Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

The Hunt/Lumley Screentest

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Aug 2013, 13:50

The Hunt/Lumley Screentest

So I broke down and bought myself the French TNA boxset, even though I already have three other TNA sets. Why? The extras. For whatever reason, the French set has the best extras for the series, which isn't saying much (though it doesn't have the Gareth/Brian Clemens commentaries, which I think were recorded after the initial release). Anyway, the one extra I wanted it for more than anything was Gareth and Joanna's screentest for Purdey and Gambit, which they somehow managed to shoot together despite there being lots of other actors still being considered for the parts. We've all seen a piece of it in the live action TNA titles (with Gambit bursting through a door while Purdey moves off to the side), and there are pictures of it in books, but I've never seen the actual test, and I've wanted to forever.

Sadly, it's not complete--there's no sign of the bit from the opening titles, and there's another piece with Joanna fighting a guy that I've found in another promo film for the show that isn't in there, either, so the whole "action" scene seems to be gone. It also doesn't have any sound, sadly, so you can't hear what they're saying, and I'm no good at lip-reading (all I managed to work out is that Joanna says "Gambit" at one point, but that's not really enough to get the gist of what they're saying. :lol: )

But man oh man, it's brilliant! It starts with Joanna's half of the conversation--she's clearly exchanging dialogue with Gareth, but we never cut to him, so we see her sitting there as she listens to him talk. Eventually he walks over and sits beside her, and the chemistry between them is something to behold. Considering that they had likely met approximately five minutes before, they manage to convey a stunning amount of intimate closeness between the characters. They joke and grin at each other like they've known one another forever--it makes me wonder whether this was the exact moment that their 30-year long friendship got started, and according to Gareth, it more or less was. Which is pretty amazing to watch. :wub:

Actually, their chemistry is so good, it looks like Brian Clemens may have actually told them to tone it down, because by the way they keep looking at each other, it'd be pretty hard to not think Purdey and Gambit were having a thing (as opposed to the series, where I'm pretty sure they weren't, just dancing around it). I can see Brian Clemens watching it and telling them that he wanted to keep a little more mystery to it than that. :lol:

They cut that scene eventually, and then there's another, short bit with Gareth, which looks like his half of the dialogue that focussed on Joanna at the start of the last clip. He walks off camera at the end, presumably to go sit beside her. It's frustrating because you can't hear what's being said, but it looks like Gareth may have messed up his lines, because it looks like he looks at the director, and then as he walks out of shot he does a kind of exaggerated wince/"whoops!" expression that's total Gareth and not Gambit. Brilliant. :lol:

Apparently right after they finished shooting this, Gareth and Joanna went and perched on an antique table onset, and broke it. I wish they had that on film because it'd be priceless, but alas they don't. Both Gareth and Joanna immediately thought it was their fault and that it killed their chances of getting the part. If only they knew...

Interestingly, the clapperboard gives the date of the test as February 25, 1976. This is only eleven days before they were introduced as Purdey and Gambit at the Dorcester photocall on March 8, 1976, so they must have made a decision on it pretty soon after this. Joanna must have run out and done a really quick dye-job, because she's blonde there and definitely a brunette in the test!

Anyway, I'm really glad I got the set, because it's totally worth it for the clip, even if it's less than two minutes long. ^^

Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on 09 Aug 2013, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Aug 2013, 08:59

Re: The Hunt/Lumley Screentest

Oh wow brilliant! :squee: It must be so frustrating though that there's no sound because that would've made it just perfect. I love the idea that they hit it off straightaway, and you can just tell by their on-screen chemistry how much they like each other.

And it's pretty amazing how quick they made a decision on the casting. Must've been a really good screentest :yes: Thanks for all this Timeless!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Aug 2013, 10:11

Eleven days? Moffat could learn a thing or two from that :lol: I still can't believe the box sets are so very different, it just doesn't make sense.. Shame about the sound but actually seeing their chemistry probably makes up for it. Thanks Timeless!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Aug 2013, 14:33

Philippa wrote:Oh wow brilliant! :squee: It must be so frustrating though that there's no sound because that would've made it just perfect. I love the idea that they hit it off straightaway, and you can just tell by their on-screen chemistry how much they like each other.

And it's pretty amazing how quick they made a decision on the casting. Must've been a really good screentest :yes: Thanks for all this Timeless!

You're very welcome. :grin: Yeah, I really want to hear what the dialogue is, as it's likely to be one of those great Purdey/Gambit exchanges, and they're delivering the lines with the traditional Purdey/Gambit aplomb. So that's a shame. But to have anything at all is pretty brilliant.

