengers formula, after all.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 22 Dec 2013, 02:53

Disappointed there weren't more female villains ...! :cry: Emma Peel engaged in a couple of great tussles with female villains that certainly were not catfights(no hair-pulling, slapping, scratching, biting etc.) Stylishly done and with deference to the fighting skills of her opponent ! :thumb: Purdey solely fighting female villains... not at all (just more) ! Purdey catfight...not her style at all ...and guaranteed it would not be the style of her female villain opponents either ! When Gambit is floored by a high-kicking Angel of Death, Purdey is quick to say 'Down boy ! More my style !' to Gambit ! What ensues is a bit cringeworthy as no deference is paid to the fighting skills of her opponents ! Purdey is not at fault here, just poor scripting ! Surely if one of them could put Gambit on the floor they should at least have been able to wobble Purdey ! :yes: Purdey recognises a decent female opponent..a pity the scriptwriters didn't as well ! Gambit and Purdey working as a team...of course ... tackling a variety of opponents...certainly ....banter and wit...essential ! Purdey outthinking and outfighting all of her opponents male and female, yes mostly ,but (like Gambit has from her) need assistance from her team-mate... Gambit's attitude spot on Timeless ...Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Dec 2013, 21:24

If it followed the TNA format and wasn't gratuitous about it, then sure, some female villains would be nice. So long as they were well-written and interesting, the way the best Avengers villains were.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 23 Dec 2013, 00:10

100% agree ! Unfortunately, most of the villains in TNA were not exactly people whose appearance and manner would scare anybody... :lol: with the exception of George Chuvalo in Gladiators and the guy who lifted Gambit onto a windowsill in Hostage !
Previous

Return to The New Avengers