It occurred to me that 1976 might be a leap year, and it turns out it is, so it was actually 12 days between the test and the photocall, but that's still a really quick turnaround. If Brian Clemens is to be believed, he wanted Gareth and Joanna from the start, before they did any interviews and tests. If that were true, it'd explain why everything went so quickly, but even if it's not, the chemistry between them leaps off the screen with such intensity that it'd be hard to pick someone else. You can definitely tell from the episodes that they liked each other, but this is great because it's before they'd gotten to know one another, so you can see how instant it was.

Mara wrote:Eleven days? Moffat could learn a thing or two from that :lol: I still can't believe the box sets are so very different, it just doesn't make sense.. Shame about the sound but actually seeing their chemistry probably makes up for it. Thanks Timeless!

I was wondering how long they sat on Peter Capaldi from test to casting to announcement, but it was probably longer than that! Seeing as Joanna had time to go and get her hair dyed and restyled, she must have had at least a few days advanced warning, so it was probably like a week or less after the test to when they phoned them to say they had the parts.

I fail to understand the logic of TNA boxsets as well. We keep hoping for a remastering of the series like the one the original series just got, but people have been in contact with Canal+ and they say they have no interest in remastering TNA, so the likelihood of a really definitive boxset with loads of extras is probably a long way away. :crybaby:

But the chemistry is definitely worth the cost of the set. I've never seen two people study every inch of one another's face so many times in such a short period--their eyes are flicking up and down the whole time they're face to face. Rather sweetly, Joanna looks a bit shy when the camera's only on her, but the instant Gareth sits down beside her, saying her lines straight to him without the camera in the corner of her eye seems to relax her, and she leans subtlely in toward him. It's easy to forget that at this point in their careers, Joanna was still trying to make her way as an actress and was doing a modelling job to supplement her income, whereas Gareth was the one with all the experience in the Royal Shakespeare Company and the National Theatre. Maybe Gareth could sense she was nervous and tried to relax her? She does seem to grin at him like she thinks he's kind and sweet. I could see that being the case. I just love their friendship. :wub:

There's a pretty (unintentionally) funny bit in there as well, where Gareth ducks out of shot as they do the clapperboard, then bounces back up again. I think this is because the scene is meant to follow on from when he bursts the door and crouches behind the couch for cover, so he's meant to be getting up from the floor again. But watching him going down in the first place is pretty funny. :lol:

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Aug 2013, 10:18

I'm happy for you that you got this set with the scenes. I wish, I could see it too, but I guess it's a bit too expensive for just 2 minutes and I don't speak French anyway :thumb: but thanks for letting us know about that!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Aug 2013, 12:43

LunaFive wrote:I'm happy for you that you got this set with the scenes. I wish, I could see it too, but I guess it's a bit too expensive for just 2 minutes and I don't speak French anyway :thumb: but thanks for letting us know about that!

You're very welcome! :grin: Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the money. But I've been waiting for a decent TNA set with everything for a long time, and it's not coming, so I decided it was worth the money. Thought I'd pass on as much as I could since I'd already bought it. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Aug 2013, 07:23

Timeless A-Peel wrote:You're very welcome! :grin: Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the money. But I've been waiting for a decent TNA set with everything for a long time, and it's not coming, so I decided it was worth the money. Thought I'd pass on as much as I could since I'd already bought it. :lol:

Oh, I totally understand your motivation to buy the set, if I where such a great TNA fan, I would have probably bought it, too! :wink:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 29 Aug 2013, 18:08

Oh gosh I wish I could see this so bad! Maybe its worth buying a boxset in a language I barely understand just to see that Gareth duck and just general Purdey epic ;D I know I'd become too transfixed with it though because off-script stuff always makes my day so I mihgt wait for it to come online :hypnose:
Thanks for the gif thingies. Completed my day :3
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Aug 2013, 21:50

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:Oh gosh I wish I could see this so bad! Maybe its worth buying a boxset in a language I barely understand just to see that Gareth duck and just general Purdey epic ;D I know I'd become too transfixed with it though because off-script stuff always makes my day so I mihgt wait for it to come online :hypnose:
Thanks for the gif thingies. Completed my day :3

It's a pretty brilliant snippet of film for a TNA fan. :wub: What's so amazing is how close they are to how they'd end up playing the characters in the series. Other than Purdey's hair, and the fact that they're dressed like it's casual Friday at the Ministry (Gareth's wearing his favourite article of clothing, jeans, something he'd rarely ever get to do in the actual series after Brian Clemens put the kibosh on them), it could easily be a scene from the show. Except you can tell Gareth's had no gun training yet, because he waves his gun around way too casually for someone who's meant to be crackshot. :lol:

I could make a whole whack of gifs for the whole darn thing. There are loads of little moments where they get a lot across with just their eyes.
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 30 Aug 2013, 12:03

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
It's a pretty brilliant snippet of film for a TNA fan. :wub: What's so amazing is how close they are to how they'd end up playing the characters in the series. Other than Purdey's hair, and the fact that they're dressed like it's casual Friday at the Ministry (Gareth's wearing his favourite article of clothing, jeans, something he'd rarely ever get to do in the actual series after Brian Clemens put the kibosh on them), it could easily be a scene from the show. Except you can tell Gareth's had no gun training yet, because he waves his gun around way too casually for someone who's meant to be crackshot. :lol:

I could make a whole whack of gifs for the whole darn thing. There are loads of little moments where they get a lot across with just their eyes.

Awh that must be so darn cool to see- so it's pretty much just extra Avenger snippets then; just different styles ;D I love that one can see Gambit in jeans: heck, I loved it when he wore the cardigans instead of the suits, too ;D I'd love to see them with the developments yet to come- the gun thing sounds brilliant :L

P.s. I think you should make a whole whack of gifs- they're awesome sauce; but I thank thee muchly for the one you've already made :worship: xx
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Aug 2013, 13:37

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:Awh that must be so darn cool to see- so it's pretty much just extra Avenger snippets then; just different styles ;D I love that one can see Gambit in jeans: heck, I loved it when he wore the cardigans instead of the suits, too ;D I'd love to see them with the developments yet to come- the gun thing sounds brilliant :L

P.s. I think you should make a whole whack of gifs- they're awesome sauce; but I thank thee muchly for the one you've already made :worship: xx

The rhythm of it is very much like a scene from the show--just the way the lines go back-and-forth suggests a classic Purdey/Gambit exchange. They play it very much the way they would onscreen--it's remarkable how quickly they picked up on the characters.

Gareth and Joanna are dressed way more casual than the characters would ever be, though. Joanna's even in trousers and quite practical flat-heeled boots, and Gareth's in jeans, so they're both dressed more practically for action than they would onscreen (I'm sure they would have preferred to do the stunts in those sorts of outfits, but no such luck). But Gareth is definitely holding the gun a little too casually for Gambit, so you can see how much training he went through in a short period (though, to be fair, the gun looks like it's made of pretty lightweight plastic, so he doesn't really have much to work with. It's hard to use something with conviction when it only weighs half an ounce :lol: ). Joanna, though, in a different clip from the test, does one of Purdey's highkicks, and given that she hadn't done any training yet, she kicks really high, pretty much as high as she did on the show. Well done, Joanna! :hypnose:

I loved making the gifs, but man, I always want to make them too long, and they'd end up being huge, so I have to cut them down quite a bit, and it takes awhile. :lol: Glad you like them, though. :thumb:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 30 Aug 2013, 13:57

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
The rhythm of it is very much like a scene from the show--just the way the lines go back-and-forth suggests a classic Purdey/Gambit exchange. They play it very much the way they would onscreen--it's remarkable how quickly they picked up on the characters.

Gareth and Joanna are dressed way more casual than the characters would ever be, though. Joanna's even in trousers and quite practical flat-heeled boots, and Gareth's in jeans, so they're both dressed more practically for action than they would onscreen (I'm sure they would have preferred to do the stunts in those sorts of outfits, but no such luck). But Gareth is definitely holding the gun a little too casually for Gambit, so you can see how much training he went through in a short period (though, to be fair, the gun looks like it's made of pretty lightweight plastic, so he doesn't really have much to work with. It's hard to use something with conviction when it only weighs half an ounce :lol: ). Joanna, though, in a different clip from the test, does one of Purdey's highkicks, and given that she hadn't done any training yet, she kicks really high, pretty much as high as she did on the show. Well done, Joanna! :hypnose:

I loved making the gifs, but man, I always want to make them too long, and they'd end up being huge, so I have to cut them down quite a bit, and it takes awhile. :lol: Glad you like them, though. :thumb:

Awh It's awesome that they sort of just fell into character- obviously it was just meant to be them two who were THE Purdey and Gambit ;D :wink:

I'd adore to just see Mike and Purdey in casuals- and Steed for that :L-, so this must be like a littel treasure trove- maybe its worth buying after all haha ;D And I agree, if the gun was plastic and lightweight, it probably made the job blooming hard for Gareth to look convincing- and seeing as he was already pretty established and epic as an actor. And well, we ALL know what a legend Joanna is... :whistle:

haha it's skill you can make them at all; I haven't the foggiest at all :crybaby: But yuus, they are VERY EPIC :3
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Aug 2013, 17:16

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:Awh It's awesome that they sort of just fell into character- obviously it was just meant to be them two who were THE Purdey and Gambit ;D :wink:

I'd adore to just see Mike and Purdey in casuals- and Steed for that :L-, so this must be like a littel treasure trove- maybe its worth buying after all haha ;D And I agree, if the gun was plastic and lightweight, it probably made the job blooming hard for Gareth to look convincing- and seeing as he was already pretty established and epic as an actor. And well, we ALL know what a legend Joanna is... :whistle:

haha it's skill you can make them at all; I haven't the foggiest at all :crybaby: But yuus, they are VERY EPIC :3

It really is wonderful to see them slip so effortlessly into character, especially when they interact. It makes it clear why they were chosen for the parts, regardless of whether or not Brian Clemens actually wanted them for the roles ahead of time.

I'm sort of surprised how lightweight the gun is, given that I'm 90% sure that all the guns used in the series were real ones, just filled with blanks. But I suppose for a test, they just need something for him to hold. Weirdly, he looks like he has the clip out of it for some reason, and is holding it in his other hand. I don't know why he'd do that, given there doesn't seem to be a reason for it in the scene. Unless it came out or something, in which case it's a lousy prop. :lol:

I always want to make gifs with too many frames, but lots of frames=big files, and I live in perpetual fear that I'm about to crash someone's computer by making them load a huge gif. So I sometimes refrain altogether. :wink:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 30 Aug 2013, 18:11

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
It really is wonderful to see them slip so effortlessly into character, especially when they interact. It makes it clear why they were chosen for the parts, regardless of whether or not Brian Clemens actually wanted them for the roles ahead of time.

I'm sort of surprised how lightweight the gun is, given that I'm 90% sure that all the guns used in the series were real ones, just filled with blanks. But I suppose for a test, they just need something for him to hold. Weirdly, he looks like he has the clip out of it for some reason, and is holding it in his other hand. I don't know why he'd do that, given there doesn't seem to be a reason for it in the scene. Unless it came out or something, in which case it's a lousy prop. :lol:

I always want to make gifs with too many frames, but lots of frames=big files, and I live in perpetual fear that I'm about to crash someone's computer by making them load a huge gif. So I sometimes refrain altogether. :wink:

Awh I'd love to see them bringing the characters into life: I love Purdey/Gambit as much as I love Joanna/Gareth... so to see these people merging between the show and reality... OMG :wink:

Well real or not, I'm sure Gareth looks epic haha! Maybe he just felt like holding the clip for some unknown reason :L Maybe he broke it or something by accident... you know... he's a bit special ;D trolol

haha that's true- I can't load gifs on my phones: I never really thought of that :unsure: Anyhoo; photos, gifs, yadah yadah... love them all :hyper:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 31 Aug 2013, 16:09

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:Awh I'd love to see them bringing the characters into life: I love Purdey/Gambit as much as I love Joanna/Gareth... so to see these people merging between the show and reality... OMG :wink:

Well real or not, I'm sure Gareth looks epic haha! Maybe he just felt like holding the clip for some unknown reason :L Maybe he broke it or something by accident... you know... he's a bit special ;D trolol

haha that's true- I can't load gifs on my phones: I never really thought of that :unsure: Anyhoo; photos, gifs, yadah yadah... love them all :hyper:

I can see Gareth accidentally breaking the gun prop, actually. First that, then the table. :lol: Or he might have had to take it out for part of the test. Or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. :wink:

I'm never entirely sure how many gifs the average computer can take over its internet connection before it causes problems, so I try to keep the size down, just out of consideration. Some sites are known to be gif-heavy, but lots aren't, so having people load huge files without giving them warning can cause problems.
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 01 Sep 2013, 11:41

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can see Gareth accidentally breaking the gun prop, actually. First that, then the table. :lol: Or he might have had to take it out for part of the test. Or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. :wink:

I'm never entirely sure how many gifs the average computer can take over its internet connection before it causes problems, so I try to keep the size down, just out of consideration. Some sites are known to be gif-heavy, but lots aren't, so having people load huge files without giving them warning can cause problems.

I do hope he broke it, you know, calamity Jane... Calamity Gareth? :tongue: Gun, table, serious faces- all destroyed by the Mike Gambit haha!

Oh yeah that's a good point, too: some sites are almost totally gif heavy- (those my phone refuses to load...) and I guess putting loads on a non-gif loaded site could annoy people; but then, that could be funny :wink: Oh, and p.s. I won the bid on the TNA book :dance: xx
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Sep 2013, 13:28

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:I do hope he broke it, you know, calamity Jane... Calamity Gareth? :tongue: Gun, table, serious faces- all destroyed by the Mike Gambit haha!

Oh yeah that's a good point, too: some sites are almost totally gif heavy- (those my phone refuses to load...) and I guess putting loads on a non-gif loaded site could annoy people; but then, that could be funny :wink: Oh, and p.s. I won the bid on the TNA book :dance: xx

Well, the director did comment after he broke the table, "Hmm, a clumsy Gambit?" Gareth did always want Gambit to be fallible and human. He probably didn't want to get that across at the test, though. :lol:

(Happy to hear about the book. :thumb: You'll have to post your impressions of it when you read it. ^^ )
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 01 Sep 2013, 13:37

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, the director did comment after he broke the table, "Hmm, a clumsy Gambit?" Gareth did always want Gambit to be fallible and human. He probably didn't want to get that across at the test, though. :lol:

(Happy to hear about the book. :thumb: You'll have to post your impressions of it when you read it. ^^ )

OMG a clumsy Gambit? That would have been such an adorable touch to the series :') I can just imagine it: Mike Gambit the crack shot does this epic jump-across-a-table-hit, takes down a man then lands on a vase or something- to the disapproving face of Purdey :L
Purdey and Mike. SIgh. :wub:
(I shall, don't worry ;D I'm soo flippin' excited) :tongue:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Sep 2013, 13:50

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:OMG a clumsy Gambit? That would have been such an adorable touch to the series :') I can just imagine it: Mike Gambit the crack shot does this epic jump-across-a-table-hit, takes down a man then lands on a vase or something- to the disapproving face of Purdey :L
Purdey and Mike. SIgh. :wub:
(I shall, don't worry ;D I'm soo flippin' excited) :tongue:

His idea was actually to be the sort of guy who'd save the world and slam his fingers in the car door at the end of the day. But that works too. :wink:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 01 Sep 2013, 13:58

Timeless A-Peel wrote:His idea was actually to be the sort of guy who'd save the world and slam his fingers in the car door at the end of the day. But that works too. :wink:

You have no idea how much I wished that actually was how the TNA episodes went. Sublime. ;D :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Sep 2013, 15:24

SapphiresAndCiggies wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:His idea was actually to be the sort of guy who'd save the world and slam his fingers in the car door at the end of the day. But that works too. :wink:

You have no idea how much I wished that actually was how the TNA episodes went. Sublime. ;D :thumb:

So did Gareth, but he did a good job in spite of not being able to inject as much humour into the part as he would have liked. :yes:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 01 Sep 2013, 15:41

Timeless A-Peel wrote:So did Gareth, but he did a good job in spite of not being able to inject as much humour into the part as he would have liked. :yes:

He did a rather wonderful portrayal of Mike, all said and done :) And there was a considerable amount of humour in there too :lol: x
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Sep 2013, 13:50

Timeless A-Peel wrote:So did Gareth, but he did a good job in spite of not being able to inject as much humour into the part as he would have liked. :yes:

He did a rather wonderful portrayal of Mike, all said and done :) And there was a considerable amount of humour in there too :lol: x

He definitely got a lot of humour in there as it was. But I'm sure he would have done even more given the chance. :yes:
<<

Beth Swift

Target

Post 02 Sep 2013, 19:04

Timeless A-Peel wrote:He definitely got a lot of humour in there as it was. But I'm sure he would have done even more given the chance. :yes:

Oh he definitely did :D When Purdey is just casually feeding him orange in the midst of a pretty epic car chase- genius :lmao: But agreed; he would've added so much more :3
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Sep 2013, 22:34

Timeless A-Peel wrote:He definitely got a lot of humour in there as it was. But I'm sure he would have done even more given the chance. :yes:

Oh he definitely did :D When Purdey is just casually feeding him orange in the midst of a pretty epic car chase- genius :lmao: But agreed; he would've added so much more :3

That's possibly one of the best scenes in the entire series. I never get sick of watching it. ^^
Next

Return to The New Avengers